Government run TV

What do you think about the world?
Kargyle
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Government run TV

Post by Kargyle »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... 3Apr3.html

Soon we may have our very own propaganda station. Hooray for unbiased reporting!!
Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Brotha »

Are you trying to say Al Jhazeera is unbiased? NOTHING in American even comes close to having the amount of bias that Al Jazeera has. I think it's a good idea to try to somehow get people in the middle east to see a side other than the one thrown in their faces by US hating propaganda machines, but I doubt this will end up being effective.

I can't believe you'd actually insinuate that having something to balance out Al Jazeera's atrocious reporting is some type of "affront to unbiased journalism everywhere!"
Acies
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Acies »

Brotha wrote:Take your conspiracy theories elsewhere dumbuck.
HEY, you don't like it leave the country, free speech.
Plus I did not hear Kar mentioned Al-Jhazeera in his personal comments once.
So I believe the dumbfuck title is warrented elsewhere, namely, you.
Bujinkan is teh win!
Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Brotha »

I edited out the personal attack.

As far as free speech, yes there's free speech, which is something I love about the US. There's also this little thing called accountability that seems to have been lost on people like you. If you say something stupid, it's STUPID no matter where you live or how many rights you have.

And yes, he implied there was unbiased reporting going on to begin with in the middle east.
Kargyle wrote:Hooray for unbiased reporting!!
Title of the article he linked:

Wrong Answer to al-Jazeera
Acies
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Acies »

Brotha wrote:I edited out the personal attack.

As far as free speech, yes there's free speech, which is something I love about the US. There's also this little thing called accountability that seems to have been lost on people like you. If you say something stupid, it's STUPID no matter where you live or how many rights you have.

And yes, he implied there was unbiased reporting going on to begin with in the middle east.
Kargyle wrote:Hooray for unbiased reporting!!
Title of the article he linked:

Wrong Answer to al-Jazeera
With the personal attack gone I like (& respect) you so much more Brotha :)

I think the title of "Wrong Answer to al-Jazeera" means only that if al-Jazeera is a propoganda machine, we are going to prove we are better and more apt to give the viewers something to watch by doing the same thing, only for our side?
Bujinkan is teh win!
Kargyle
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kargyle »

Forgive me if I find the thought of such blatant propaganda unappealing. What does what Al-Jazeera's reporting have to do with us? Don't we hold ourselves to a higher standard than that of the Middle East? Do we want to be guilty of the same things we don't like Al-Jazeera doing?

I uttered no "conspiracy theory", nor did I imply or insinuate that Al-Jazeera was unbiased. It would be pretty foolish of me to try and claim Al-Jazeera is unbiased while citing an article that basically states that they are a biased media outlet. How can you ask me if I am implying something, and then turn around and accuse me without waiting for a response? What is the point of questioning if you've already made up your mind that I was, in fact, implying that Al-Jazeera is unbiased. The "hooray for unbiased reporting" was more of a sarcastic barb against our government throwing away even the pretext of our media being unbiased and about the facts.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Brotha wrote:Are you trying to say Al Jhazeera is unbiased? NOTHING in American even comes close to having the amount of bias that Al Jazeera has.
You have not seen or read second fucking one of al-Jazeera in the entire miserable existence of your life. I would bet a month's salary on it.
Last edited by kyoukan on April 5, 2003, 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Fox News is so unbiases it ain't even funny!
Acies
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Acies »

Kelshara wrote:Fox News is so unbiases it ain't even funny!

..... Yeah, what she said.
Bujinkan is teh win!
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Brotha, did you even read that fucking article?
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

If you say something stupid, it's STUPID no matter where you live or how many rights you have.

hahhahhahahhahahahhahhaha

so true.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Odd, when you travel abroad, and you talk to people, you find that the average person on the street knows his news is totally biased, tries to listen to a few outside sources (BBC et al which are broadcast EVERYWHERE it seems) and form their own rounded view. In America we take the bait over and over and beleive the media except when (if conservative) they are bashing the GOP, (bastard liberal press) or (if liberal) they are bashing Clinton and the twits that haven't figured out how to run the GOP into the ground (It's the economy STUPID). Press=biased=propoganda
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Good point Pherr. While growing up in Norway we were actually encouraged to not only follow the news since it was important to know about world situations, but also to check out a variety of sources. Even teachers in school told us this over and over again. I still can remember them droning on and on about "World news are important! But always be critical of what you read! And always consider the reasons why they might write it the way they do!"
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

yeah we all know what Al Jazeera broadcasts. actually none of us do. We rely on other people - and their motivations - to tell us what Al Jazeera broadcasts.

Incidentally, 300,000 homes in the US receive Al Jazeera. I'm guessing NONE of the people who posted on this thread are in that number. I get it on my desk, but i dont speak any arabic beyond "salam alikum (sp.)", so it doesnt make a damn bit of sense to me.

I do like how the crawl goes the "other" way on the ARabic news broadcasts.

Al Jazeera is the only major news operation in the Middle East that is not state run. So say what you will about it, but it is an independent business entity.

Additionally, it is probably the first one to continue to exist after it has aired editorials/stories that questioned regional political practices.

That may not seem like a big deal to us, but it is a big step for the region.

As for METN, i think it is an extremely stupid idea. The people in the middle east are not stupid and they will not watch the mouthpiece of the United States.
Last edited by Voronwë on April 7, 2003, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Brotha is probably trying to roleplay a fucking retard.
Nobody is really that stupid.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Why not just install a Canadian news station in the area. We're as unbiased as it gets.
Salis
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Salis »

miir wrote:Brotha is probably trying to roleplay a fucking retard.
Look where he lives though!
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Salis wrote:
miir wrote:Brotha is probably trying to roleplay a fucking retard.
Look where he lives though!

And you live in Glasgow. Point?
Salis
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Salis »

Well if I posted anything from the Sheepfuckers weekly it'd be a good read!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Lubbock is a little hick town in the middle of nowhere.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Is that Lubbock or Baghdad?
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

You guys ever been there?

Its not a bad town. OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of fun when school is in
Salis
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Salis »

Cow tipping?
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Salis wrote:Cow tipping?
Sheep Buggering?
Salis
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Salis »

Ooo 5 posts after it was mentioned, pretty quick thinking there!
Crav
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Crav »

Sheepfuckers weekly, isn't that the Texas A&M student newspaper? Oh and Lubbock is a pretty small town, we were going to a jazz festival in high school and our driver almost missed it after passing the correct exit.
Crav Veladorn
Darkblade of Tunare

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
- Albert Einstein
Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Brotha »

Another pointless post by Miir with nothing but a personal insult, I'm glad there are some things in life that you can depend on.

You're not funny or witty. You don't come across as knowledgable. You do come across as blindly hating the US and Bush and being largely ignorant of opposing arguments. Using things such as posting dictionary definitions and including a bland, monotonous personal insult in almost every post just illustrates this. If you're trying to be the typical board troll who shamelessly tries to illicit laughs by how ridiculous he sounds (see Searyx), congratulations, you've accomplished it. However, if in your warped mind you think of yourself differently, you may want to reconsider the way in which you present your arguments.

Why am I telling you this? Because im a compassionate conservative! I'm part of a country that is liberating millions in Iraq, so I might as well do my part and liberate a mis guided Canadian who is being oppressed by his own idiotic views. You may thank me at a later date.

Back to the original debate:

Is Al Jazeera less biased than state ran government news agencies in the Middle East? Yes, I'll concede that.

Does Al Jazeera have an anti-american bias that is plain to see? Yes.

I've never actually watched Al Jazeera (I can't read or understand Arabic), but I've read the sorts of things it has been reporting and analysis of the way it reports them. If you want to argue that us throwing more biased propoganda at the middle east is a bad thing, then that's certainly a valid argument. I apologize for jumping to conclusions that you were implying that Al Jazeera was unbiased.

EDIT: Lubbock is basically a college town, I like it OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS better than Houston. Lubbock > all of Canada.
Salis
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Salis »

Brotha wrote:You're not funny or witty. You don't come across as knowledgable. You do come across as blindly hating the US and Bush and being largely ignorant of opposing arguments.
And you post these?

http://www.nationalreview.com/goldberg/ ... 040403.asp

http://www.nationalreview.com/hanson/hanson040403.asp
Last edited by Salis on April 7, 2003, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Lubbock > all of Canada.
You've never been out of Texas, have you?

Brotha, I just antagonize you so that you'll make yourself look like an even bigger retard. You succeeded on that last post.
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Salis wrote:Ooo 5 posts after it was mentioned, pretty quick thinking there!

Why dont you lift your Kilt and bend over you Cockless Twit.
Salis
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Salis »

Calm down with the manlove lines, you'll get Brotha excited!!
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Salis wrote:Calm down with the manlove lines, you'll get Brotha excited!!

HeHe
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Where the FUCK is Ted Turner? We have CCNI, I think we just need CCN-A. If there Gov. runs it no Arab in his right mind will give a rat's ass about it. Voronwe, maybe you could bring this up as a brainchild at work?

Marb
Crav
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Crav »

You know I pretty much disagree with everything Brotha has ever posted, but I do agree Texas > Canada! Hell Austin > Canada, but that's another argument :wink:.
Crav Veladorn
Darkblade of Tunare

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
- Albert Einstein
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I re-read Brothas last post and I think he needs more help in making himself look like an idiot.

Another pointless post by Miir with nothing but a personal insult

My point was concise.
I wanted to get you riled up so you would post some more stupid shit for us to laugh at.

You're not funny or witty

Some of my posts are quite funny (or so I've been told).
You probably just don't understand my scathing wit... you don't exactly have a reputation for being the sharpest knife in the drawer.

You don't come across as knowledgable

I guess I'd have to post some extremist conservative editorials and talk about how much <3 I have for Rush Limbaugh for you to consider me knowledgable.

Using things such as posting dictionary definitions

When was the last time I posted a dictionary definition?
I believe it was over 2 weeks ago when some redneck conservative was repeatedly misusing a common word.

a bland, monotonous personal insult in almost every post

Although my insults are not excessively creative, calling them bland and monotonous is quite an exaggeration.
You should have specified that almost all of my posts directed at you are insults. I can't help that, you are such an easy target. This is VV, we pick on the 'special' kids here...

If you're trying to be the typical board troll who shamelessly tries to illicit laughs by how ridiculous he sounds (see Searyx)

You obviously don't know the difference between a troll, a flamer and an idiot.

However, if in your warped mind you think of yourself differently, you may want to reconsider the way in which you present your arguments

I'm just a joker who likes arguing with rednecks and having a few laughs at the expense of others (and sometimes myself) on this forum.

I'm part of a country that is liberating millions in Iraq

Liberating millions of Iraqis, killing thousands of Iraqis or killing hundreds of Americans?

so I might as well do my part and liberate a mis guided Canadian who is being oppressed by his own idiotic views.

You have an extremely narrow world view.
You are very ignorant.
The world does not revolve around the USA.

With every post, you make yourself look a bigger fool.

But I am still curious, have you ever spent any time outside of texas?
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Miir,

I think you were wrong with one of your statements...

At least according to Wolfawitz the world does revolve around the United States, at least in the Post-Cold War era.

I'm not saying that is correct, I'm just saying that is what is really behind all of this. According to the "Hawks" it's our job to make sure no one gets too big of a stick :)

Marb
Salis
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Salis »

The world does revolve around the U.S., at least in a military and economic sense. I just think a little magnanimity would be helpful, and it's been kind of missing in OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of these posts. At the end of the day it does your cause a lot of good.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Marbus wrote:Where the FUCK is Ted Turner? We have CCNI, I think we just need CCN-A. If there Gov. runs it no Arab in his right mind will give a rat's ass about it. Voronwe, maybe you could bring this up as a brainchild at work?

Marb
Best i could do on short notice
Neroon
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Neroon »

The fact that this is a recommendation from the Committee of the US Broadcasting Board of Governors, chaired by Norman Pattiz, founder and owner of Westwood One, who will likely get the contract, means nothing :roll:

If he thinks this is such a great idea, why doesn't he pay for it? Owning the biggest radio network in the country must not pay very well. Our taxes are probably paying for his Radio Sawa thing over there, too. I'm sure that's a non-profit deal....

Do a Google search on this gem :wink:
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Cartalas wrote:You guys ever been there?

The whole town smells like a slaughterhouse if the wind blows the right way... it's vile, yes I have been there.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:
Cartalas wrote:You guys ever been there?

The whole town smells like a slaughterhouse if the wind blows the right way... it's vile, yes I have been there.

And there is something wrong with a Meat Market :wink:
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Voronwe, lol, guess I need to do more research...
Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Brotha »

miir wrote:But I am still curious, have you ever spent any time outside of texas?
I'm not going to get into pointless back and forth flaming (IE analyzing every line you said), but to answer your question, yes I have. I don't travel OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS but I've been to many parts of Europe, mainly England, France, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, as well as many other states in the U.S. and been to Mexico. What was the point of that question?
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Brotha wrote:What was the point of that question?
because you project the image of a typical self-important yankee retard sounding off about other countries and cultures when in reality you haven't strayed much farther than 5-10 miles from the trailer park you live in.
Kargyle
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kargyle »

I don't pretend to agree with Brotha's opinions, but as a fellow Texan, I must say that calling him a yankee is hitting below the belt, and just cruel.

And yes, I'm well aware that the British (and probably Canadians as well) call all Americans yanks. :)