Battlefield 3 (Xbox 360)

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Battlefield 3 (Xbox 360)

Post by Leonaerd »

Good GOD is this game fun. Come join my squad! We'll cap all them flags.

Gamertag: Ubuntude
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Battlefield 3 (Xbox 360)

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I'll get to this soon, I promise!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Unless you plan on playing (the stellar) multi-player, you should skip it...
Single player campaign is usually crap in DICE games. The campaign in BC2 was so terrible that I couldn't force myself to complete it.

At least in Call of Duty games, they put some effort into the single player campaign.
That being said, multiplayer in DICE games blows away anything COD
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

The campaign in this one is much better than older Battlefield games, but probably not as good as those in CoD (haven't played).

That said, multiplayer is where it's at. No point in getting the game if you aren't planning on being a multiplayer hound.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

They made an effort to improve single player in Battlefield 3 so it might be worth at least trying.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I like a good SP game but BF3 is pretty crappy in that regard. I found there were a lot of cheap deaths and so far of the missions I've played 75% of them were in the dark and I couldn't see shit. I rage quit and popped out the disc. I'll probably get back to it eventually after I finish a few other games.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Did the previous Battlefield games even have single player? Referring to bf1942, bf2, bf2142, etc. Not the Bad Crapany franchise.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I remember BF2's single player was basically used as a way to explore the multiplayer maps. They had (terrible) AI bots included but I would just use the mode to learn a map before diving into multiplayer.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Full install on 360 is 13 GB. Install 2 discs, 156MB patch, install HD textures, input code for online pass, register for gun club on PC, download pistol from xbl... what a bunch of fucking bullshit to get through before I can even play the game.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

:vv_skunk:
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I just finished the jet mission in single player. Within the first 10 minutes of the game I walked into an "out of bounds" area, twice. I also ran straight to an area where enemies chain spawned behind me, jumped down a wall and landed in front of me where I proceeded to empty 300+ rounds killing a never ending supply of bad guys before I opted to finish the scripted event and move on. Then there was the sniper on the rooftop where you have to wait for a scripted event before you can proceed. It took me 4 tries to realize it was all scripted. Annoying! My opinion is that the single player is a little rough around the edges but enjoyable none the less. Too bad, because the graphics and sound design are out fucking standing.

I fired up multiplayer and jumped into a take and hold game already in progress. I spawned with a squad on an objective just as a motherfucking jet crashed on top of us and killed us all. Yup, it's a Battlefield game alright! I played 2 maps and logged off for the night. During my initial 2 maps, I cannot help but wonder how this is different that Battlefield Bad Company 2's multiplayer? It looks the same, plays the same, and looks like it has all the same modes/guns/vehicles for the most part. Is EA just going to release the same game every year with tweeks, ala CoD? I'm not complaining. I like BF game play. It's just a stark reminder of how little I played BFBC 2's multiplayer and I felt a pang of guilt playing BF3! Hell, I have the Vietnam expansion to boot!

So far it's been enjoyable, but not worth 15.5 GB of my HD space! (I was off by 2.5 GB above!) I'll beat the single player and uninstall as much as I can while keeping the multiplayer installed.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Don't think I'll try this. Against my better judgement I'm going to get CoD, but only because a ton of my friends play it exclusively. That's really the only thing that gets me into an online shooter. I honestly haven't seen anyone on my friends list playing this yet.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Y'all are missing out on the triumphant feeling that comes with being a part of a killer squad and systematically conquering the opposition. CoD can't offer a fraction of that immersion.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I beg to differ, you can get that with a good squad in almost any fo's. To each their own, though.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

There are so many differences between BF and CoD that they're hardly worth comparing. For what it's worth, I prefer CoD because of the shorter match time, insta spawn after death, and the "drop in and out" play style. I also like a constant rotation of maps. In BF, my match lasted 20 minutes, then we switched sides on the same map. I also do not like waiting between deaths and have grown to like the kill cam in CoD. For longer, more involved team based games, I prefer BF with it's larger maps and vehicles.

Both games have their place and I do not think the multiplayer is inherently better from one to the other. It's all about player preference. As a lover of video games, I'm glad each game gives me option for something different.

Also, I've had countless awesome experiences in CoD, so I disagree with your opinion that squad tactics and satisfaction are confined strictly to Battlefield multiplayer!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Double post! The forums are acting all sorts of crazy right now!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand trailer! Will be available in December.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiyXffnyZpI

4 new maps (Gulf of Oman, Sharqi Peninsula, Strike at Karkand, and Wake Island) - Integrates with vanilla map rotation, 7 capture points confirmed!
10 new weapons (MP5, PP-19, L96A1, L85, FAMAS, Type 88, Jackhammer, MG36, Type 95, Type 97)
3 new vehicles
Return of Conquest Assault mode
Enhanced destruction
Extended persistence (?)
December release (PS3 owners get B2K a week early)
FREE for Battlefield LE owners; $15 otherwise

Conquest Assault (wikipedia):
One team is specified as the attacker (pre-determined, depending on the map). The attacking team starts out with an uncaptureable base and 10% more tickets than the defending team, which holds all or most of the captureable control points on the map at the beginning of the round. Ticket bleed is inflicted when one team holds all the captureable control points, so the attacking team usually starts with ticket bleed at the round's start and must neutralize at least one flag to stop it.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

So if you buy used you're already up to $25 if you add in the online pass plus $20-$30 for the game so no real reason to buy something like that used. I can't say I disagree with companies trying to make money but I sort of miss days of old where when you bought a game it had all the content the developers intended, could fit, or had time for at the time it was published. Now I think a lot of games try and see what they can omit and include as DLC that people have to buy just to get something they previously would have gotten at no additional charge.

This applies to just about any game released today not a specific rant about BF3.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The single player has went from "not bad at all" to "pretty bad". The game has moments of greatness, but holy shit it's a mixed bag overall. Twice I've been pinned against a wall by an NPC and had to restart. The respawning clone enemies are the worst I have seen since CoD2. Great graphics and some cool sequences, but I'm looking forward to the end at this point (which should be soon!).

On the plus side, the multiplayer is really fun. I'm total shit at it, but I like to blame that on the fact that everyone else seems to have awesome guns and load outs while I'm still using the starters for each class. I'm still hopping around a lot trying to figure out what I like best. Hanging around a remote flag while spotting enemies in the distance, taking pot shots, and defending my flag as needed has worked out pretty well so far. When I get in the thick of things, I die pretty fast. I wish BF3 had a bot mode to mess around with and learn the maps and vehicles.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I just finished the single player. Fair at best. Pretty damn buggy from start to finish.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

If you bought the PS3 version you get a free copy of Battlefield 1943 (as originally promised).

http://kotaku.com/5862446/ea-smartens-u ... field-1943

--
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

I love it when a plan comes together!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOaGhE_sejI
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

After several months, my friends convinced me to buy this. I've played a handful of times now and I can say that the people playing this on Xbox live are the most pathetic, cowardly sacks of shit I've ever encountered in a fps game. CoD is better than this on its worst day, and thats saying a lot coming from me considering I've grown to hate CoD.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I'm curious as to what's going on? Snipers?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Almost every game I've played has consisted almost entirely of snipers. On top of that they seem to be able to see and snipe through brush and buildings.

Also, the difference between upgraded weapons and what you start with is absurd. I'll start burst shooting someone in the back, get like 3 bursts into center mass and they'll turn around and take me out in like 2 shots. In cod, you get a bit of an edge with upgraded weapons but it's nothing like this game. I was in a game where a sniper went 25/1 and didn't move the entire game. We couldn't get to him to kill him cause of where he parachuted down to. I've never seen anything remotely like that in any other shooter.

Sniping is way to effective in this game, which is really annoying to me, because I detest sniping in any form in shooters.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

bah, board ate long post....

been playing the PC version and really liking it. The only real complaint I have is the split they created between what has to be done inside of the game or in your browser. Annoying to go through my unlock/achievement info to see something I might want to add to a kit/gun/vehicle, only to have to join a game in order to actually add that item.

Multiplayer has been pretty flawless for me, and I really prefer squad play. The rewards for doing things for/with the squad when you have a squad leader setting up targets is very cool.

Singleplayer was much better than anything I can remember from the Battlefield franchise, and I kind of want to check out the co-op missions...even if it is just for the added unlocks :P