How many people are still playing EQ1?

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Are you still playing EQ1?

Yes
49%
No
51%

Total votes: 180

noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

How many people are still playing EQ1?

Post by noel »

Don't want to post this in the EQ forum because I want it to get as much exposure as possible. I'm curious how many people are still playing EQ1.

Even if you're just still subscribed but never play, or only play it once a month, please vote 'Yes'.

If you'd like to comment that you're waiting for a specific game or that you're done with MMOGs for the forseeable future, I'd be highly interested in those comments as well.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

I am still subscribed but do not play. Rarely my fiancee will play one of her many gimps on my account.

I enjoy the people in the game, but I am at a point where I cannot progress further without raiding. I don't have the time to be a productive member of a raid guild (or to check my raid stats every day after) and quite frankly, GoD is - imo - the worst expansion to ever come out of the EQ gates.

My primary reason to maintain my account is so that I have an increase in my chances at the EQ2 beta, since I am a longtime subscriber to Sony services.

I am waiting for EQ2, but I do not wish to jump in and play it without having taken part of the beta to see what kind of game it will pan out to be or what kind of time investment will be required or if it's casual gamer friendly.

So, we'll see.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Legenae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Legenae »

I was done with EQ around Jan '03, and cancelled my subscription back then.

Currently the only MMORPG I am interested in at this time is WoW, and just waiting for the open beta to start (not the stress test). Until then, I'm playing FFX-2 on the PS2.
Crav
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Crav »

I'm waiting for Vanguard, but since that won't be out for a while I've been thinking of trying out EQII when it comes out. Don't know about WoW, although I'll probably find out which one some of my friends are playing and then make my choice.
Crav Veladorn
Darkblade of Tunare

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
- Albert Einstein
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I cancelled shortly after the last LV Fan Faire I attended. I definitely miss the people from time to time, but I really think I've lost my appetite for MMOGs.

Since leaving EQ, I've played Planetside, City of Heroes, and FFXI but I have yet to remain interested in an MMOG for much more than a month.

I'll very likely pick up WoW, but more to look at it than to play it. I'm sure Blizzard will be delivering a good product, but I rarely have the time to play these days and my attention span for MMOGs seems to be really low lately.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

I quit a couple of months ago for good, had been playing casually til then. I am waiting for WoW I guess, might pick up CoH, but I am really not sure I want to get into another mmorpg, my time these days is very lacking and the free time i have I use on other things.

I do miss the feel of the old days in EQ, eploring a new world with a bunch of friends and all that, so maybe i will pick up WoW and play it casually, but it would be very casually, i have no desire to be hardcore again, too much of life passed me by while i tried that.
Fortune favors the brave!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I got done with EQ back in March '03.

I've been playing WoW since Oct'03 and am loving it.
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

Quit/Cancelled back a couple of years ago.

Since EQ I've tried DAOC briefly, Horizons, SWG, FFXI, CoH and Toontown and never played more than a month or so.

Only game I've been playing online lately is Texas Holdem at cardplayer.com.

I pre-ordered EQ2 and I'm sure there will be others but I'm leaning towards online gaming never being a passion again.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

No.. as of yesterday :(
miir and I are best friends. <3
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Hamlas3r
PSN ID: Hamlaser

Post by Trias »

Rellix wrote:No.. as of yesterday :(
what the
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

I dabble every now and then. Not on Veeshan though :) Took it up again when a hardware issue I can't nail down keeps me out of DAoC.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Trias wrote:
what the
I quit Trias.. suprise I suppose.
miir and I are best friends. <3
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Hamlas3r
PSN ID: Hamlaser

Post by Trias »

Rellix wrote:
Trias wrote:
what the
I quit Trias.. suprise I suppose.
doh k
Kguku
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kguku »

I let my account lapse back in November 03.

WTS 65 monk1@#!@#
"When you dance with the devil, the devil don't change, the devil changes you."
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

i still play.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Ajran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Ajran »

coming out of retirement sometime this coming week. so currently no. ask me in a week and yes.

will probably give wow a try when it comes out.. thats the only game i am really interested in thats due out any time soon.. vanguard looks good but thats a ways off.
Deneve
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Deneve »

I ended up quiting by circumstance more than choice about a year ago, I've been considering reactivating my account, but my desire for hardcore gaming has all but vanished...
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Until the NEXT big PC-game, play Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS!

Good Game! :)
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Kelshara wrote:I dabble every now and then. Not on Veeshan though :) Took it up again when a hardware issue I can't nail down keeps me out of DAoC.
Someone cancel her VV account!

We can't tolerate a cross-dressing cross-burning cross-server spy!

j/k Kelshara.

You afraid we might bite on Veeshan?

That's just Cartalas and he's had his shots....

===============

edit - to answer the original question... I still play and rather hardcore yet. No end in sight to EQ1... downloading OoW as we speak...
Mort
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mort »

I still play a lot... I always swore to myself that I would progress through the game as intended and not skip anything and kept my promise. My guild is now milking VT and damn close to ele's.
Morteus - 60 NE War - Cenarius
Warlord of <Driven>

"I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct....."
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

You afraid we might bite on Veeshan?
Not at all. My original character was created back the first summer on Veeshan. He was moved to Saryrn in the server split. After that, I played on both Saryrn (hardcore at the higher levels) and Veeshan (lower end with friends). I then quit EQ and moved to DAoC, and sold the account with the major characters on both servers. When I had the hardware trouble that is keeping me out of DAoC, I started messing around on EQ again with an account that had some characters there but had been inactive for a very long time.
TheDarkreigns
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by TheDarkreigns »

I stopped playing way back....as you can tell by the level in my signature. Right now I'm just playing FF-XI. Which is actually pretty cool.

Though as soon as world of warcraft comes out I'm definitely dropping FFXI and grabbing myself a copy immediately.
Huzzajin - Troll mage - Whisperwind
<Ixtlan>

Formerly:
Darkreigns S`Upreme
57 Wizard of Solusek Ro
Veeshan Server
<Ixtlan>
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

TheDarkreigns wrote:I stopped playing way back....as you can tell by the level in my signature. Right now I'm just playing FF-XI. Which is actually pretty cool.

Though as soon as world of warcraft comes out I'm definitely dropping FFXI and grabbing myself a copy immediately.

And you're still a gimp...

Quit back in October of 03 due to my computer crashing.. once i got a new one never really had the desire to play.. trying to come back now but not really motivated to..
Timmah.

Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Quit about 4 months ago
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Ajran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Ajran »

re-activated tonight.. went on some raids.. had a blast.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Hello, my name is Bubba Grizz and I am 3 years clean. I awoke from my EQ coma and found that there is indeed a world beyond that of my computer. Did you know that there is this thing calld the "SUN" and it gives free light and heat? Freaky shit.

After leaving EQ I played DAoC for 3 months before they became an EQ clone then I quit that.

I am currently playing the Text Mud that was the basis for EQ, Torilmud. This is where Brad played Aradune and got a lot of us to come over to EQ. Like Crav, I am waiting for Vanguard to come out. I participate on their boards in the Game Design forum. A lot of great ideas are being bounced around there.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

Since EQ I played some PS, FFXI, SWG, er, I think that's about it. I'd still play PS if I didn't have to subscribe to it :P FFXI was about the most enjoyable of the 3 though. But I'm done with MMOs for the foreseeable future. I just don't have the time to play hardcore any more and playing casual just isn't my style so I'm best just leaving it be.
So its online poker, console action and the occasional single player PC game for me.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Ogbar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Greblaja

Post by Ogbar »

Had quit for good (cancelled) about 6-12 months ago - had sputtered in the game for the year or so prior. Played DAoC off and on until they opened the Gaheris server (co-op), and had a lot of fun there, and played until City of Heroes came out. When online, I play CoH (still is fun for me) but I am just not online that much.

I turned on the Ogbar EQ account last month, but after two days I was quickly reminded of the reasons I left in the first place. I won't be back in EQ, but I haven't ruled out EQ2, or any other flavor of the month that comes along.
Ogbar - a member of the Tiger's Roar retirement community
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I haven't played since just before PoP came out. Luclin fucking killed the game for me.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

I played EQ from Oct '99 until Aug '03. I had two breaks for RL person reasons. I quit because I couldn't commit to raid hours every night like my guild needed and it just wasn't fun to give that much time to one thing any more.

I am looking forward to a relaxed career in WoW, and have loved the brief play time in Stress Testing. I will play open beta when it comes round. I might even give EQ2 and Vanguard a look, but won't be making any huge time sink commitments to a MMO game ever again.
[65 Storm Warden] Archeiron Leafstalker (Wood Elf) <Sovereign>RETIRED
TheDarkreigns
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by TheDarkreigns »

ME
Huzzajin - Troll mage - Whisperwind
<Ixtlan>

Formerly:
Darkreigns S`Upreme
57 Wizard of Solusek Ro
Veeshan Server
<Ixtlan>
Taly
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Taly »

Quit a month or two ago. To busy irl dealing with a wedding and work to even play. Wanted to give it up anyway, GoD killed the enjoyment for me.

Playing some WoW every once in awhile when I get the chance. Will probebly go to it when it goes live. Defenetly do not see myself going to EQ2.
I want to cast...........MAGIC MISSLE!
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

I still play, sometime between work, school, and a social life.
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I haven't played since April or so. I quit about a month after GoD came out, I think. I'd sort of retired about a year before that, right as Ixtlan/Legion hit elementals. Came back for a couple months right before GoD came out, and when it was released I realized I was done for good.

I think I finally (for the first time like... ever) uninstalled it from my machine in July or August.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Haven't played it in 8-9 months at least and account is cancelled. I definitely miss the old days...but like most people I think Luclin just trashed the game. Already have EQ2 on pre-order, but I definitely think it will be hard to enjoy it as much just because the people who made the game fun most likely will not be there....
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I still play casually. In fact, I really have only been playing casually once '00 rolled around. 65 days played on my main as a point of reference.

No real desire to take on another mmorpg seriously. CoH lasted about 2 months for me. No desire for anything else coming down the pike. Pretty much try to play at least one game of Go per night on IGS in the meantime.

I'll never get '99 back :cry: