Camel Signature Blends

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Camel Signature Blends

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

Ok so im a Camel man myself and was following the release of their 4 new signature blends.

Infused: Spiced up with a silky-smooth finish

Frost: Crisp and bright with finest Asian mint providing a crisp clean taste

Mellow: CAMEL’s classic blend of Turkish tobacco is accented with toasted honey, giving it a sweet and velvety smooth finish with a hint of cedar

Robust: Hearty and burly blended with delicate Turkish notes and a nutty, full finish

I have gotten my hands on Frost and Robust so far and neither have really been to my liking. Im smoke Camel Menthols and was hoping that frost would be more of a menthol kick, but instead you get a green mint taste.

Anyone else give these guys a try yet?
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Just say no to drugs.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

Aslanna wrote:Just say no to drugs.
At least i don't smoke Newports.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

All I have to say is that I hope "nutty full finish" is not your wording...
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

[Austin picks up a boiling pot, with a stool sample from Fat Bastard inside]
Austin: Basil, this coffee smells like shit.
Basil: It *is* shit, Austin.
Austin: Oh, good then it's not just me.
[Drinks]
Austin: [Smacks lips] It's a bit nutty.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

back when winston came out with their special blend cigs (can't remember the name but they had a silver plastic box) i started smoking those exclusively. They were awesome. Then they discontinued them and I bought up every carton around town.

Then i went back to winston light 100s.

:)
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

Stop smoking menthols and get yourself some real cigarettes.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

vn_Tanc wrote:Stop smoking menthols and get yourself some real cigarettes.
or just quit smoking completely!
Ennia
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ennia »

I can tell you there's nothing silky smooth in your char infused lungs, give your mouth a real minty flavor and chew on a mint leaf for a minute
Ennia Morricone
Everfrost
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Boogahz wrote:
vn_Tanc wrote:Stop smoking menthols and get yourself some real cigarettes.
or just quit smoking completely!
Well that's not very cool is it?

--
Knarlz
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Knarlz »

Toe : CAMEL’s classic blend of Turkish tobacco is accented with toasted honey, giving it a sweet and velvety smooth finish with a hint of fish.
Pride of nationality depends not on ignorance of other nations, but on ignorance of one's own.
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Mmm Tangy.

I quit smoking about two years ago after being a smoker for 17 years (yes I started when I was 13). It's going to take some time to reverse the damage that I did to myself, but, I feel better and I have more lung capacity. Food tastes a ton better as well. When I did smoke, it was Newport Lights. I tried the Camel Jades when they first came out and they were alright. Just the smell of someone smoking now makes me want to hurl and smack myself upside the head for ever being that fricking retarded.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Ennia wrote:I can tell you there's nothing silky smooth in your char infused lungs, give your mouth a real minty flavor and chew on a mint leaf for a minute
mint is such an awful weed. it's a real pain in the ass keeping it contained in my yard.
Just the smell of someone smoking now makes me want to hurl and smack myself upside the head for ever being that fricking retarded.
Every time I smell it now, I can't believe I ever did it. It's also sad waiting in line at a convenience store watching the cigarette purchasers ask as they are always either poor, young, or poor old. And ~$200 a month for these categories of folk is just plain sad
Last edited by Chidoro on May 24, 2007, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Chidoro wrote:
Ennia wrote:I can tell you there's nothing silky smooth in your char infused lungs, give your mouth a real minty flavor and chew on a mint leaf for a minute
mint is such an awful weed. it's a real pain in the ass keeping it contained in my yard.
Just the smell of someone smoking now makes me want to hurl and smack myself upside the head for ever being that fricking retarded.
Every time I smell it now, I can't believe I ever did it. It's also sad waiting in line at a convenience store watching the purchasers ask, they are always either poor, young, or poor old.
Start grazing in your yard. That will help keep the Mint under control :)

I am the same way in regards to the smell of smoke. I could smell it when I was still a smoker, but I had no idea how bad it actually was. Now I can understand those people who would complain after walking near a "smoking area" and smelling smoke.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I understand it about as much as I understand walking by a group of indians and complaining about the smell of curry. Just STFU and get on with your lives. You smoked, you liked it, you quit. Good for you. I smoke, I like it, leave me the fuck alone.

This morning a judge just threw out the bar/restaurant smoking ban in the city I work in... Score!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Fash wrote:I understand it about as much as I understand walking by a group of indians and complaining about the smell of curry. Just STFU and get on with your lives. You smoked, you liked it, you quit. Good for you. I smoke, I like it, leave me the fuck alone.

This morning a judge just threw out the bar/restaurant smoking ban in the city I work in... Score!
I never complain to the smokers. I just understand now that the smell is more intense than I noticed when I DID smoke. I also don't go around telling smokers that they should quit. I had a friend like that before, and she actually worked for the American Cancer Society. I don't think there was anything that made me want a smoke more than when she would start in on her lectures. :P
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I've never understood why smoking is the one habit that it's totally cool to be judgmental about. Everybody has bad habits. I think most smokers at this point understand that they're damaging their lungs, just like most fat people know that they're harming themselves by eating that extra piece of cake, most lazy people know that they're harming themselves by watching that extra hour of tv.........

I also don't really get the whole thing with complaining about the smell. I mean, go ahead and complain, that's fine, but don't expect me to take you any more seriously than someone complaining about all the fat people their poor eyes are exposed to. I understand that secondhand smoke can cause health problems. I'll feel some pity for you if you're a bartender or a cocktail waitress or something. I do not feel any pity for people that walk past a smoker on the sidewalk and then complain about what a menace to society he is and how their rights have been violated. Shut the fuck up.

Note that I'm not saying that anyone on this thread represents these views I'm criticizing (only you can know that).

Also, I'm not a smoker. I smoked fairly regularly for about two months in college, which I really don't think counts.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sueven wrote:I've never understood why smoking is the one habit that it's totally cool to be judgmental about. Everybody has bad habits. I think most smokers at this point understand that they're damaging their lungs, just like most fat people know that they're harming themselves by eating that extra piece of cake, most lazy people know that they're harming themselves by watching that extra hour of tv.........

I also don't really get the whole thing with complaining about the smell. I mean, go ahead and complain, that's fine, but don't expect me to take you any more seriously than someone complaining about all the fat people their poor eyes are exposed to. I understand that secondhand smoke can cause health problems. I'll feel some pity for you if you're a bartender or a cocktail waitress or something. I do not feel any pity for people that walk past a smoker on the sidewalk and then complain about what a menace to society he is and how their rights have been violated. Shut the fuck up.

Note that I'm not saying that anyone on this thread represents these views I'm criticizing (only you can know that).

Also, I'm not a smoker. I smoked fairly regularly for about two months in college, which I really don't think counts.
Smokers used to be highly annoying when they were allowed to smoke in public. It's one of the few habits that is both very annoying and unhealthy to people in the surrounding area.

If smokers stick to stinking up their own cars and homes, it's not so bad besides the added cost to the nation in health insurance.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Fash wrote:I understand it about as much as I understand walking by a group of indians and complaining about the smell of curry. Just STFU and get on with your lives. You smoked, you liked it, you quit. Good for you. I smoke, I like it, leave me the fuck alone.

Don't move to jersey. The diner capital of the world has no more smoking.

curry smell isn't even in the same discussion as cigarette smoke
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Ah. The ole smoking debate. Rehashed once again. I guess it's been two years why not

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... hp?t=13114
I've never understood why smoking is the one habit that it's totally cool to be judgmental about. Everybody has bad habits. I think most smokers at this point understand that they're damaging their lungs, just like most fat people know that they're harming themselves by eating that extra piece of cake, most lazy people know that they're harming themselves by watching that extra hour of tv.........
The big difference between smoing and those other things you mention is that it affects others besides the person with the habit. If people want to smoke in private hey, knock yourself out, I couldn't care less what you do because it doesn't affect me.

Your (the generic 'your') stinky smoke drifts over to my area when I'm out eating at a restaurant and you're damn right I'll be judgmental about it. I don't see why that's so difficult to comprehend.

--
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

I have no problem with you smoking at home, but I do have an issue with people smoking in bars and restaurants. The research into 2nd hand smoke is not iffy and I should be able to eat/drink anywhere without having to expose myself to it.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

I've been given up 2 years 4 months and 12 days. I really notice the smell of smokers now, like everyone else here.

The thing that stops me starting again isn't the smell though. Cigarettes still smell DELICIOUS to me. it's the money. It's more than $10US for 20 here. I just can't ever see myself throwing so much money away again. There are so many other cool things I need to buy.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Legenae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Legenae »

Aslanna wrote:Ah. The ole smoking debate. Rehashed once again. I guess it's been two years why not

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... hp?t=13114
The big difference between smoing and those other things you mention is that it affects others besides the person with the habit. If people want to smoke in private hey, knock yourself out, I couldn't care less what you do because it doesn't affect me.

Your (the generic 'your') stinky smoke drifts over to my area when I'm out eating at a restaurant and you're damn right I'll be judgmental about it. I don't see why that's so difficult to comprehend.
I agree. As a lifelong non-smoker I was very happy when I finally moved out of my mother's house (she smokes a LOT). When I got my own place it was smoke free. I hated going to restaurants with her and she would light up at the table.

Sometimes I wonder if smokers realize just how bad they smell. I will actually step back from customers who reek of cigarette smoke.
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

Avestan wrote:I have no problem with you smoking at home, but I do have an issue with people smoking in bars and restaurants. The research into 2nd hand smoke is not iffy and I should be able to eat/drink anywhere without having to expose myself to it.
I have to disagree with you. Bars and restuarants are private businesses. The owners of those businesses should be allowed to determine if they want to allow smoking or not. You as a private citizen therefore have the right to eat or work at that restaurant. If you don't want to be exposed then don't go but government should not be pushing its way into small businesses.

My wife and I don't go to restaurants that allow smoking. I just can't stand the smell while I am eating and I don't want to expose my son to the second hand smoke. My sister-in-law smokes like a chimney and her house reeks of it. I will still have an occasional smoke if I go to the bar though. It is pretty rare now though...maybe 3 or 4 cigarettes a year.
Deward
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

They are a private business but they still need to respect Health and Safety laws that protect the people that work there.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

i guess this luclin kid is never going to get his question answered

maybe it's just hard to take those original descriptions seriously as if the care put into these cigarettes matches that of fine wines
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Deward wrote:I have to disagree with you. Bars and restuarants are private businesses. The owners of those businesses should be allowed to determine if they want to allow smoking or not. You as a private citizen therefore have the right to eat or work at that restaurant. If you don't want to be exposed then don't go but government should not be pushing its way into small businesses.
So should a private business be allowed to operate if the walls are filled with asbestos?
What if the place is infested with rats?
Or mold?

There are countless studies of the effects of secondhand smoke.
No one should have to work (or eat) in an environment where their health is placed at risk.

There are already laws in place that require business owners to provide a safe environment for their employees. How is this any different?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Oh and to those who think it's just whiny Americans you may want to take a look at all the other countries that have passed (or will pass) smoking bans. No mention of banning fat people from eating for some reason though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_bans_by_country

--
Fenna
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fenna »

After doing a quick Google search I see many stories about banning smoking in cars. Apparently one town has already done it, or is planning on it. As I recall it started as a way to stop folks from smoking while they have children in the car.

I know there are many rental units (apartments, etc.) that ban smoking. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere a law will be passed that bans smoking in all rental units and hotel rooms. And after that, privately owned homes may not be far behind.

What really scares me, though, is the inevitable move to required health assessments at employers. Getting a job, or keeping a job, will be dependant upon passing a health assessment. And I'm talking about desk jobs, not firemen and such, due to insurance costs. In order to get, and keep, any decent job, a person has to be a non-smoker, regular exerciser, and healthy eater.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Fenna wrote: I know there are many rental units (apartments, etc.) that ban smoking. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere a law will be passed that bans smoking in all rental units and hotel rooms. And after that, privately owned homes may not be far behind.
Smoking is banned from hotels in Hartford, CT. It is something like a $750 fine if you get caught doing it.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I remember smoking some of the "novelty" blends from Camel, but I cannot remember the actual names. One tasted like an afterdinner mint, Chocolate and Vanilla. Another was pretty must just a vanilla flavor. They really did seem to "fit" better after particular meals than something to be smoked all of the time.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

1- If you take a job at a place that allows smoking - then you have no one to blame but yourself when it comes to second hand smoke.

2- If you want to go to a bar and not be around smoke - go sit at the bar in applebees or some other family joint and don't fuck it up for everyone else.

3- I would love to see them ban smoking in my car. It is MINE and I will do what I damn well please in it, same with my home.

It's hilarious how most of you will bitch up a storm to protect a right that you believe in, and turn on one you don't. And yes, it IS my RIGHT to smoke wherever I goddamn well please just like it is YOUR RIGHT to get the fuck away from me if you don't like it.

I didn't smoke up until a few years ago but most people I was around did, it didn't bother me while I was eating, or at any other time and by NO means would I ask them not to if it did bother me, I would just choose to be elsewhere.

Miir, how is your point valid when no one HAS to eat/work in a place that allows smoking, there are just as many places that don't. If your favorite place to eat allows smoking and you don't want to be around it then you have to make the choice for yourself which is more important.

And for whoever was citing the research on second hand smoke. You might also want to look into the fact that people are pre disposed to getting cancer. Take for example 90 year old granny that has been smoking heavy for her whole life and doesn't have a single cancer cell in her body, and the 35 year old guy that is undergoing chemo because he has been smoking for 10 years and already has cancer.

So yes, smoking may play a part - but it is incorrect to pin 100% of the blame on smoking when such research has been done.

P.S.

I have tried the different Camel blends - the only one I really cared for was the Crema one. I smoke those for a while, but I can only take the flavor thing once in a while. I cannot smoke anything that even resembles menthol.
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

miir wrote:So should a private business be allowed to operate if the walls are filled with asbestos?
What if the place is infested with rats?
Or mold?

There are countless studies of the effects of secondhand smoke.
No one should have to work (or eat) in an environment where their health is placed at risk.

There are already laws in place that require business owners to provide a safe environment for their employees. How is this any different?
Your examples have nothing to do with smoking. Smoking is a obvious hazard that usually can't be hidden like asbestos, rats and mold. If an owner fails to notify his customers and staff about those and they get sick then they can sue him. Smoking is kind of hard to hide though so anyone working or patronizing a smoking establishment takes the risk knowingly.

I personally believe that second hand smoke is harmful but there have been a lot of studies that say that certain amounts are harmless. Going into a smoking restaurant and having a meal is not going to give you cancer. For every study that says second hand smoke is bad, I can find a rebuttal against it. Most studies so far have been seriously biased in one way or another. I do believe that large amounts of second hand smoke are harmful. I can see just across my street. A mother and her boyfriend chain smoke around her two kids. It is easy to see the kid is already mentally deficient and he is barely 4 years old.
Deward
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

Funkmasterr wrote:And yes, it IS my RIGHT to smoke wherever I goddamn well please just like it is YOUR RIGHT to get the fuck away from me if you don't like it.
As long as you don't walk into a crowd of non smokers and expect them to move for your retarded ass.
Akanae
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Akanae »

I won't put a lot of effort into this post since Funk is obviously baiting and I don't want to feed the troll, but regardless of how you feel the non-smokers are going to win in the long run. Michigan is getting close to banning smoking in restaurants, MN will not be far behind.
I don't think its too unrealistic to say every state is going to have a ban on smoking in public places (except maybe Nevada) in our lifetimes. So you should probably get used to the idea of having to eat at home if you like the smell of ass with your food.
WOW - Eewy priest of Cenarius
EQ- Akanae Tendo officer of OTB ~retired~
COH - Akanae Empathy Defender on Pinnacle ~retired~
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Lynks wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:And yes, it IS my RIGHT to smoke wherever I goddamn well please just like it is YOUR RIGHT to get the
get the fuck away from me if you don't like it.
As long as you don't walk into a crowd of non smokers and expect them to move for your retarded ass.
Of course not, but that is the attitude that the non smokers that are outspoken seem to have. If you don't want to be around smoking, then a bar is not the place for you. I don't claim to know how things are all over, but in the places I have been it seems that the majority of people smoke, or do not care - so we are all supposed to adjust for the minority(as usual).
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Akanae wrote:I won't put a lot of effort into this post since Funk is obviously baiting and I don't want to feed the troll, but regardless of how you feel the non-smokers are going to win in the long run. Michigan is getting close to banning smoking in restaurants, MN will not be far behind.
I don't think its too unrealistic to say every state is going to have a ban on smoking in public places (except maybe Nevada) in our lifetimes. So you should probably get used to the idea of having to eat at home if you like the smell of ass with your food.
Yeah, MN will be statewide by next year from what I hear. I bet it doesn't bother you any that a ton of small town bars will go out of business because of this either, does it?
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

That's a myth. People still want to go out and drink & socialize, and they'll continue to do so whether they can pollute the air with toxic fumes or not.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I bet it doesn't bother you any that a ton of small town bars will go out of business because of this either, does it?
That's total horseshit.
Since they banned smoking in bars and restaurants in Toronto, many places have actually seen an increase in business.

I've not seen a single newspaper article or news blurb about a restaurant/bar/club owner whining about a drop in business or going out out of business since the ban. Smokers are fast becoming a insignificant minority and it's a good thing that government is no longer making concessions for them.

The truth is that people who don't like smelling like shit are now more motivated to go out to restaurants/bars/clubs.

If people go out and they feel the need to smoke, they can just step outside with all the other smokers.

It's really a win-win-win situation.

By the way, I'm a smoker.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Smoking bans can, and do, hurt smaller business owners when the majority of their regular customers ARE smokers. Here's one story from my hometown about the early impact on local bars. More followed which detailed bars either closing for additional nights or completely.

Story Link
Some say ban is hurting business

By SCOTT BERSHOF

Almost a month after a public ordinance extinguished smoking in several public facilities, several area private and public establishment owners say the ban is having the same effect on their businesses.
"It's been very slow," said Lee Gallegos, owner of Time Out Sports Bar, who has estimated that she has lost almost half of her customers.
On weekends and even some Saturday nights, Gallegos has closed the bar early because of a lack of customers.
"People don't want to have to go in and out (of the building)," Gallegos said. "Everybody says it's not fair."
In August, Garden City's five-member city commission unanimously approved a smoking ordinance after months of internal discussions and public debates.
The ordinance bans smoking in all restaurants, bars, private clubs/fraternal organizations, educational facilities and public seating areas, such as bleachers.
It also prohibits smoking within 50 feet of an entrance or exit of a facility where smoking already is banned.
The goal was to enact an even, across-the-board ordinance that wouldn't give any one entity an advantage over any other with an overall goal of protecting public health, commissioners have said.
While some area bars have seen a decrease in revenue, the ordinance's after-effects have been especially hard on some local fraternal organizations.
Terria Judge, commander of the American Legion, said the private facility saw an almost $1,200 drop in revenue in the first week the ban took effect - Jan. 8 through the 14 - compared to the previous week.
Although, the legion does not have revenue numbers compiled for the last two weeks of the month, Judge said the level of business has stayed the same.
Since the ban took effect on Jan. 8, Judge said the legion has lost almost 25 regular customers who have specifically said they no longer chose to frequent the establishment because they cannot smoke.
If the levels of revenue do not begin to pick up over the next few months, legion officials may have no choice but to close down the facility by the summer, Judge said.
"I think we could probably hang on for another six months before we would be down to zero," Judge said.
Mary Nelson said she and her husband, Chuck, who are longtime legion members, will now likely go to the building one or two times a month, where they used to go three or four times a week when smoking was legal.
"Why should we go somewhere and have a drink if (Chuck) can't enjoy it and have a good time?" said Mary, who doesn't smoke.
The Knights of Columbus also has seen its customer base drop over the last month, said facility manager Travis Brunson.
"Some of them are now just going home," Brunson said. "Or some of them have shops and they're just staying at their shop to drink and smoke."
Remington's Bar has lost some frequent customers and those that do still come in don't stay for as long as before, said co-owner Heather Schlegal, because many of them prefer to go to bars outside of city limits that are not restricted by the ordinance.
"We have customers everyday tell us, �We are sorry but we have to go ... because we have to smoke when we drink," Schlegal said.
Longtime Garden City resident Shaun Irwin said that while he used to frequent several city bars, he now mainly goes to those out in the county where smoking still is permitted.
"You have two or three guys having a conversation, and every time someone gets lost or out of the loop because they have to go outside (to smoke)," Irwin said. "Sometimes I'll probably stay at home"
Fred's Place, one of the few area bars located outside city limits, has seen a slight increase in customers over the last month but nothing substantial, said Fred Medina, a past owner who still assists in running the facility.
"We've always (had) a pretty good clientele," Medina said.
Not at all area businesses have seen a downturn since the ordinance took effect.
Dan Mastin, owner of Hanna's Corner, said that although he doesn't agree with the ban, business has picked up as a result of it.
"This has generally been a slow time for us but it's not now," Mastin said.
Longtime Hanna's customers Mary Kemper, Tracy Johnson and Karen Johnson said that while they've always gone to the restaurant, they enjoy the experience much more now that smoke is no longer in the air.
"We really like it now ... it's much better," Kemper said. "You can breathe. The city did the right thing."
Personally, I supported smoking bans in restaurants as a smoker, but not bars/bingo halls/pool halls/etc..
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Akanae wrote:I won't put a lot of effort into this post since Funk is obviously baiting and I don't want to feed the troll, but regardless of how you feel the non-smokers are going to win in the long run. Michigan is getting close to banning smoking in restaurants, MN will not be far behind.
Yeah, MN will be statewide by next year from what I hear. I bet it doesn't bother you any that a ton of small town bars will go out of business because of this either, does it?
Thats the same thing people over here said. That every bar in my town was going to close. Truth is, business couldn't be better. For every smoker that doesn't show up, a non smoker comes in.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Lynks wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:
Thats the same thing people over here said. That every bar in my town was going to close. Truth is, business couldn't be better. For every smoker that doesn't show up, a non smoker comes in.
Well, a friend of mines family owns one of the more popular clubs in Minneapolis, and since the smoking ban there business has been down considerably, and it seems to be that way elsewhere (smoking has been banned in Minneapolis for a few years now so this isn't just an initial effect.

Small town bars are hurting BAD. There is actually a city that is in two counties, divided by a river - you can smoke in half the city but not the other (Rockford is the city.) The bars on the non smoking side of the river have already started going out of business.

If the majority of people at these places smoke (and if you have been to any small town bar in MN you know on an average night maybe 2 people in a packed bar don't smoke) they will go elsewhere, and many of them will stop going out if they can't smoke. Since the smoking ban in Minneapolis I almost never go out downtown anymore because if I am drinking, I want to smoke and if I can't do it there I will just stay home.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

All non smokers should fuck off and parade around in the dresses they were born for.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re:

Post by Chidoro »

Funkmasterr wrote:
That hasn't happened in NY or NJ. People just step outside when they want to smoke. The smokers just step outside together like they do at work. If your entire city has a non-smoking in place that migration your speaking of won't take place.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Re:

Post by Boogahz »

Chidoro wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:
That hasn't happened in NY or NJ. People just step outside when they want to smoke. The smokers just step outside together like they do at work. If your entire city has a non-smoking in place that migration your speaking of won't take place.

I think it is Ohio (maybe just Cleveland?) that actually bans smoking in all workplaces. My employer's offices there have removed all outdoor smoking areas, and the only place on the site that a person can smoke is in their car with the windows rolled all the way up...
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Camel Signature Blends

Post by Funkmasterr »

At that point I guess I will just be racking up tickets for smoking (and not paying them) until they ship me off, cause that's just plain ridiculous.
Demags
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Demags »

Just a little clue for smokers that dont realize it, YOU FUCKING STINK. YOUR CLOTHES FUCKING STINK. ANYWHERE YOU SMOKE REGULARLY FUCKING STINKS.

I smoked most of my life, 3 packs a day usually. Smoked from 12 to 24, quit for 5 years then started again after getting some horrible news. During those 5 years smoke and the smell didnt really bother me. Smoked for about 10 more years then finally got myself to quit again, and its been almost 3 years. Problem is this time I cant stand smelling it or being around it. Second hand smoke literally makes me ill now and most of my friends smoke, so it makes it hard to make my house smoke free and have guests. I dont preach to them but I tend to avoid their houses unless we are going to be outside.

Saying that, I dont agree with the government making no smoking rules for small businesses while at the same time happily sucking in the tax revenue those cigarettes provide. They should either make smoking and tobacco products illegal, or just shut the fuck up about it.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Yeah, smoking was banned here in Auburn a few months ago and it sucks. I don't even smoke anymore but I dont bother going to most bars either because they are so dead. Luckily some of the bigger ones either have balconies or patios with chairs outside so they are still frequented, and its not heavily enforced so as long as you smoke by the exit they wont say too much. It was so much more fun to go out when smoking was allowed though.

That being said, I dont smoke anymore. Chantix is the shit, helped me quit more than patches or gum ever could. And it has no nicotine. But its still hard to not smoke if people are smoking around me...I wouldnt bitch and complain about it in a bar though.

I mean, seriously, if you REALLY think that smoking bans dont have an effect on bars business, why not try opening a bar that does not allow smoking in a town where smoking is allowed in bars. Lets see how many people come. Even non-smokers wouldnt come often because they usually have friends that smoke and their friends wont want to go.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I can't imagine why anyone would smoke in thier homes.
It discolours the walls/ceilings, the smoke permeates anything that is made of fabric (furniture, carpet, rugs) and it fucking stinks. Same as your car. My mom and her husband used to smoke in their car. Even 6 months later it smelled like shit.

I'm down to smoking a pack every 3 days.
I never smoke in my house, I avoid smoking in front of children and I try to be courteous about blowing smoke in the direction of other people.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Re:

Post by Chidoro »

Boogahz wrote:
I think it is Ohio (maybe just Cleveland?) that actually bans smoking in all workplaces. My employer's offices there have removed all outdoor smoking areas, and the only place on the site that a person can smoke is in their car with the windows rolled all the way up...
That's pretty fucked up. I can understand the proximity to hospital laws NJ has, but the scenario you have is pretty ridiculous.
I think I used to smoke you you do Miir. I would never smoke in my apt/condo. I also never smoked while at a table in a restaurant. People are spending their money to eat and I never felt I had to smoke so bad as to make their experience suck and their food taste like shit smoke.

eech, only 3 imbeds allowed