Death of a College Football Team today

What do you think about the sports world?
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Death of a College Football Team today

Post by Sueven »

From what I saw, Nebraska would have beaten OSU.
Can you explain how you came to that conclusion? Nebraska looked pretty impotent. OSU didn't look consistently great, but their defense is murderous, they can run the ball, and they hit big plays here and there.
I haven't seen LSU yet but Florida and USC appear to be on cruise control heading to the National Title game.
Florida and USC both looked great this weekend. Keep in mind that it's week three and both teams have only played one real game. I'd also recommend watching LSU before you get too confident.

So far, LSU hasn't scored less than 44 points in a game. If you combined their three games into one, they're winning 137-7. They're not reliant on any star-- they lost JaMarcus Russell to the top pick in the draft, and they have TWO other QB's who seem perfectly capable of running their offense at high efficiency. Glenn Dorsey might be the best player in college football.

I think the most impressive thing about LSU is that no quarterback has yet finished a game against them. They have knocked out every single quarterback they've played.

That said, it's really hard for any team-- even one of those three-- to go undefeated.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

LSU didn't just lose their stud QB, they lost their offensive coordinator to the Semenholes in Tallycrappy. I'm starting to see why that didn't really phase anyone in Tiger Town. Geaux Tigres!
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Sylvus wrote:Maybe your Nittany Lions can squeak out their first win against Michigan in the last 13 or 14 years, now that we've canceled the season, Raistin.
Guess not, 9 in a row!

Next time you want to make fun of my team, be a fan of a team that's better.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Sylvus wrote:
Sylvus wrote:Maybe your Nittany Lions can squeak out their first win against Michigan in the last 13 or 14 years, now that we've canceled the season, Raistin.
Guess not, 9 in a row!

Next time you want to make fun of my team, be a fan of a team that's better.
EL OH EL!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Doh. When it rains it pours for Michigan.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 30263.html
Some newspaper guy wrote:Penn State might end Michigan's winning streak over the Nittany Lions with a forfeit after Michigan reported using an ineligible player in four games this season, including that 14-9 win at Ann Arbor.

According to Big Ten spokesman Scott Chipman, the conference had no official comment, but he confirmed Michigan had reported the violation and that forfeiture of games is one option. A decision by the compliance and reinstatement subcommittee could take up to two weeks to reach.
If I am Penn State the right thing to do is not make them forfeit. That's not the way you want to win that game. Some scrub special teams guy is not what lost that game for Penn St.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Sabek wrote:Doh. When it rains it pours for Michigan.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 30263.html
Some newspaper guy wrote:Penn State might end Michigan's winning streak over the Nittany Lions with a forfeit after Michigan reported using an ineligible player in four games this season, including that 14-9 win at Ann Arbor.

According to Big Ten spokesman Scott Chipman, the conference had no official comment, but he confirmed Michigan had reported the violation and that forfeiture of games is one option. A decision by the compliance and reinstatement subcommittee could take up to two weeks to reach.
If I am Penn State the right thing to do is not make them forfeit. That's not the way you want to win that game. Some scrub special teams guy is not what lost that game for Penn St.
And the player was not ineligible for the first 4 games. He was ineligible for Big 10 play, as the Big 10 has higher academic standards than the NCAA at large. From the article I read, he was academically ineligible after winter term last year. He took summer classes and Michigan believed that he had fulfilled his requirements, and they later found out that he hadn't done enough as far as the Big 10 was concerned. It's not like Michigan was trying to hide anything, they reported this problem to the Big 10 themselves, and as Sabek said, the guy was just a scrub on special teams. Seems like an honest mistake to me.

I think a forfeit would be unnecessarily harsh punishment, but if that's what they decide, so be it.

Go Blue!
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

Seeing how I knew UM would beat PSU, I did in fact won 200 dollars from a die harder psu fan.

Jopa won't accept the win. He will do as he did in um 78? in the Sugar Bowl where OU did the same thing. He refused the win saying they beat them on the field no matter what.

Needless to say, from 2003 on I have had PSU,USF, and UCF on my NCAA football. So I'll jump on my bandwagon and hope for the best!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Joe Paterno isn't interested in the game being a forfeit, and Michigan self-reported the infraction. Should we be forced to forfeit?
The Detroit Free Press wrote:Paterno wants win on the field, not by forfeit; Big 10 decision on U-M could take weeks
October 3, 2007

FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Winning a game by forfeit doesn’t appeal to Joe Paterno, even if it means a victory over arch-nemesis Michigan.

So as the Big Ten sorts out whether the Wolverines should be disciplined for using an ineligible player during last month’s victory over Penn State, Paterno is concentrating on trying to win games the old-fashioned way.

“I know we got licked,” Paterno said Tuesday. “I don’t have any interest in it. We lost. That’s up to somebody else to make the decision.”

The Big Ten has said a decision on whether Michigan should face any discipline — of which, forfeiture could be an option — may take weeks.

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

What do the actual rules state will happen if a team uses an ineligible player in conference play?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Boogahz wrote:What do the actual rules state will happen if a team uses an ineligible player in conference play?
I believe it's at the discretion of the committee, which is why it could take several weeks to make the decision. As far as the ineligible player's contributions, he only played on special teams, and is listed as recording one assisted tackle.

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sylvus wrote: I believe it's at the discretion of the committee, which is why it could take several weeks to make the decision. As far as the ineligible player's contributions, he only played on special teams, and is listed as recording one assisted tackle.
A butterfly flaps its wings in China and something changes. Imagine what a player that actually assists in a tackle does to a game!

I say they should forfeit. Considering how anal sports are these days (see dirty play by Cheap shot Bob resulting in suspension of Amare and Boris), the rules should be adhered to as strictly as possible so that the honest teams aren't the only ones getting screwed.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

No way!!! If the Patriots weren't forced to forfeit for spying on the other teams play calls, Michigan shouldn't be forced to forfeit for having an ineligible player on the field unintentionally, especially since they're the ones who called out their own mistake!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Sylvus wrote:
Boogahz wrote:What do the actual rules state will happen if a team uses an ineligible player in conference play?
I believe it's at the discretion of the committee, which is why it could take several weeks to make the decision. As far as the ineligible player's contributions, he only played on special teams, and is listed as recording one assisted tackle.
There is nothing about any kind of punishment in the rules? While the actual decision would be up to the committee, there should be something listed about what "could" happen in this type of situation. Granted, his impact on the game was very minor, but the fact that he was allowed to play at all does seem to be the issue. Penalizing the school for breaking the rules seems valid. What the punishment should be is what I would expect to be written into the guidelines. What would stop them from making Michigan forfeit the Penn State game, but allowing Ohio State to just pay a fine if they did the same?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Unfortunately they have not given a specific reference to what rule was broken, so I can't find the rule to reference it. I'm still looking though.

Here's the article I had read about it.
EVANSTON, Ill. - Talking to reporters at halftime of Saturday's game, University of Michigan athletic director Bill Martin said the school may be penalized for using an ineligible player in the season's first four games.

Big Ten Conference officials are expected to rule later this week on what punishment U-M may receive for using freshman Artis Chambers.

Sanctions from the conference could include forfeiture of last week's victory over Penn State, Michigan's Big Ten opener.

"We had a misinterpretation of the Big Ten freshman eligibility rules," Martin said. "We found this out Thursday afternoon. When we did, he's no longer going to be a part of the team for the rest of the year."

Chambers, who enrolled in January, appeared on special teams in each of the team's first four games. He was eligible under NCAA guidelines, but not by Big Ten rules.

Martin said he could not confirm whether the problem is an academic ineligibility, citing federal privacy laws.

"We'll have to wait to see what the Big Ten says," Martin said. "I can't rule anything out at this point."

Members of the Big Ten apply academic standards - in terms of grade-point averages, entrance exam scores and transfer credits - that are slightly more stringent than those allowed by the NCAA.

Because it's a conference eligibility issue, Michigan is only facing disciplinary action based on the Penn State game.

Chambers, a safety from Fort Wayne, Ind., will not play again this season. He will continue practicing and maintain his scholarship.

"I'm not going to get into that, other than to say it's a real disappointment," Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said in his post-game press conference. "That's all."

Martin said Michigan misapplied an older version of mid-semester freshman eligibility rules in Chambers' case.

"This isn't on Lloyd, it's on us," Martin said.
Bolded the only relevant part about punishment. The word "could" leads me to believe that it's open to interpretation.

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Yeah, I have yet to see anything with the exact rule that was broken and what the "normal" punishment would be either. I thought that maybe it was being talked about up there more than around here. Hell, around here, we're just glad that the arrests happened over the Summer (Did Miami recruiters move to Texas after last season?). GPA's are not typically an issue, and Spring Freshmen are allowed to play the following Fall.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

The other relevant quote I saw in another article was:
Michigan AD Bill Martin wrote:"[It won't affect the outcomes of] the first [three] because they were not conference games," said Martin. "We'll have to wait and see what the Big Ten says. I can't rule anything out. I think we should get resolution this week. As soon as we found out, we went to the Big Ten office Thursday afternoon and had discussions with them on Friday."

Martin said Michigan simply made a mistake in applying the rules.

"He came in in January … mid-semester freshman eligibility rules," he said. "They are a little arcane, and we simply misapplied an older version of the rules is what happened."
I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But if the sanctions are open to interpretation, the player had a very minimal impact on the game, and the opposing coach doesn't think we should forfeit, I think it's a little draconian to rule it a forfeit.

If JoePa were up in arms about it, or it had been like the starting left tackle or a guy who had 10 tackles and a sack, it would make sense to me.

And what does a Big 10 forfeit mean? Since the player is eligible under NCAA rules does our overall record stay the same and only the conference record change? Does the NCAA see that as a win where the Big 10 sees it as a loss?

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Maybe the resolution should be a slap on the wrist and clarification of the rules for future incidents.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

hahahahahhahahaha

fucking usc.
Fuck Michigan!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Don't you laugh Zamtuk.
It's an incredibly tough in conference opponent.
hahahahahahahahahahahahaah

Losing at home to like a 40 point underdog.

hahahahahahahahahaha

OMGZ teh Standfordz got up for USC because teh tough PAC 10 conference opponents.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tougher than the Big Ten!

Pac-10 has 4 good teams. Big Ten has one! (maybe one)
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

rofl, maybe one. we ass raped UW, while your premodonna bullshit goteam lost to lowly stanford by the statistically biggest upset in the history of NCAA football (yeah even over UM/ASU) could barely beat them. Your wet dream is to face OSU in the BCS championship game. yet if you win out, you still would probably come second fiddle to Hawii..
Fuck Michigan!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zamtuk wrote:rofl, maybe one. we ass raped UW, while your premodonna bullshit goteam lost to lowly stanford by the statistically biggest upset in the history of NCAA football (yeah even over UM/ASU) could barely beat them. Your wet dream is to face OSU in the BCS championship game. yet if you win out, you still would probably come second fiddle to Hawii..
If you recall, when I compared conferences, I eliminated USC, stating that you could work down the matchups starting with #2 in the Pac-10 Cal and still come out competitive with the SEC (Big Ten isn't even worth mentioning this year as competitive conference from top to bottom) SEC is the best conference this year.

I'd like to see Arizona State vs OhioSU in a bowl game. Sounds like you're a little scared of that matchup. I admit, it'd be pretty fun to watch Hawaii bitchslap OSU around...Hawaii...heh. Even they're better than you this year. Just don't let Michigan beat you so you can face a decent west coast team instead of a surging Stanford or something like that.

ASU beat Stanford 41-3 at Stanford so ASU should be favored by 80 points or so over USC when they come to town. By my calculations the final score should be ASU 97 USC 6

Arizona State, Devil D, earning their way to the top!

Ranking Big Ten and Pac-10

Cal
Oregon
Arizona State
Ohio State
Stanford
Rest of Pac-10
Rest of Big Ten
Michigan
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Your line of reasoning just shows how little you know about Football.

Also, go back and read your own posts in the two threads started about NCAA football this season. Your claim that:
If you recall, when I compared conferences, I eliminated USC, stating that you could work down the matchups starting with #2 in the Pac-10 Cal and still come out competitive with the SEC (Big Ten isn't even worth mentioning this year as competitive conference from top to bottom) SEC is the best conference this year.
is total bullshit.

You included USC is every comparison.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Let's not forget that the Pac Ten served up the first win of the season for NOTRE DAME. That's got to count for some negative points.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Not many teams have as tough a remaining schedule as ASU:

At least they'll have earned their way to a bowl if they manage to win one or two of those top ten matchups remaining on the schedule.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Props for not pulling a Michigan and shitting the bed against piss poor teams. Now shut the fuck up until they beat some real competition.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:At least they'll have earned their way to a bowl if they manage to win one or two of those top ten matchups remaining on the schedule.
They should be in a bowl if they win one more. It doesn't really matter who they beat.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

lol, I would be scared of an ASU vs. OSU matchup? that's hilarious, I actually pray that's the matchup.
Fuck Michigan!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Guess who else is undefeated?!
[Show]