The Contender

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

nobody
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

The Contender

Post by nobody »

I was mostly curious to see this b/c of how Fox screwed the pooch on their version of it. Not sure how many of you know that story but it's right here.

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv ... reat_champ
Because the world needs at least two, if not three, reality TV boxing series, and because networks don't fail for plagiarism, FOX has ordered a boxing reality TV series with Oscar De La Hoya. Mark Burnett and Jeffrey Katzenberg aren't happy, and not just because the series sounds familiar to their planned NBC series The Contender. They're pissed "because the executives pitched their ambitious plans for 'Contender,' both to the network and to De La Hoya's camp a few months ago," according to The Hollywood Reporter; FOX bid on it, but NBC won. Katzenberg says, "I'm very concerned about (the Fox series) and I hope that whatever it is that they're doing is original and their own." Produced by Endemol, FOX's series The Next Great Champ may debut before NBC's. Contestants "will work with current WBC super-welterweight boxing champ de la Hoya" and will "compete for an existing boxing title ... and a contract with de la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions company,"
I didn't have high hopes for it but was impressed by the first episode. Monday was a good night to feature it b/c there isn't much to compete with. It wasn't good enough to compete with Lost for example but I still plan on keeping up with it. The fight was great. My favorite thing about the show is that the fighters get to call out who they want to fight each week.
[Show]
The underdog, a fighter with a record of 10-2, took on a 21-0 fighter by choice and kicked his ass.
My goal is to live forever. So far so good.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. - Benjamin Franklin

خودتان را بگای
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

I liked the contender personally! I think NBC did a much better job then Fox did.. I was surprised it got such low ratings as well.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

I loved it. Can't wait for the next episode.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

This show premiered in last place by a huge margin. It was a collossal failure. Stallone was counting on it being a success so he could fund Rocky 6 and hopefully get someone to buy his Rambo 4 script. At this point in time, no one will touch Stallone with a 10 ft pole. I fear this just made a bad situation for him even worse...