Tuna recipes?

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Aevian Dreaklear
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: Bisky Campst

Tuna recipes?

Post by Aevian Dreaklear »

Ok so I've been eating like shit for the past few months or so and want to get back to a healthier diet. I got a few different things I can do with chicken so I'm good there. I hear tuna is great for you protein wise and I've taken a liking to tuna salad sandwiches so I'm curious as to what other things I can do with tuna. I'm just using store bought canned tuna. Is that a horrible sin? Other than that question, I'm looking for recipes for tuna. I have very little cooking skills and usually don't have much random ingredients around the house so simplicity would be great. Thanks for any help you guys can give me including a good healthier tuna salad recipe.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Tuna recipes?

Post by Aslanna »

I eat the from-the-can stuff. Nothing wrong with it! But I get the solid white albacore and not the lower priced variety.

And what's up with tuna in oil? omg I hate it when I accidently buy that because some asshat mixed it with the tuna in water stack.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

It's nothing fancy or special, but I eat this fairly often:

1 can solid white albacore in water, drained
3 boiled eggs. whites only, chopped
1/4 cup celery, diced small
1/4 cup carrot, diced small
1/4 cup bell pepper, diced small
2 spring onions sliced thin (use a couple tablespoons of finely chopped yellow or white onions if you have no spring onions)
2 tsp mustard (I prefer a good, grainy creole mustard. Use whatever you like).
1 tsp mayo (1 tsp doesn't add a lot of fat to the 3 servings here, and it makes a big difference to the final mix. Omit it or use lite mayo if you prefer).
salt & pepper to taste
sliced tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes. (sweet 100's and yellow pear tomatoes are also good here - whatever is available to you)
Whole grain pita (or whatever whole grain bread you want)
Broccoli sprouts (or bean sprouts or lettuce)
----
Combine the tuna through the salt & pepper in a bowl and let it sit in the 'fridge for a while. Stuff about 1/3 of the mix along with tomatoes and some broccoli sprouts into a warm whole grain pita.

Follow Aslanna's advice here - get the solid white albacore in water. This recipe tastes like ass and has the texture of used food if you use the cheapo tuna. This sandwich packs a lot of protein and good carbs. I usually have it with a serving of non-fat yogurt and a liter of water.

If chopping / storing the veggies is a problem, you can buy most of the veg ingredients pre-chopped at most supermarkets, but you'll pay a hefty premium for it.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Tuna Helper for the big win!
- Ash
Aevian Dreaklear
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: Bisky Campst

Post by Aevian Dreaklear »

Anyone else got anything for me? I know you guys have stuff, I'm looking towards your direction Pher!
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

When I go backpacking, sometimes I bring a packet of albacore tuna with shells and cheese. don't get the powder stuff. Get the "cheese food". It's simple, easy, packed with protein and carbs. You can add some broccoli if you're feeling saucy.

Bumble Bee is also making some variations, like thai tuna in a packet, which is quite tasty. You can serve it with a side of rice or over top of it. Stay away from the tuna steak in the packet though. It's dry as a bone and not very good.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

I have a few creations I've come up with using canned albacore but I'm almost ashamed to admit I like them. Here's one of the concoctions:

Chop and sweat onion, add albacore, lemon juice and zest, capers and salt/pepper to taste. Toss in pan until thoroughly heated. Add into a corn tortilla with tomatoes and fresh aioli. And voila! You have my "wtf is up with this shit" tuna treat.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Stolen from Aetna site:

Tuna and white bean pita

The classic Italian pairing of tuna and white beans becomes portable in this easy wrap sandwich.

Takes Under 30 minutes
Makes 4 sandwiches

INGREDIENTS
1 15-ounce (450-g) can no-salt-added white beans, such as Eden Foods brand, drained
1 small tomato, diced
1 celery rib, tough strings removed, diced
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon capers (optional), rinsed and chopped
1 teaspoon olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 6-ounce (180-g) can albacore tuna packed in water, drained and flaked
4 whole-wheat tortillas or other flatbreads
4 handfuls arugula or other baby salad greens

PREPARATION

1. In a medium bowl, mash beans with a fork. Stir in tomatoes, celery, scallion, lemon juice, capers (if using), olive oil and pepper. Add tuna and stir just to mix.
2. Place a tortilla or flatbread on the work surface. Place about 1 handful arugula on top followed by 1/2 cup of the bean mixture. Roll tightly. Repeat with the remaining breads and filling.

NUTRITIONAL INFO
PER SERVING
284 Calories
6.8g Fat
1.5g Saturated fat
21.0g Protein
44g Carbohydrate
7.3g Fiber
648mg Sodium
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--