- a Spurrier + a childhood dream = Joe Gibbs comming back?

What do you think about the sports world?
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

- a Spurrier + a childhood dream = Joe Gibbs comming back?

Post by Raistin »

WASHINGTON -- Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs could make a surprise return to the Washington Redskins.

The Washington Post, citing sources with connections to Gibbs, reported late Tuesday on its Web site that Gibbs was in serious discussions about returning to the team that he led to three Super Bowl titles.

Gibbs, who is 63, coached the Redskins from 1981 to 1992 before resigning to pursue a career with his own NASCAR team. He has been adamant over the years about not wanting to coach again, although he has retained NFL connections. He is a minority owner of the Atlanta Falcons.

The Redskins are seeking a replacement for Steve Spurrier, who resigned last week. They have interviewed former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel, former Minnesota coach Dennis Green and Seattle defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes, who was in town Tuesday.

A source close to Fassel told the Post that he did not believe Fassel would be hired because the club was planning a major surprise. That source added that he believed Gibbs' return would be the surprise.

If this happens, I will watch NFL football once again. I had dropped off watching or playing any FF leagues over the years. I have always been a skins fan,but the past 9 years have sucked dick. I can only hope this then Spurrier goes to Penn State. It will make the best year ever for me!
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

They better give him a blank check. I can't think of anyone that would want to work w/ Snyder and it sure sounds like Gibbs is a very happy camper in his new life.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I don't know if I'd be so stoked about the possibility of a coach 11 years removed from the game coming back to lead my team.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

Look at the Tuna and Vermil. Not only are they able to adapt. But Gibbs was a better coach than them.
xZiBiT
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by xZiBiT »

Looks like Gibb's is senial, he has to be to want to work for 5 years under Snyder

But low and behold he is the new skin's coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1702079
Planetside
poppa - Terran VV Markov
poppa - N00b Conglomerate Emerald
xzibit - NC Markov
xzibit - VS Emerald
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

OH, it is official. I can't tell you how many homers in this area are jumping up and down in excitement. Apparantly, they do this everytime a new coach comes to town (read: every two years or so).

The thought is that since Dan Schneider is in such awe of Gibbs, that he will let Joe actually coach the team. This obviously would mean good things for the redskins. I do like the team of players they have, they really just need a good kick in the ass...which Gibbs could do.

I'm excited because the only time I can remember Gibbs "failing" at something was the broadcast booth...he stunk the place up with Montana if I remember correctly?

Here is the article
The return of Joe Gibbs Article
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Yeah, I'll eat my crow. Somehow, Snyder got him. Kudos for Redskins fans. It's a proud org and it was a shame seeing them out of contention for so long.

Hmm, Giants got Coughlin, Eagles got Reid, Cowboys have Tuna, and Redskins have the Legend back. Jesus, this is the year Eagles better get to the big game, NFC East is going to be a whole lot more interesting for the next few years.
Look at the Tuna and Vermil. Not only are they able to adapt. But Gibbs was a better coach than them.
With the league parity of today, superlative coaches really make a huge difference. Gibbs is an awesome coach. Much respect for the man even if I was only 13 while watching the '83 SuperBowl
Last edited by Chidoro on January 7, 2004, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stalker Vacio
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Stalker Vacio »

With some creative usage of the salary cap I can see the skins of 04 putting on a performance equal to the Cowboys of this year.
"Patience is a foolish virtue. It never gets you what you want when you want it. " -King Zad
Voidstalker
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I think I would be disappointed w/ anything less than a 10-6 season and a wildcard spot if I was a Redskins fan. They aren't a bad team. Certainly no worse than the Cowboys of last year. And the Giants are the most talented (albeit injured terribly) 4-12 team you'll ever see. As a Giants fan, I'm expecting no less than a 10-6 season as well.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Too bad both the Giants and the Redskins are going to start out with a guaranteed two losses each, courtesy of the Eagles!
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

You're a funny guy. :lol:
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Dan Snyder can get god to coach the redskins but as long as he is the owner, they will be a losing team in that division. Any man who forces his coach to start jeff george is a fucking lunatic.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Momopi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Momopi »

Unless the Skins pick up a premiere running back (Corry Dillon maybe?), you can expect more of the same next year. No way they have any kind of a passing attack without a running threat.
Momopi Down warder of PD
Naala Momokitty Raid Assassin of PD Meow Meow
Naala the Breeder in Ted Club
Crav
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Crav »

Hehe you know what I was thinking, it would have be so funny if Jimmie Johnson took the Giants job. Not that there was a chance in hell it would happen, but still it would have been nice to see the old NFC East, when they ran off so many Super Bowls.
Crav Veladorn
Darkblade of Tunare

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
- Albert Einstein
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

You can bet that Gibbs is going to start with the offensive line. He's old school like that.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt