Just got 66 Bug ... Project for the kids

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Phuggs
No Stars!

Just got 66 Bug ... Project for the kids

Post by Phuggs »

Just picked up a 66 Bug, has motor and all , guy said it ran before he parked a year and a half ago (he went to Iraq). We plan on bringing it back to Semi stock condition. Then drop about 3-4 inches in the front 1-2 in the back. What you all think ? Good project for 12 (almost 13) yr old boy and his dad ? I figure 2-3 years of $100 here and there (every month) should get into pretty TITS shape by the time he is ready for it.
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

should have gotten something manly, like an old fj40 land cruiser...
Clatis Shizam/Fogdog Deeznutz -rocking no longer

When I leave come togetha like butt cheeks
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Sounds like a great idea to me. The old bugs are fairly easy to work on if I recall correctly so should be an excellent project.
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

Cheap and fairly easy and straightforward to work on.

You can afford mistakes and the learning curve inevitable of a 13 year old. You really couldnt have done better.
Sendarie
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

How to keep your volkswagon alive for the complete idiot is a must have. I used to rebuild these and make them into show cars. They are great, easy to work on and easy to keep alive if you keep the valves tight and take resonable care. The 66 was a good easy car to keep running to and a cake of a motor to rebuild if necessary (also easy to do with the idiot guide). I refused to work on the 74+ models because of the fuel injections but the 66 should be a solid beast.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

This thread is worthless without PICS! and update it as you do things to it with more PICS!

Great choice for a project car for the adolescent. Lots of learnable traits on that car to transfer to his own vehicles later in life!
Phuggs
No Stars!

Post by Phuggs »

We didnt take any pics when we got it home. It has a little cancer here and there so new Pans are coming , as are Doors/Fenders/Trunk and deck lid. Whoever had this was a BONDO King. shaved all handles and trim holes, even the vents under the back window. Had I think Toyota seats put in with about 50 washers to try to level the seat. Bondo on doors had to be at least 1/4 in thinck.
Motor is there , single port 1600 ( I think). So over my weekend I got the fenders and hood off. As well I ripped the weak lame carpet out. So right now its a shell with wheels.