Some Hamidon Info

CoH Discussion
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Some Hamidon Info

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

XP will be divided amongst all groups that do damage to the Hamidon based on the amount of damage each group puts out. Then XP within each group will be split according to the standard grouping XP share rules.

-

As for rewards, according to Statesman's original description (I'll keep spoilers to a minimum) the defeat of the Hamidon occurs in a way that should allow all members of the raid force to have an opportunity to pick up at least one reward and possibly multiples. The rewards themselves will be highly desirable.

-

The rewards are SO enhancements with 2 effects on them. So you might find a damage/accuracy or a slow/charge rate, etc.

The way that you get these is by killing the blobs that Hamidon expels after it is defeated. They drop from each of these killed and round robin through the group as normal. If you have more than one group then be sure to have your blasters spread amongst them so that not all the blobs are taken by one group or another.

They'd like to simply give everyone one of these enhancements after a Hammy kill, but this is not to be. Expect fights to arise when a blaster gets smart and finds a way to kill all the blobs on his own, or drops from group and grabs all that he can for hisself right after the battle is over. (Not to mention having reaped the benefits of the group through sharing a tank healers and controllers, but then getting the mad xp that comes with doing the sick damage that blasters do).

So this is going to be a mess, and players will demand changes. But it is a mess that we won't run into for about another 3 weeks when the number of level 38+ is more like 30% of the player base instead of 5%.

Right now all those level 38's are everyone's friends, so you probably won't have any losers that do these things. . . Then again, you might.

Also, Hamidon is supposed to be uber now. He was a chump in beta, but I think they wanted to test slow down for players caused by Hammy's effects and stuff. The idea is that it should take 75 players to beat him. My guess is that it will take the powergamers more like 24.

-

Was there. Was more in the 70 to 80 characters range. The first "regroup and try again" bit after most folks ended up going to the Hospital in FF and coming back and getting teleported resulted in unknowingly (a lot of us were going "Where the hell is Phantom!? I can't see him to target him to assist and focus my damage through him! Who has him targetted?!") splitting the assault force into two clusters on almost directly opposite sides of the Hamidon.

Once we all regrouped into one area and gave it another healthy go, I think we figured out a tactic that's at least worth a good shot at taking it down. It was clear to see that too many people there didn't have much raid/epic event experience from other games, though, as it was a huge freaking disorganized mess with too little coordination. I felt for Grey.

-

Preparing and Organizing

Hamidon from afar

Drem
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Drem »

From one of the designers:
Hammy itself was given a major boost because of the reports that groups of 5-20 players were able to defeat it. The goal of this monster was to take upwards to 200 players to bring it down. So if you and your supergroup can't take it down by yourselves, then it's doing its job.

Sorry you don't like the Hamidon changes, but when it takes only a handful of players to defeat it, and the original design goal states it should take a near full server to do, then something had to be done.
Just goes to show that high end content sucks. Go go zerg bind suicide!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

That first encounter screenshot looks a bit much like any regular EQ raid
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

I don't know why designers think mega zerg fests are fun or even brilliant difficult encounters. Why design something like this? It only encourages mega zerg and griefing at the end by the surviving blasters who make a quick KS rush to scoop up the enhancements. If you are going to put something in that takes more than even 24 people to kill, it should be godzilla or something similar that shows up in a mid level zone stomping around until a horde of high levels come in to own it, with a million hp and able to be hit by anyone. Fuck the zerg in its ass. Its Sony's lasting legacy to online gaming.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Holy Everquest.