iPad on our wireless network

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

iPad on our wireless network

Post by Bubba Grizz »

A few people in my company have asked about setting up their iPad on our guest wireless system. I haven't been able to figure out how to get them connected. Granted I didn't put forth much effort as we don't support iPads.

What information do you need to know from me before you can contemplate a plan that won't jepordize our security?
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Re: iPad on our wireless network

Post by Soreali »

Do your WAPs broadcast? What kind of security do you use for guest accounts? Do they have the same security settings as your non-guest accounts?

My company actually requires guest AD accounts created and when the user connects to our non-broadcasting guest network they get routed to our authentication page where they put the username/password.
Timmah.

Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

If this were a normal XP machine we'd have them do wpa-psk with tkip. I don't believe we broadcast the ssid either.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I know squat about iPads but does company policy allow employees to connect personal devices to the LAN? Whether they're on the guest network or not the company still has the same concerns\issues, liability, etc...
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The Ipad is a toy. It's harmless. Let them in!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:The Ipad is a toy. It's harmless. Let them in!
It's just a harmless little bunny innit!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

We have our guest wireless seperate from the domain. We won't allow guests on the domain. So when clients come to our offices they can have internet access so they can get their email and such. I believe they also are allowed to vpn out as well but only over port 80 (internet). If they need printing they are SoL unless one of our people are there to do it for them.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Why so much security for a sausage and cheese factory? :)
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Winnow wrote:Why so much security for a sausage and cheese factory? :)
Secret recipes, customizations for clients, and bulk orders for personal use.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Bubba Grizz wrote:We have our guest wireless seperate from the domain. We won't allow guests on the domain. So when clients come to our offices they can have internet access so they can get their email and such. I believe they also are allowed to vpn out as well but only over port 80 (internet). If they need printing they are SoL unless one of our people are there to do it for them.
Pretty much exactly what my company does.. only way they get authentication is to have an account created that can access the guest network after they go through our authentication page. How do your guests connect on a windows machine? just setup the WAP and go?
Timmah.

Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Bubba....PM me your email and I will mail you a doc that is a sample for how we connect those pieces of shit to our wireless. Might give you some ideas and insight.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Within the next four years, the typical school in the United States may have more iPads than computers available to its students. That's according to the findings of a new survey that polled a slate of technology directors in just over two dozen U.S. school districts. At present, each of the districts is already testing the iPad in action within the educational infrastructure.

News of the report comes from prominent iDevice-watcher and market analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray, who was quick to point out that none of the school districts contributing to the poll were similarly testing Android-powered tablets. As far as the schools in question are concerned, Apple is the only tablet maker that seems to matter.
The way things are going, all companies will have better support for iPads soon! The kids coming out of school, growing up on iPads will demand it.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:
Within the next four years, the typical school in the United States may have more iPads than computers available to its students. That's according to the findings of a new survey that polled a slate of technology directors in just over two dozen U.S. school districts. At present, each of the districts is already testing the iPad in action within the educational infrastructure.

News of the report comes from prominent iDevice-watcher and market analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray, who was quick to point out that none of the school districts contributing to the poll were similarly testing Android-powered tablets. As far as the schools in question are concerned, Apple is the only tablet maker that seems to matter.
The way things are going, all companies will have better support for iPads soon! The kids coming out of school, growing up on iPads will demand it.
Yeah, just like all the kids coming out of schools dominated by Apple ][ PCs demanded their employers throw out the mainframes and IBM PCs back in the 80s.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:
Yeah, just like all the kids coming out of schools dominated by Apple ][ PCs demanded their employers throw out the mainframes and IBM PCs back in the 80s.

There's room for both. They won't be competing for the same hardcore functions as PCs.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote:
Zaelath wrote:
There's room for both. They won't be competing for the same hardcore functions as PCs.
There's room for a stripper pole too, but I don't think that's the point.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Winnow wrote:

If you think thats a problem, you should meet politicians who get gadget envy when they are at a meeting where someone else has an ipad :) Result of that = 44 politicians who claim they need it for meeting notes, on a system that dont work yet, so they now got an ipad each, that can do nothing work related, and they dont even know how to use it :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Hesten wrote:... gadget envy when they are at a meeting where someone else has an ipad :) Result of that = 44 politicians who claim they need it for meeting notes, on a system that dont work yet, so they now got an ipad each, that can do nothing work related, and they dont even know how to use it :)
I really like my tablet but don't see the utility\productivity gain from it in an office environment. Except perhaps to make meetings even more useless since everyone will sit there watching cats on YouTube instead of participating.

I understand the intent and it does make some sense. Having seen the reality it just doesn't work out how people intend.

Plus you've got "experts" who'll have yet another path to bridge their plague infested home systems onto the corporate network.

*Edit - Today I could do the bulk of my work on a tablet or netbook with a keyboard & monitor attached, I'd still need a "real" system for customer demos & presentations.
Last edited by Aabidano on November 2, 2011, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

We have a 200 user 'pilot' for the ipad.
They have to use their own device, it's not allowed on our network and we use the Good client for email.
We get inquiries on how to open/edit/manipulate documents on the ipad and we just tell them to just use the laptop sitting in front of them.

It's hilarious watching these guys try to do anything productive (outside of email) on their tablets.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I wouldnt' use my iPad for anything work related either except for using reference materials, guides, viewing presentations, things like that.

I can see it being useful for simple form entry, also scanning, bar codes, etc (iPad 2 or later), inventory crap, etc.

It's primarily s consumption device but there are a few data entry tasks it could excel at.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

The iPad is amazing for medical coding! Lots and lots of apps out there for the device. The anatomy and coding references cannot be beat by anything else. It's not even a contest!

An iPad is not ideal if you're going to hack the Gibson or something, but it sure is amazing for my job!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Also good for pilots I hear.. but not connecting to any network, just as a consumption device for tech manuals they never read. It does save them dragging those massive bags of manuals around though.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

We finally allowed iPads on our Guest Wireless network. Also we allow them to access our exhange server just like it was a smart phone. They have no access to our data though. Even our CEO wanted to vpn with his ipad so he could so some work. We shot him down on that.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Why did you not allow VPN access for his ipad?
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Same reason you don't eat food you find in the street.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

We had some clown who was connecting to VPN via Citrix and RDPing into his laptop with his ipad.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Market research firm Asymco estimates Apple could sell 280 million iDevices in 2012.

This estimate would more than double Apple’s actual iDevice sales for the entire fiscal 2011 year. Apple sold from October 2010 to September 2011 (not fiscal 2011)72 million iPhones, 32 million iPads, 42.6 million iPods for a grand total of 146.6 million, all of them running iOS except for the non-touch iPods.
Get used to iDevices!

The highest market cap company in the world (sometimes, competing with Exxon), might DOUBLE their output from the previous year. Not bad...not bad.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:We had some clown who was connecting to VPN via Citrix and RDPing into his laptop with his ipad.
How does this make him a clown?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
miir wrote:We had some clown who was connecting to VPN via Citrix and RDPing into his laptop with his ipad.
How does this make him a clown?
Why don't you try it and let me know how it works out.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Not to mention he has a x220 which weighs in at under 3lbs...
Watching him struggle to use Bloomberg, Fidessa and Excel was excruciating.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

According to the not-so-surprising findings of a new IDG Connect study, Apple's iPad is dramatically impacting the ways in which people use technology in the enterprise sector.

Analogous to how BlackBerry ultimately took a backseat to the iPhone as a leading smartphone for business professionals, a growing number of Americans are chucking their laptops and using the iPad almost exclusively in the enterprise sector.

IDG finds that 12% of the participating workers in the survey indicate that the iPad has completely replaced their laptop, with another 54% admitting that the iPad has at least partially replaced their laptop.

"If a majority of professionals still use laptops, the iPad has certainly curtailed usage levels," the report asserts. "Nearly three-quarters of respondents say that they 'carry their laptop around less' now that they own an iPad."

Perhaps the most telling find of the study is that 9 in 10 iPad owners use their tablets at work.
I was really impressed with the Online streaming gaming which is coming to iPad.

Onlive has Microsoft Office available on the iPad:

http://youtu.be/ql6VayueUjY?hd=1

It's free:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/onlive-d ... 92278?mt=8

Kinda nice to have cloud based free instant access to MS Office Apps. I know it's not going to completely replace the physical keyboard and mouse atm, but this stuff rocks and is improving fast. Onlive gaming is the real deal. All you need is an Xbox type controller and you're playing Skyrim, etc on your iPad.

Edit:

I just installed Onlive desktop. It took about 10 seconds to download. I already had Onlive account (free) from checking out the Onlive service earlier. I had Office up and running within about 30 second of selecting "install". (4.8mb)

Online is pretty amazing stuff. You get 2GB of free cloud storage as well.

I Created a Powerpoint Slide that said "miir sucks!" with a fly in text animation and new background.

Saved it and retrieved it via the web site. Nice and easy.

http://desktop.onlive.com/

Uploaded an image to use in the powerpoint.

Pretty cool. You can access files via web browser on iPad but doesn't look like you can upload them from iPad which kinda sucks. That's a pretty big issue since if you're working from your iPad you're going to want to grab stuff on the net and use it in your documents. They're working on that though.

Onlive is doing some impressive stuff. Their streaming gaming is awesome.

Splashtop, another company which has a great Remote Desktop app is working on a streaming app so you can have your main PC do all the hard work and then stream it to your iPad/Android, etc. Grab a wireless controller and you've got your gaming experience while sitting on the can or lying in bed at home or in a hotel.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Dude.. we get that you like the iPad but can you keep it in one thread instead of systematically derailing every thread with iLove..
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:Dude.. we get that you like the iPad but can you keep it in one thread instead of systematically derailing every thread with iLove..
Thread seemed appropriate. I picked it specifically for a work app. I actually do pay attention to where I post things.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Zaelath wrote:Also good for pilots I hear.. but not connecting to any network, just as a consumption device for tech manuals they never read. It does save them dragging those massive bags of manuals around though.
We were talking about this at work, what advantage is there to an iPad or tablet in general for this sort of thing over an e-ink device? Having used the wifes' Simple Touch a bit, for reading it spanks LCD-type screens at a fraction of the cost. For manuals and documentation-type stuff they would seem to be ideal, just pop in an SD card for the class of plane you're getting on (or whatever it is they do in that regard).

Plus you won't have pilots crashing from playing Angry Birds.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Watched the Apple presentation on iBooks 2 for Textbooks and also the new iBook Author app:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/1 ... index.html

Pretty cool. It's about an hour long. If you want to just see the new iBook creator software, jump to 22:30.

It looks incredibly easy to create an interactive book. This should be nice for non textbooks as well.

iTunes U App is also worth checking out around the 49:00 mark.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I bought "The Magic of Reality" for my iPad and it has all sorts of interactive applications within it. It immediately made my paper copy obsolete. /shrug Lesson learned. It was cheaper too.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/19/27200 ... kstore-drm
Apple's End User License Agreement stipulates that books created with the tool can only be sold through Apple's iBookstore. As with other content sold through Apple's store, the company takes a 30 percent cut of all sales
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/19/27200 ... kstore-drm
Apple's End User License Agreement stipulates that books created with the tool can only be sold through Apple's iBookstore. As with other content sold through Apple's store, the company takes a 30 percent cut of all sales

Apple takes 30% of everything. That's nothing new.

I think the new textbook and creator are well done. iTunes U is as well now that they also opened it up to K-12.

Apple is a smart company. They know how to get into the education system. iPad was already the best choice for almost anything when it comes to tablets but this pretty much seals up a shitload of education sales for Apple. In the presentation I linked above, iPad is the #1 desired product for teenagers. It's an easy sell to get them to push for it as the method of accessing their school texts.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:Apple takes 30% of everything. That's nothing new.
It's still predatory. As is their general WalMart-esque business model. Good for Apple but will drag everyone around not large enough to fight it down.
Apple is a smart company. They know how to get into the education system. iPad was already the best choice for almost anything when it comes to tablets but this pretty much seals up a shitload of education sales for Apple.
Not much argument there, the value proposition for the iPad in this scenario is very tenuous. "Best" is not always best.

Education is a nearly captive market that's trapped itself into a high margin product line largely due to outstanding long term marketing on Apple's part + a customer that really doesn't know any better and doesn't have to show a profit. In the long haul that $15 Indian device would make more sense, assuming the customer pushed it right. Their whole ecosystem (except Apple of course) would benefit.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It is kinda funny they say "cheaper" textbooks.

14.99 and under is great but it's really $500 +14.99 and under.

Hopefully the lowest iPad model drops in price to around ~250.00 within a year or so.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Suspect they're taking iPad ownership as a given :roll:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:Suspect they're taking iPad ownership as a given :roll:
You can suspect that, but every student doesn't have an iPad. If they want to make the textbooks exclusive to the ipad, they need to introduce a program for schools to get them into student hands as part of the program.

One issue is that schools make a killing (if I read correctly) off expensive textbooks so this would stop a revenue stream for them.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The main advantage of textbooks is that the pages don't shatter when you drop them,
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:The main advantage of textbooks is that the pages don't shatter when you drop them,
Well that's kind of a lame reason but even with iPad's great battery life, if students start depending on electronic devices in the class room, having batteries run out during class could be an issue if someone forgot to charge, etc.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I haven't heard of it but I'm sure there's a way the little snot slingers will trash them, fill them up with crap, whatever.

When I was teaching a security course a while back we kept pre-imaged drives in the podium for when the students did something irretrievable to themselves or others. Schools need to be prepared with similar if they run with a general purpose device.

My daughter can destroy any computing device, no malice intended. Son built her a locked down linux box and a couple months later it was a zombie.