Class Choice

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Class Choice

Post by Funkmasterr »

I was looking for some input on people that had played a bard so far in eq 2. Since that was what I am used to I was gonna stick with it. But, in other games I have played, they made bard songs more like spells that you cast and have to be stationary to do so- which I do not like at all. So I was just wondering if they kept them the same in eq2 or if they are different- because I want to decide before its to the point of choosing.

Otherwise I was going to go the rogue route, maybe someone can present a good reason why I may change my mind :)

Thanks in advance for any input.
Chmee
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Chmee »

My bard is only 16, so this is somewhat limited, but this what I have seen so far. The group buff songs I have so far can be cast while moving, although it is not as big of an advantage since they last a lot longer. Even the shorter ones last 2-3 minutes (no twisting in eq2). The eq2 bard is part of the scout archetype, so it actually shares some qualities of the rogue. You get stealthed movement, flanking and stealthed attacks, tracking, and is intended to be more of a high dps class from what I have seen (although I don't have parses on that). You also get some ranged archery based special attacks. You don't have the kiting abliities of eq1 bards though (and kiting in general is discouraged in eq2). The CC ability looks to be less than eq1, although there is still a little of it there (mostly on the troubadour I think). My bard has been fun so far.

An ability list for troubadours is here

http://eq2.ogaming.com/db/list/skills_troubador.php

and for dirges is here

http://eq2.ogaming.com/db/list/skills_dirge.php
No nation was ever ruined by trade.

– Benjamin Franklin
Sumdaor
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: hatchie

Post by Sumdaor »

I played a bard in EQ1 to level 68 and a bard in EQ2 to level 16. I can't speak for the 20+ crowd but I will share with you my experience's. Its not the same experience at all as in EQlive: no selo's, twisting, or sucky melee, and don't use instruments.

We are more of a dps/utility role from what I can tell. We have some decent buffs, but not a major CC or puller role. We are NOT the best class to chose for soloing either, but we are decent.

Since you picked the scout subclass you should find this helpful for information on scout subclass and progressive subclass's: http://www.thescoutssanctuary.com

All in all if you loved all the things about your bard in EQlive, the uniqueness of your class, twisting, one of the best soloing class's, pulling, and CC. Your not getting that with a bard in EQ2. Its OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of fun, but total different playstyle and abilities involved.
Sumdaor-Level 60 Warrior-retired
Twinkletoez-Level 68 Bard-Retired
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Do you have to be freeport based evil to be a brigand ? I was going to be a wood elf brigand but I can't seem to find the info anywhere on if that is possible.
Llaffer
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Llaffer »

Sounds like that the last class name change is dependant on if you are Freeport faction or Qeynos faction.

I wanted to be Coercer vs. Illusionist -- but will have to move to Freeport if I choose to do that -- not sure if I will .. I have a few levels left to make the choice -- I'm almost 15.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

damn... I cant decide if I want to just be a dirge and stay wood elf, Betray , or start over as evil. Is the betray quest hard?

What class do you think is better solo? brigand or dirge ? that is the ultimate question I need to answer I guess.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Funkmasterr wrote:damn... I cant decide if I want to just be a dirge and stay wood elf, Betray , or start over as evil. Is the betray quest hard?

What class do you think is better solo? brigand or dirge ? that is the ultimate question I need to answer I guess.
I'm told dirges "can't solo", but that was from a female, so YMMV :P

Pretty much nothing solos very well past 25, you can still kill oranges but mobs outside dungeons and w/o double up arrows are shit xp compared to a group (and I'm talking 0.3% per kill v's 2.2% per kill in some cases)
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Chmee
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Chmee »

Funkmasterr wrote:damn... I cant decide if I want to just be a dirge and stay wood elf, Betray , or start over as evil. Is the betray quest hard?
Dirge is one of the classes that can go to either city. Some classes are unique to freeport or qeynos, some can be either. Specifically according to the manual, guardian, berserker, dirge, troubadour, warden, fury, wizard warlock (basically one pair from each archetype) can be from either city.

– Benjamin Franklin
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I knew that about dirges.. I think I worded what I was saying kind of funny.

I am either going to

1- stay wood elf in queynos and be a dirge.

2- stay wood elf, betray queynos and be a brigand

So I was trying to figure out which is better for solo, but since it sounds like you cant solo very long reguardless of class- now the deciding factor will be resting on how easy or hard the betrayel quest is.
Chmee
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Chmee »

Funkmasterr wrote: So I was trying to figure out which is better for solo, but since it sounds like you cant solo very long reguardless of class- now the deciding factor will be resting on how easy or hard the betrayel quest is.
One thing regarding soloing, a group will certainly be faster. However I believe they are looking at adding some more solo mobs and probably even more importantly, solo oriented quests to address some of the difficulty in soloing as things get higher. Some of it is supposed to go in with the big patch that will hopefully go in soon (it was supposed to go in a couple weeks ago but got delayed for more testing and the holidays). Not sure how successful it will be, but at least they are looking at it. I have more fun with a group, but its nice to be able to do something other than tradeskills when you can't find a group.

– Benjamin Franklin
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

at 27 as a berserker (not a good solo class) i can easily solo the yellow/orange no arrows orcs in Zek...yet soloing is boring and it gives a lot less exp then grouping...^^ in a full group kills plain solo

its amazing how a plain red is considerably easier then a ^^ green
-xzionis human mage on mannoroth
-zeltharath tauren shaman on wildhammer