Borderlands 2 (360/PS3/PC)

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Borderlands 2 (360/PS3/PC)

Post by Winnow »

I couldn't resist giving this a try a few days before release so I grabbed the 360 version off the internetz.

I played for about an hour. Very briefly:

It's everything Borderlands was but better. Super addicting. They fine tuned the game and threw in some new stuff, cross character stat buff achievements, etc but didn't mess with the core of the game. You'll appreciate the enhancements but the the winning formula remains the same.

I tried out the Gunzerker but I hadn't even gained one skill point in the first hour so it's not like the class mattered yet. One thing I really miss from my siren is my phasewalking shield to take out those damn flying Rakks. With my old Siren, as soon as I was dive bombed I'd hit phasewalk and however many Rakks attacking me were dead from the shield damage. I suck at shooting flying stuff.

The game checked my saved games to see that I completed the original Borderlands and I was awarded an extra skin (head/outfit) for each class. I'll lose that when I buy the game as I don't have that save on my LIVE active console. I'm going to pre-order it so I can get the extra Mechromancer class.

Edit: nm, can't pre-order and get in store pick up with either Game Stop or Best Buy. I'll just buy it on Tuesday at Fry's and buy the Mechromancer DLC. The "Golden Key" and Special weapons with pre order are no big deal. Golden Key just gives you a random purple weapon scaled to your level when you choose to use the key. Nice, but it's not like you don't get plenty of other purples eventually.

I really like the skill challenge achievement system that awards stat boosts for completing various things. Within an hour I had three or four of them already. Each one boosts something by 1% (shields strength, shield regen speed, accuracy, reload times, total health, fire rate, ammo capacity, etc etc etc. There's a ton of them. I'm not sure the max % you can get in each category but even if it's +5% in all categories, that's a nice boost and it automatically transfers to all of your characters. I created a Siren just to see and sure enough, those skill challenge bonuses were already in place when she popped into the world. Nice. I can't remember if you could have more than one character in the original but you can in BL2.

I got sucked right back into comparing weapon stats. Loot drops like mad but you know that from the first Borderlands and there's storage lockers/chests/piles of shit etc all over the place if you explore. I think they made picking up money a little easier. On some non chest drops you just need to move your cursor over the items to loot them.

Monsters are a little smarter and have some "hops" Even the first mobs I was facing threw shit at me. By hops, I mean that I was on an upper ridge firing down at some mobs and they were able to jump up to my position. I think it may have just been the type of mob it was. Anyway, the battles were fun and intense right from the start. Fight for your life is new. It's very similar to Guild Wars 2's fight for your life system.

The class ability trees seem cool. Just about everything seemed interesting and I didn't see an obvious skill tree that was better than another. I'm curious as to how Phaselocking will be as opposed to Phasewalking with the original Siren. All four classes look like fun and I'm curious as to how the Mechromancer will turn out as the fifth class.

This game really doesn't need anyone to sell them on it. It's a 100% buy if you liked Borderlands. The fun/entertainment factor is so god damned high in this game. Local CO-OP is back as well as four man online teaming. Single player, CO-OP, Online, RPG/FPS = bad ass game. The story/humor is what you would expect from Borderlands. Not much story but fun and funny.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Borderlands 2 (360/PS3/PC)

Post by Winnow »

I give Borderlands 2 the prestigious, "play 'til you puke" award

This game is so much fun and addicting that the slight motion sickness I get from it builds up to the point where I'm near throwing up, head is pounding, and it's a tough call between killing the next few mobs or resting my head for a few minutes to keep on playing. That feeling gradually eased up as I played more...and more...and more.

I got my Siren to level 11, which took quite a lot of time over the weekend to get to, so I could get an idea of how the skills are. Phaselocking turns out to be just as great as Phasewalking, and more useful for my style of play which is sniping and then watching them BURN through my scope so I can use it from a distance (as well as up close if needed). Situations get chaotic. They've added a few things that prevent you from sitting back and sniping all the time so you need to be prepared and definitely have more than one type element/damage weapon.

The way the original Borderlands (previously playable) characters are integrated into the story is cool. Lilith still kicks as. Lilith Phaswalking and me Phaselocking = Phaseawesomeness.

Outstanding flow to the game.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

=P~
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I wasn't planning to, but I'm going to the midnight release tonight, I can't wait!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Too many games to play already. I think I'll wait on the GOTY edition for this.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Aslanna wrote:Too many games to play already. I think I'll wait on the GOTY edition for this.
Me too. Also, I'll be moving soon and will not have time to play anything really.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Get your priorities straight! Borderlands comes before all other games! I even got a week ahead on my homework so I could play a bunch and not feel guilty :)
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I can't believe anybody would wait to buy this game. It's the kind of game that brings childhood around for a good, long while. It looks to be hilarious as well, which I am becoming exceedingly convinced is one of the most important parts of a game.

Later on, the DLC needs to be excruciatingly difficult. At that point, this will be one of the best console games ever made.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Leonaerd wrote:I can't believe anybody would wait to buy this game.
Believe it!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

That's just crazy talk. Put those games where they belong (in the $5 bin!) and play a quality game! Share in the excitement!

Weeeee!

Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

It is going to be a rough week. Have it pre-ordered (which believe it or not is the first game I have EVER ore-ordered) and my co-op buddies can't be on until Wednesday. So Wednesday night I will get to hit it for 4-5 hours and then have to get up and go to work. Took Friday off so once I get home Thurs it should be a good solid 10-12 hour marathon of Borderlands goodness.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Second game I have actually ever preordered (Mass Effect 2 was the first). I am going back and forth on hitting the midnight release, but will most likely do it. My co op buddies are all ready to go for tomorrow. Wednesday will be HELL at work. I may not make it in.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zamtuk wrote:Second game I have actually ever preordered (Mass Effect 2 was the first). I am going back and forth on hitting the midnight release, but will most likely do it. My co op buddies are all ready to go for tomorrow. Wednesday will be HELL at work. I may not make it in.

It really will be hell. I was a zombie today after a long session yesterday. Your focus/brain activity is high in this game. You're constantly crunching numbers and pouring over loot stats and comparing them. You have to be on your toes all the time. The battles are intense. There is no small battle, the agro range in BL2 is HUGE. (Kinda nice for sniping as you take out one mob in a camp and the entire camp eventually comes at you so you can pick them off if you're fast enough...but even then it's intense as you know you're going to have a shitload of stuff coming at you. The new fight for your life is great. It's not overpowered but is just enough to save you once in awhile.

BL2 doesn't feel grindy at all. So far I've been all over the place seeing new stuff, doing various crap. The comments from the quest givers at the beginning and during your quests are funny. The storyline missions are long. I've already used Eridium to expand my inventory twice. I'm pretty sure your Bank Vault shares between your characters (Weapons and other drops/Money/Eridium) Be prepared for a lengthy run when you start a story mission. It's satisfying getting to the end. Been desperate for ammo a time or two but mostly the game is spot on for balancing ammo. It would suck if ammo wasn't a concern.

I've got some great weapons I"m going to miss after I restart tomorrow.

GOTY
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

My math teacher snuck in a few extra assignments, sp I'm being responsible and going to bed instead of going to the midnight release. I'll do my homework when I get up, then I'll have 5 or 6 hours to play before class!

I haven't been this excited about a game release in a long time. This is a game where pre ordering (specifically at GameStop as you get several in game additions that you don't get elsewhere, including some kind of battle arena) pays off. You get in game stuff that you'd likely end up paying extra for if you're really into the game.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I haven't been this excited about a game release in a long time.
Ditto.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Is this on Steam, or do I need to order it? Perhaps 360?
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

It's on steam.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I would go into Gamestop. If you go on release day you can usually grease the clerk out of the preorder codes. I am playing this on PC, and they cleverly printed the codes on the receipt, so that plan may be out of the window. Xbox is still a coupon I believe. I went at midnight for the excitement, went home, and promptly fell asleep before even opening the package. Fuck, I am getting old. I am dodging out of work super early to get a head start tonight. My gchat has been blowing up at work with my buddies discussing tactics and general excitement over the night to come.
Fuck Michigan!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah the preorder codes from Gamestop are on the receipt (for the 360.)

Played for about an hour today, awesome! I'll be back at it after class in a couple hours!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I don't like going to video game stores...they always want to sell me additional crap, like insurance, etc. AMAZON YO!
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Canelek wrote:I don't like going to video game stores...they always want to sell me additional crap, like insurance, etc. AMAZON YO!
You're free to say "No!"!

--
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Since steam is a heaping pile of shit, I have some free time. Zer0 is greatness. Though, I am WAY too happy on my katana. I usually run in and get promptly raped trying to slash everything. Must be patient, they said. Power will come, they said.
Fuck Michigan!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Zamtuk wrote:Since steam is a heaping pile of shit, I have some free time. Zer0 is greatness. Though, I am WAY too happy on my katana. I usually run in and get promptly raped trying to slash everything. Must be patient, they said. Power will come, they said.
:lol:
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Had a blast last night playing it. Started off a commando and joined into a game with folks from my xbox live friends. the game I jumped into had 3/4 commandoes and a gunzerker to I dropped out and started a level 1 Siren in a game with 3 Level 5-6 people. Wasn't pretty but after about 10-15 minutes I was close to caught up on levels and started holding my own. Diversity helps.

Looking forward to playing somemore.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I was dying a lot, playing with my real life boss. I need a bigger tv. Missed out on a lot of money from selling loot that I didn't know I missed. 10/10
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I played with two buddies last night. I'm siren and they're soldier/zero. Works well!

Did anyone else notice probably 8/10 gun drops was a fucking shotgun? Maybe the three of us just had bad luck. I'm not a fan of being out of ammo constantly, but I'm hoping that gets better at higher levels.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I managed to get my new Siren back to level 10 last night. Seems I missed a lot of loot chests on my first pass. I even missed a few port-o-potty loots.

My weapon drops were'nt quite as good so I'm glad I knew what was coming for the first few bosses. Having an "invulnerable to flame" shield sure helps vs Flynnt!

For the Siren class, things really kick in around level 9 or so, and then especially around level 11 if you are able to start building the Helios skill (Phaselock also AOE burns at that point).

Playing solo so far, I really like the Siren setup focused on fire/burn. DOT burns and AOE burns, Burn causing shields all help when things get chaotic. Fire (or any element) DOTs are huge for sniping as you sometimes only get off one good shot and and then you can let the DOT burn finish them off.

Been using Sniper Rifle/burn, Pistol/burn and then an assault rifle/explosive dmg for those fire resistant mobs. Shield has burn spike damage with burn damage to melee. I think having some sort of shield that actively damages melee helps a lot. With an active melee damage shield, I can ignore Rakks as they kill themselves by dive bombing my shield.

Regarding the comment about shotguns dropping a lot, It's completely random. I can confirm this from my second 1-10 level campaign. Even the Port o potty loots change. They will have all shields, gun type, etc. but not the same. The only thing that remained exactly the same was the drop off Flynnt. (specfic stats boss weapon drop, named weapon)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

No dots for me here on the siren. For grouping I'll probably go down the middle tree and the one on the left, and solo i'll probably just not put points into the middle tree. I'm going for raw damage modifier skills over elemental when I can.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:No dots for me here on the siren. For grouping I'll probably go down the middle tree and the one on the left, and solo i'll probably just not put points into the middle tree. I'm going for raw damage modifier skills over elemental when I can.
Best thing about BL1/2 is that you can play your class completely different than someone else. Replay factor is high trying different classes and even with the same class.

For groups, I really want to be able to shoot my own team to heal them. That sounds like fun!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:No dots for me here on the siren. For grouping I'll probably go down the middle tree and the one on the left, and solo i'll probably just not put points into the middle tree. I'm going for raw damage modifier skills over elemental when I can.
Best thing about BL1/2 is that you can play your class completely different than someone else. Replay factor is high trying different classes and even with the same class.

For groups, I really want to be able to shoot my own team to heal them. That sounds like fun!
Yeah, and the insta-res you can get by using your phaselock on them is pretty awesome too. Definitely a lot of group utility, which judging by the difficulty of this game compared to the first is going to be necessary.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I am completely splitting my certs on Sniping and Bloodshed with Zer0. Deception is just too fun not to put tons of points into melee. And sniping with complete hand steadiness is so clutch. I love popping one bandit in the face then picking them all off one at a time. Also, killing Rakks is a sweet reminder of how awesome Duck Hunt was.

Through level 10, not one SMG drop. The siren in our group is not pleased. I've been getting pistols galore, and I am still using that shit wooden sniper rifle from that quest reward. However, through sniping certs I am getting near 1000 damage crits. God I love this game.

Butt Stallion.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

From reading reviews it seems ammo isn't all that common so you can run out frequently. What good is having all those guns if you don't have ammo! Seems like that could have been a better design decision (if true). Seems like more emphasis was put on co-op and multiplayer than single player.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Aslanna wrote:From reading reviews it seems ammo isn't all that common so you can run out frequently. What good is having all those guns if you don't have ammo! Seems like that could have been a better design decision (if true)
Ammo is ridiculously common but base ammo capacity is not very high,
Maybe those reviewers should have spent some of their Badass Points to increase their ammo capacity instead of crying about it.

I figured this out about 30 minutes into the game.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Considering they spent 50 hours playing (according to the review) I'll take their 'crying' over your observations at this point. Perhaps higher levels things aren't quite so common. You don't know!

Pretty sure they specifically say they had ammo capacity maxed and still were running out of ammo too frequently.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

OK, I'm gonna continue playing and enjoying the game.

You can continue to criticize it based on what you read about it in reviews.

Cheers!
:)
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Aslanna wrote:From reading reviews it seems ammo isn't all that common so you can run out frequently. What good is having all those guns if you don't have ammo! Seems like that could have been a better design decision (if true). Seems like more emphasis was put on co-op and multiplayer than single player.
It's not really as bad people here are making it sound. In fact, I think it's a great system. Let's analyze:

1) There are several types of ammo. If you're running out of assault rifle ammo, you probably still have a backup SMG to survive with. This adds a superb feel to the every-shot-matters rhetoric, and doesn't overdo it since you will likely never run out of ammo for all 6 (?) ammo types.
2) There is a lot of ammo in crates that people simply aren't finding. Areas are much more detailed in BL2 and it's easy to skip over a crate with two clips of SMG ammo.
3) There are a lot of gunfights close to ammo-resupply shops. If you don't back-track a few feet to utilize the vendors after a big gunfight, you're not thinking survival!

Honestly I'm surprised you made this comment. You're from EQ - you should be able to appreciate how difficulty impacts how enjoyable a game is. If ammo wasn't an issue, it would take a big chunk away from the thought you have to put into some crucial decisions: what gun to use, what backup gun to use, what backup-to-backup guns are in your inventory, how to allocate skill points and money, how carefully to aim.... you get the idea.

Edit:
Considering they spent 50 hours playing (according to the review) I'll take their 'crying' over your observations at this point. Perhaps higher levels things aren't quite so common. You don't know!
:?

Reviewers aren't playing the game the same way. Just get the game already. =P
Last edited by Leonaerd on September 19, 2012, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:OK, I'm gonna continue playing and enjoying the game.

You can continue to criticize it based on what you read about it in reviews.
Not really sure I was criticizing but have fun!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:From reading reviews it seems ammo isn't all that common so you can run out frequently. What good is having all those guns if you don't have ammo! Seems like that could have been a better design decision (if true). Seems like more emphasis was put on co-op and multiplayer than single player.

Ammo is just enough of an issue to make you be aware of it. I think it would suck to always have ammo. It's kinda cool to be in a huge firefight and be swapping weapons (up to four weapons equipped at higher levels). It makes for intense fights when you're down to your last few bullets.

As for SMGs dropping, I don't think they do until level 8+ or so. I haven't seen any lower level SMGs. That's the thing with Sirens. they have the nice stat boosts for SMGs but I don't use normally ...I take advantage of the burn chance/burn damage increase boost items. An SMG with high burning % is pretty nasty though.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

My brother hilariously runs out of ammo on the Gunzerker (we are all level 10/11). He blazes in with dual shotguns ripping through the first half of bad guys, then runs back cursing heavily over voice chat. However, using automatic shotguns in Gunzerker mode will cause that. He never has a problem reloading after the fight. I on the other hand, have never ran out of ammo. Granted, I snipe everything with a pulse, and need be, I will run into battle with my flaming paintball pistol (!!!), and use deception to carve up some bad men. Goddamn this game gets better every time I talk about it! But shot location has a lot to do with ammo. As said earlier, the smarter ones never have a problem.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Meh. Broke down and ordered for 360. Now I just remembered I need to subscribe again. Maybe there will be a free 30 day trial. Oh how I do not like paying for subs. :) I am sure it is cheap, however.
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Should have went PS3. Free online gaming!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:Meh. Broke down and ordered for 360. Now I just remembered I need to subscribe again. Maybe there will be a free 30 day trial. Oh how I do not like paying for subs. :) I am sure it is cheap, however.
Yeah I have it for 360 but dont have active Gold Acct atm. Didn't need one for Dragon Dogma! Amazone has cards for 48.00/year. I saw 39.00 for card as well on Amazon but company looked shady.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Aslanna wrote:Should have went PS3. Free online gaming!
Would have, nut most folks I know went 360. So...totally peer pressure. It may be old and noisy, but this game needs co-op for sustained enjoyment; at least for me. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Make new friends!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Playing BL2 with a PS3 controller might cause permanent crab-hand damage. 360 version for the controller and best online.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

360 is the only console for multiplayer. If the ps4 has a comparable party system, party chat (cross game), and a better UI for friends/online stuff, I might change my tune, but until then.

About to play again now until I can't keep my eyes open!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Last night I did a mission that involved Roland from the original series. It was tough solo. I didn't have the proper element weapon for the situation and had to use some cheap pistol through most of the fights. Ammo supply was tight as I had to pump a shitload of bullets to kill mobs. I definitely upped the difficulty rating for that part by not being prepared. Now that I've expanded my inventory a bit, I'm going to store a couple alternative element weapons as backups.

Phaselock is a huge savior when it comes to taking out flying stuff. Guided missles and Buzzards (helicopters) were kicking the crap out of me but there's no range on Phaselock (you can actually phaselock someone from across a zone using a sniper scope) Fortunately, phaselock doesn't trigger unless you actually lock something so you can spam it until you lock on without having to worry about skill cool down reset.

I loved Borderlands in CO-OP but am playing BL2 solo so far and it's been a blast as well, and challenging. Some of the bosses are a real bitch to kill, at least solo.

Eridium has been coming pretty steady. I've upped my Sniper Ammo capacity three times (started at 48 rounds, currently 84) so far and expanded my inventory a few times. Make sure you check all those little boxes around Sanctuary. You can find $4 Eridum sometimes.

This game doesn't help when it comes to stopping for the night. The missions are fun and long. It never really feels like you should be stopping.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

My 3 buddies and I wandered in to this badass nomad camp 2 levels higher than we were while looking for Bonerfarts. We then engaged in a crazy 10 minute fight with every last one of us down to our last few bullets. I was on the high ground sniping all the adds, which at 3 levels higher, you had to make the shot count. The badasses kept coming from seemingly everywhere, and we were scrambling around like fucking crazy. Strategies were made on the fly, and with us having one of each class, we had to rely on each others strengths. I was using deception just to run and grab more ammo out of the chests and one of us always seemed to be dying constantly. Playing Zer0, I actually had to rely on cutting throats as I ran out of sniper and pistol ammo. Afterwards, we all agreed that the fight basically justified the cost of the game.

Naturally, upon returning to town to collect the rewards, we got to unlock the black market and up our ammo supply.

Fuckers.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I hadn't done a lot of the side quests and the story missions were pretty tough. I've cleaned up all the side quests now, so ill see if that changes anything.

I can't remember the bosses name that you fight to free Roland, but if wasn't for me not paying attention and spending one of my golden keys (I got a purple rocket launcher) it would have been ridiculously hard.

I haven't found the black market to spend eridium yet, but think I've got around 50.