Fried onions

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Fried onions

Post by Aslanna »

Ok.. Dumb question. But what's a good technique for frying onions? I'm not looking for burnt but something not as slimy would be good. What I've been doing so far is just slicing them (not too thick), separating them, putting some olive oil in a pan and frying on High for awhile, stirring every couple minutes.

Haven't really been satisfied with the results thus far so looking for other suggestions.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Well that's what I do and it works fine, but I'm the crappiest chef in the world. :cry:
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

I use an oil and butter combo and do it on medium heat. It will take a bit longer but should end up good. Throw a bit of parsley on it too if you want. Also, let the butter and oil heat up before putting your onions in.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

I'm not sure what you are after really in terms of flavour and texture, the process of frying is going to break down cell walls releasing liquid this liquid then reduces becoming a caramel from the natural sugars...you could use a pump up sprayer to minimize the oil and use a non-stick pan...Maybe toss them with some breadcrumbs to soak up excess liquid? Or you could fry them then reduce the heat to very low to drive off more liquids retaining the sugars while avoiding too much burning...
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I do onions in oil over fairly low heat for a good while, and I never stir them or anything, I might toss the pan once. That gives a nice sweet caramelized onion.

But I really don't know what you are trying to do.

edit, if i'm grilling outdoors. I make a foil pouch of onions with balsamic and just put that on the grill with whatever i'm making.
Knarlz
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Knarlz »

Not a fried onions thing but...

Tank a medium/large Vidalia onion. ( or other very sweet large white onion)
Peel.
Cut in 1/4s from the top down but do NOT cut all the way through.
Cut out the core from top to bottom ( about a 1/2 inch diamiter hole, don't cut through the base )
Place a beef bullion cube inside and stuff the rest with butter.
Wrap well in foil.
toss to the side of your BBQ or oven bake for 40-50 minutes. ( Do not puncture the foil)
When soft, place in a small bowl, then remove foil.
Pride of nationality depends not on ignorance of other nations, but on ignorance of one's own.
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Re: Fried onions

Post by rhyae »

I saw someone deep fry them in oil for crispy onions. Like onion rings without the batter.
Might try that treatment to varying degrees of crispness and see what you like.
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Fried onions

Post by Tegellan »

If you want them crispy, add a little bit of flour.
Fortune favors the brave!