baseball season coming up in a few

What do you think about the sports world?
Iedok65
No Stars!

baseball season coming up in a few

Post by Iedok65 »

.. Who do you predict going this year b4 it starts?
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Red Sox and Cubs!
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Speed Racer!
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

But.. teh curse.. teh curse!
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Yanks? /ducks and runs for cover...
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Sox vs Stros
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Aevian Dreaklear
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: Bisky Campst

Post by Aevian Dreaklear »

Cubs and Red Sox

Cubs win! Cubs win!

Also would like to request someone with experience running a league run a VV fantsay baseball league. That'd be kickass.
Shanter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Shanter »

watch out for the astros this year..
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

METS!!!! BWAHAHAHAHHAA /cry

well...maybe eh? :)
en kærlighed småkager
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I think, at the Vegas FF, I'm going to put $100 on the Tigers winning the Series. If they do, I'd have to be looking at an 8 figure return on my investment.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Fuck baseball until it has a salary cap.
xZiBiT
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by xZiBiT »

I like balls on my chin.
Planetside
poppa - Terran VV Markov
poppa - N00b Conglomerate Emerald
xzibit - NC Markov
xzibit - VS Emerald
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

xZiBiT wrote:Fuck baseball regardless, football season is only 6 months away.
Yah cause football hasn't become a huge fucking /yawn has it

Jefferson
xZiBiT
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by xZiBiT »

Basically, I was refering to college football and no it hasn't.

Besides March Madness on just around the corner. Yay!!!
Planetside
poppa - Terran VV Markov
xzibit - NC Markov
xzibit - VS Emerald
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:Yah cause football hasn't become a huge fucking /yawn has it
absofuckinglutely not. this past super bowl recieved more ratings than any other thing in history. over 140 million people watched it. just think, there are ~225 million in the US. football is far and away the biggest sport out, sorry champ, greed (and best of seven series) doesn't impress hardly anyone. most of the people that like baseball just like it hoping that one day it can be back where it once was.

of course that will never happen
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Baseball is just so far between action so much of the time. Pitch, ball. Pitch, strike. Pitch, foul. I'll admit, the ALCS and NLCS had some excitement in them last year, but for the most part baseball makes me want to fall asleep. At least people are always RUNNING AROUND in football. In baseball, some innings the most action you see are the batters walking up to the plate.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
xZiBiT
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by xZiBiT »

Sometimes, the most exciting part of the game is the Weenie Race during the 7th inning stretch.

Brautwurst is teh winner. Italians are slow.

Sometimes the players on the teams are so bored that they whack those weenies with bats or set each others shoes on fire.
Planetside
poppa - Terran VV Markov
xzibit - NC Markov
xzibit - VS Emerald
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Zamtuk wrote:
Pherr the Dorf wrote:Yah cause football hasn't become a huge fucking /yawn has it
absofuckinglutely not. this past super bowl recieved more ratings than any other thing in history. over 140 million people watched it. just think, there are ~225 million in the US. football is far and away the biggest sport out, sorry champ, greed (and best of seven series) doesn't impress hardly anyone. most of the people that like baseball just like it hoping that one day it can be back where it once was.

Rofl, the football season as a whole had worse ratings then ever before, because the game as a whole, sucks currently. Every team out there has major wholes to exploit and the hard cap has made the game boring as fuck, sorry I am a huge football fan, but the state of the game (basketball is worse mind you but B-ball is global so it'll survive) sucks.

Jefferson
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

lol no. every week monday night football were in the top 10 and frequent to the top 5 in ratings. superbowl got a record 90.8 rating and projected over 140 million people saw it. those are records. lets not even talk about the playoff ratings which blew past playoff ratings to hell and back. the reason it doesnt dominate on sundays is because of regional coverage, though game of the weeks have been known to break the top 10 in ratings. football's merchandise market is through the roof and this year only made it better with the bengals and panthers jerseys being hot items this year.

as for the salary cap making the game more boring, ha fucking ha. that is probably the most retarded thing i have ever heard. THE BENGALS WERE ONE GAME SHORT OF THE PLAYOFFS. that is what the salary cap did. when do you think the devil rays will make a run for it? sorry, the logic behind saying the lack of a salary cap makes for a better sport is flawed. you obviously are a yankee fan. that also explains why you hate football, the jets, giants and bills suck. yeah, i guess the salary cap can cripple NY fans, what, from it restricting owners from buying championships.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:
Zamtuk wrote:

Rofl, the football season as a whole had worse ratings then ever before, because the game as a whole, sucks currently. Every team out there has major wholes to exploit and the hard cap has made the game boring as fuck, sorry I am a huge football fan, but the state of the game (basketball is worse mind you but B-ball is global so it'll survive) sucks.
You're actually bitching because there's parity in the NFL? Go suck a dick.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

masteen wrote:
Pherr the Dorf wrote:
Zamtuk wrote:

YES I am, it is making the game BORING, bring back the late 70's steelers, the 80's and 90's boys and 9ers, the pack, bring back the fun

Jefferson
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Zamtuk wrote:that also explains why you hate football, the jets, giants and bills suck. yeah, i guess the salary cap can cripple NY fans, what, from it restricting owners from buying championships.
The Giants may surprise you. Oddly, Giant managment is very big on developing and have been more successful than most franchises and they haven't bought out anything. They've never had the 10 billion dollar quarterback or even anything more than an above average running back for that matter. Giants will be a very strong team in '04, make no mistake. If Coughlin can get them disciplined as the General he's supposed to be, Giants may be able to take the division. Shit, they're already better than the Eagles and Cowboys already if they just stay healthy. A top draft choice this year probably won't hurt too much either.

I understand your distress about parity in baseball. I too love to see underdogs do well. It's still great to go to the park and see some of the best players you can see on one team. Shit, I didn't even care if the Yankees won the World Series this past year, I just want them to beat Boston forever because it's fun kicking sand at them (and you can find my messages on the topic if you don't believe me as I made it known). But, George isn't breaking any rules. He followed through and turned one of the best players into a yankee and did so for far less money than Ramirez or even Jeter for crying out loud. Hell, Soriano is nothing to sneeze at. Texas gets an all-star and frees up a shitload of cash. Their attendance probably sucked anyway because they were a losing team so saving via reduced overhead will work wonders.

And don't forget, regardless of the hitting lineup, you still only get one W if you win 12-3 instead of 5-3. IN the post season, it'll all be about pitching and Schilling kicks ass at grinding the Yankees. Nothing is written in stone even w/ the payroll. The only thing it guarantees is that they'll sell a shitload of tickets.
Mplor
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Mplor »

Gotta believe in mah 'Stros. Houston wins it's first playoff series this year, and it will be Astros vs Cubs in the NLCS. Guess we'll know for sure in, um, seven months.

BTW, much <3 for MLB.tv. This expat Houstonian got to watch nearly every Astros game last year. :)

Thanks for reminding me about getting my Triple-A season tix.
The Boney King of Nowhere.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:
masteen wrote:
Pherr the Dorf wrote:
Zamtuk wrote:

YES I am, it is making the game BORING, bring back the late 70's steelers, the 80's and 90's boys and 9ers, the pack, bring back the fun

You can blame Curt Flood. You will never have those team dynasties because of free agency. The only reason there is a salary cap is because of.....free agency. Those teams were built through the draft and they won for a decade because their players could not up and leave after 3 years. The salaries in those days was not the outrageous garbage it is today.

Send your letters to Curt Flood if you have problems with salary caps.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I like a salary cap. It takes a lot from GM to players to win. Managing a cap while trying to decide what 'star' players are your core team makes it interesting to watch. As long as there is free agency the way it is today I will always be for a cap. As is always stated "if you dont like players making that much, then dont watch" and for the most part I don't watch Baseball or basketball. I try to stay away from hockey but thats an addiction that I just cant seem to quit :?
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:YES I am, it is making the game BORING, bring back the late 70's steelers, the 80's and 90's boys and 9ers, the pack, bring back the fun
oh, kind of like the patriots? good point.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Zamtuk wrote:
Pherr the Dorf wrote:YES I am, it is making the game BORING, bring back the late 70's steelers, the 80's and 90's boys and 9ers, the pack, bring back the fun
ROFL! While I love watching the old Steelers on NFL Classic films, the quality of the game was WAY lower. What made up for it was the brutality with which the defenders were allowed to hit. There is a good reason that Jack Lambert was missing teeth.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

masteen wrote:
Zamtuk wrote:
ROFL! While I love watching the old Steelers on NFL Classic films, the quality of the game was WAY lower. What made up for it was the brutality with which the defenders were allowed to hit. There is a good reason that Jack Lambert was missing teeth.
First, if you think the pats are a dynasty, you are on crack, they didn't make the playoffs the year between their 2 bowl wins, that is not a freakin dynasty.
And yes, the gameplay was brutal, wasn't it fucking great!

Jefferson
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

It had its appeal.

The NFL is kinda in a down period talent-wise at receiver, IMO because a lot of kids saw how much attention Peon Deon got, and decided to be a corner instead of a receiver.

There have been a lot of quality defensive players at all positions come out recently, and most defensive positions don't require a lot of time before they can make an impact.

How does this year's draft look?
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

1 GREAT receiver (should be a number 1 but will end up goin 2 to the raiders)
2 good, maybe very good QB's (Manning will get picked first but should prolly go 2nd)
Buncha damn good defensive guys
1 DAMN good TE (he is gonna be amazing)
Few good O line guys
Couple maybes at RB

And yah you hit it on the head, Defense is where OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of talent is going, you don't get your head knocked off. Sadly it is taking it's toll on the game and making it borrrrrrrrrrring

Jefferson