Wubi - Ubuntu

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Post Reply
User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27209
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Winnow »

Still not sure of the need for linux but this looks like the best way yet to get Linux on your system without fuss:

http://wubi-installer.org/

It installs Ubuntu all from within Windows into a folder (file) within a windows partition. The only mod it makes to windows is adding the option to boot to Ubuntu in the boot menu.

From what I can tell, it sort of works like truecrypt where everything is contained in a single file but linux sees that file as a partition.

I'm going to try it because I'm a glutton for linux punishment.

Image

The little installer app is a tiny file and brings up the window above.

I like that you can choose a partition other than the windows OS partition and can choose the installation size. Since I keep my OS partition relatively small, I can make this Wubi thing larger on another partition. You can also choose Kubuntu (KDE environment) or Xubuntu for older computers.

As Xatrei knows, linux is all about the flash so I'm going for Kubuntu and hopefully get Compiz running with the wiggly windows, anime girls on the rotating 3D square, while raindrops make a splash effects on the desktop.

-------------

Note: install on hold as I get an error message when I try to install. I'll assume the FTP servers are overloaded and try later. It was smooth all the way up until that part though!

User avatar
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 1443
Joined: July 23, 2002, 12:32 am
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612
Location: Allentown, PA
Contact:

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Aardor »

Image
but this looks like the best way yet to get Linux on your system without fuss
Because Installing windows, then linux to a partition on the machine was such a "fuss." The app seems pretty idiotic if it only has once source for the install files (you said it was probably overloaded). I'll stick with net installs. Keep trying to be a power user though :D .

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27209
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Winnow »

Aardor wrote: Keep trying to be a power user though :D .

Um, this topic was for the exact opposite of a power user. If the thing worked, it would be brain-dead easy.

Linux sucks. I've installed at least five or six different distributions and have a combination of probably 20 CD & DVD Linux distributions I grabbed back when I was trying to see what the "fuss" was about. They all blow.

Wubu makes sense for someone that wants Linux as a secondary OS. The non partitioning (having another boot loader stuck on your HD as well), one file, loaded as a virtual partition, makes it as easy as using your control panel in windows to delete Linux off your system.

Windows (and OSX) are so far ahead of Linux in ease of use/installing that anything like this is a huge help (or should be if it worked). Last night, Wubu was posted on Digg so that may have overloaded the servers. I'll try it again tonight.

Linux freaks still don't get that every single distribution sucks ass compared to Windows/OSX, wondering why it's not more popular. The install is worse, the apps are worse, the available applications is worse, and games don't even play a factor.

Sticking a live version of Linux may be useful for recovery etc. (or a Live CD), but that's about it.

User avatar
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 1443
Joined: July 23, 2002, 12:32 am
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612
Location: Allentown, PA
Contact:

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Aardor »

You should stop posting about Linux, you just make a fool of yourself.

User avatar
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 11500
Joined: July 3, 2002, 3:06 pm
XBL Gamertag: miir1
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by miir »

Aardor wrote:You should stop posting about Linux, you just make a fool of yourself.
I think Winnow should keep posting about Linux...
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27209
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Winnow »

Reverse psychology won't work on me!

Even reversed reverse psychology!

The only thing that would make Philadelphia worse is if it was located in Canada!

User avatar
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 2604
Joined: May 14, 2003, 11:09 am
Location: Columbus OH
Contact:

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Ashur »

I really don't understand why you keep making these posts.

LOOK A COOL NEW LINUX FEATURE

LINUX SUCKS, WINDOWS RULES

Linux is doing just fine for many people. You are not one of those people because what you want out of an OS isn't in there.

I have a Linux (Ubuntu) box and a Windows box. Both are doing just fine.
- Ash

User avatar
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 1443
Joined: July 23, 2002, 12:32 am
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612
Location: Allentown, PA
Contact:

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Aardor »

Winnow wrote: The only thing that would make Philadelphia worse is if it was located in Canada!
FYI, I gave up on that thread because you are too stupid to read. You said Philadelphia did not have many things worth taking pictures of, and I pointed out how you're a moron for thinking that. You come back with how every other city in the world is better than Philly because they have straight roads and non-parallel parking, being too amazingly stupid to realize that many of those roads were built before cars existed, or a city life style based on car travel existed.

User avatar
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 4147
Joined: July 10, 2002, 2:26 am
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis
Location: A Secure Location

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Fash »

I don't think Winnow is far off when it comes to Linux.

The average computer user barely knows how to use Windows.

Linux is something that I can enjoy, play with, and experiment with as a home user. Linux is something I can run my business on, in a server environment....

But, Linux is not something that even I could completely replace Windows with and use exclusively as my desktop operating system.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.

User avatar
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 11500
Joined: July 3, 2002, 3:06 pm
XBL Gamertag: miir1
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by miir »

Fash wrote:The average computer user barely knows how to use Windows.
That would have been true like 5-6 years ago.
Today, not so true.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z

User avatar
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 1443
Joined: July 23, 2002, 12:32 am
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612
Location: Allentown, PA
Contact:

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Aardor »

Ashur wrote:I really don't understand why you keep making these posts.

LOOK A COOL NEW LINUX FEATURE

LINUX SUCKS, WINDOWS RULES

Linux is doing just fine for many people. You are not one of those people because what you want out of an OS isn't in there.

I have a Linux (Ubuntu) box and a Windows box. Both are doing just fine.
^^This.

Not to mention, Linux is currently being marketed to two distinct classes of users. The first one is power users, who have been using Linux to do things for years (or future users), because Windows absolutely blows at it, or it doesn't work at all. The other class would be people who can't afford to pay for Windows, in which case Linux is a great alternative.

So this tool seems stupidly useless to me, unless you're someone who wants to run linux just for the hell of it, you're too stupid to install linux on a partition when windows has already been installed, and you have enough money to afford windows. Or maybe you want to run it to see Beryl since the only similar program Windows can offer is pathetic.

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27209
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Winnow »

Just tried Wubi again remotely from work. Kubuntu didn't connect but Ubuntu did so it appears it's a server load issue.

I'll try it tonight. I'm curious how smooth it goes (besides the FTP overload)

While I wait, I hate seeing posts like this:

Whether you're a fan of ATi or nVidia, they both have a huge user base, so seeing lack of support for linux sucks:


This is specific to nVidia 8xxx/9xxx cards.
The problem:

* Horrible 2D performance in Linux with the nVidia drivers. 169, 173 and 177 drivers are all faulty.
* Firefox scrolling/switching tabs performance is horrible.
* Resizing windows/moving windows/scrolling in windows is slow/laggy.
* KDE4 is almost unusably slow.
* Xrender performance is horrible.
* Compiz Fusion very choppy, laggy minimize/maximize.
* KDE4/QT4 apps especially are very laggy and unresponsive. Example: button press, dragging/resizing windows, combo boxes, menus are all slow.


So far, no solutions for this problem exist. This is a major problem since 2D performance is far more important to most people than 3D performance. The 3D performance on Linux so far has been great, but I can't say that for the 2D performance.

User avatar
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 1443
Joined: July 23, 2002, 12:32 am
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612
Location: Allentown, PA
Contact:

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Aardor »

Fash wrote:I don't think Winnow is far off when it comes to Linux.

The average computer user barely knows how to use Windows.

Linux is something that I can enjoy, play with, and experiment with as a home user. Linux is something I can run my business on, in a server environment....

But, Linux is not something that even I could completely replace Windows with and use exclusively as my desktop operating system.
You're absolutely right, and thus Linux is not advertised that way. For some reason, Winnow has gotten it into his head that Linux is a replacement for Windows, and evaluates it from this standpoint, with his limited computer knowledge. I know a few people that use Linux as an OS and it works perfectly fine for them. They only do "normal" computer stuff: i.e. browse the internet, use various wordprocessing type applications, send email. Winnow wants every thing you can do on Windows to work on Linux, despite the fact that many of the programs he uses in Windows cost money and are separate from the actual operating system, whereas Linux, for the most part, only has open source software that is too complicated for him to install. I guess one of the reasons he doesn't see this is because he has been stealing all his software for 20+ years.

User avatar
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 1443
Joined: July 23, 2002, 12:32 am
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612
Location: Allentown, PA
Contact:

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Aardor »

Whether you're a fan of ATi or nVidia, they both have a huge user base, so seeing lack of support for linux sucks:


This is specific to nVidia 8xxx/9xxx cards.
Yeah, Nvidia sucking at drivers? big surprise. It is shitty that they don't have more support for Linux, but is it really that big of a surprise when they barely supported Vista for months. Moreover, each time a new game comes out which pushes the envelope on graphics, it takes a few weeks to get a new driver which works with the game for all users (since it bugs for people who have the same video card as people it works perfectly fine for).

A good thing to note is, the ati 48xx cards shipped with Linux drivers which work great (or people said they worked great, including with beryl/compiz).

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27209
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Winnow »

Aardor wrote: Winnow wants every thing you can do on Windows to work on Linux, despite the fact that many of the programs he uses in Windows cost money and are separate from the actual operating system, whereas Linux, for the most part, only has open source software that is too complicated for him to install. I guess one of the reasons he doesn't see this is because he has been stealing all his software for 20+ years.

That's not true. Ever hear of portable apps? All free all do as good a job as Linux on windows:

http://portableapps.com/

I can do all the cheap things on windows that you can do on linux, but a whole hell of a lot easier so it comes down to the cost of the OS itself which is pretty cheap if you go for the basic install that would support these free apps.

I look at Linux, not from a power user's point of view but as a person wondering why you'd ever choose it over windows or OSX if you make minimum wage or higher. I'm not talking about starving Africans with their $99 computers.

Besides being used as servers, the only benefit I see for Linux is as an emergency Live CD/USB bootable OS. Everything about Linux is a bitch compared to Windows/OSX. Installing new apps, etc...even with the more friendly Ubuntu type distributions still is not nearly as simple.

Amarok sucks compared to Media Monkey which is free for windows. I just don't see the benefit of Linux and the support for hardware is horrific compared to windows/OSX so you're constantly battling that factor as well if you decide to upgrade anything or during initial installation.

Linux works for novice users that don't know any better and don't understand that they are using crappy apps compared to Windows /OSX, as long as it comes preinstalled or someone sets it up for them.

As Fash mentioned, I like to play around with other OS's. I don't just preach Vista, I spent a shitload of hours working on Hackentosh OSX86 to see what it was like. Nice, but I like Windows better due to many more applications and of course games. I did try my best to find applications on the Mac that I liked including image viewers, file managers, etc and I found some that would work but none better than what I use on Windows. I do see how OXS would work well for some users though but not Linux.

User avatar
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 10003
Joined: August 22, 2002, 1:34 am
Gender: Male
Location: Calabasas, CA

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by noel »

It's not that Linux sucks or that Winnow sucks. It's more Linux is not, and will never be what he wants it to be. OS X is the closest thing to it, but he won't pony up the cash for a real Mac so that's not an option either.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27209
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Winnow »

noel wrote:It's not that Linux sucks or that Winnow sucks. It's more Linux is not, and will never be what he wants it to be. OS X is the closest thing to it, but he won't pony up the cash for a real Mac so that's not an option either.
That's not it Noel. I'd buy a Mac if I wanted to. I don't think, for the apps I was looking at, that a real Mac would have made a difference in their performance besides speed which I didn't knock them for, so I did get a good idea in that respect.

User avatar
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 10003
Joined: August 22, 2002, 1:34 am
Gender: Male
Location: Calabasas, CA

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by noel »

If they had gaming support, there'd be no need for Windows in my world.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

User avatar
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 1443
Joined: July 23, 2002, 12:32 am
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612
Location: Allentown, PA
Contact:

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Aardor »

Winnow wrote:
Aardor wrote: Winnow wants every thing you can do on Windows to work on Linux, despite the fact that many of the programs he uses in Windows cost money and are separate from the actual operating system, whereas Linux, for the most part, only has open source software that is too complicated for him to install. I guess one of the reasons he doesn't see this is because he has been stealing all his software for 20+ years.

That's not true. Ever hear of portable apps? All free all do as good a job as Linux on windows:

http://portableapps.com/
I had not, but i don't see your point. Yes windows has free software that works, and the majority of apps that program includes have linux versions that work great.
I can do all the cheap things on windows that you can do on linux, but a whole hell of a lot easier so it comes down to the cost of the OS itself which is pretty cheap if you go for the basic install that would support these free apps.

I look at Linux, not from a power user's point of view but as a person wondering why you'd ever choose it over windows or OSX if you make minimum wage or higher. I'm not talking about starving Africans with their $99 computers.
Quite a few things here:

Yes, Windows has become more cheap in recent years. However, your assumption that anyone who makes minimum wage can afford it is wrong. This doesn't surprise me however, since you come from a privileged background, and you willfully choose to ignore what a person who makes that much money lives like. $99 for an operating system for your computer vs. paying your bills on time this month just seems like a type of decision that doesn't even cross your mind as being real. Also, use Dell as an example. Their computers that use Ubuntu instead of Vista are significantly cheaper, making it easier for a low income family to be able to afford a computer.

You're right, If Linux advertised itself in this manner, it would get trounced by Windows and OSX in reviews/sales. However, it is not advertised that way, it is being advertised as a free alternative, which is becoming easier to use and beginning to catch up in user functionality. So the fact that you look at the situation from that point seems pretty pointless.
Besides being used as servers, the only benefit I see for Linux is as an emergency Live CD/USB bootable OS. Everything about Linux is a bitch compared to Windows/OSX. Installing new apps, etc...even with the more friendly Ubuntu type distributions still is not nearly as simple.

Amarok sucks compared to Media Monkey which is free for windows. I just don't see the benefit of Linux and the support for hardware is horrific compared to windows/OSX so you're constantly battling that factor as well if you decide to upgrade anything or during initial installation.
There is one of your problems, you have no idea what Linux can be used for besides a webserver, a windows clone, or a bootable OS.

Everything about Linux is a bitch? As explained multiple times, it's not a bitch just because it doesn't mirror the way windows does it. Try installing an IIS server on a Windows vs apache in Ubuntu. I have done both, and all I have to do for apache is type "apt-get install apache," but it is more complicated for IIS. What other apps? I can install the apps I use on a computer in minutes on linux with apt-get, but it takes much longer with windows (neither of which is very difficult).

Again, the reason you don't see the benefit of Linux is because you want it to be a better than windows Windows clone. Yes hardware support sucks (it really isn't that bad, though. I have had 0 problems with my hardware on laptops and desktops for a number of installs), but that is the fault of the manufacturer, and not Linux itself. When you say upgrade, i'm not sure if you meant software or hardware, but software is super amazingly easy (yes, easier than windows). Hardware, I have changed with Linux install and it has picked up the new hardware without any problems, in a similar manner when Windows does it.
Linux works for novice users that don't know any better and don't understand that they are using crappy apps compared to Windows /OSX, as long as it comes preinstalled or someone sets it up for them.
Yeah...because OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc work so much better in Windows than they do in Linux. What apps are you talking about?
As Fash mentioned, I like to play around with other OS's. I don't just preach Vista, I spent a shitload of hours working on Hackentosh OSX86 to see what it was like. Nice, but I like Windows better due to many more applications and of course games. I did try my best to find applications on the Mac that I liked including image viewers, file managers, etc and I found some that would work but none better than what I use on Windows. I do see how OXS would work well for some users though but not Linux.
Again, all of this is because Linux is not the type of operating system you are trying to evaluate it as.

noel wrote:It's not that Linux sucks or that Winnow sucks. It's more Linux is not, and will never be what he wants it to be. OS X is the closest thing to it, but he won't pony up the cash for a real Mac so that's not an option either.
Yes, you're right, Linux does not suck, nor does Winnow. I still hold that Winnow is not computer savvy enough to make Linux do what he wants, and so when he has trouble installing a beta open source application, it's Linux's fault and not his own lack of knowledge.

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27209
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Winnow »

noel wrote:If they had gaming support, there'd be no need for Windows in my world.
I've brought this up before but I have major issues with the UI itself.

OSX is antiquated with it's menu system and sizing.

People have LARGE, hi res monitors as well as multiple monitors these days. Having the drop down menus not be associated with the window the application is running on and instead be in the upper left corner of one of the monitors is asinine. It's not a different way of doing things, it's a dumber way of doing things. Same holds true for not being able to maximize windows and only being able to resize windows using the lower right corner. This isn't a different way of doing things, it's a slower, less efficient way of doing things that drives me nuts.

Apple took forever to ditch the one button mouse and they take forever to adjust to things on the Windows and Linux UIs that make life easier for all users, not just power users.

When I take a look at what each OS can and can't do, I see this, in basic form beyond that other than a curiosity:
---

Linux: Free, difficult, least apps

OSX: Simple

Windows (Vista): Simple, most apps, many more niche apps, better UI, more peripherals, more options, cheaper (than Mac), Games, Power users

----
Grandma may like the Mac, some that like the Mac interface will like it, and I understand that. Poor person, tech geek, anti establishment, server person might like Linux and I understand that. But I don't see Linux ever being a factor in its present form.

I'm disappointed that Linux isn't more than it is at this point in its life.

User avatar
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 1443
Joined: July 23, 2002, 12:32 am
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612
Location: Allentown, PA
Contact:

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Aardor »

Winnow wrote: When I take a look at what each OS can and can't do, I see this, in basic form beyond that other than a curiosity:
---

Linux: Free, difficult, least apps

OSX: Simple

Windows (Vista): Simple, most apps, many more niche apps, better UI, more peripherals, more options, cheaper (than Mac), Games, Power users

----
You mean when you look at the three OSes from what you wish to do on a PC. For that, these reasons make sense (mostly), however you do not portray your opinions as "Linux does not fit my needs" but instead as "Linux sucks and is useless."

This is how I would put it:

Linux:
[*]Free
[*]more difficult than the other OSX and Windows if you wish to do more than general tasks in the OS, and you wish to use Linux exactly like OSX/Windows
[*]Least apps for very specific tasks. Fully functional apps for general computer usage

OSX:
[*]Simple
[*]Generally consider the most intuitive of the OS's for non-experienced users to use.
[*]Offers everything windows does but games

Vista:
[*]Simple
[*]Games

Your comments about UI...The UI in Linux and even OSX is much more customizable than Vista, and this is also your personal view (meaning someone could have said OSX had the best UI for similar reasons to you saying it vista is the best)

WTF do you even mean about Power Users?
Grandma may like the Mac, some that like the Mac interface will like it, and I understand that. Poor person, tech geek, anti establishment, server person might like Linux and I understand that. But I don't see Linux ever being a factor in its present form.

I'm disappointed that Linux isn't more than it is at this point in its life.
You don't see it being a factor, but it certainly is. No, it's not hurting Mac or Windows sales, but more and more people use it every day.

You're disappointed that you aren't good enough with computers to use Linux the way you want to, and so you fall back on the "it's not easy enough" cop out. Except for the past 5 years, Linux was never marketed/designed as an alternative to Windows/OSX, so maybe you should set your standards lower. Linux does the things it was originally designed for very well, better than Windows does the same things.

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27209
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Winnow »

Aardor wrote: You're disappointed that you aren't good enough with computers to use Linux the way you want to, and so you fall back on the "it's not easy enough" cop out.

Where are you coming up with this? I can install linux, I can use the apps, they aren't as good or effecient to use as a customized Windows which is what I'm referring to as "power user". I'm not talking about a command line code junkie.

I'm talking about if I want to get something done (not server related) and want to do it as efficiently and fast as possible, Windows is the answer. That's the bottom line for me. Some people may like to fuck around with shit but when I'm actually focused on a project, I want to do it fast which means I customize my OS to do just that.

Even for Multimedia, which Macs seem to excel in, I have image viewers, video apps, musics apps, that I found to be better on the PC. That doesn't mean iTunes isn't serviceable and the common Joe won't like it.

On the flip side, Vista works fine right out of the box without much customization at all for the "make it simple" Mac type user, yet you have the ability to find those niche apps, and power apps if you wish.

I can break down every category of software app I use and tell you why I can work faster or why it functions better for me than the OSX apps I found. Sure, some are the same on both Mac, Linux and Windows. In those cases, Linux wins over Mac due to it's UI flexibility (menus/resizing, etc).

As an overall package, I couldn't last on OSX as I'd have to go back to Vista/Windows to do things faster.

I'm willing to ignore the UI issues for others that may not care about dragging their mouse across two full screens but the available applications alone make Windows the preferred option for anyone that works beyond the basics.


Last note. I'm in a pissy mood for other reasons today so take that as a hint that I'm somewhat of an ass today. Post apologies for that.

User avatar
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 1443
Joined: July 23, 2002, 12:32 am
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612
Location: Allentown, PA
Contact:

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Aardor »

I got that statement from the other Linux thread/this one, while you are talking about having trouble getting apps installed/working (like when you had to get a distribution that already had compiz pre-installed instead of installing it yourself).

I understand what you are saying, and I covered all that stuff in previous points. So i'm going to try to explain this one last time: What you are reviewing linux for is flawed. You're trying to evaluate it as an OS replacement for OSX or Windows, which is not what it is for (at least yet). So you went through this big process of testing all these distros, when anyone with a little knowledge of Linux could have told you to not waste your time. If you had tried to review Linux from the standpoint of a replacement for OSX/Windows, your reviews would have been a bit better than worthless. However, you only partially did this, and would randomly spout off about how Linux sucks and is a disappointment.

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27209
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Winnow »

Aardor wrote:I got that statement from the other Linux thread/this one, while you are talking about having trouble getting apps installed/working (like when you had to get a distribution that already had compiz pre-installed instead of installing it yourself).
Part of what I was trying out Linux for was ease of use/installation. I did get beryl to run installing it on top of some distro of Linux but it was a bitch and fucking around with xorg configs isn't what any normal user would be doing. So while I can do it, it's nowhere near being hassle free.

I went for the Sabayon distro because it had everything preinstalled...tons of apps, etc all on one DVD...afterall, that's the easiest for a non tech geek to install something as there's no way they're going to figure out the fucked up way linux installs apps afterwards.

It's simply not easy and not worth the hassle. Doubleclicking on an executable file to install an app is something that Macs and PCs have had for ages...Commodores, etc as well. Linux has some assbackwards horrific method of installing apps as well as like three or four different methods depending on what distro you use.

I can do it. It's a tedious process that is not going to win over or even be doable by the common user.

So, for my evaluation, which was based on how easy new distros of linux are to install, how usable, and how easy they are to update and find new apps after the initial install, and how well it's supported by the major video card makers...it failed miserably.

User avatar
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 2104
Joined: July 22, 2002, 4:28 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Boringham, AL

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Xatrei »

I refuse to discuss this subject with Winnow any longer 8)
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27209
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Winnow »

Xatrei wrote:I refuse to discuss this subject with Winnow any longer 8)

wtf? The whole purpose of this thread was to get you to post a tirade. : )

User avatar
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 4147
Joined: July 10, 2002, 2:26 am
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis
Location: A Secure Location

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Fash »

Statistics show that Average users are not choosing linux. Winnow is an average user,
but mostly correct from his perspective.

Windows has become pretty much exclusively a GUI based OS. You can still get to the command line in a gui window, possibly even boot to it (still able to in Vista?) but you can't launch the gui from there.

Linux is a console, text-based OS. The GUI is a 3rd-party add-on. I am a dork because I composed the following sentence: I miss interacting with my computer on a command line level.

My vision of the future... in which my ideal OS would be text-based, follow a more intuitive file-system structure, have native database support, and take from the 'screens' command in Linux to enable GUI applications and multi-tasking but improve upon it much further. MS and Apple port their GUIs to this OS and become applications you can launch and close, marketing instead their development tools and frameworks. Windows would become a software dependency instead of a system requirement. It's nice to dream.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.

User avatar
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 10003
Joined: August 22, 2002, 1:34 am
Gender: Male
Location: Calabasas, CA

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by noel »

Aardor wrote:OSX:
[*]Simple
BSD UNIX with a clean interface is considered 'simple' ?
Aardor wrote:[*]Offers everything windows does but games
You spelled UNIX wrong.

:P :P :P
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27209
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Winnow »

Fash wrote:Statistics show that Average users are not choosing linux. Winnow is an average user,
but mostly correct from his perspective.
We're going to have to define average user because I'm far from an average user in Windows.

There's two types of power users. Your average user surfs the net, buys a premade computer and has a MySpace page. Average users settle for the default apps, file managers, and send their relatives eGrams through email.

Command line bullshit I did plenty of...back in the C64/Amiga, and early dos/windows days. I'm not a programmer and don't care to be one. I'll dig in and modify scripts, etc when needed.

I deliberately don't want to be heavily involved with Linux. I don't see the value in that for my needs. even so, I've spent plenty of time screwing around with the different distros out of curiousity, fucking around with the god damned xorg files.

On the other hand, I want maximum production combined with ease of use out of my PC. The last pre made computer I bought (besides the laptop) was an Amiga I think. If something I own is hackable, it's hacked.

If I'm an average user, I'm impressed with the PC World population and dumbfounded at the low level of competence I see at work and on net forums. Perhaps most people are feigning stupidity to have others solve their problems.

Average user of Linux, yes. I don't want to see Linux users calling windows users average. You don't need to be a programmer to be far exceeding the normal knowledge of an "average" user. Define another category as Applications Side Power User and place me in that. Programmers, game designers, etc are on a whole other level and category than me. As one who desires efficient, powerful production out of a computer, I choose the Windows environment. Your averge user is going to choose OSX because they don't give a fuck and must deal with whatever defaults are presented to them. Without knowing any better, that's going to appear to be OSX.

10 PRINT "Hello, I'm the Commodore 64 - What is your name ";:INPUT A$
20 PRINT "Hello " A$
30 END

Top that bitches!

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27209
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Winnow »

Finished up my attempt to install linux via the new quick and easy "Wubi"

Results: Epic Failure

-Kubuntu never was able to download
-Ubuntu connected to server so I went with that
-Wubi downloaded ubuntu CD install in the background and then asked to reboot
-Rebooted, Ubuntu showed up as a boot option in the boot loader
-Booted Ubuntu, got loading screen and then pitch black screen (end attempt #1)
-Booted Ubuntu, escaped into trouble shooting menu, tried the "if having ACPI issues select this" option, got same black screen after loading screen (end attempt #2)
-Booted Ubuntu, escaped into trouble shooting menu, tried "if having graphic issues" was able to boot into Ubuntu
-no option to select anything other than 600x800 res so looked for nVidia drivers.
-found none in the hardware drivers where the Ubuntu help said to look.
-went to installer and searched for nVidia drivers, found something, installed it
-still no option for other res after reboot, searched for more help, happened upon some command line that was supposed to activate nVidia drivers
-2X crashes after reboots
-booted into troubleshooting mode and was able to boot into Ubuntu again. Was able to change res to 1920x1200
-no sign of second monitor or options to add it.
-rebooted, ubuntu crashed
-rebooted into safe mode, ubuntu won't load
-ubuntu won't load no matter what I do

Conclusion: Linux not ready for simple install.

What a piece of crap, picky OS.

I guess it won't detect a 9600GT video card. It hasn't been out more than five years yet so its not supported.

Conclusion 2: if the stars are aligned and you have specific hardware that will work with Linux, you might be able to install this.

Improvement for Linux for 2008: sound was detected without going through hoops

If you keep your same computer for five years, around 2013, Linux might have a distro that will work with both video and sound right from the start. Projecting 2015 for no hassle dual monitors.

Now don't give me the spiel about not being able to install it. I can install it if I rummage through the net and track down all the fixes needed, as anyone will have to do who doesn't have the magic components that will work, those being harder to find than a Wonka Bar Golden Ticket.
------

Wubi install is pretty slick if it worked. Basically load the little app in windows, click install, enter a password for the new install and it takes care of the rest. The problem is that there might be one PC per 1000 that works with an install "out of the box", If not, prepare to deal with command lines, driver installs (nVidia and ATi drivers don't come preinstalled with this.), etc...all the things the "common user" isn't going to want to deal with. ..wtf kind of "easy install" is something that won't have the proper drivers for 95% of the people that try to install it?

So far, beside people wanting servers and poor people, Linux will do well preinstalled on hardware prepicked to work and sold to people over 80 years old that want to surf the net and can't afford a Mac.

User avatar
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 11500
Joined: July 3, 2002, 3:06 pm
XBL Gamertag: miir1
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by miir »

Conclusion: Linux not ready for simple install.

What a piece of crap, picky OS.

I guess it won't detect a 9600GT video card. It hasn't been out more than five years yet so its not supported.
Hehe, you're so fucking thick.

Maybe you should blame nvidia for not yet having proper linux drivers for that card.
Maybe you should blame yourself for trying to install linux on a system with unsupported hardware.


An average linux user would check hardware compatibility before they even started installing.
I guess that means you are below average.
Last edited by miir on July 31, 2008, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z

User avatar
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 2604
Joined: May 14, 2003, 11:09 am
Location: Columbus OH
Contact:

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Ashur »

Winnow wrote:Finished up my attempt to install linux via the new quick and easy "Wubi"

Results: Epic Failure

<snip>
And we arrive at the LINUX SUCKS, WINDOWS RULES part of the thread. Thanks for playing.
- Ash

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27209
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote: Maybe you should blame nvidia for not yet having proper linux drivers for that card.
Maybe you should blame yourself for trying to install linux on a system with unsupported software.
Maybe not.

Ubuntu is the most popular linux distribution. If the major video card makers aren't going to support the platform, it's not going anywhere soon.

I understand it's free. I don't see anywhere where I'm complaining about support, just mentioning that it's lacking as a matter of fact.

Ashur, I could give a shit about linux geek status. As I've mentioned many times, I'm checking on how far along linux as come from time to time in the ease of use/compatibility category. I appreciate those that want to take the time to screw around with it. I do that with other things.

Id compare linux to someone that spends $10 more in gas to find a station that is selling gas for .02 cheaper per gallon, using time as a valued asset. Why do people like fancy brand ice cream over a five gallon drum of ice cream from the discount store? Because it tastes better.

Image

These would represent linux with various colors available.

Image

This would represent Mac Basketball shoes

Image

These would represent Windows

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12039
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Aslanna »

I'm comfortable at the command line as I basically work on unix boxes all day at work. But that doesn't mean all operations need to be launched from there. There are things, mainly file operations, which are a lot easier (for me) when they are GUI based.

Honestly I don't run a linux-based OS for one simple reason: There is no benefit for me to do so. So all the terms like 'average user' and power user' being thrown about are ridiculous since they don't apply. Not to mention I use some specific Windows-only applications and hardware that are not supported, or have equivalents, in the linux environment. I grew out of the "giving Bill Gates the bird" phase many years ago now I just care about getting the task at hand done. For good or evil Windows allows me to do that.

Having said that Vista still sucks and I refuse to use it!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 8904
Joined: July 7, 2002, 9:12 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471
Wii Friend Code: unban cart

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Funkmasterr »

There are a few linux geeks here at work and they always crack me up. They are usually 100% socially inept, and have books like "Windows Annoyances for Geeks" at their desks. I guess they are usually IT people so they can have some power over other users, because they are sick of being laughed at.

Sorry, you can thank aslanna for that tangent.
People of color puts people first.

User avatar
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 4620
Joined: April 11, 2003, 5:53 am
Location: Canberra

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Zaelath »

Funkmasterr wrote:There are a few linux geeks here at work and they always crack me up. They are usually 100% socially inept, and have books like "Windows Annoyances for Geeks" at their desks. I guess they are usually IT people so they can have some power over other users, because they are sick of being laughed at.

Sorry, you can thank aslanna for that tangent.
LOL....
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27209
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Winnow »

Some anti linux sites for entertainment:

http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/08/16/5- ... st-follow/

Image

lmnt9
Gets Around
Gets Around
Posts: 178
Joined: November 16, 2006, 6:19 pm

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by lmnt9 »

It really all boils down to what you really use a computer for.

There are some things Windows does better than *nix and some things *nix does better than Windows. Trying to argue either side as the indisputable winner is ridiculous.

I actually try to make an effort to use *nix for things, but sometimes it just proves to be too difficult (Changing the audio stream in an mkv from DTS at AC3). Generally most multimedia related projects are easier to achieve in Windows.

But try to manipulate a file with 200K+ lines in Windows - good luck. Cake in *nix.

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27209
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Winnow »

lmnt9 wrote:
But try to manipulate a file with 200K+ lines in Windows - good luck. Cake in *nix.
maybe if you're trying to manipulate the file using notepad. excel spreadsheets with 500K lines are no problem for windows...and that was six years ago when I had only had 1GB of ram.

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12039
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Aslanna »

lmnt9 wrote:But try to manipulate a file with 200K+ lines in Windows - good luck. Cake in *nix.
Yeah, using the standard Windows apps (Notepad/Wordpad) good luck. I use TextPad and it has no problems loading in large text files.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
Posts: 2104
Joined: July 22, 2002, 4:28 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Boringham, AL

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Xatrei »

gvim on windows works great!
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12039
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Aslanna »

But can it do block selection? Meaning columns as well as rows? That's the main reason I use TextPad. That and it's a small. Look at those features!

I'm not really sure what this thread is about anymore...
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

lmnt9
Gets Around
Gets Around
Posts: 178
Joined: November 16, 2006, 6:19 pm

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by lmnt9 »

Winnow wrote:
lmnt9 wrote:
But try to manipulate a file with 200K+ lines in Windows - good luck. Cake in *nix.
maybe if you're trying to manipulate the file using notepad. excel spreadsheets with 500K lines are no problem for windows...and that was six years ago when I had only had 1GB of ram.
Eh? Max rows in Excel has been 65k until 2007. And what moron would try to load that kind of data in notepad anyway - oh wait I know, a "power user".

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27209
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Winnow »

lmnt9 wrote:
Winnow wrote:
lmnt9 wrote:
But try to manipulate a file with 200K+ lines in Windows - good luck. Cake in *nix.
maybe if you're trying to manipulate the file using notepad. excel spreadsheets with 500K lines are no problem for windows...and that was six years ago when I had only had 1GB of ram.
Eh? Max rows in Excel has been 65k until 2007. And what moron would try to load that kind of data in notepad anyway - oh wait I know, a "power user".
I was able to cram 500K lines into 65K using the excelstuffer add-on.

User avatar
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 9425
Joined: July 6, 2002, 2:00 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Wubi - Ubuntu

Post by Boogahz »

My ePeen is 100billionx the size of yours

Post Reply