Steve Spurrier resigns

What do you think about the sports world?
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Steve Spurrier resigns

Post by Raistin »

WASHINGTON -- Steve Spurrier resigned as coach of the Washington Redskins on Tuesday, ending a failed attempt to bring his Fun 'n' Gun offense to the NFL.

Confirmation of the resignation came after two hours of confusion during which Spurrier was quoted as saying he had not resigned -- even though the team announced that he had. The bizarre turn of events happened because Spurrier had not been aware that the final details had been worked out between his new agent, Jimmy Sexton, and the team.

"We had a little miscommunication there," Spurrier told The Associated Press by telephone from Florida.

Spurrier said he would release a full statement later in the afternoon.

Shortly after the team's initial announcement, in a cellphone conversation, Spurrier told The Washington Post that he did not quit.

"I have not resigned. I've got a representative looking into some issues but I have not resigned," Spurrier was quoted as saying. "If they say that I have, that is not true. I'm not sure it is heading in that direction right now. We are seeing where it goes but I have not resigned."

Spurrier called Snyder on Tuesday morning and offered his resignation, according to team spokesman Karl Swanson.

"It was totally unexpected," Swanson said, and Snyder accepted it with "much regret."

Spurrier's replacement will be the fifth head coach since Redskins owner Dan Snyder bought the team in 1999.

Altough things are messy right now. Theres been a lot of things going around such as Steve becomming a Tv announcer for next year, and after that year. He will replace JoPa at Penn State.

LaVar and Steve went up to State college about 3 weeks ago and spent the weekend with JoPa. Thus making it appear he may resign from the NFL this year or next. And then taking over at Penn State when JoPa's contract is out, and he leaves college football. The only draw back of PSU for Steve, is that its cold as hell up there during the winter.

But Im sure he wouldnt mind playing for a great college that has a great outlook. I would love for Steve to come in after next year at PSU
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Was definitely a surprise down here in DC that Steve left. After all the denying, he goes anyways...should have known. I wouldn't want to work for Danny Snyder either...he is an owner-nazi. Must have his hands in every part of the daily operations of a football team. Owners who know not what they are doing, should not be trying to do these things...

As for the Penn State thing...well, I would be 100% happy for that to happen. It would be real interesting to see what type of recruits PSU could get when an offense like Spurrier's comes to town...Maybe Joe can bring him on as next years Offensive Coordinator/Quarterback Coach? Ha! Damn you Raistin, now you got me dreaming!

If he does go back to coaching, I could definitely see him wanting to take over a team that is struggling, just so he looks more like a savior to the fans.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

There are a lot of potential Head Coaches out there now. I was watching ESPN and they were just listing off all of the Offensive and Defensive CO's that would be great as a Head Coach. Personally I am betting that Lovey Smith gets a job someplace.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

dennis green is still the best one out there.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I heard it was a toss up between him and Fassel for the Cardinals job. Fassel was the Ofensive Coordinator for the Cards back in 98 I think and Green is butt buddies with the GM or Owner.

On a side note, I wonder if Tice will get canned.