Wondering about this specific term

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Wondering about this specific term

Post by Chidoro »

When news reports or auto makers refer to "sharing a platform" are they essentially talking about the design dimensions/materials overall, just the frame-rigidity-engine mount locations or what? "Y car uses a a 2 inch stretched platform of X car" makes it sound like it's just the basic frame. I have the general idea of what they are trying to say but was looking for something more specific.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Here's the first search result I found.. There's more out there!
In the automotive world, from a consumer's point of view, a "platform" is a set of characteristics shared between several vehicles.

From a manufacturer's point of view, it is the other way around: The platform on which a vehicle is built is the fundamental basics on which the rest of the vehicle can be built. This can be compared with building a house: If you build a foundation and then stop building, a skilled architect can turn the building into a whole array of different buildings, limited only by the limitations of the foundation.

Originally, an automotive platform would consist of the floor pan (engine bay + the steel structure on which the rest of the vehicle is built), with suspension and driveline.

Currently, however, the definition has started to blur - as more and more manufacturers make parts for each other, it is starting to be difficult to tell which families of platforms still belong together. Volkswagen Passat, for example, shares the platform with Skoda Superb: same suspension, same floorplan, and even the same engines. Not strange, perhaps, when keeping in mind that Skoda now is fully owned by Volkswagen. More interestingly, however is to observe that the swedish-desinged Volvo V40, is built on the same platform as the japanese-designed Mitsubishi Carisma. Similarly surprising is that the Jaguar X-type shares a platform with the Ford Mondeo, that the Dodge Viper is on the same platform as the Dodge Dakota, and that the Chrysler PT Cruiser shares most fundamental characteristics with the Chrysler Neon. The new generation Chrysler Neon shares the same platform as the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO - yes the famous rally cars.

Currently, then, the definition of a "platform", is where the general mount-points fall on a vehicle. When the mounting points fall on the same places (i.e the suspension and the car's body strengthening anchor points are the same), it means that the different vehicles can in theory be built on the same assembly line, thereby saving production costs.

On a more fundamental level, however, putting a lot of research and development into the fundamental levels of car design means that once a manufacturer has a good foundation, they can build a whole series of vehicles on the same platform. These vehicles will not only share many of the same components, which can then be mass-produced cheaply, but they will also share crash characteristics and other safety-related issues. It also means that once the basics are in place, manufacturers can concentrate on licencing the platforms to other manufacturers, or create a small army of vehicles built on the same platform.

Volkswagen's relatively new PQ35 platform, for example, is the basis of their New Beetle, Golf, Golf Plus, Bora and Passat vehicles. It also houses a series of completely different vehicles, such as the Skoda Octavia, the Audi TT, the Audi A3, the Seat Altea and the Seat Toledo.

As the automotive industry progresses into heavier co-operation and more competition, new platforms will be developed, but in today's mass-industrial world, buiding vehicles from scratch, with different underpinnings, is just not an option.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

It means it's the same car as far as frame is concerned.

For example, Ford and Mazda are both owned by Ford Motor company. Therefor their small size trucks, as well as their SUV's are actually the same car, just under a different name.

The Mazda Navajo is the Ford Explorer, which is the Mercury Mountaineer, etc.

Functionally, it's the same car. The badges are different, the layout of the interior might have minor cosmetic changes. But as far as structure, and mechanics...it's the same thing.

This has been going on for like 30 years I'd estimate...usually referred to as 'sister cars' but now automakers are starting to use it to a much greater degree.

It's most noticeable in GM and Ford, and their 12 billion subsidiaries.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

If you're looking at a car you're planning on keeping a while a widely shared platform means greatly increased parts availability and decreased costs as well. Your chances of getting a mechanic who's seen your cars problem previously is much better too.

The reverse is true too, getting oddball parts for an out of production, low volume car can be a serious pain in the butt. Same with getting it repaired.

They all do it, VW takes the prize from what I've seen though. Go go German labor laws.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

platforms generally share frame and drivetrain, not necessarily engine and suspension.

VW's are horrifically expensive to repair but run off 3 platforms... go figure
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:VW's are horrifically expensive to repair but run off 3 platforms... go figure
I've heard that about numerous makes. I wonder how much of it is the people who own them having things fixed right instead of just fixed, and how much is extra expense due to high parts cost or poor serviceability.

A couple folks at work own Mercedes for example, a trip to the shop always seems very expensive for them. Until you look at what they actually do to the car, you get what you pay for. Not that I'd want to pay it.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:platforms generally share frame and drivetrain, not necessarily engine and suspension.

VW's are horrifically expensive to repair but run off 3 platforms... go figure
In Euroland, VW's aren't all that bad - I'm guessing that because *all* of the cars on the VW platforms are sold here, the cross-platform benefits really come into effect. I doubt there are many Skoda or Seat dealers in the US?
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Interestingly enough, the cars sold in Europe are quite often different from the cars sold in the US. And often better quality. I'll use the Ford Focus as an example, it SUCKS in the US but is a very very nice car in Europe. Same with VWs, I have not heard ANY issues here in Europe, but a lot of people complain in the US. Although it seems mostly people who have never owned one do :) A couple of friends of mine drive Jettas and Passats and love them.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

For example, Ford and Mazda are both owned by Ford Motor company. Therefor their small size trucks, as well as their SUV's are actually the same car, just under a different name.

Functionally, it's the same car. The badges are different, the layout of the interior might have minor cosmetic changes. But as far as structure, and mechanics...it's the same thing.

This has been going on for like 30 years I'd estimate...usually referred to as 'sister cars' but now automakers are starting to use it to a much greater degree.
That's not exactly true.

The Pontiac Fiero (mid engine, rear wheel drive, 2 seat, 'sports' car) was built on the same platform as the Chevette.

The Toyota Matrix is based on the Corolla platform but you'd be hard pressed to see the similarities even after test driving both back to back.

The Ford Focus, Mazda 3 and Volvo S40 are all based on the same platform. I doubt anyone would confuse a S40 with Focus.

There are countless other cars that share platforms that have more differences than similarities to their 'sister' cars.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

miir wrote:

That's not exactly true.

The Pontiac Fiero (mid engine, rear wheel drive, 2 seat, 'sports' car) was built on the same platform as the Chevette.

The Toyota Matrix is based on the Corolla platform but you'd be hard pressed to see the similarities even after test driving both back to back.

The Ford Focus, Mazda 3 and Volvo S40 are all based on the same platform. I doubt anyone would confuse a S40 with Focus.

There are countless other cars that share platforms that have more differences than similarities to their 'sister' cars.
The s40 is a steaming pile of... Ford
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Uh the S40 is a nice car.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Kelshara wrote:Uh the S40 is a nice car.
It's a decent car, Volvo quality is far below what it was 10 years ago though. It's a 150k mile disposable design, rather than 500k endlessly repairable one. Take a look at a 240 or 760 alongside anything they've introduced since. Huge difference.

They (Ford) brought Jaguar and a couple other brand's quality way up, and reduced Volvo's quite a bit. Prior to the early 90s that was one of the best brands in the world IMO, now it's a middle of the road one.
miir wrote:The Toyota Matrix is based on the Corolla platform but you'd be hard pressed to see the similarities even after test driving both back to back.
Pop the hood or look underneath it, you'll see almost every component interchanges. Sheet metal is cheap and doesn't cost them warranty, manufacturing and inventory dollars.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

miir wrote:

That's not exactly true.

We are both correct. Those cars share the same frame (not body).

Both are common occurences nowadays.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

I've got 2 friends with S40s and they both hate them but are stuck for another year or 2 with the payment. They have actually had more problems than my mom has had with her Focus and while there are definite differences there are big similarities...

For instance the trunk is EXACTLY the same... so much so they both have a tendency to get stuck. I had to lift the trunk open on my friends just before Christmas because she couldn't get it open. When she asked how did I know it would stick like that I told her that my mom's did the exact same thing. She said "oh, your mom has a S40?" "Nah, a focus." Which sadly almost broke her heart that her $30K Volvo was basically a $15K Focus with different badging and better seats. At which point she said that her husband told her not to buy a peice of shit Ford to start with and that hearing it was the same as the Focus would be a great Christmas present :)

Marb
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Marbus wrote: Which sadly almost broke her heart that her $30K Volvo was basically a $15K Focus with different badging and better seats.
Well that and a shitton of safety equipment.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Speaking of platforms, I remember a mate sliding a 1998 dashboard into a 1970 Ford sedan. There were no modifications to make, it had been exactly the same mounting points and backend shape for (at least) 30 years, and I'd hazard a guess it's the same now.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.