Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Rutabagas!

Post by Aabidano »

Poor, much maligned vegetable :)

Rutabaga with Feta

1 Large Rutabaga (~5"), chopped into 1/2" chunks
1/2 cup crumbled feta (any cheese with a "bite" to it will work, feta and extra sharp cheddar are good)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup water

Place rutabaga in a covered casserole dish with 1/4 cup water, microwave on high for 12 minutes. Check consistency with fork, if not "mashable" cook for 5 more minutes and check again. It will start too look "wet" when it's done.

When rutabaga is done, add honey and mash until most big chunks are gone, them mix in cheese. You want be able to see lumps of feta in the casserole, it tastes better that way.

A rutabaga is a cross between a cabbage and a turnip, though why that would occur to anyone as something to do is beyond me.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Rutabagas!

Post by Lalanae »

I had rutabaga for the first time about a year ago in a recipe for caramelized root vegetables and really like it. I also had turnips and parsnips for the first time (as far as I know) with that dish.

Good dish to make to try some new things. It was heavenly to smell and to eat. Nice and sweet. Total comfort food. Made my house smell like winter.

Adapted from a recipe on Epicurious:

Caramelized root vegetables
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
2 medium rutabagas, peeled, cut into 1/3-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
2 medium turnips, peeled, cut into 1/3-inch cubes (about 2 1/2 cups)
2 large carrots, peeled, cut into 1/3-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
2 large parsnips, peeled, cut into 1/3-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
6 garlic cloves, minced

Melt butter with oil in very large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add rutabagas and next 3 ingredients; sauté until vegetables are caramelized and tender, stirring often, about 30 minutes. Stir in garlic. sauté 5 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Rutabagas!

Post by Lalanae »

Aabidano wrote:Poor, much maligned vegetable :)

Rutabaga with Feta

1 Large Rutabaga (~5"), chopped into 1/2" chunks
1/2 cup crumbled feta (any cheese with a "bite" to it will work, feta and extra sharp cheddar are good)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup water

Place rutabaga in a covered casserole dish with 1/4 cup water, microwave on high for 12 minutes. Check consistency with fork, if not "mashable" cook for 5 more minutes and check again. It will start too look "wet" when it's done.

When rutabaga is done, add honey and mash until most big chunks are gone, them mix in cheese. You want be able to see lumps of feta in the casserole, it tastes better that way.

A rutabaga is a cross between a cabbage and a turnip, though why that would occur to anyone as something to do is beyond me.
That sounds really good. I've been wanting to try rutabaga again, but they are relatively hard to find around here. When I do, I'll try this!
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)