Exhaust volume

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Exhaust volume

Post by Aabidano »

Just finished putting a turbo diesel in my VW and am building an exhaust system. The first piece from the donor system was something I thought was the muffler, turns out to be a resonator to damp the the turbo noise. It's sort of a glass pack made for diesel use.

With just that piece on, the car sounds fantastic but is way too loud. Really nice low rumble but deafening at anything above idle. The tone is very nice, way too loud. There's even a little bit of turbo howl left in it.

So anyway, how do I quiet it down and not change the tone? I've got the factory muffler from the donor car (that I thought was a resonator) in the garage, it knocks the exhaust noise down to a whisper. With the factory set up you can barely here it running which really isn't too bad either.

I'd rather be able to hear it a little bit, sounds pretty cool. Very different from a ricer :)
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

just buy an aftermarket muffler to replace that donor one you have. They usually have larger intake and out going pipe sizes, so that's the tricky part on which to buy.

I think most auto stores carry magnaflow or dynaflow. They have tighter packing inside them, and usually are flow thru, meaning just two 15 degree bends in them, not two 180 degree bends, so they let more noise thru at the same time.

edit: also, you can cut open the donor muffler, dig out some packing, weld it back together, and get the same result, almost...but its free.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Put a FlowTech Raptor on it last night, pretty quiet running around the neighborhood. Little louder than stock, I assume it flows.

Need to renew the tags before I can take it anyplace farther :)
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."