Something I'm going to miss

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Something I'm going to miss

Post by Chidoro »

I was just thinking about this the other day while driving, when I finally replace my car, I'm going to really miss having the odometer physically roll. I don't know why, but the actual rolling of the numbers seems far more satisfying than a 'blip' new mile number. It was pretty cool seeing all of the numbers roll to 100k (took a cell phone picture of it, that and when I hit 111,111 :vv_bonk: ).
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Was kinda weird for me too when my acura was gone and I got my audi. Now I am used to it and when I get into a car that doesn't have a digital odometer like mine it's strange.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

very few people will drive a car to 100,000 now a days
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:very few people will drive a car to 100,000 now a days
Now is that mostly because cars don't last that long or because people just have to have the latest models they 'upgrade' every 2-3 years?
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
nobody
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by nobody »

or b/c they are shitty ass drivers and destroy it w/in 2-3 years.

any car made now-a-days should make it to 100,000 easy as long as you change the oil and don't drive it like i do.
My goal is to live forever. So far so good.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. - Benjamin Franklin

خودتان را بگای
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Honda's don't do a first tuneup till 110k on the 4's and 105k on the 6's, most people trade them in because lets face is, most people want a car that isn't 7+ years old, which at 12-14k miles a year is about right. Nowadays it really makes sense with the 'imports"(most honda's and toyota's are made in the US and canada, and both companies will be 100% in 09) to lease, with the residuals staying nice and high (this employee discount program is going to take a group of cars that held no value[GM, chrysler, ford] and actually lower the residual value another 5-7% at 36 months, it's going to hurt every owner in the long run but they don't see that now). You can literally cut your monthly payment by 1/4 to 1/3 by doing a lease with those 2 companies... ex... right now 2000 down can get you an accored LX for 200/month including tax 36 month, car is never out of warranty so don't worry. Same purchase would be actually 339.42 (Accord leases are rediculously low but I used the same car cost... the money factor is stupid low right now on the leases). I will never buy a car again, it really makes no sense if you drive one of those 2 companies cars.

Jefferson
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

But if you do a lot of commuting leasing isn't really the best option. Unless things have changed since last I looked. 12,000 miles a year doesn't cut it. That getting charged for mileage thing is what keeps me away from leasing.

--
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

So tailor the lease to 15k...18k... if you are driving something that holds value, a lease is always the better option, that same lease at 18k a year runs 256, still almost a hundred less a month, add into that by the time you are done paying off a 5 year loan at 18k a year you would have a car with 90k on it, worth in this case about 4000 cause of the miles, you spent 3000 extra of that in the first 3 years alone

Jefferson
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I would lease, except like aslanna said, the amount of miles I put on a car a year is way over reality in that situation. I have had my A4 for a little over a year and I have put just over 30k miles on it. I just plan on selling my car before it hits 90k miles and starting over again. It is shitty and a terrible investment but for me, I don't see another option.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I put about 30,000 miles on my car the first year I had it, too. Since then I moved and after 8 years I'm only at 75,000 miles. I seldom drive it now that I walk to work. But I'm more than likely moving farther away from work at the end of September so will have to drive again. But I plan on driving this until it dies since it's paid for. I just don't care about having the latest and greatest and would rather spend that car payment elsewhere. Or save it.

The thing about leasing is that you're perpetually writing out a check for your car payment. I've had my car paid off over three years now. Even at a straight $200 a month (not including downpayment) that's $7200 I've effectively saved.

But it's nice that you can choose different mileage options. That's new to me. I haven't looked at leasing since I bought my car back in 97. Back then I don't seem to remember that option as being available.

--
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

leases used to suck, and if you want... say a dodge they still do. The key is to lease a car with a residual at 36 months over 53%, other cool thing is you only pay tax on the part of the car you use, so in this case you save close to 800 in sales tax alone. And yes if you have a car that is paid off it's great to drive them into the ground, but once those little repairs start happening back to back... you end up spending more then 200 a month, the leased car never goes out of bumper to bumper

Jefferson
Sheryl
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sheryl »

Aslanna wrote:The thing about leasing is that you're perpetually writing out a check for your car payment. I've had my car paid off over three years now. Even at a straight $200 a month (not including downpayment) that's $7200 I've effectively saved.
this is why i opted to purchase a car as well, rather than lease. i paid it off 2 years early (in 2000) and i haven't had a car payment for 5 years now. it's a 1997 and i have about 105k miles on it. i've spent maybe $400 total in repairs on it (knock on wood), and $200 of that wasn't even mechanical, it was on a window repair.

the trick is to try and purchase a car that will last 7-10 years and still be reliable. however, repair costs and the inconvenience of having a car in the shop all the time sucks, so as repairs become more and more frequent you just have to be aware of it and know when to throw in the towel and buy something new.

leasing and purchasing are both viable options, it just depends on your current situation and personal preference.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

That's why you should choose a car that has a reputation for reliability if you intend to drive it into the ground. I purchased my '98 civic ex in november '97 and I am at just about 136k. I haven't had a car payment since December of 2000. If I was to estimate the costs of maintenance averaged annually, it works out to ~$80 a month at worst. Nothing goes wrong with it. It's almost scary considering driving by me isn't exactly smooth highway mile accumulation. In addition, my driving habits changed dramatically of those years. First couple were driven very hard, ~59k after two years, the next four were driven very light needing only to go to the train station and the last couple have been hard again.

However, I really like the so many of the new cars out there these days. They are styled much better, much safer, more comfortable, improved sound isolation, faster, etc. than an eight year old economy sedan. On the other hand, since so many of the new cars throw in the kitchen sink, the electronics and computers in the car seem like a liability. I went to lunch w/ a co-worker last friday and we took her 2004 saab 93. The blower on the ac started to turn on and off on the way there and didn't even blow at all on the way back. She said little nagging things like that happen occasionally. Now I know saab isn't exactly the pinnacle of reliability, but I've never had little nagging things ever happen. It will be hard to give that up
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Cars aren't my thing. I bought a used one for cash after my last car, which I spent 6 years paying off, was totalled within 2 months of my last payment. I've had no car payments or any other debt for the past 6 years. Stress free living.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Repair costs not including maintenance for my '92 Toyota truck (4WD extended cab ) have been about $250 since I bought it new. That was for a radiator at 100k and a clutch around 125k and I don't really count the clutch as a repair at that mileage. It's seen some fairly heavy use, off road, towing, etc.. but I'm somewhat anal about maintenance.

It's got 135k-ish on it now, and I've no complaints whatsoever. At a guess I'm good for another 70k or so before I need to concern myself at all about engine\drivetrain issues.

*Edit - clarified it a bit.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

So, out of curiosity, what car did you decide on Winnow?
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Chidoro wrote:So, out of curiosity, what car did you decide on Winnow?
Nothing but the best
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

I had a late model Z71 and I loved it but with 2 kids now HATED the payment. Back in March I sold my truck and bought a 91' Mercedes 300E. It's got about 150K but is still whisper quite on the Interstate, runs well, has cold air and a lot of head room... gets me to work and the airport which is really all I need and I have no car payment... after almost 15 years of always having one it's a damn nice feeling. I think Winnow and Z have the right idea :)

Marb
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Nothing but the best
Haha, I drive a Del Sol :P

120k miles, no car payments for the last 3 years, 36 mpg, and it runs like a dream. All I've had to do was replace a muffler, a power antenna, new tires, and do regular oil changes. I would still trust it to take me anywhere in the country.

I love that car.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Nothing but the best
Haha, I drive a Del Sol :P

120k miles, no car payments for the last 3 years, 36 mpg, and it runs like a dream. All I've had to do was replace a muffler, a power antenna, new tires, and do regular oil changes. I would still trust it to take me anywhere in the country.

I love that car.
Honda's kick ass

Jefferson
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

It makes me laugh when I see people driving little ass cars like the del sol. I just hope you dont act suprised when some idiot rear ends you - and you spend 2 months in the hospital because there is nothing to your car to protect you.
Honestly, I think I would take my chances on a motorcycle over a car that small any day, just too dangerous.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Funkmasterr wrote:It makes me laugh when I see people driving little ass cars like the del sol. I just hope you dont act suprised when some idiot rear ends you - and you spend 2 months in the hospital because there is nothing to your car to protect you.
Honestly, I think I would take my chances on a motorcycle over a car that small any day, just too dangerous.
Yes the answer, as proven all over the rest of the world is for everyone to drive hulking peices of metal instead of the norm being small efficient cars... makes perfect sense to me?!?!?111

If every car in the US averaged 41 mpg, we'd need no foreign oil...

Jefferson
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:It makes me laugh when I see people driving little ass cars like the del sol. I just hope you dont act suprised when some idiot rear ends you - and you spend 2 months in the hospital because there is nothing to your car to protect you.
Yes the answer, as proven all over the rest of the world is for everyone to drive hulking peices of metal instead of the norm being small efficient cars... makes perfect sense to me?!?!?111

If every car in the US averaged 41 mpg, we'd need no foreign oil...
The whole big car thing is just an arms race, eventually they hit each other and you get this: http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/20 ... 427299.htm

Saw the footage on TV last night... horrific doesn't begin to describe this.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

It makes me laugh when I see people driving little ass cars like the del sol. I just hope you dont act suprised when some idiot rear ends you - and you spend 2 months in the hospital because there is nothing to your car to protect you.
Del Sols have an excellent saftey record. There isn't much more to say in order to counter your opinion other than it's unjustified and wrong based on the facts. Some people just plain don't like small cars. /shrug
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

Small cars are really no less safe than big cars by default, it is really all in the construction. As others have said Funk, you are entitled to your opinion, but it is wrong in this case, and they are sure as hell a lot safer than a motorcycle.
Fortune favors the brave!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Holy ignorance.

Small and midsized cars perform just as well (and better in some cases) in crash tests than large cars/trucks.

Check for yourself at the NHTSA website.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Hey, you got a Matrix?
How do you like it?

I'm going to be looking for a new car in about 6 months and that was on my short list. The new Mazda 5 is looking pretty nice for my needs as well.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

The Matrix is great. The ride is very smooth, the gas mileage is pretty good too.

We had bought it cause we were planning on starting a family and it was an economical, cool looking car with a lot of space. You're essentially buying a 5-door version of the Corolla.

We've been driving it for 2 years now and have yet to have a problem with it.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

My wife had a Vibe as a rental on a business trip in Feb. She wasn't sure if it would be big enough for our soon to be family but she genuinely enjoyed driving it. Add some of Toyota's fit and finish, and the Matrix is up there on her short list if we find it large enough.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Well, first off I went to that site, and they don't even have an A4 as an option, so I can' t post my cars rating. But what I can say is I garuntee you, reguardless of what any organization says, if one of these tiny cars got hit on the drivers side door at 55 or so mph and pushed 30 feet uphill like happened to me a year ago, I don't think they would have had the same results.

And no, I do not like any of these small sized cars, I think they are ugly as hell. As much as I know I will be insulted for saying this, I refuse to give up the speed and luxury and good looking exterior that I Expect out of a car I drive for fuel efficiency. That being said though, that is not why I made the comment I did about smaller cars.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Well, first off I went to that site, and they don't even have an A4 as an option, so I can' t post my cars rating
You lose at the internet.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2643.html

The results are strikingly similar to those of the Matrix.

But what I can say is I garuntee you, reguardless of what any organization says, if one of these tiny cars got hit on the drivers side door at 55 or so mph and pushed 30 feet uphill like happened to me a year ago, I don't think they would have had the same results
And I can guarantee that you are wrong.
100% wrong.

These 'organizations' specifically test front, rear and side impact on every vehicle that is to be sold in your country.

And no, I do not like any of these small sized cars, I think they are ugly as hell. As much as I know I will be insulted for saying this, I refuse to give up the speed and luxury and good looking exterior that I Expect out of a car I drive for fuel efficiency.
You're certainly entitled to that opinion but it has nothing to do with safety. Car size has nothing to do with safety.
You could be thinking your are super-uber safe in your ultra luxurious Cadillac Escalade, surrounded by FOUR TONS OF AMERICAN STEEL but you'd actually be more likely to die in a side impact collision than someone in a Toyota Corolla.

It's obvious you haven't the slightest clue about vehicle safety...
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

miir wrote:
But what I can say is I garuntee you, reguardless of what any organization says, if one of these tiny cars got hit on the drivers side door at 55 or so mph and pushed 30 feet uphill like happened to me a year ago, I don't think they would have had the same results
And I can guarantee that you are wrong.
100% wrong.
His example is probably one of very few scenarios where a truck\SUV might be safer. Much like the 1 in 10,000 chance that wearing a seat belt or helmet for that matter makes things worse. That's also a long way past what they test for at a guess. In any other situation you're better off in just about anything classed as a car in the US.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

His example is probably one of very few scenarios where a truck\SUV might be safer.
SUVs and trucks do have generally higher side impact ratings. But it's not like the lower 4/5 star rating on a compact and subcompact means the car is unsafe.

Overall, SUVs and trucks are much less safer all around. Fatalities due to rollovers are far more common than in side impact.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Anyone who thinks they'd be more safe on a motorcycle than a car of any size has serious issues with reality.

Just because a car is small doesn't mean it can't be safe.

--