Beef Tenderloin

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Beef Tenderloin

Post by Chidoro »

Being reminded of when I hacked myself about a year ago cooking this, I had to find the recipe again. This was an excellent and not too difficult meal. I always use fresh Locatelli cheese whenever Parmesan is called for and make sure you have your butchers twine handy:

3 1/2 pound beef tenderloin
Salt and pepper
1 cup cooked spinach, squeezed and chopped
1/2 cup julienned roasted red peppers or pimentos
6 garlic cloves, sliced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Split tenderloin open down its entire length. Season generously inside and out. Spread spinach to cover inside surface. Top with roasted peppers and garlic. Spri*nkle with Parmesan. Reform tenderloin and tie every 3 inches with butchers twine, to hold in the filling. In a large saute pan heat oil and sear meat on all sides. Roast on a rack in a roasting pan for 15 to 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 120 to 125 degrees F for rare (for medium-rare, roast until temperature registers 135 to 140 degrees F).

It was f'ing magnificent, trust me.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Sounds pretty good, have you done it with fresh spinach?
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I only use fresh spinach regardless of the dish. It wilts in like 20 seconds, if that, once the water is boiled so I wouldn't use frozen anything if I can avoid it.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Made something similar last night. Used:

4lb round roast
1/4 cup finely chopped green peppers
1/4 cup finely chopped red oinion
1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
4 cloves garlic
2 tbsp olive oil

Mixed all ingredients together. Made a pocket in the roast just like you'd do stuffing a pork chop. Stuffed as much mixture inside as I could, and tied it up fairly tight. Baked at 350 for about 35 minutes to ~135 internal temperature.

Came out pretty good, I'd never stuffed a roast like that before. The flavor from the stuffing really penetrates through the meat.

I've got a pork tenderloin in the freezer, thinking about stuffing it and slow cooking it in the smoker this weekend.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

That does sound great. I really need to try it w/ an eye round soon, just to see how well it translates taste-wise at less than half the cost per lb.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

The grocers near the house have really high prices for the better cuts of meat. No tenderloin for me If I'm shopping on the way home :(
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

My grandmother used to pound flank then cover the surface with chopped parsley, parm cheese, breadcrumbs, golden rasins and pinenuts then roll it, tie it off, sear it, and cook it in the sauce with the meatballs and sausages. I have adapted that to any cut I can jellyroll, including tenderloin, it's fucking yum
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Had the leftovers last night, they'd been in the fridge in a covered container overnight with about 3/4" of juice in the dish.

Almost gave me a chubby, the flavor was amazing after sitting overnight. Needs more spinach, and maybe a bit of lime. The peppers, onions and garlic overpowered it.