Personal privacy

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Personal privacy

Post by Aabidano »

Making another as not to bugger up the facebook thread.
So you don't really care that your personal information is being collected and possibly distributed without your knowledge and express consent?
For the US folks, your credit card transactions, prescription drug info, medical tests ordered (not results), the web sites you visit, searches you make, email content, along with essentially everything else you do in life is for sale to whoever can pay.

Some data is (theoretically) anonymized, though often poorly and unprofessionally. The rest is left up to the purchaser to "use responsibly". Catching someone using the data unethically is nearly impossible, as the whole area is largely unregulated outside of health care. The people who collect and store the information don't necessarily have the drive to protect the information they collect, they're unregulated so you're depending on their bean counters' cost\benefit analysis on how much to protect your personnel information.

Why don't you see this on the news? Great question without an answer that doesn't make you look like a member of of the tin foil hat 'o' the month club.

This area is a much larger concern to me than some govt entity might be monitoring some tiny percentage of phone communications, along with most of the other 'crisis of the week' items you see on the news.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Re: Personal privacy

Post by Fash »

It's interesting how some people are concerned, and others couldn't care less. The one major thing I don't like about Facebook/MySpace is the spread of personal information. I get friend requests and look for reasons to deny or ignore them. I get application requests and I've blocked almost every single one... but I've accepted at least one, and therefore I may as well accept all of them because for apparently no good reason, every application requires access to your personal information, photos, and friend lists. These people (including most acquaintances and old friends as well as applications) do not need to see every status update or picture I have, they do not need to know who I'm friends with, what my relationship status is, etc... What's worse is your friends uploading pictures and 'tagging' you, causing it to show up on your profile and all of your friends profiles. It disturbs me, even being careful about it, just how much someone can learn about you from a stupid social networking site. If I could go back and do it over, I wouldn't.

My girlfriend pretty much accepts every friend request and doesn't think privacy is important... I don't get it.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Personal privacy

Post by Winnow »

Facebook, MySPace & Twitter = All lame