Racism in France?

What do you think about the world?
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Racism in France?

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

But, but how could this be? France is such a progressive country. Full of artists and intellectuals much better people than stupid Americans. I believe the store was closed for a special event. It wasn't racism. No way.
Luxury store apologizes to Oprah
Hermes' Paris store had rebuffed talk show host

(CNN) -- Luxury store Hermes on Wednesday apologized to Oprah Winfrey for turning her away last week, saying that its Paris store was closed to set up for a public relations event when the talk show host stopped by.

"Hermes regrets not having been able to accommodate Ms. Winfrey and her team and to provide her with the service and care that Hermes strives to provide to each and every one of its customers worldwide," the store said in a statement.

"Hermes apologizes for any offense taken due to such circumstances."

The store said the incident occurred on June 14 around 6:45 p.m., about 15 minutes after the store closed. It said Winfrey and her team arrived at a time when "a private PR event was being set up inside."

Harpo Productions spokeswoman Michelle McIntyre said Winfrey "will discuss her 'crash moment' when her show returns from hiatus in September."

"Crash" is a film dealing with race relations. The phrase "crash moment" refers to situations where a party feels discriminated against on the basis of skin color.

The New York Daily News cited sources close to Winfrey as saying the talk show host was first rebuffed by a clerk and then a store manager. The Daily News reported Winfrey had gone to the store to buy a watch for singer Tina Turner, her dining partner that night.

McIntyre confirmed that account for CNN.

The New York Post, in its Monday Page Six gossip column, reported she was turned away because the store had been "having a problem with North Africans lately."

In comments to CNN, an Hermes spokeswoman categorically denied that allegation.

"There was never any discussion of North Africans," she said. "The story is not true."

The spokeswoman said Winfrey came to the store 15 minutes after closing and a security guard informed her the store was closed and gave her a card, telling her she could come back the next day.

Surveillance videotape of the encounter supports the store's account, according to the spokeswoman.

She said the CEO of Hermes has called Winfrey's people to explain "the situation" and invited her to come back to shop in the store.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/22/oprah.apology
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

Yeah, France is racist because a store wouldnt let a black person inside after store hours. Right.

Dont tell me you are an Oprah fanboi now.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Haha you fucking hypocrite, the tone of your post is racist in itself, shut up.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
VariaVespasa
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by VariaVespasa »

Ya, that was a bit weak there Midnyte- being refused entry because the store has been closed for 15 minutes already is hardly racism. /whap.

*Hugs*
Varia
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

If Oprah was white they would have re-opened the store for her. I am sure any upscale department store will turn away one of the most recognizable and wealthy females on the planet just because of her skin color.

They probably don't even let black people in during store hours.

If this happened in the United States, you would have said Oprah was playing the race card to get attention.
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Racism in France?

Post by archeiron »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:But, but how could this be? France is such a progressive country. Full of artists and intellectuals much better people than stupid Americans. I believe the store was closed for a special event. It wasn't racism. No way.
...The spokeswoman said Winfrey came to the store 15 minutes after closing and a security guard informed her the store was closed and gave her a card, telling her she could come back the next day.

Surveillance videotape of the encounter supports the store's account, according to the spokeswoman.
... .
Without a doubt, there is racism in France, which I can attest to having witnessed when I lived in Paris. However, this doesn't seem to be a clear case of racism as the section I highlighted in bold indicates.

As there appears to be some ignorance of social and domestic political issues in foreign countries, I will offer this small tidbit: all of the colonial (and former colonial) powers in Europe have some form of racial tension associated with former colonies. In Germany and the Netherlands, you can assume that there is a underlying tension with Turkish people who have immigrated to those countries.

Pointing out the shortcomings of another country is not a valid counter argument when they point out the shortcomings of your country, nor do their shortcomings make them any less capable or qualified to point out the shortcomings in your country.

In conclusion, cake is clearly greater than pie because of the existance of cheesecake.
[65 Storm Warden] Archeiron Leafstalker (Wood Elf) <Sovereign>RETIRED
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

cheesecake is a type of pie
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Midnyte's a hypocrite and lacks comprehension or logic skills?

OMFG, stop the presses.

In other news, water still wet.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Kguku
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kguku »

kyoukan wrote:cheesecake is a type of pie
Baking 911 says otherwise!

No cake for you!

http://www.baking911.com/_disc10/00000ba9.htm
"When you dance with the devil, the devil don't change, the devil changes you."
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Newsflash : There are racist assholes everywhere.

Seems to me like Oprah herself is about to play the race card herself over this.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yeah, geez. I just don't know where I would get a silly ole idea like that from this
The New York Post, in its Monday Page Six gossip column, reported she was turned away because the store had been "having a problem with North Africans lately."
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

in its Monday Page Six gossip column,
Clearly a basis for integrity and fact.

It was after hours. Why should a store reopen just because the woman cries on TV with Dr. Phil?
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Maybe they just don't like Oprah, or celebrities cause of this reason (demanding to go in after hours).
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

Nevada's DMV is also racist, at 5:00 they close there doors, but anyone that was on line at 5:00 is allowed to stay until they are finished.

Any black person (or anyone) who arrived at 5:01 wouldn't be allowed in while people were still inside! :D
Last edited by Thess on June 25, 2005, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

Mid just stop posting like you do in every thread when you completely self-own yourself.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Yeah, geez. I just don't know where I would get a silly ole idea like that from this
The New York Post's Gossip Column...yeah there's a credible source for news...A veritable bastion of journalistic integrity...

And Kyou is right Cheesecake is a Pie not a Cake...Unless you are doing something really weird to make Cheesecake...
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

the only thing cakey about cheesecake is it's name. it has all the tenets of a pie: a crust, filing, and the way it is prepared and served. I don't care what "bakin911.com" says, bunch of retards if they think cheesecake isn't pie.

although if you want to get technical, the modern incarnation of cheesecake isn't really cheesecake. originally in europe cheesecake was prepared like a cake and looked like a cake. it didn't really taste as good though, and didn't have different variations. the stuff we have now used to be called cheesecake pie, then they renamed it new york style cheesecake and started using different flavors.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

self-own
Haha that is a fucking excellent phrase.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nah. It's you folks who have pwned yourselves. I love how easily you all portray common sense and logic when it is used to defame someone you dislike who posted about it. Well done pawns. Well done.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

what you said doesn't even make sense.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

This is an archive worthy thread.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Well, if you must know, this has nothing to do with who posted this. My feelings are the same when I heard of this yesterday. Oprah is blowing this out of proportion and this is just a case of celebrities thinking they are superior to everyone else.

Closed store = closed to all.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Thess wrote:Nevada's DMV is also racist, at 5:00 they close there doors, but anyone that was on line at 5:00 is allowed to stay until they are finished.

Any black person (or anyone) who arrived at 5:01 wouldn't be allowed in while people were still inside! :D
Has Nevada's DMV improved? I remember huge lines there to do anything. Arizona used to be like that but now it's like a walk in the park to go to the DMV and get things done.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

1 - Noone has ever claimed that there were no racists in France.

2 - People everywhere make fun of the french. It's like making fun of newfies. It's too darn easy... and fun.

3 - There is no proof whatsoever of racism in this incident.

4 - Since when is gossip column and/or tabloid fodder considered a current events by this forums' low standards?

5 - What is the name of fuck does this mean?

Nah. It's you folks who have pwned yourselves. I love how easily you all portray common sense and logic when it is used to defame someone you dislike who posted about it. Well done pawns. Well done
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

Winnow wrote:
Thess wrote:Nevada's DMV is also racist, at 5:00 they close there doors, but anyone that was on line at 5:00 is allowed to stay until they are finished.

Has Nevada's DMV improved? I remember huge lines there to do anything. Arizona used to be like that but now it's like a walk in the park to go to the DMV and get things done.
I don't know, I haven't been there in awhile... I do my registration online!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Nah. It's you folks who have pwned yourselves. I love how easily you all portray common sense and logic when it is used to defame someone you dislike who posted about it. Well done pawns. Well done.
kyoukan wrote:what you said doesn't even make sense.
Translation: I know you are, but what am I?! AHA!
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Thess wrote:
What! I renew for two years but every two years you must also get an emissions check here so I don't register online since I'm right next door to the DMV after I do that part. Biannual emissions checks are the biggest ripoff ever. Should be every four years!
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

This thread is amusing :) And I hate Oprah.. not because she is African-American but because she is an annoying windbag. Fucking glorified Rickie Lake.
Sylvos
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sylvos »

Sacre Bleu!
I went to France and asked for Coffee. I said I wanted it Black and they spit at me and added cream to my coffee!
Racist bastards!

You can not sell water to the Americans!
Mo deu! WE WE! We put the water in the bottles and put the fancy lable on it! The Americans will buy it and we will rich!
Ho! Ho! Stupid Americans!
Ho! Ho! We! We!

Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Sylvos wrote: You can not sell water to the Americans!
Mo deu! WE WE! We put the water in the bottles and put the fancy lable on it! The Americans will buy it and we will rich!
Ho! Ho! We! We!

Well, take a look at Evian to see how stupid anyone buying it really are :). Try to spell it backwards.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

Winnow wrote:
Thess wrote:
What! I renew for two years but every two years you must also get an emissions check here so I don't register online since I'm right next door to the DMV after I do that part. Biannual emissions checks are the biggest ripoff ever. Should be every four years!
All our emissions companies send the data to the DMV so when you register online after getting the emisions check, they have the information!
Wonko Wenusberg
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Wonko Wenusberg »

There is racism in other countries?! Oh my I didn't know.
Burke
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Burke »

Wait... Mid are you a Scientologist?
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Burke wrote:Wait... Mid are you a Scientologist?

umm FUCK NO!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

My mom tells me there's a lot of French people in France.
- Ash
Kelgar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kelgar »

Sylvos wrote:Sacre Bleu!
I went to France and asked for Coffee. I said I wanted it Black and they spit at me and added cream to my coffee!
Racist bastards!

Ho! Ho! We! We!

I think that's spelled 'oui oui'.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I want to dine w/ Oprah. I've needed a new watch for a long time now

your knack for misinterpreting everything you read is truly staggering Mid

I hate the dmv

I only freedom kiss

carry on
Sylvos
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sylvos »

Kelgar wrote:
Sylvos wrote:Sacre Bleu!
Racist bastards!

Ho! Ho! We! We!

WTF OUI OUI YOUR MOTHER LOLLLZ

Oui Oui your mother you french loving homo!

I think that's spelled 'oui oui'.