Singularity

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Singularity

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Russians were experimenting with a new element (E99) on a small island just after WW2 when all of a sudden, the project goes awry and all evidence of it's existence was buried. Flash forward to 2010 and the island is suddenly sending out amazing amounts of radiation. This freaks the US out because the Russians aren't offering up any information. Fearing it's another Chernobyl, the US sends in a military scout team to get the real deal. Shit happens, you end up separated from your team and you slowly start to unravel the secrets of the island and the E99 project.

I bought this for 10$. It is sooooooooooo much better than I could've hoped. The game is a cross between Bioshock and FEAR. While playing, you flash backwards in time, do stuff, and then you flash back to the present where your changes have affected modern times. It's all heavily scripted, but very well done and enjoyable. I'm a little over an hour in and I've basically been reading notes, listening to old recordings, and watching the occasional film within the game. It's setting things up very well. I've seen some skin crawling things so far, and had 1 decent scare. Huge props to whomever designed the guns. They are heavy and powerful. It's a highly scripted, linear, corridor-type FPS game. However, graphics, sound, and story are blending together in such a way that I can happily recommend this game (especially if you enjoyed Bioshock and FEAR!).

Raven made this game. They also made Wolfenstein (another game which I feel was underrated), the Wolverine game from last year, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I have enjoyed every game they have made this generation and I am looking forward to whatever they do in the future.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: Singularity

Post by miir »

LOL, I picked this up yesterday for $15 and I'm shocked at how excellent it is.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I played for about 2 hours and didn't unlock a single achievement :-x
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Yea, Im also about 2-3 hours in and I think I unlocked just one trophy.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The game uses a lot of elements from Wolfenstien. I'm not complaining, just observing. The slowing of time with the sniper rifle is easy mode. Hell, I'm playing on normal and so far the entire game has been baby time frolics in terms of difficulty.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I got to the Time Minipulation Device (TMD) today. The game has been elevated from "surprisingly good" to "I think I love this game". This item allows you to manipulate time on anything made with the E99 substance. You have to use it to rebuild stairs, crates, power switches, ect. You can either turn back time or accelerate it to ruin something. After an upgrade, you can also use it to manipulate objects and slow down creatures. This has lead to some surprisingly well done puzzels so far. You also get to use it to open portals back in time where you take a much more actvice role in changing the future. The story is getting more and more complex as the time element is becoming a prominent feature in the game. Also, if you choose to use the TMD for a weapon, it really fucks shit up. As in, crushes a group of soldiers into a bloody pulp and hurls them across the room at Mach 10. Very satisfying indeed. There is also an interesting upgrade system for both guns and your character that include some things off the beaten path.

The game is still easy as he'll though, not that I am complaining, but others may wish to bump it up a notch. I feel like I'm playing on easy but it's normal.

I'll try and make this my last reference to Wolfenstein, but goddamn this game is cut from the same cloth. The weapons are just as fun and powerful, the gore is just as prevalent, and the flow of the game is nearly identical. If you like Singularity, pick up Wolfenstein.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Dammit, I made a vow to finish Vanquish before I got into any other game and you're totally making me want to play this now!

Bastardo!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Looks like we'll be swapping games then because I planned on playing Vanquish next. FYI, I hear Singularity is 7-8ish hours for normal play through. I think I'm around the 3 hour mark or so and I can't wait to get home tonight and put more time into it.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Finished my first "boss" fight and picked up another great TMD power. Lots of interesting ways of going about killing in this game, that's for sure! I acually died 2-3 times in one spot (the ticks, you'll die too, it's a given), which is the only deaths so far in the whole game.

I just cannot seem to get any alone time lately. This week has been a total wash as far as making progress on any of the games I was looking forward to playing.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I hit a rather frustrating battle today. It was a boss fight. I didn't know what the hell the game wanted me to do for the final phase. So, I would repeat the level over and over just to get to the boss, try something different, die, and repeat over and over.

Still love it though!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Finished the game. It's 7-8 hours long.

My only real complaint is how easy it was and also some events weren't explained well. Oh yeah, no subtitles either :(

The ending(s) were all great. Once you complete it, you can immediately replay the last scene to see the other endings and you even get gamerscore for each one (30ea, 90 GS total, just for the 3 different endings).

I'd give it an 8.5/10

The timeline stuff was exceptionally well done IMO. One of the endings was just amazing. This could've been a movie.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Based on a hunch (OK, it was this thread) I tried out singularity.

The look and visuals of the game have been great so far. The controls and abilities/weapon choices for the main character are solid.

I disagree on the voice acting and lines they say as being excellent though. I'm barely into it and have heard a ton of cliches stolen from other movies or even real world events. While not horrible, the voice acting is just enough to not distract.

I'm also not clear on why they U.S. can't blow this death ray thing out of the sky. There are an ass ton of ships firing on it. I'm guessing later in the story there will be some sort of mega force field surrounding this object that needs to be disabled from the inside.

It's been fun so far.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

No one in this thread ever said anything about the voice acting being excellent or otherwise! I will echo that complaint, especially when fighting Russian soldiers. They have, like 5 phrases in their vocabulary and repeat them over and over. Still, this is really nit-picking an otherwise excellent game.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Winnow wrote:Based on a hunch (OK, it was this thread) I tried out singularity.

The look and visuals of the game have been great so far. The controls and abilities/weapon choices for the main character are solid.

I disagree on the voice acting and lines they say as being excellent though. I'm barely into it and have heard a ton of cliches stolen from other movies or even real world events. While not horrible, the voice acting is just enough to not distract.

I'm also not clear on why they U.S. can't blow this death ray thing out of the sky. There are an ass ton of ships firing on it. I'm guessing later in the story there will be some sort of mega force field surrounding this object that needs to be disabled from the inside.

It's been fun so far.
This was meant for the Vanquish thread : ) I haven't played Singularity. Oops!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Picked this up today for 10$ at GameStop. Looking forward to playing it