Hurricane Sandy

What do you think about the world?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Hurricane Sandy

Post by Winnow »

Hope Obama handles this well or he'll lose votes! Since this happened on his watch, it's completely his fault.

Hope everyone on the East coast rides it out ok. Looks like a ton of rainfall already and the main storm hasn't even hit yet.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post by Winnow »

CNN just had a full segment showing reporters getting blown around while reporting on the hurricane. Idiots! (except for CNN's Erin Burnett. She looks pretty hot even when she's all wet and getting blown around)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Neil degrasse Tyson made a good comment pertaining to that, something about Darwin and culling the herd.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

This storm was punishment from god to the blue states for voting for Obama... and a warning not to vote for him again.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Is it wrong for me to hope that a guy in NJ that I hate somehow lost money from this? My ex-fiancée met some guy online, and he pushed her to overturn custody of my son. She will never win it, but I hope he fucking lost everything for helping to cause this.

My sympathy goes out to everyone else there. I hope this is taken care of professionally and quickly.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Photo Op! Vote for me!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Not to understate/undermine/whatever the suffering, it wasn't that nasty a storm. They just weren't prepared for it, arguable if they realistically could be.

Nowhere near what it could've been like an Andrew or Hugo with 145+ winds and a 20+ foot storm surge. Which has happened before and will again. How to prepare? Don't be within 20 miles of the coast for starters.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

In Jersey in my area, its a lot of older houses (1920's and earlier) with old trees around the lines. A ton of trees are down and it's all of the old, town planted trees near the street and guess where the wires are. We're w/out power and I have to drive a mile or so to get a cell signal but still have water. Probably won't have power for at least another few days. just too many damn trees fell.
it's better to be at work to be honest, if you can get there.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Chidoro wrote:In Jersey in my area, its a lot of older houses (1920's and earlier) with old trees around the lines. A ton of trees are down and it's all of the old, town planted trees near the street and guess where the wires are. We're w/out power and I have to drive a mile or so to get a cell signal but still have water. Probably won't have power for at least another few days. just too many damn trees fell.
it's better to be at work to be honest, if you can get there.
Bad stuff comes in threes. You experienced 911, Sandy..and around 2023 something really bad will happen. Leave the city!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I am not sure "in threes" applies when the time span between the three items is ~22 years.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Aslanna wrote:I am not sure "in threes" applies when the time span between the three items is ~22 years.
At least you can tell the raid team where the hell I've been this past week. Sun night is looking doubtful too

if you follow @PSEGdelivers on twitter, they are posting a lot of pics from near me in recognition that guys are coming to work on the problem
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Chidoro wrote:....old trees around the lines.
People piss and moan at the power company for trimming them way back from the power lines but we don't usually have too much of that causing problems.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aabidano wrote:Not to understate/undermine/whatever the suffering, it wasn't that nasty a storm.
Yeah, it was just a HOOKERWHORESLUT, really. It's not like a bunch of people have died so far or anything.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Spang wrote:It's not like a bunch of people have died so far or anything.
What does that have to do with the price of catshit in Romania? Are cause and effect utterly lost on you? All things considered they got off pretty light.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aabidano wrote:All things considered they got off pretty light.
Yes, except for all of the devastation, it was a pretty tame storm.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I think what he's saying is.. It was only a Category 1 hurricane so yes.. They did "get off light". Or got lucky. Call it what you want. Unless you want to be a dumbass as usual.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I feel for all the people effected by it, and while I agree it could've been worse, to me it begs the question: how much of an effect are we having on the environment? We're seeing a increase in storms like this, even in places where they're much less common.

One thing is for sure, if Obama can make a significant effort to help by Tuesday, it'll definitely help him with votes, especially considering Romney's plans for FEMA, etc.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aslanna wrote:I think what he's saying is.. It was only a Category 1 hurricane so yes.. They did "get off light". Or got lucky. Call it what you want. Unless you want to be a dumbass as usual.
Hey, buddy, you just lost your house and your wife, but look on the bright side: at least it wasn't a Category 5!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Clearly, people are looking at the bigger picture, since most of us are looking in from the outside. Clearly that's lost on you.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Funkmasterr wrote:Clearly, people are looking at the bigger picture, since most of us are looking in from the outside. Clearly that's lost on you.
This could very well be the costliest storm in United States history, and Global Warming is largely responsible, given its late-October appearance. My bigger picture is bigger than your bigger picture, and a lot less insensitive.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

global warming? you're not even in the right decade for that misguided cause.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Spang wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Clearly, people are looking at the bigger picture, since most of us are looking in from the outside. Clearly that's lost on you.
This could very well be the costliest storm in United States history, and Global Warming is largely responsible, given its late-October appearance. My bigger picture is bigger than your bigger picture, and a lot less insensitive.

From the National Hurricane Center:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
Hurricane season in the Atlantic begins June 1st and ends November 30th.
This was a category 1 (weakest) hurricane that fell well within the normal range for hurricanes. It means absolutely nothing regarding "global warming". It's been a weaker than average year for hurricanes.

Sell crazy somewhere else.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Spang wrote:
Psst, no one says global warming anymore, it's climate change. While I don't think anyone that knows what they're talking about would deny there is an effect we are having on the environment, I don't know that there has been substantial research to back your claim. See, I'm actually curious from a scientific standpoint, you're just being dragged around by your vagina. The universe is a cold, violent place, and if you want to get involved in the science behind this shit, you better get comfortable with that fact, Marcia.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Funkmasterr wrote:While I don't think anyone that knows what they're talking about would deny there is an effect we are having on the environment, I don't know that there has been substantial research to back your claim.
You don't think that there's been substantial research on Climate Change and it's effect on the environment? Are you on drugs?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Spang wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:While I don't think anyone that knows what they're talking about would deny there is an effect we are having on the environment, I don't know that there has been substantial research to back your claim.
You don't think that there's been substantial research on Climate Change and it's effect on the environment? Are you on drugs?
There absolutely is a lot of research being conducted, but to get a grasp on the exact effects we're having it's going to take decades more, at minimum. Do you have a grasp of the scale of time and how long things take to change on a large scale? If it takes a few decades to research and decide conclusively what effect a drug has on people, how long do you suppose it would take to research a entire global ecosystem, separating effects of solar activity and any other factors out of our control from the things we contribute to change we are seeing, and come to a sound conclusion on exactly how severely we are negatively effecting the Earth? Trust me, I know far more than you about this, don't try and peddle your emotion-based bullshit here.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Funkmasterr wrote:Trust me, I know far more than you about this...
Yes, your ePeen is very large.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Well shit, you sure put me in my place.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Spang wrote:
It's funny how often I hear this line from people that deny climate change more than from people who support it. And it's almost always bullshit, they might read a lot of anti climate change articles, but actual research is zero.

I even had one of them show me an article from their favourite source, which given 5 minutes looking at the excutive summary of the source document showed that the "news" article claimed the exact opposite of what the authors of the study were claiming.

Not that a lot of pro-cc people aren't just as ill-informed, they just seem to be less likely to claim knowledge they don't have.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Spang wrote:Hey, buddy, you just lost your house and your wife, but look on the bright side: at least it wasn't a Category 5!
I realize I might as well be addressing my cat but when you build a house on sand right on the coast this is what you should expect to happen periodically. Especially if you don't evacuate. I intentionally live 26 miles inland and 43' up, close to a major substation and with buried power & phone on purpose.

It's not some freak occurrence, that it doesn't happen more often is more surprising. NY metro is amazingly vulnerable given it's significance to the global economy, another 10' of storm surge or 20 mph of wind and...

As sea levels rise for whatever reason it will happen more often. Our pumping down major/ancient aquifers for irrigation accounts for a measurable chunk of it without even "believing in" global warming.

When misguided people sue the county for trying to clear trees off power lines you've no cause at all to bitch when your pretty trees take out the line. Same douchebags who refuse to pay the extra $1k on a $250k house to have the lines buried. And bitch when their 6' above sea level street floods and the salt water kills the grass.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Zaelath wrote:
Spang wrote:
It's funny how often I hear this line from people that deny climate change more than from people who support it. And it's almost always bullshit, they might read a lot of anti climate change articles, but actual research is zero.

I even had one of them show me an article from their favourite source, which given 5 minutes looking at the excutive summary of the source document showed that the "news" article claimed the exact opposite of what the authors of the study were claiming.

Not that a lot of pro-cc people aren't just as ill-informed, they just seem to be less likely to claim knowledge they don't have.
Not sure what you were responding to, since neither of the people you quoted are anti climate change. However one of us is very interested from a scientific standpoint and the other feels the way he does because of his irrational emotions that you can clearly see determine his stance on many things.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

The scary thing about this is, eventually NY is going to get hit by a category 3 or so, and that is going to do some real damage. If it hits at the right angle, New York would be completely submerged and likely destroyed.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

People getting frustrated with long gas lines and no power on East Coast. Not good for Obama.