Couple of questions..

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Couple of questions..

Post by Soreali »

Just a couple questions I was curious about more than anything...

How much would it cost to paint a car a different color? (Blue to Black for example)

And how much would some 17" rims go for? Nothin fancy just chrome..

just curious lol
Timmah.

Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

You could paint your car pretty cheap if you just went the Krylon route. :p

The paint job really depends on the quality. But each shop is going to charge a little different. Best bet is just to call and ask for an estimate. If you aren't planning on keeping the car for a while, I would say it isn't worth it though.

rims vary, but on a rough search I found $1k for a set of chrome 17" generic wheels pretty consistently. You have to make sure they'll actually fit, though; and you didn't say what kind of car it was.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Soreali »

I plan on keeping it for quite some time so I wouldn't want a cheap shit paint job...

And not really sure I wanna drop 1k on rims lol.. as much as i do just dont think i'm willing to part with a grand for um..

god mines so much sexier than that thing..
Timmah.

Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

For just the basic paint job you would be looking at $3000-4000. To do it really well aka door jams and under the hood, seals etc a solid $6000-7500 should do it at a reputable shop. Now this is the price for doing it right...you have plenty of options for cheapo way. But then you wind up with orange peel and runs. It'll look great still under medium lighting and in the dark but a bright sunny day and those paint jobs look like shit.

Wheels all depend on your taste, I'm running on a set of Works 9.5in rears and 8.5 in fronts that I love and those were $3000 for the set...all depends on what your going for.

Pure looks, which I imagine is what your looking for since the Tib isnt much of a racer so I would guess a decent set of 8in wide or maybe 8.5in all the way around you could do some cheap ebay set of like Advan's for $1000 or so.
Sendarie
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Soreali »

Thanks for the help Send!

No way I'm dropping 3-4g's on a set of rims.. I love my car, but I'd rather use the money on something else..
Timmah.

Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

You can find some great deals on rims if you shop around and stay patient. Of course, as Send said if you go for high-end rims expect to drop $2-3K for them easily plus tires which will probably be another $1K for good stuff.

Paint jobs.. you can go to Maaco or whatever they are called and get it done for $350. Then you will go and buy a gun, one bullet and shoot yourself for ruining your car. However, you can get a good paint job for $3-4K. The $6K he mentioned is definitely high-end top of the line. Granted, this might vary on the area but..
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

Yeah Kel thats what I was saying, $3-4k for good external only paint job but you wont get anywhere near jams/engine bay etc that price with a quality job.

To be honest man if you want it black you'll save money by traiding it in for a brand new one that is the color you want it.
Sendarie
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Soreali »

How does that work with a financed car? Will they just payoff the loan on the old car and start a new one or am I paying for two cars?
Timmah.

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Don't forget to update your insurance company with any customization you do as well if you carry physical damage coverage on the car too. Otherwise, they're just covering the car as it was when it was stock.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Soreali wrote:How does that work with a financed car? Will they just payoff the loan on the old car and start a new one or am I paying for two cars?
Don't quote me here, as I'm honestly just guessing. But I would assume they'll deduct the residual value of the car from the remaining principal, and what's left plus any interest you owe, will be refinanced into the deal with the new car.

Again, I'm not a car dealer, and I don't have experience trading in cars that aren't paid for. But that seems logical. Maybe someone else can clarify.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Every car, or simple interest loan for that matter has a payoff amount. You can roll some upside down into a new car, generally 120% of MSRP including T&L (Honda is now doing 130% which is huge... BofA will do anything if you are a 750+ credit score). Every grand you are upside down with good credit is going to cost you an extra 20 bucks on your new one.

Rims? Check Craigslist
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson