[OT] DVD player buying info

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

[OT] DVD player buying info

Post by Voronwë »

Basically, i'm buying a new DVD player because my wifes sux.

I am basically looking for features like:

plays just about every format imaginable: CDR, CDRW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, SDVD, MP3, VCD, bla bla.

i guess progressive scan is a good idea too, but i don't have any kind of kickass TV (hope to change that later in the year).

tricolor output, optical output, etc etc.

firmware upgradeable sounds like a good idea too :p

anyways, i can get a decent deal on a Philips DVD 724, which does the above, and is fairly basic otherwise.

I'm not looking for anything that is like a "reference player", but just wanted to know if there were and DVD-afficianados out there who had some suggestions on features i may not be considering before i pull the trigger.

THX INFO!
Last edited by Voronwë on July 22, 2002, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I did the research and got everything you are looking for. 3 weeks later, PS2 dropped to 199.99. I wish more than anything I woulda just got a PS2. All that extra crap is just, well, extra crap.

Just my 2cp, GL to you.

Fairweather Pure
Kguku
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

DVD Player..

Post by Kguku »

If you're looking for a place to try and scrounge up good info you can check out http://www.audioreview.com also there is http://www.avsforum.com as well for digging through some good postings.

If you're looking for everything you listed there and want progressive scan as well I'd go with the Panasonic RP56/62.. Not sure what this years model is at (I have the RP56). Best picture quality / options for that price range out of all the players in that range.
Denadeb
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Denadeb »

I recently got a Pioneer DV-440 and I love it. I havn't had any problems running any type of format. I will post the features for it below. Also the biggest thing is how much you wanna spend man. Apex has some nice features for low prices and over all there pretty decent players.

Performance Features:

Improved Video S/N, Audio Dynamic Range and Reduced THD
High Speed Loading
High Speed Resume
MP3 Playback Capability
10-bit Video Signal DAC for High-Quality DVD pictures - Analog Devices
192kHz / 24-bit Audio DAC for superb sound quality - Burr Brown
Twin-Wave Laser Pickup for CD/Video CD/CD-R Playback
Dolby® Digital and dts® Digital Outputs
Component, S-Video Output
Pioneer Exclusive Viterbi Error Correction for Superior Reading Accuracy
Convenience Features:

43 Key Remote Control
Setup Navigator for First Time Setup
Advanced GUI(Graphical User Interface) with Non-Stop Operation, Basic/Expert Mode
Personal Modes (Audio and Video Settings)
Still Play (Field or Frame with Auto)
Still Step Play Forward and Reverse
Program Play (CD Track, Video/Chapter, Title)
Slow Motion Playback
Program Memory (Chapter/Title) (DVD)
Resume Play (DVD,Video CD)
Condition Memory (DVD)
Continue Play Memory (DVD,Video CD)
Warranty:

1 years parts and labor
3 Year Firmware Upgrades For Compatibility with Future DVD Authoring Technology
Dimensions:

Height: 2-1/8 ins
Width: 16-9/16 ins
Depth: 11 ins
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

<-------Likes his DVD player on his PS2
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

In all honesty, there's no point to buying a DVD player with all the whistles if you don't have the hardware to support it. Buying a really nice (expensive) DVD player without having a nice receiver/speaker set up is like paying $500 for a super nice video card on a 286.

If you have a good home theatre system, then the more you spend, the better you get - normally. My DVD player was $250 about 3 years ago.. it has everything I need it to, including a DTS decoder with a digital coax output. That goes into my receiver and gives me some beautiful sound.

If you're watching movies on a 13" black and white tv, just keep the one ya have. ;) Also, I usually buy Sony, Pioneer, or Panasonic for home electronics. They usually have the best features and best prices.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Searyx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Searyx »

If you're not worried about price, this is what I have, and I love it.

<a target="_blank" href="http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/produ ... 1">Kenwood Sovereign DV-5050M 400 Disc Progressive Scan DVD Video
</a>

You can get it for under $800
Searyx Fairyslayer
Lvl 50 Fury (Lvl 50 Provisioner)
Officer of Vae Victis on the Crushbone Server
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

i'm looking at like a $150-200 dollar player :p
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

My Sony DVD player was $230.00. Just keep in mind that the multi disc DVD players usually do NOT play MP3 and other common non-DVD formats. It's a market thing, I swear. How can I gat a fucking DVD player for my computer that is under 1 lb, 5x smaller, plays every format imaginable, and it costs undr $100.00?!?

Just be careful, and make sure and read what it can and cannot do.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

"there's no point to buying a DVD player with all the whistles if you don't have the hardware to support it"

That's it right there. If you don't have good home theater sound and a digital TV shopping by price is your best bet. I picked my Phillips up at Sams' Wholesale for about $250. It does more than I need even at that price.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail coming out on DVD was my justification to buy one.
Sylience
No Stars!

Post by Sylience »

They are getting pretty cheap now. My only advice is dont use a PS2 or XBox as a DVD player. They are ass, the slightest smudge/scratch/blemish on the dvd and you wont be able to watch.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If you plan to buy a high definition set anytime soon, be sure to get progressive scan on your DVD player. Those PS2 or X-Box players are total crap when dealing with high end sets. It makes a huge difference in the picture quality.

Thankfully, most DVDs are burned properly in Anamorphic Widescreen now for those of us that can take advantage of it.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/ ... index.html
Zvenn Eaglefist
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Zvenn Eaglefist »

im very happy with the DVD on my PS2 ) now that they lowered price you really cant beat it
Sensei Zvenn
formerly the 65th Transcendent of the Celestial Tomb...currently retired

<embed src="http://www.webspawner.com/users/veeshan/whoopass.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="120" height="90"></embed>
Dindolur
No Stars!

Post by Dindolur »

I bought me a Pioneer DV-444 a while back to replace my old crappy one, i would guess it has about the same performance features as Denadeb posted earlier for his DV-440.

As of yet, i have no complaints what so ever about the DV-444 as it can do all i might think of using it for.
Along with the 32" widescreen and the massive home cinema system it's almost a shame i don't use it more often and instead spend my time with EQ. :wink:
Dindolur McDorf - retired
Crusader of Valhall
Aedryn
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Aedryn »

Not sure about now but about 2 years ago when I bought my system most DVD players where actually rebadged toshiba's as they were and I think still are the best Players on the market. Most companies would buy the internals and rebadge and change an audio signal output or something simlar on the system and sell them under thier own names :) I know Onkyo, Pioneer, and a few others did this.
I am the same Dindolur I wish I used my system more often to :)
Healior
Archon of Brell

Aedryn
Storm Warden of Tunare

< The Circle of Eternity >