Borderlands 2 (360/PS3/PC)

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Borderlands 2 (360/PS3/PC)

Post by Zamtuk »

Pretty sure either Scooter or Zed give you the black market quest. As a side note: DO ALL SIDE QUESTS AS THEY COME. Can't stress that enough. The side quests have been both hilarious and worthwhile for loot/fun.
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

I'm intrigued. Should I play the first one before I pick this one up?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Syenye wrote:I'm intrigued. Should I play the first one before I pick this one up?
First one is awesome as well but there's no need to play it to enjoy this one. The original four characters have cameos in Borderlands 2 but the game stands by itself.

Funk: the black market guy is right in Sanctuary, between the bar and the golden key place. The door is colored purple. It was scooter or zed I think that gave the quest. Think scooter. You should get it asap so you can expand inventory and not have to keep throwing stuff away that you find that's worth money...and expand your ammo.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Always check the vending machines. I just found a Orange Grenade mod that drops supplies when it explodes. I didn't know orange items were available in vending machines. This one was in the Ammo vending machine right outside Zed's Medical room in Sanctuary.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Found it, thanks. Should have done that sooner.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Tediore weapons crack me up.
I got the trophy for killing a flying enemy by reloading!
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Haha nice!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I spent yesterday finishing up most of the side quests through level 14. They don't feel like side quests. Each one feels epic in it's own right.

I like how some missions give you bonuses if you use certain weapons etc to kill your target. The assassin mission, for example, where it wants you to use a different weapon to kill each assassin but it's up to you if you want the bonus.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

lol, apparently we are on the same schedule.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I look forward to playing this tonight!!! :D

What do folks use for headset on 360? Will it work with Logitech, etc or do you have to get ripped off by MS for their special 360 set?
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

There are headsets made by other companies so you don't have to get ones made by MS. However they need to specifically support the 360 so you probably can't just use whatever you currently have unless you have a universal one already that supports the Xbox.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Gotcha, looking on Amazon now.

Any wireless headset (not headphone, my sounds is BADASS) recommendations on the cheap?
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Turtle Beach headsets are always good. Some of the cheaper models have kinda delicate mic boom things so you have to be careful, but good sound, etc.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Sennheiser or gtfo
Fuck Michigan!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Sure, Sennheiser for earphones...overkill for headset, IMO.

I have some MkII earbuds that are fucking great!
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I use the Turtle Beach PX5. Fucking awesome headset, but $250. Works with PC, ps3, 360, Bluetooth devices, etc.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Picked up a 360-wireless/BT headset for like 30$. Had good reviews, etc. Works for me.

Will go through Amazon for the Gold sub as well...like 46$ for 12 months with instant code download.
en kærlighed småkager
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

why is this in the console section

why would you even buy this game on a console
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Was thinking same thing, but pretty much everyone I know went 360 and there ya go. Prefer m/k but gotta dig me some big tv.
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

kyoukan wrote:why is this in the console section

why would you even buy this game on a console
I don't really like pc gaming much anymore, I typically only play games there that aren't available on a console. That and I have 20+ friends playing it on consoles and one I can think of on pc. I'm not much for joining randoms.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

It depends on the game. Skyrim should be played on a PC. Battlefield 3 - PC. Borderlands 2 - 360. There's something lazy about the game that makes the analog sticks appealing.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm liking the look of my Siren with the Nevermore head and Torgue Explosiveness Skin. Stylish!

Around level 13-15, Blooshot Stonghold is a good leveling/farming spot.

Spoilers
[Show]
On the "A Dam Fine Rescue" mission where you're trying to save Roland, one you fail to save him and he's whisked away to another zone, for some reason, the mobs don't reset in the Bloodshot Ramparts zone. So, if you head back through Bloodshot Stronghold and zone into Ramparts, there will be no mobs but the chests reset.

Just going through the Stronghold again gets you about a half level. Don't forget to flip the switches to open up all the loot behind bars.

Also, right outside the entrance to Bloodshot Stronghold is a named Bad Ass that drops blues and Eridium. If you need Eridium, zone out from the Stronghold and waste the Bad Ass with a sniper rifle (use fire to get through shield easiest). You don't even have to move after zoning out. Zoom and fire. It almost always drops Eridium and you'll get 1/10 level for killing it. Zone back into the Stronghold, save game, zone back and kill bad ass again for more Eridium (sometimes up to 5 pieces 1 and 4 piece drops). Kinda boring but if you need Eridium or just want to kill it once quick to get that final piece you need for an upgrade, it's an easy travel portal there once you've opened up the Stronghold.
On the Second part to "A Dam fine rescue" Roland mission. The boss mech with the mega shield has been kicking my ass. I had to go back and bring some serious firepower to take it down. Hardest boss fight yet with the non stop spawning adds and the boss has a huge regenerating shield so you can't take your time.

The PC version of Borderlands looks better, especially if you have a PhysX capable graphics card, but this game is cartoony and looks fine on consoles (on the 360 I mean, the PS3 has stutter and frame rate issues...what's new!) You can see texture popping on the 360 as it loads the levels.

Don't care much about that for this game. It's not a twitch shooter. It has excellent auto aim built in. If you're having aiming issues, buy a more accurate gun. I'm assuming you can use a 360 controller on the PC version but the argument will probably be about how awesome the keyboard/mouse is. I play this game until I pass out. I'd much rather pass out on my couch than faceplant on my keyboard, hunched over my PC. Plus this game gets intense and the 360 controller can take some abuse. Kinda nice to actually pull a "trigger" than click a mouse button as well. For online, it's 360 version all the way.

We're past due for next gen console performance upgrades but I can deal with it for this game.

Whenever I see kyou post, I think, "Catch a riiiiide!"

'sup Scooter? Your sister's hot.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

If you get in that mech bosses face right away and keep shooting him in the "eye" you can stun lock him and stop him from spawning adds.

I'm at 25, I just did a round of quests in lynchwood, and it was a tough zone, but really good exp.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:If you get in that mech bosses face right away and keep shooting him in the "eye" you can stun lock him and stop him from spawning adds.

I'm at 25, I just did a round of quests in lynchwood, and it was a tough zone, but really good exp.

I used Eridium to expand my Rocket Launcher ammo to 24 and blasted the fuck out of it, first with Shock element launcher to remove the shield and then explosive damage launcher to finish it off. The spawns were nowhere near me. I still had to clean up the bots but used a corrosive SMG I got by tipping Moxxie in sanctuary. If you tip her a crapload more, she gives you a vibrator...well a gun that vibrates when held and then the vibration increases when you zoom in. It's called "Miss Moxxi's Good Touch". The corrosive one is called Miss Moxxi's bad touch. Kinda funny but the vibration is annoying. You can shoot once to get rid of the vibration. Stats are good but don't waste your money unless you have a lot. First weapon took about 15K of tips. I read somewhere that they scale to your level so I'm not sure if it also takes more tips at higher level or not.

I played the slots some in Sanctuary as well. Won some blue weapons and eridium but overall you lose money. Can get some nice weapons though with a chance at Orange. Costs more to play as you level up.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I killed him in like 5 hits with the rocket launcher I wasted my damn golden key on.

I've been tipping moxxi a bit, but haven't got anything yet. I play the slots quite a bit, one of my friends I play with has won the eridium jackpot like 5 times, and everyone in the game gets it, so that's cool, but the best I've done is a blue weapon.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote: I've been tipping moxxi a bit, but haven't got anything yet. I play the slots quite a bit, one of my friends I play with has won the eridium jackpot like 5 times, and everyone in the game gets it, so that's cool, but the best I've done is a blue weapon.

When I'm in town, I load up split screen and have a Commando just sit there. When I play the slots, he gets the Eridium and Money as well. I figure I may as well level up another char so I don't have to do the newbie zone.

What you can do is go to Bloodshot stronghold and kill that Eridium Boss outside the zone door with your second char split screened. The first kill leveled my alt 3 levels. A few kills had him to level 6. It will be even easier for you since your in your 20's or maybe even 30 by now. Just sit your alt at the entrance and go to town in a high level and he'll fly through the levels just sitting there. Plus, your loot drop quality increases with more than one player. Of course, the difficulty of the mobs increases as well with extra players so not something you want to to all the time (that and split screen isn't something you want to be looking at)

Moxxi's higher level SMG is shredding mobs. It has a really high burn/sec rate and I have really high boosts to my burn/per second. It also has a +70% crit damage modifier , very accurate and high damage for an SMG. Nice gun. Might have to pump 50K into the tip jar though to get it, making it a really expensive gun. Great gun for a Siren.

Dying sucks considering you lose a pretty high percentage of your cash each time. That's enough incentive to not try too many stupid things.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sounds like you're getting lots of hours of entertainment. Have you bought it yet!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Sounds like you're getting lots of hours of entertainment. Have you bought it yet!
I bought it the day it came out! Not sure why people would wait to buy this. It's one of the few games worth full price. I don't buy a lot of game because most games I don't play more than 30 minutes. The games I do buy, I put a lot of hours into. Those and some recent MMOs like TERA, Secret World and Guild Wars 2.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kotaku released a list of a bunch of BL2 Easter Eggs you can go after:

http://kotaku.com/5945375/borderlands-2 ... know-about
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Something that's really starting to piss me off about this game, and becomes more obnoxious as the game progresses: things should absolutely under no fucking circumstance run and hide from me when I'm in fight for your life, period. Even worse, fucking ion loaders shouldn't build shields and have everything run into their protection after I go down, I'm the one fucking bleeding out. Seriously shitty design decision.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Try not dying.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Really, that's the best you can do?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

did better than you!

:-({|=
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

:lol:

It's a valid complaint. None of the mon of shot that's attacking me is running from when when I'm running after it, but when I'm bleeding out they all run and hide? It's a corny way to make ffyl tougher.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

hmm, was that autocomplete or hand tremors? :P
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fucking autocomplete. I'm leaving it cause its awesome.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

So I finished my first play through last night. Was pretty fun overall! I didn't get any drops that were worth using, then I leave the boss area and kill a rakk and get a legendary launcher with like 13000 damage, high clip size and rate of fire. I got a chuckle out of that.

Just have the Hyperion dome to do and terramorphis and that's all the side quests done.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote: I leave the boss area and kill a rakk and get a legendary launcher with like 13000 damage, high clip size and rate of fire. I got a chuckle out of that.
What's the fire rate and element? High magazine/fire rate Launchers are great with maxed 27 ammo.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

damage - 4056 x 6
accuracy - 50
fire rate - 1.0
reload speed - 8
magazine size - 6
*red text - Multi Kill* (it shoots out multiple rockets at once, but only consumes one ammo)
explosive damage

Magazine size of 6 might not seem great, but the thing does so damn much damage, most anything will be dead in that time. Rockets are really only something I use for big bosses and such, which this is perfect for since you're guaranteed basically to get 24336 damage every shot on large enemies.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:damage - 4056 x 6
accuracy - 50
fire rate - 1.0
reload speed - 8
magazine size - 6
*red text - Multi Kill* (it shoots out multiple rockets at once, but only consumes one ammo)
explosive damage

Magazine size of 6 might not seem great, but the thing does so damn much damage, most anything will be dead in that time. Rockets are really only something I use for big bosses and such, which this is perfect for since you're guaranteed basically to get 24336 damage every shot on large enemies.

Is that .8 reload or 8? 8 seconds is brutal, on the other hand, .8 is awesome. 6 Magazine isn't bad. anything above 5 I can deal with.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I think it's 8, but like I said, with the damage it doesn't end up mattering much because after a few shots everything in sight is dead!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

A way to make quick money if anyone is interested. After I accidentally bought a $35000 item of the day and spent the rest of my money on rockets for a boss fight cause I didn't know how much they cost, I needed to get some back. Spoiler tagged for minor plot spoiler.
[Show]
there is a guy that appears somewhere in the city 100% of the time before sanctuary goes airborne that will give you a item. His name is Michael mamaril(sp), and he can be in about a half dozen places. I won't list them cause apparently they are different for PCM and consoles, and its easy enough to find a list online. Anyhow, at the beginning of playthrough 2 I've been getting items worth 4-8k from him each time.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:A way to make quick money if anyone is interested. After I accidentally bought a $35000 item of the day and spent the rest of my money on rockets for a boss fight cause I didn't know how much they cost, I needed to get some back. Spoiler tagged for minor plot spoiler.
[Show]
there is a guy that appears somewhere in the city 100% of the time before sanctuary goes airborne that will give you a item. His name is Michael mamaril(sp), and he can be in about a half dozen places. I won't list them cause apparently they are different for PCM and consoles, and its easy enough to find a list online. Anyhow, at the beginning of playthrough 2 I've been getting items worth 4-8k from him each time.
I never paid attention. I thought I was paying for those when I took them from that guy.

BTW, there's no reason to hoard money in BL2. All of your hard work to accumulate money goes down the drain with a few deaths since the money it costs for a res is a fixed percentage of your money.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Well not hoard it, but I like to have at least around 75k. In tougher areas on the second playthrough it hasn't been tough to burn through 20k in ammo pretty quick, and any items worth buying from vending machines are 30k plus at this point.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:Well not hoard it, but I like to have at least around 75k. In tougher areas on the second playthrough it hasn't been tough to burn through 20k in ammo pretty quick, and any items worth buying from vending machines are 30k plus at this point.

Yeah, I meant, there's no reason to spend time accumulating money at low levels because death just zaps it away. If it was a set amount you lose at a specific level then it wouldn't be so bad but the more money you make, the more you lose as it stands.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Completed the arena last night with four people. To be honest, I was pretty underwhelmed. We wiped a couple times on the second wave, then we reconfigured our weapon choices and blew through it effortlessly. The weapon, I am guessing, was level specific, but was pretty badass. As an assassin, though, I have little use for a 18000dmg rocket launcher. :( 5 waves is weak.
Fuck Michigan!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah we've done 2 of the three with similar results. Difference being, I'm ok with it being short(er). I never got all the achievements for the first game because of the unnecessarily long arenas, and it kinda bugged me.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

We used it as a mindless escape for grinding through the endless side quests (we are completionists! (the side quest of killing the Irish wake to make them go to war with the Hodunks was just perfect)). With four people going at it, an hour of arena'ing was a bit weak. The arena in the first one was great due to the length. It took us a solid night to take care of it all. If they at least switched up the enemies enough to make you reconsider your strat, that would be ok. I just stood in a corner and sniped everything with a slag sniper rifle, while my other team mates taunted/close combatted for easy kills. Some of the super badasses were tricky, but it could've been harder.
Fuck Michigan!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Well I think it would have been harder had we done it at the appropriate level, but I think I was 34 and my buddies were around 26&29, and the arenas are like 24-26. I'm sure there will be longer ones put in with dlc, though

2+ hour long arenas that require multiple people and can't be paused are just a bit much for this type of game, imo. Makes it feel like a mmo raid, which isn't a good thing.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Little bit of second playthrough advice, especially if you're playing solo.

I was trying to save all side quests for playthrough 2.5, but that leaves you under leveled for the main story. I'd do all the quests that just give money and eridium rewards prior to sanctuary going airborne. I'm level 40 now and I'm at the story mission where you have to kill the big thresher thing that ate the beacon, and I can't do it solo. Add to that I can't access sanctuary for side quests and I'm left grinding out a few levels.

Keep in mind, item rewards are scaled to the level you accept the quest at, so if you accept it at 40 and wait til 50 to complete it, you're still getting a level 40 reward.