The Giant Space Goat.

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

The Giant Space Goat.

Post by Noysyrump »

Well here is my theory on the Universe as we know it, I am not attempting to debunk any other theological views that may already exsist nor am I planning to write a book on how we should live our lives (wich always seems to cause strife and wars and such)

Everyone has heard that the Universe is boundless. There is no end to it. Just goes on and on... But where does it go too?

One thing most people fail to consider about the Universe is scale. In the movies the aliens are always the same size as us and live in about the same way. But there's much more to it...

If you look at the basic make-up of matter it can all be broken down. Our bodies are built up of cells, wich are made up of molecules, wich contain atoms made of nuetrons protons and electrons, wich are made up from quarks... and it just goes down from there...

Have any of you ever taken the time to think about the "building blocks" in the other direction? We all make up the planet earth, much like a quark (quarm whatever its called) and the earth in turn rotates about the sun just as an electron does about its nuetron within an atom. This solar system is part of the larger Milkyway Galaxy much the same as a molecule (can you see where this is heading?) and the galaxies form together to creat the...

Well this is where our scientific view reaches is pinnacle. We simply cannot fathom what exsists beyond this. Our perception just cannot function at this HUGE of a scale.

Well I'm here to tell you. Our planet makes up an atom, within a molecule, that is all part of a hair on the back of The Giant Space Goat.
Upon this I am sure. Everything you see. Everything you know. It all IS The Giant Space Goat.

Now I'm not trying to say that the exsisting religions are wrong, in fact I believe them to be true. The Bible and the Koran both speak of God (Allah) as the beeing that will shepard us in life. Well The Giant Space Goat as it happens is domesticated and tended to a beeing much the same as a shepard.

**Dodges Thunder Bolts**

Please direct any Jihad car bombs at those responsible for the madness that has overcome me, Sony Online Entertainment, EQ did it...
Sick Balls!
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Actually the known universe goes to bakersfield and stops...
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Zygar_ Cthulhukin »

man, I could have spammed lvl 59 dru LFA TWICE while reading that.
{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \\(^o^)// --- I DID IT!!!! -Hiro
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

You know, this really does make sense. Maybe not the part about it being a goat haha, but the idea that our universe could juse be a molecule in something much larger.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Asheran Mojomaster wrote:You know, this really does make sense. Maybe not the part about it being a goat haha, but the idea that our universe could juse be a molecule in something much larger.
There it is the Cheech and Chong Theory of Cosmology...
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Arborealus wrote:Actually the known universe goes to bakersfield and stops...
You win cool points for that quote, sir!
Rasspotari
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Rasspotari »

have u seen how it sorta twirls around, like our solarsystem etc. i think we are in a blender at some large guys' house and he's making one of those powerdrinks.

i bet his name is Fred and he likes walks in the moonlight and loves baseball when there is only one team.
Rasspotari
Rogue
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Rasspotari wrote:have u seen how it sorta twirls around, like our solarsystem etc. i think we are in a blender at some large guys' house and he's making one of those powerdrinks.

i bet his name is Fred and he likes walks in the moonlight and loves baseball when there is only one team.
Lastest research indicates its actually Bob and he is making a Mega Colon-Blow but your are spot on on the rest!
Last edited by Arborealus on February 8, 2004, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Arborealus wrote:
Rasspotari wrote:have u seen how it sorta twirls around, like our solarsystem etc. i think we are in a blender at some large guys' house and he's making one of those powerdrinks.

Lastest research indicates its actually Bob and he is making a Mega Colon-Blast but your are spot on on the rest!
Colon Blow!
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Asheran Mojomaster wrote:
Arborealus wrote:

Lastest research indicates its actually Bob and he is making a Mega Colon-Blast but your are spot on on the rest!
Colon Blow!
Ack you are correct Sir!
Sanaelya
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Sanaelya »

i first noticed this similarity in science class when i was in 8th grade

thinking of shit like this on your own w/o learning or being taught it is pure $$

i sometimes wonder what is going on in peoples minds that i see day to day, and think its most likely just their day to day business, families, drama etc

i think that a lot of intellectual thinking is lost once most people stop going to school/college

but even when i was in school i still felt the same about my classmates, wondered if they ever thought about stuff like this

another thing i wondered is, if you could look through someone elses eyes (and see colors decoded by their brain not yours) would they look the same as they do to you, same with tastes etc
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Sanaelya wrote: another thing i wondered is, if you could look through someone elses eyes (and see colors decoded by their brain not yours) would they look the same as they do to you, same with tastes etc
If you are asking this literally the answer would be no not exactly but very close...Assuming your brain intrepreted the input from the sensory organs...The mechanical transduction of the signals is identical...Its when the brain gets the data that it gets really different...:)...
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Sanaelya wrote:another thing i wondered is, if you could look through someone elses eyes (and see colors decoded by their brain not yours) would they look the same as they do to you, same with tastes etc
Often wondered that same thing; although I'm pretty sure it is the same based on the chemical/physical makeup of the eyes in various humans; although I could just be talking out of my ass since I honestly know little about the eyes/brain as far as medical research goes.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Sanaelya
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Sanaelya »

im not talking about the eyes.. im talking about the brains interpretation of the signals, they can do eye transplants now and people see the same as they did (better of course) with their original eye/s

but who knows if one persons purple is another persons green

everyone could see the same, then again, how do you know for sure unless you were able to see the signals being decoded and viewed by their brain
Drasta
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drasta »

kinda like in the dark tower series ... like where there could be a million universes on a blade of grass?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

---SINGING!---

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'.

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.
We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
We go 'round every two hundred million years,
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Sanaelya wrote:im not talking about the eyes.. im talking about the brains interpretation of the signals, they can do eye transplants now and people see the same as they did (better of course) with their original eye/s

but who knows if one persons purple is another persons green

everyone could see the same, then again, how do you know for sure unless you were able to see the signals being decoded and viewed by their brain
Yeah, I have always wondered about this too. That could also account for the fact that some people can naturally tell what colors go together well and others can't (they can just see that the colors clash, while other people see the colors in a different perspective where they seem somewhat ok to them), or how some people can't tell navy blue \ black apart, or other similiar colors, but some people can (they may contrast more to the people that can).
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Except for colorblindness we all see colors about the same...or we'd be kinda silly to colour traffic lights...;)
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Yes i too have wondered whether or not my purple was someone else's pink...

But you're gettin off topic. Its the goat man.... the goat.

Baaaaaaaaaa....
Sick Balls!
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

"Ia! Shubniggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!"
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

The last person in this clip has the answer!

Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Arborealus wrote:Except for colorblindness we all see colors about the same...or we'd be kinda silly to colour traffic lights...;)
Not necessarily, if my pink is your green, then all green lights (or anything else green for that matter) would be pink for you (though you would call it green). Traffic lights would still work fine, because you would have learned what color to go on based on your colors, not someone elses.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Exactly like the idea in mne in black with the universe within the marbles. And big alien dudes at the end, playing marbles with our universe.
Tinkin Tankem
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Tinkin Tankem »

Boil that dust spec, boil that dust spec....
Rump , you should read the child book "Horton hears a who" or something similar. Good reading

Tinkin
Thinking of something new!
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Arborealus wrote:Except for colorblindness we all see colors about the same...or we'd be kinda silly to colour traffic lights...;)
Not necessarily, if my pink is your green, then all green lights (or anything else green for that matter) would be pink for you (though you would call it green). Traffic lights would still work fine, because you would have learned what color to go on based on your colors, not someone elses.
Yup thats true thats all associated. Hrmmm testing would require an innate species typical response to a given frequency...tough one to build an experiment around...Lemme think about this one a bit, may not be any way to test the hypothesis at all...
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Arborealus wrote:
Yup thats true thats all associated. Hrmmm testing would require an innate species typical response to a given frequency...tough one to build an experiment around...Lemme think about this one a bit, may not be any way to test the hypothesis at all...
If there was a way to test it it would have already been done. No real way to prove it one way or the other.
brego
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by brego »

im sure it could be done, but i think that it would take a very very long time and would encompass a lot of different approaches, but yeah, i see where you're coming from ash, but there's gotta be a way to prove this, and if i had more time id prolly throw out an idea on how to do it but not right now hehe, have other things to do=\
If buttered toast always lands buttered side down, and cats always land on their feet, what would happen if you taped a piece of buttered toast to the back of a cat, butter side up and gingerly tossed the cat out of the window?

http://www.b-unit.com

--Brego Pwnedyouseriously
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

How though? Even if someone could invent some way to see things through other peoples eyes, chances are you brain would interpret the images it would show you the same way they would if you really saw them and they would look the same to you even if the person you are using doesn't see them the same as you do...if that makes sense.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

I really think Ash is right...color name is simple association of the frequency with the word...every paradigm I can think of involves multiple associations which would inherently produce non-reduceable intervening variables...ie every test requires some prior association with frequency in question...

Basically the test would require some species typical or specific response or reflex to specific light frequencies...I am not aware of any such response or reflex...Though there may be a model around those with colorblindness...It seems there should be but it evades me for now...

Really fun to think about how to test it though...:)...Beats most chess games...
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

BTW, my colors > all!
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

My brother actually calls yellow pink for some reason. He's done it since he was like 3. He'll stop and realize what he's saying usually, but somewhere along the lines it got in his head that the color yellow was pink.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Psyloche wrote:My brother actually calls yellow pink for some reason. He's done it since he was like 3. He'll stop and realize what he's saying usually, but somewhere along the lines it got in his head that the color yellow was pink.
Blame Lemonade!
emmer
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by emmer »

I think about the limitations of space sometimes after I crawl into bed, something about it helps me sleep.

It's true that we have no idea how far up or down it scales, but fundamentally there is only really one question. Does the vast expanse of our universe, no matter how large or tiny things get, ever come to a point where there is a definitive smallest possible object? A largest possible object? A stop where you cannot go any further?

Basically, are there limitations? Do you come to a proverbial wall at the end of these limitations? What is on the other side of the "wall"? We are unable to comprehend this.

Are there no limitations? An endless void of existance? We are unable to comprehend this as well.

ZzZzzZZzZzzzzzzzz...
Vailex Darkfury
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Vailex Darkfury »

All hail the Spider Queen!
Pyre-Fire/Devices-Blaster

This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.
Chmee
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Re: The Giant Space Goat.

Post by Chmee »

Noysyrump wrote: Everyone has heard that the Universe is boundless. There is no end to it. Just goes on and on... But where does it go too?
Actually from what I remember about cosmology, the most common conception of the universe is that it is finite, but unbounded. If you think about it in terms of 2 dimensions rather than 3, the surface area of a sphere is finite, but unbounded (you don't ever get to an edge). This is because the surface area is curved in 3 dimensions. Likewise the universe is thought to be curved in 4 dimensions so the current volume is finite, but you won't ever find an edge (if you could travel a perfectly straight line you would come back to your starting point). It is also considered to be currently expanding. Once again if you consider it in 2 dimensions, if the sphere gets larger the actual surface area expands (or in 3 dimensional terms, the volume is expanding).
No nation was ever ruined by trade.

– Benjamin Franklin
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: The Giant Space Goat.

Chmee wrote:
Noysyrump wrote: Everyone has heard that the Universe is boundless. There is no end to it. Just goes on and on... But where does it go too?
Actually from what I remember about cosmology, the most common conception of the universe is that it is finite, but unbounded. If you think about it in terms of 2 dimensions rather than 3, the surface area of a sphere is finite, but unbounded (you don't ever get to an edge). This is because the surface area is curved in 3 dimensions. Likewise the universe is thought to be curved in 4 dimensions so the current volume is finite, but you won't ever find an edge (if you could travel a perfectly straight line you would come back to your starting point). It is also considered to be currently expanding. Once again if you consider it in 2 dimensions, if the sphere gets larger the actual surface area expands (or in 3 dimensional terms, the volume is expanding).
Well, if we are in the middle of this sphere, our universe, that is limited but is constantly expanding...what is it expanding into? Are there billions of universes out there, as there are planets (well billions of billions), in some sort of similar space that maybe is in some sort of multiverse (The One!), which is in turn only one of billions of multiverses that are in something even larger, and so on? Thinking about things like this makes me feel really small :cry: .
Chmee
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Chmee »

I wasn't saying the universe is a sphere, the sphere is an analogy. Imagine that instead of being a 3-dimensional creature, you were a 2-dimensional creature. The sphere is your universe, from your point of view if you have no conception of the third dimension, the sphere extends away from you in all directions (you don't know about up and down). If you try to travel in a straight line, you eventually end up back at your starting point (as you move around the circumference of the sphere). This occurs because the plane you live in is curved in the third dimension. Also imagine the sphere is getting larger. From the viewpoint of a 2-dimensional creature, the amount of space in the universe (in this case the surface area of the sphere) is increasing. If you had three points on the sphere, they would all seem to be moving away from each other. Move all of this up from 2 dimensions to three dimensions for our universe. The three dimensional universe is curved in a fourth dimension, so the amount of space at any one time is finte, but it is also unbounded, since you end up back where you start if you go in any one direction. It is also expanding, with the amount of space increasing.

Disclaimer: I haven't read much on this in probably 10 years or more, but this is what I remember from books/articles and from astronomy class in college (we had a very good guest lecturer on cosmology come through once). So not sure if any of the theory has changed (plus of course this being the layman version).
No nation was ever ruined by trade.

– Benjamin Franklin
Wonko Wenusberg
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Wonko Wenusberg »

The universe stops at the Resturant at the end of the galaxy. There you can see big bang every night as a nifty eyecandy when you've eaten your intergalactic food.

Don't forget your towel, and babelfish.
cweeedit cwuunch
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Wonko Wenusberg wrote:The universe stops at the Resturant at the end of the galaxy. There you can see big bang every night as a nifty eyecandy when you've eaten your intergalactic food.

Don't forget your towel, and babelfish.
Sass you, quite the hoopy frood. Clearly a man who know where his towel is at...:)
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Chmee wrote:I wasn't saying the universe is a sphere, the sphere is an analogy. Imagine that instead of being a 3-dimensional creature, you were a 2-dimensional creature. The sphere is your universe, from your point of view if you have no conception of the third dimension, the sphere extends away from you in all directions (you don't know about up and down). If you try to travel in a straight line, you eventually end up back at your starting point (as you move around the circumference of the sphere). This occurs because the plane you live in is curved in the third dimension. Also imagine the sphere is getting larger. From the viewpoint of a 2-dimensional creature, the amount of space in the universe (in this case the surface area of the sphere) is increasing. If you had three points on the sphere, they would all seem to be moving away from each other. Move all of this up from 2 dimensions to three dimensions for our universe. The three dimensional universe is curved in a fourth dimension, so the amount of space at any one time is finte, but it is also unbounded, since you end up back where you start if you go in any one direction. It is also expanding, with the amount of space increasing.

Disclaimer: I haven't read much on this in probably 10 years or more, but this is what I remember from books/articles and from astronomy class in college (we had a very good guest lecturer on cosmology come through once). So not sure if any of the theory has changed (plus of course this being the layman version).
Even so, if it is expanding, where is this new space comming from? I mean, if the edges of the universe are expanding they have to be expanding INTO something. Also, how could the space from one end to the other be expanding. I dunno, I really can't find the words to say what I want to say here. This is really starting to get me interested in Cosmology though.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Chmee wrote:I wasn't saying the universe is a sphere, the sphere is an analogy. Imagine that instead of being a 3-dimensional creature, you were a 2-dimensional creature. The sphere is your universe, from your point of view if you have no conception of the third dimension, the sphere extends away from you in all directions (you don't know about up and down). If you try to travel in a straight line, you eventually end up back at your starting point (as you move around the circumference of the sphere). This occurs because the plane you live in is curved in the third dimension. Also imagine the sphere is getting larger. From the viewpoint of a 2-dimensional creature, the amount of space in the universe (in this case the surface area of the sphere) is increasing. If you had three points on the sphere, they would all seem to be moving away from each other. Move all of this up from 2 dimensions to three dimensions for our universe. The three dimensional universe is curved in a fourth dimension, so the amount of space at any one time is finte, but it is also unbounded, since you end up back where you start if you go in any one direction. It is also expanding, with the amount of space increasing.

Even so, if it is expanding, where is this new space comming from? I mean, if the edges of the universe are expanding they have to be expanding INTO something. Also, how could the space from one end to the other be expanding. I dunno, I really can't find the words to say what I want to say here. This is really starting to get me interested in Cosmology though.
Cosmology is a bastard to get your mind around...:)...I would recommend starting any reading with Flatland as it will get you used to conceptualizing multidimensionality...Cosmos has a good fundamental discussion of scientific cosmology and dimensional theory(though its a bit dated now) Stephen Hawking has about the best non-mathematical overview of contemporary cosmology...Though I dont recall him discussing superstrings...Hrmmmm...I need to brush up on my reading as well it seems...:)...Good thing time is infinite...
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Arborealus wrote:

Cosmology is a bastard to get your mind around...:)...I would recommend starting any reading with Flatland as it will get you used to conceptualizing multidimensionality...Cosmos has a good fundamental discussion of scientific cosmology and dimensional theory(though its a bit dated now) Stephen Hawking has about the best non-mathematical overview of contemporary cosmology...Though I dont recall him discussing superstrings...Hrmmmm...I need to brush up on my reading as well it seems...:)...Good thing time is infinite...
Hrmm, I've been looking for something good to read lately. Maybe I'll grab one of those and try it out.
Tinkin Tankem
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Tinkin Tankem »

Was thinking about this infinate space thing a little bit more and I'm pretty sure that God put in a zone wall at the ends of the cosmos just to fuck with us!
Seebs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Seebs »

The Holy Spirit holds the bucket as baby Jesus milks the giant space goat.

Religion is still valid in this argument.
Seeber
looking for a WOW server
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Seebs wrote:The Holy Spirit holds the bucket as baby Jesus milks the giant space goat.

Seebs, I think you are quite possibly the funniest person on these boards. I worship you. :shock:
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

I have already banked my penny, for my dinner at The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. By the time it happens. the interest witll have accumulated enough to pay the price of time travel and dinner....

Those books should be required reading in school. I meat (get it) entirely too many people who have never read it.
Seebs wrote:The Holy Spirit holds the bucket as baby Jesus milks the giant space goat.

Har!!11oneexplanationONE11! I have found more believers in the Goat!
Sick Balls!
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

*bump!* More discussion of teh goat plz.
Tinkin Tankem
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Tinkin Tankem »

This isn't necessarily discussing the goat however it's part of a discussion that the rump and I got into while discussing the goat. Essentially scientists believe through study that the planets are traveling away from a central point, the _beginning_ through some massive explosion. These galaxies are not only all traveling away from this point but they are accelerating from this point.

Here on earth with gravity how it is, if you were to toss an object away from the earth, the gravity of the earth would pull slow it down and it would drop back to the ground. Given that gravity works how it works it makes no since that these galaxies and essentially all of the heavens continue to accelerate moving faster through space.

My thought on this is that say these galaxies are moving at close to the speed of light. I am not sure on the speed at which the force of gravity moves at but let's assume that it too is close to the speed of light. The first galaxy would then not be affected by the gravity of the following galxies, in fact these galaxies would only be affected on the galaxies that preceed them in there path through the heavens. Ergo they would accelerate faster and faster through space, away from there origin.

This has been cut down quite a bit from the discussion, and I still don't know how to explain that eventually the increasing of the later galaxies would pass the first galaxy thus slowing it down assumptively. Anyhow, what are your thoughts? What does goat milk from outer space really taste like ?

Tinkin
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Tinkin Tankem wrote:This isn't necessarily discussing the goat however it's part of a discussion that the rump and I got into while discussing the goat. Essentially scientists believe through study that the planets are traveling away from a central point, the _beginning_ through some massive explosion. These galaxies are not only all traveling away from this point but they are accelerating from this point.

Here on earth with gravity how it is, if you were to toss an object away from the earth, the gravity of the earth would pull slow it down and it would drop back to the ground. Given that gravity works how it works it makes no since that these galaxies and essentially all of the heavens continue to accelerate moving faster through space.

My thought on this is that say these galaxies are moving at close to the speed of light. I am not sure on the speed at which the force of gravity moves at but let's assume that it too is close to the speed of light. The first galaxy would then not be affected by the gravity of the following galxies, in fact these galaxies would only be affected on the galaxies that preceed them in there path through the heavens. Ergo they would accelerate faster and faster through space, away from there origin.

This has been cut down quite a bit from the discussion, and I still don't know how to explain that eventually the increasing of the later galaxies would pass the first galaxy thus slowing it down assumptively. Anyhow, what are your thoughts? What does goat milk from outer space really taste like ?

Tinkin
Its kinda like the force of gravity in reverse from the center of the universe from what I can tell. If you go up 30 feet in the air and drop a bowling ball, it will hit the ground pretty hard when it hits, prolly make a big dent in the ground and maybe bounce out, but if you go up a mile and drop it, it will have more room to fall and speed up much faster and when it hits it will go down a few feet and stay there. No real point in what I just said except to show that gravity works exactly the same as what you were saying all the galaxies are doing, except in reverse. The farther an object falls, the faster it goes.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Gravity is a force it doesn't move as such it is inherent with mass...so as any mass moves its gravity field moves with it..the further object 2 moves away from object 1 the less impact object 1's gravitational field has on object 2...Every object exerts a gravitational force one every other object in the universe...but at some distance based on the size of object 1 and the inertia of object 2 the effect becomes effectively nil

The galaxies are all moving away from each other at speed approaching the speed of light most are relatively far enough away from each other that their gravitational pull on each other is nil...Where they do gravitationally impact each other there is a relative shitstorm....I'll find you some "pictures" of this in a bit...Hubble has been used a lot ofr observing exactly these sorts of phenomena...I can't wait til we get the big interfereometer up and working unless that gets scrubbed...That should lets us get fantastic looks at other galaxies etc...

Also gravitational proximity can actually accelerate object relative to each other we use this slingshot effect all the time to accelerate our satellites and space vehicles...