WoW Warriors

WoW Discussion
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

WoW Warriors

Post by Sionistic »

Ok, 42 Warrior here, and I must say I am enjoying my class. Right now I am going mostly protection.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arms Talents (2 points)

Deflection - 2/5 points
Increases your Parry chance by 2%.

Fury Talents (0 points)

None

Protection Talents (31 points)

Shield Specialization - 5/5 points
Increases your chance to block attacks with a shield by 5%.

Toughness - 5/5 points
Increases your armor value from items by 10%.

Defiance - 5/5 points
Increases the threat generated by your attacks by 15% while in Defensive Stance.

Improved Revenge - 3/3 points
Gives your Revenge ability a 40% chance to stun the target for 3 seconds.

Improved Shield Block - 3/3 points
Allows your Shield Block ability to block an additional attack, and increases the duration by 2 seconds.

Improved Shield Wall - 2/2 points
Increases the effect duration of your Shield Wall ability by 5 seconds.

Improved Shield Bash - 2/2 points
Gives your Shield Bash ability a 100% chance to silence the target for 3 seconds.

Concussion Blow - 1/1 point
A brutal strike that deals weapon damage and stuns the opponent for 5 seconds.

One-Handed Weapon Specialization - 5/5 points
Increases the damage you deal with one-handed melee weapons by 5%.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once my warrior reached 40 and 41, he really started comming into his own. Shields fucking own. I easily double the armor of warriors of my level (that arnt protection of course) and im taking shit 3 levels above me.

I wouldnt call myself a stun machine, but with a 40% chance to stun on my revenge ability, and concussion blow, I stun like hell. Then with my shield block ability, I have a 75% chance of blocking the next two hits, and with the ability only costing 10rage and 6sec cooldown, I can do it every often.

I guess the only problems with my class are that we miss a bit too often. Also our other abilities, even with talents, just blow.

All I need now is a mount :(
Nilaman
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Nilaman »

Warriors have that rush ability. Nothing makes me more mad then when I am grouped with a warrior doing quests and he rushes at the mob I am soloing right before it dies to NINJA!

Fucking warriors.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

I play a 60 warrior on Suramar.

My current setup:

Fury:
Cruelty 5
Unbridled Wrath 3

Arms:
Deflection 5

Protection:
Shield Specialization 5
Anticipation 5
Toughness 5
Improved Revenge 3
Defiance 5
Improved Taunt 2
Improved Shield Block 3
Improved Shield Wall 2
Improved Shield Bash 2
One-Handed Weapon Specialization 5
Shield Discipline 1

Obviously, I've aimed myself towards the "tank" warrior. I was protection up until about 50 at which point I switched to a dual wielding fury spec warrior, and I must say, I solo'd ( grinding that is ) a LOT more efficiently that being protection spec. However, I wouldn't really suggest a fury spec until some later in the game because a lot of the talents seem to compound and compliment one another quite a bit. Switched back to protection at 59.

Never read any of the warrior forums and things, so honestly, I never even noticed the apparent miss rate problem - probably because I never played another class. Soloing to 60 seemed easy enough to me - or easy in comparison to EverQuest, that's for certain.

My only gripe is that I think the protection talents should create more of a gap between warriors and paladins in defensive capability. Other than that, I'm pleased with the class in comparison to playing an EQ warrior.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Drinsic Darkwood wrote:I play a 60 warrior on Suramar.

My current setup:

Fury:
Cruelty 5
Unbridled Wrath 3

Arms:
Deflection 5

Protection:
Shield Specialization 5
Anticipation 5
Toughness 5
Improved Revenge 3
Defiance 5
Improved Taunt 2
Improved Shield Block 3
Improved Shield Wall 2
Improved Shield Bash 2
Shield Discipline 1
In my opinon, Improved Shield Block points 2 and 3 are a complete waste. I'm not a huge fan of the taunt improvement for two points, either. Improved shield wall is .. eh, it's okay I guess. My favorite build is very similar to yours, except I also have 5 points in Tactical Mastery (Arms) and 1 point in Anger Management (Arms).

That helps a lot with rage generation, and unlike Unbridled Wrath you don't need to hit something to get the extra rage. With anger management you get free rage every couple of seconds while in combat. Try it out... get someone to duel you and go into combat mode with out taking/doing any damage and it'll tick up.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Shield Block 2 and 3 have use, the duration increase means you may actually have an opportunity to use the extra block. Not *great* but it does have some use.
Madren
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Madren »

I was a paladin in EQ.

If my friends went alliance, i would have been a paladin again. Alas..

Warriors in Warcraft are sufficient. They Stack together MUCH better then they did everquest. Common enough to see 2 or 3 warriors in the same group without anyone bitching.

I can do things now i always, always wished for.

#1 Gate. thanks blizz! /hug ( yes, yes, for 7aa you can do that in Everquest, about 5 years after the fact of my start of playing it )

Snare ( first level of hamstring is kinda shitty, but .. upper levels get more useful )

some manner of DPS
Valiant Madren Steelhand
Cestus Dei - Luclin server
" You start playing with your head... thats 3 feet above your ass " - Jimmy Dougan
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Xouqoa wrote:
Drinsic Darkwood wrote:I play a 60 warrior on Suramar.

My current setup:

Fury:
Cruelty 5
Unbridled Wrath 3

Arms:
Deflection 5

Protection:
Shield Specialization 5
Anticipation 5
Toughness 5
Improved Revenge 3
Defiance 5
Improved Taunt 2
Improved Shield Block 3
Improved Shield Wall 2
Improved Shield Bash 2
Shield Discipline 1
In my opinon, Improved Shield Block points 2 and 3 are a complete waste. I'm not a huge fan of the taunt improvement for two points, either. Improved shield wall is .. eh, it's okay I guess. My favorite build is very similar to yours, except I also have 5 points in Tactical Mastery (Arms) and 1 point in Anger Management (Arms).

That helps a lot with rage generation, and unlike Unbridled Wrath you don't need to hit something to get the extra rage. With anger management you get free rage every couple of seconds while in combat. Try it out... get someone to duel you and go into combat mode with out taking/doing any damage and it'll tick up.
I agree that Shield block 2 and 3 are comparitively a waste in regards to level 1, but I'm going to have to disagree with tactical mastery/anger management. For 6 points I don't think it's worth the benefit of having slower rage deterioration. In instances/whatever, I rarely switch stances much at all, and I have little problems with holding aggro effectively. If there was anything I'd change I'd probably remove shield block 2 and 3 and max out unbridled wrath instead. Dregor did say it helps if say, you get stunned while using shield block and you can use the extra blocks after the stun wears off, or if you're soloing and parry/dodge several times in a row/whatever, but in instances or on major nameds, that's rarely the case. Until I get a 900g horse I think I'm going to save the gold required to respec a 3rd time~
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Man, I just like to disagree! My warrior gimp is the Arms route and has tactical mastery/anger management and jesus I can't believe how nice they are. In Beta my warrior was a mix of Fury and Defensive and I would go Arms over it any day. Stance swapping has some potential greatness if I ever really get into the warrior.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

You didn't read what I said, did you? :) Anger Management gives you FREE RAGE while you are in combat. It's not in the description, but it does it. Also, yes, the 30% rage decay increase, but that's beans compared to the FREE RAGE! :)

Also, switching stances definitely has it's place. For instance, if you get the weapon switch UI add on (lets you change between 1h/shield and 2h with the press of a button) you can switch to Battle Stance and Overpower with your 2H (more damage) very quickly and easily. In addition, you can use hamstring and execute with reletive ease.

I guess it just depends on your play style, but it opens up a whole new realm of abilities when you have 25 rage to work with any time you switch instead of having to start from 0. (Especially in PvP ... having enough rage to switch to Berserker stance and use Intercept is priceless, IMO.)
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

I used to have tactical mastery and anger management but decided to get rid of them in favor of piercing howl. While i do think both of the former talents are very good, piercing howl is an AE snare with a good amount of agro and no cool down. I no longer have to switch stances to hamstring, and I can easily build more agro on AE pulls smashing my piercing howl key. My talent build and equipment can be seen here.

BTW, I <3 my axe. :D
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
flankmen
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by flankmen »

I went with a full arms spec through lvl 55, as I was soloing 95% of the time. I loved the dmg output and soloed very effectively, mostly with polearm and 2h weaps.
Once I found myself more consistently the main tank in instances (Mara, ST, BRD, etc), I switched to a half arms, half protection spec, and did a lot of stance-switching.
Now that I find most of my fighting time spent in high-lvl instances and raids, I've switched to almost full protection, with the exception of enough pts in fury to get piercing howl. I'm still getting used to it, but I seem to hold aggro a little better, and I'm guessing it's a lot easier on my assigned healers.

Looking back, I probably would have held off on the protection talents until I hit 60. 55 to 60 was a tough grind, as I was still gaining most of my exp solo with half of the offensive firepower.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Xyun wrote:I used to have tactical mastery and anger management but decided to get rid of them in favor of piercing howl. While i do think both of the former talents are very good, piercing howl is an AE snare with a good amount of agro and no cool down. I no longer have to switch stances to hamstring, and I can easily build more agro on AE pulls smashing my piercing howl key. My talent build and equipment can be seen here.

BTW, I <3 my axe. :D
Slyve done took my idea for peircing howl. :)
Sabek
Just Sabek
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Xyun wrote:I can easily build more agro on AE pulls
Extending Arun's life expectancy somewhat :shock:
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Yah i stole from sabek!
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Vintyr, 51 NE Warrior, Suramar.

My skills are probably not the most efficient, but it seems to work for me just fine so far, alows me to instance tank and solo just fine. Sorta split between arms and protection, with a little fury. :) I've noticed with cruelty + Deep Wounds I usually have a constant 32hp dot(thrash blade) on the monster thru the fight rom that skill, which is good enough dps for me while soloing, while maintaining good tanking ability. I was using 2hand for a while and that is optimum for deep wounds, but I noticed that I would't have deep wounds going as often as if I use 1hand and with 1hand I have the extra armor.

Arms: 17
Deflection
Tactical Mastery
Anger Management
Improved Rend
Deep Wounds

Fury: 5
Cruelty

Protection: 20
Shield Specialization
Anticipation
Toughness
Defiance

I'm sure I could find a more effecient skill set...but I can't make up my mind on what my new skillset should be, and skills keep changing. Hopefully after the next warrior patch I'll have a better idea on what to do. :)
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

found this

lol
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

You should use that for your sig, dude. Fucking hilarious.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

ROFL Xyun

Level 60 warrior, Lightbringer (Alliance and looking for that bitch Kguku again for some revenge :p)

Old habbits die hard and thus I went with a protection build very similar to Drinsic's, with the intent of being a "raid/group tank" as opposed to a DPS person. I play a lot with rogues and find I almost never leave defensive stance, as I find the defensive stance aggro bonuses help me keep the mob's attention, and so I haven't bought into the whole switching stances/tactical mastery thing. Shield block, I love it esp doing single groups in places like BRD with some of the multi-elemental pulls and crap. Healer can worry about the rogues and pets more with the extra mitigation it buys.

As for soloing, I can still solo, it just takes a while for shit to die. Conversely mobs don't hurt me either... its sorta like the old EQ days and watching 2 paladins duel (without Zoocow pumping em) :p
My only gripe is that I think the protection talents should create more of a gap between warriors and paladins in defensive capability. Other than that, I'm pleased with the class in comparison to playing an EQ warrior.
Have to say I agree with this too. Most of the difference that I see between a lot of "sword and board" tanks is that for some reason a lot of pallies buy in to the myth of spirit being a useful stat :p
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

A while back I actually respec'd to try out Piercing Howl, and I must say, for instancing it's really useful. Dropped Cruelty / Unbridled Wrath / Imp Shield Block 2/3 / one level of improved revenge for it. Good thing I don't give a shit about pvp, because protection talents are fucking terrible for it.
Kguku
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kguku »

Wulfran wrote:Level 60 warrior, Lightbringer (Alliance and looking for that bitch Kguku again for some revenge :p)

Old habbits die hard and thus I went with a protection build very similar to Drinsic's, with the intent of being a "raid/group tank" as opposed to a DPS person. I play a lot with rogues and find I almost never leave defensive stance, as I find the defensive stance aggro bonuses help me keep the mob's attention, and so I haven't bought into the whole switching stances/tactical mastery thing. Shield block, I love it esp doing single groups in places like BRD with some of the multi-elemental pulls and crap. Healer can worry about the rogues and pets more with the extra mitigation it buys.
Bring it boy! I got a new toy I can show you too which is my Brain Hacker! http://www.thottbot.com/index.cgi?i=14001 I must say it's been a lot of fun slaughtering the alliance in PvP with it (I don't use 2hers when instancing).

Like you Wulfran, I went prot spec'd. Probably more prot than most people tend to.

I'm the following:

5 Arms (all in deflection for the parry bonus)

46 Protection:
I did not take improved disarm, improved shield wall and only put 1 point in to Improved Shield Block. The rest I maxed out. I'm still debating about Iron Will, and want to experiment with it during raids to see if it's worth keeping, or tossing 5 points back in to Cruelty just to see myself crit more often.

Also I'm working on a mage for pvping. Just so I can kill Wulfran even easier :P Got it to lvl 37 now (Excessum).
"When you dance with the devil, the devil don't change, the devil changes you."