Interesting chart.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Re: Apple - New Phone and Tablet

Post by Animalor »

2009 was the breakout year for the category. I'm sure you'll acree with me that NOTHING can sustain a 600% yoy growth.

The fact that it grew 5% still over last year's retarded sales numbers doesn't mean the category is hurting at all.

If the yoy numbers were in the negative, THAT would be a cause for concern.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

! lol
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

more info on the new iPhone HD:

http://gizmodo.com/5536912/another-lost ... ew-details

Looks good. Can't wait to replace my poky 3G with the speedy new A4 based iPhone.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Yup. I'm looking forward to the upgrade as well. This time I will protect it better with one of those plastic case things. I like the Invisa-Shield screen film shit, so will use that again.

Perhaps a Wii leash may be in order as I tend to drop the damn thing often. Down to 1 functional speaker!
en kærlighed småkager
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

iPhone/iPad is just a fad.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Aslanna wrote:iPhone/iPad is just a fad.

iFad? :)

iPhones are iRad! I just don't have a iUse for a iPad.
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

you could always just bounce it off the ground like you do with your iPhone!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hack the iPad!

As with the iPhone, someone is posting every iPap app cracked to the newsgroups on a weekly basis. I downloaded the past 2 weeks (about 9 GB total). (search for "Dadude" in Supersearch) As opposed to the iPhone apps, the iPad Apps are separated neatly into folders (Education, Games, Social, Books, etc) making it easy to wade through all of them to test out.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Just screwing around with new iPhone/iPad screentaker that frames the screenshots with iPhone or iPad border.

This is how VV looks when first loaded. As with the iPhone screens. The size appears larger on your monitor due to your monitor's inferior pixel density! (looks correct on a 27" iMac screen!) This will lead into how crisp the new iPhone HD will look with double the pixel count while keeping the same size screen.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Apple > :vv_bj3: < Winnow

That is all
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote: The size appears larger on your monitor due to your monitor's inferior pixel density! (looks correct on a 27" iMac screen!) This will lead into how crisp the new iPhone HD will look with double the pixel count while keeping the same size screen.
Looks about how I'd expect the LD (low-def) Ipad would look.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The iPad is freaking awesome. However, I may switch to the Evo phone next month.

Anyone that doesn't like the iPad either hasn't tried it or sucks cock by choice.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Nice article on how Google is catching up to Apple and passing them...EVO!

http://gizmodo.com/5543794/google-is-leapfrogging-apple
Google Is Leapfrogging Apple

Google is done playing catch-up. Today they're setting the agenda: With Android Froyo, Google TV, mobile ads and streaming media, Google isn't just matching Apple—they're taking the lead.

The Google I/O conference has been dizzyingly dense, with announcements from nearly every corner of Google's ever-expanding apparatus. The meatiest news comes direct from Google's most intense battlefronts: Android Froyo (version 2.2); a bevy of clever new cloud services; and a mobile ad platform paired with Google TV marching into battle with competing products from Microsoft, and much more pointedly, Apple.

Google's last 18 months have been a period of frantic catchup, in which we saw Android reach feature parity with iPhone OS, the Android Market explode, and Google's confidence slowly build. Apple had been setting the terms of the battle, baiting Google into action. The competition was fierce, but the fight was on Apple's terms.

Google's tired of that. In the space of two days, they've leapfrogged Apple spectacularly: They've matched Apple's mobile OS in predictable ways, and embarrassed it in others (Flash on mobiles may not be as horrific as Apple has implied); they've invaded the living room with a dedication and vigor that makes Apple TV look like a jokey experiment; they've steamrolled the mobile ad market with as solid a platform as Apple's and, more importantly, hundreds of thousands of advertisers; they've taken massive steps into the cloud, and into streaming—the kind of stuff nerds talk about, but didn't expect to see so soon.

"We discovered something cool: It's called the internet."

We've spilled a lot of ink over Android's lack of media syncing, and what seemed like an half-assed online sync system. The pieces just didn't add up to a whole. There was no need to sync to a desktop for most of your data, but there was no easy, slick way to transfer media. Apps were handled exclusively on the phones' App Market apps, which was a pain. The experience was broken, so people complained. Why couldn't we just have an iTunes-style app, at least?

Well, now we know. With Android Froyo, apps are synced wirelessly between your desktop web browser and your phone, music is streamed from your home PC to your handset over 3G, and instructions—map directions, search terms, web pages and potential all kinds of other stuff—can be zapped to your handset from a desktop browser. Sync as Apple defines it suddenly looks tired and clumsy. The new sync is instant, it's less redundant, it makes sense. And the new sync belongs to Google.
It's the Ads, Stupid

Aside from the requisite technical hiccups, Google's presentation today was surprisingly assured. And never was it more assured than during the AdSense mobile presentation. Here we saw Google reveal something a lot like what Jobs showed with iAds, right down to the "users don't like to leave their apps" mantra.

But Apple's presentation was about a new ad platform, which let's be frank: Ugh. You've got a pretty framework for ads, Apple? Users don't care because, well, we hate ads. Devs weren't too excited, because Apple's system was new, unproven and, well, not terribly interesting.

Google's presentation was more shrewd: They didn't have to linger on the mechanism of the ads, because for Google, AdSense mobile is just a bridge for their hundreds of thousands of preexisting advertisers, to every phone the company touches. When focusing on these gadget and product side of things, it's easy to forget that Google is foremost an advertising company. Apple can present pretty ad platforms all they want, but Google has a proven record of selling.
Apple TV, Blindsided

Apple TV withered not for lack of potential, but for lack of ambition. It's as if Apple decided to invade our living rooms, built the box they need to do it, then gave up when it wasn't a wild, immediate success. In doing so, they squandered a multi-year head start.

Google TV is a markedly different product than Apple TV—more like TiVo's latest box than Apple's crippled Mac Mini—but that's only because Google is taking a much more aggressive tack. Instead of a single box to supplement your TV, Google wants to take it over. They want to combine TV and the internet in a real way, not with token widgets or content stores. They want app devs, hardware partners, content partners and search traffic, which for us, translates to apps, tons of hardware choices, a multitude of viewing options and a real window to the internet. Where Apple TV had iTunes, Google TV will have Amazon, Netflix, YouTube and Hulu. Where Apple TV had a walled-off repository of downloaded, paid content, Google will have a massive selection of content, free and paid, complementing your regular TV channels, not stubbornly isolated from them.
Google Comes of Age

In the past, Google has always been late to the party—and they rarely outpaced Apple. The iPhone set the tone and terms for the mobile wars, with iTunes and the App Store looming large over every newcomer, including Android. Apple TV came out in 2007. The iPad is the standard to which every new tablet will be measured. Through their successes, Apple has defined a vision: It's a company that loves control, that changed the meaning and importance of "apps," and which sees itself dominating nearly every aspect of its users' technological lives. It's a vision that ignores the cloud, except when it can't. And it's a vision that has an expiration date.

Google, too, has a hunger for domination, but they've finally got vision of their own to accompany it: A vision of cellphones and desktops connected seamlessly—revolutionarily, magically—over the internet; a vision of media that streams when you need it, and disappears when you don't; a vision that sees TV as an extension of the internet, not simply a dumb screen.

Google's got a ton of work to do. Android is fragmented, and huge share of the handsets people own today will never take advantage of Froyo's new features. Any new TV product takes years to filter into the average living room. Media streaming is an inevitability, but the infrastructure isn't there to fully realize it, and what Google showed off today doesn't address everything. (The is no video component to their new Simplify Media-based music streaming software, for now.) But listening to Google's newly emboldened Vic Gundotra after a particularly uninspired series of Jobsnotes, peering into each company's future, I see Google stepping out ahead—and with one impressive lead.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Wireless synching would be great. I hate iTunes, cords, and having to be at a specific computer.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Wireless synching would be great. I hate iTunes, cords, and having to be at a specific computer.
You can wirelessly sync now if you have a jailbroken device:

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/71 ... cydia.html

It's Mac only so far though.

With surveys indicating sky-high customer satisfaction and large, growing demand, Apple's gamble with the iPad seems to be paying off richly. New estimates suggest that Apple is selling more iPads than Macs - with 200,000 sold every week, almost as many iPads as iPhones - and the number continues to grow as demand remains high. Meanwhile, new iPad owners report what one pollster calls "nose-bleed satisfaction numbers" as high as 91%.
iFad indeed!

The only people that don't like the iPad are those that haven't tried it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I went ahead and pre-ordered an HTC EVO from Radio Shack today. I walked in and placed 50.00 on a gift card which reserve the phone for a June 4th Pick up. All I have to do is pay the remainder of the 499.00 no contract price and I can walk out the door without a contract. (It's 199.00 with a two year contract)

I wanted to play around with Android and this looked like the coolest phone to try stuff out on.

HTC Sense can be turned on or off so can use stock Android OS if desired. Froyo (Android 2.2) should be out by mid July.

If I like it enough, I'll maybe cancel my AT&T but if the iPhone HD is too cool, I'll stick with them. Sprint's 4G service won't be in Phoenix area until 1st Quarter 2011.

Here's a short video demo'ing a few features of the phone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnPYLGnTORI
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I like the bigger screen and better camera, but meh to the rest.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The iPad feels less like a computer than any computing device I've ever owned. I still use it every single day. I have DLed a bunch of work related apps like anatomy charts and ICD9 coding programs. The computers were down for 2 hours the other day. All of my fellow coders sat on their hands while I was able to finish my work for the day. Towards the end of the shift they were all gathered around my desk and we just passed it back and forth between the 5 of us looking up codes. Every single one of them wants one now. Even the 55 yr old computer shy woman was in awe at how the iPad works and is planning on buying one for her birthday in a couple of weeks.

I've read 4 books since I bought this thing, which is pretty cool. Even if I didn't use it for work, general surfing, watching movies, or reading, my kids alone have earned every penny spent on the device. There are all sorts of learning and drawing apps that enthrall them. As a parent, that is priceless!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The iPad is truly badass.

I have it by my bed, turn it on in the morning, and have my stock info in seconds while I'm still blurry eyed laying in bed. I'm still amazed at how fast it is. The speaker works great. Usability is the key. It's so damn easy to do anything on it with no waiting around. That Air Video app you posted awhile back is excellent Fair. Netflix, ABC App, etc all highly polished and fast. (ok Netflix UI needs a little work but the actual streaming is outstanding and there's already been two updates to both Netflix and Air Video.

Where the iPhone is OK for web browsing, the iPad is fucking awesome with it's size and speed, combined with the intelligent zooming. I even used Apples Pages app to create a document the other day and it went well, easy to type on the large keypad in portrait or landscape.

I may or may not switch to an Android phone but there's no way in hell I'd give up the iPad. I'm thinking Xmas presents will be iPads this year. I can agree that this is somewhat a luxury item but if you have the cash, it's a guaranteed winner.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Most of the issues with the iPad have been resolved for me and have been my fault, being a long time PC user. There's one thing I just can't get - the syncing of pictures. My girlfriend uses her iPad as a demo tool to prospective customers (she's a photographer) and the syncing of pics as it's built into iTunes is just retarded. You can't just straight copy pictures onto the iPad, you have to sync them - which means erasing any pictures on the iPad that aren't also in the sync folder on your computer. What gives? Anything I'm just not getting here?
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:Most of the issues with the iPad have been resolved for me and have been my fault, being a long time PC user. There's one thing I just can't get - the syncing of pictures. My girlfriend uses her iPad as a demo tool to prospective customers (she's a photographer) and the syncing of pics as it's built into iTunes is just retarded. You can't just straight copy pictures onto the iPad, you have to sync them - which means erasing any pictures on the iPad that aren't also in the sync folder on your computer. What gives? Anything I'm just not getting here?
No, you're correct. Photo syncing is retarded using iTunes.

Turn off syncing for photos in iTunes s it will ignore that part of the sync'ing process.

Is it a lot of pictures? You can always email yourself the pictures, open the mail using your iPad then save it to your iPad photos that way. Thinking along those lines...Your GF could load the image to a gallery online and then access that gallery with the iPad and then save the images to the iPad.

In iTunes, you can use the Photos Tab and designate various folders that should be sync'd. Would creating a special folder that you drop images into and then sync work? iTunes allows you to pick and choose which folders should be sync'd.

What I would recommend is using Dropbox. I've used it to easily share files with non techy people.

Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/

It's also easy to setup shared folders using dropbox that two (or more) people can access, making it very easy to share files between two people.

I believe dropbox is free up to 2GB limit. This is all wireless via the net.

iPad version:

https://www.dropbox.com/ipad

I read that the latest version allows you to export images to your photo gallery on the iPad which would be the key feature in your case.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Yeah, it's a lot of pics unfortunately. She has 6-7 gigs worth at all times, since she uses it to present ideas / examples of her work to clients. It gets cumbersome transfering pics via dropbox when it's that size (and when you have shitty upload like we do)...

Oh, and the online gallery won't work since she doesn't have a 3G version so she'd be dependant on wifi availability to show her portfolio.

Thanks though! :)
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I just googled iPad file manager.

this came up:

http://www.ipad-videoconverter.org/ipad ... nager.html

Im not sure if that's worth it or not or even is it's a good app.

Although not the best, syncing folders using iTunes worked for me.

I put about 1,200 images on my iPad that included about 20 folders.

Check the box: Sync Photos from: (after selecting you iPad device in iTunes and selecting the Photos Tab)

Browse to the folder that holds your images it only reads one directory deep so /Photos/PhotoAlbum1, 2,3,4,5 (select "photos" and it will rea the other folders inside as long as not more than one deep...no more subfolders under that)

It uploaded all of my images, including maintaining the subfolders, so for example. I selected my Luis Royo art folder which contained about 20 separate folders of art galleries. On my iPad I see 20 separate folders when I select PHOTOS.

Does the sync'ing take a long time due to the size of the images? I don't add and delete photos so iTunes sync doesnt spend any time syncing photos. I suppose it just checks to see that my folder contents haven't changed and moves on. I don't even see it mentioned during the sync process.

Picture viewing on the iPad is hella fast/smooth.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow is getting buck teeth that match the callouses he's putting on Jobs' knob.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote:Winnow is getting buck teeth that match the callouses he's putting on Jobs' knob.
Ah, perceptions. I'll be having fun with my EVO Android phone tomorrow while you grow old stressing over company conspiracies. As witnessed on the Android thread, you're incapable of enjoying quality products from any source.

Go where the best product is or inch closer to death wasting time worrying about the little things.

-Power: PC/Windows 7, got it
-Tablet: iPad, no competition, awesome product (fun watching the competition scramble so far behind)
-Phone: Toss up between Apple OS and Android, I'll know more soon , owning both
-Console: 360, hands down best. PS3, limited use, reluctantly own. Wii, useless low res piece of crap

The lower you go on the list, the more important ease of use becomes. For the PC, I could give a shit. I'll tweak it to my liking. For Phone/Consoles, I want them to work with little fuss. There will be room in the tablet market for a Windows based tablet for business. iPad is a multimedia consumption device primarily. For Drolgin's GF and others using it for business, I can see why there would be some challenges. It's really not designed for that although with some effort, could be made very useful in that area as well.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I got sick of waiting for the cloak, so went ahead and got the macally iPad case (in black). I'm going to New York in a couple of weeks and I'll be damned if I'm going to carry my iPad around in the box it came in!

It's gotten good reviews. Certianly better than the Apple one.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

In a bit of news from the "go-figure" department, Gizmodo is reporting that Apple has refused to answer its request to attend the company's big Worldwide Developers Conference keynote this Monday.

The apparent snub has left the tech blog in a bit of a predicament—according to Editorial Director Brian Lam, Gizmodo is going to use the liveblogging of a number of other sources to construct its own, well, liveblog, of the WWDC keynote instead of its planned, "we're actually there" coverage.

This comes a few days after San Mateo County authorities announced that a "special master" had been appointed to assist in the search of Gizmodo editor Jason Chen's belongings: goods seized as part of a police investigation into the disappearance (and Gizmodo acquisition) of one of Apple's prototype iPhones. It's the very device that's rumored to be announced at the Monday keynote.

The special master—a third party that's been appointed by the court to ensure that its instructions are carried out – will be working with San Mateo County authorities to ascertain what information about the prototype can be pulled from Chen's seized belongings. The purpose behind the introduction of a special master is to ensure that only information related to the case is noted down: It's based on an agreement between the district attorney's office and Chen's attorney, Thomas Nolan, regarding the potential legal ramifications of California's shield laws for reporters.

But that's not the only dispute that still surrounds the missing prototype story. According to Apple CEO Steve Jobs, in an interview at the D8 conference earlier this week, there's still a question as to whether said prototype was actually lost in a Redwood City bar—as the story has panned out thus far—or whether it was stolen out of software engineer Gray Powell's bag.

"When this whole thing with Gizmodo happened, I got a lot of advice from people that said you've got to just let it slide. You shouldn't go after a journalist because they bought stolen property and tried to extort you," Jobs said. "And I thought deeply about this, and I concluded the worst thing that could happen is if we change our core values and let it slide. I can't do that. I'd rather quit."

--
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

Spec comparison chart of the top 5 smartphones (including the iPhone 4)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/ipho ... s-and-hd2/

I'm very tempted.
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:Ah, perceptions. I'll be having fun with my EVO Android phone tomorrow while you grow old stressing over company conspiracies. As witnessed on the Android thread, you're incapable of enjoying quality products from any source.
I don't like Google, you have to admit they've become serious douchebags. As are a lot of vendors I do buy products from, it's all part of capitalism. Given the choice I'll buy from the non-asshole vendor, and even pay a premium. I go out of my way not to buy things from Wal Mart for instance.

I used to work for a company with a decent line of routers, we used to get a huge amount of business just because people hate Cisco so much. That hasn't changed much in the business world, I expect it to come back and haunt Google to some degree. Like MS they're large enough to shrug it off for quite a while.

Were I a road warrior still I'd have a smartphone of some sort. As it is I just can't see the need, especially as I work from home.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aabidano wrote: I don't like Google, you have to admit they've become serious douchebags. As are a lot of vendors I do buy products from, it's all part of capitalism. Given the choice I'll buy from the non-asshole vendor, and even pay a premium. I go out of my way not to buy things from Wal Mart for instance.
You're welcome to your opinion. Please tell me which smart phone companies aren't douchbags.

Thanks!

Sounds to me like:

Apple: Douchbag
Google Double douchbags!
Microsoft?

Thanks Again!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Apple: Douchbag - Not so much, smarmy and with an over inflated picture of themselves in the world and overpriced\overhyped products but that's about it. Their customers are also to blame :)
Google Double douchbags! - Yarp
Microsoft? - Has gotten better in the last few years, have actually sucked it up and (mostly) fixed their products. They've even buckled and and started following standards. My bias against them is mostly historical at this point, I'm even design lead for a product with a windoze front end. Odd place after ~17 years of *nix and routers :)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sargeras wrote:Spec comparison chart of the top 5 smartphones (including the iPhone 4)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/ipho ... s-and-hd2/

I'm very tempted.

hmmmm, somewhat surprising poll results from CNN:
From CNN:
Will you buy the new iPhone?

No: 83% (240,458 votes)
Yes: 17% (48,646 votes)

Total votes: 289,104

From CNET:
Would you buy the Apple iPhone 4 or the HTC Evo 4G?

Apple iPhone 4: 41% (2,869 votes)
HTC Evo 4G: 56% (3,918 votes)
Neither phone interests me: 3% (210 votes)

Total votes: 6,998
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Crap! Now I have to research and make a choice??! DRATS!!! DRATS AND BE DAMNED!

I had just figured to get the new iPhone.
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Netflix on iPhone Coming This Summer

Hi, John Ciancutti, VP of personalization technology, here. Today I had the unique opportunity to present the app we’re working on for iPhone at the Apple Worldwide Developer’s Conference in San Francisco. Our CEO Reed Hastings reiterated our excitement to bring Netflix to iPhone and more than 5,000 developers cheered when they saw how watching instantly will look on the groundbreaking mobile device that you carry in your pocket. If you use an iPhone, like I do, get ready to watch instantly on it this summer!
Originally announced that they were working on it when the iPad version came out. Hope it translates well!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Hmmm, im considering getting a friend to get me an Ipad in the US when he visits next month.
Since i cant use the 3G version (and doubt i would even if i could), are there any tips for buying Ipads...any accessories/bags you need, and so on?
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hesten wrote:Hmmm, im considering getting a friend to get me an Ipad in the US when he visits next month.
Since i cant use the 3G version (and doubt i would even if i could), are there any tips for buying Ipads...any accessories/bags you need, and so on?
iPads have been released in Europe. Would you be buying it in the US to avoid the VAT?
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Winnow wrote:
Hesten wrote:Hmmm, im considering getting a friend to get me an Ipad in the US when he visits next month.
iPads have been released in Europe. Would you be buying it in the US to avoid the VAT?
Its a LOT cheaper in the US than in Denmark, thats why. But i been checking up on it, and the no multitasking is a dealbreaker for me, i planned to use it to read and translate comics on the way to/from work, that require 2-3 programs open.
Then the lack of Flash, and the bad visibility outdoors that most reviews mention is hurting too, so does the lack of USB support, and forcing Itunes on it.

Ill hold out for the next version, or see if someone else made a similar product thats worth buying.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

the bad visibility outdoors that most reviews mention

Unless you're in direct, mid-day sunlight the visibility on the ipad screen is anything but bad.

There's a lot of things to criticize on the ipad but the screen really isn't one of them.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hesten wrote:
Its a LOT cheaper in the US than in Denmark, thats why. But i been checking up on it, and the no multitasking is a dealbreaker for me, i planned to use it to read and translate comics on the way to/from work, that require 2-3 programs open.
Then the lack of Flash, and the bad visibility outdoors that most reviews mention is hurting too, so does the lack of USB support, and forcing Itunes on it.

Ill hold out for the next version, or see if someone else made a similar product thats worth buying.
It depends on what you plan to do with it. Keep in mind. iPhone OS4 (well iOS 4 now) WILL have multitasking and it's out in a few weeks for the iPhone, with a planned release for the iPad in the fall.

If you READ comics, there is no better device than the iPad. It's amazing. Besides the Marvel and Comixology apps which you are able to choose frame by frame view or full page for purchased comics, Comic Reader Mobi App (or any of a number of other apps) is able to read uploaded cbr/cbz comics well. Even the last update for the extremely popular free ebook reader app Stanza now supports cbz and cbr.

iPad is for media consumption. Actually doing productive work on it is a work in progress but it will have multitasking and is fast.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I didn't catch that Stanza supported those filetypes! I've been reading some classics on my iPod Touch lately when a book would not be convenient. I will have to look into moving some of my comics as well.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I never understood the 'Value' part of VAT. How is making someone pay more adding value!

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Aslanna wrote:I never understood the 'Value' part of VAT. How is making someone pay more adding value!
I've always understood it as the value of the tax has already been added.... but now that you mention it, I don't really see the value in paying more. :D
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

The tax is on the value added at the various stages of the product's life cycle. Value, reflected in the product's cost, is added at the manufacturing, distribution and retail stops on the product's way to your hot little hands. That value is taxed.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

It's basically used in place of a sales tax, regardless of the rationale behind it isn't it?
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Yes, but unlike a sales tax which is levied only on the final sale of the product, a VAT is collected at each stage along the manufacturing / distribution process. Producers of raw materials, manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers recoup the VAT they paid to acquire materials or goods as they're passed along the chain. This has the advantage (to the state) of discouraging retailers from cheating on the final sales tax, and theoretically makes black markets less viable since the taxes are already embodied in the goods being sold.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Winnow wrote:Hack the iPad!

As with the iPhone, someone is posting every iPap app cracked to the newsgroups on a weekly basis. I downloaded the past 2 weeks (about 9 GB total). (search for "Dadude" in Supersearch) As opposed to the iPhone apps, the iPad Apps are separated neatly into folders (Education, Games, Social, Books, etc) making it easy to wade through all of them to test out.
BTW, i forgot about this Dadude guy for awhile. He's still going strong on the newsgroups.

He posts weekly: (just search for "Dadude" or visit alt.binaries.warez.smartphone

All iPhone Apps (949 gb)
All iPhone game (9.4 gb)
All iPad Apps (week 49 size 940mb)
App iPad Game (week 49 size of file: 6.9 GB)
Top 25 Paid Apps and Games each weeks (~5 GB)

It's a nice way to get all the apps at once (not that you want them all but it can be a pain to download individual apps and it's easy to miss apps completely. It's not something you'd do every week but a nice way to sample a lot of apps without grabbing them one by one.

Installous is also a great way to find single apps for your iPhone or iPad. Install it via Cydia. The installous app is better than the App Store.

Three ~500mb games that came out this past week I recommend you check out if you like RPGs:

Eternal Legacy
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eternal- ... 27104?mt=8
Dungeon Hunter II
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dungeon- ... 59082?mt=8
Infinity Blade
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/infinity ... 28400?mt=8

For general App news I recommend the App "AppAdvice" It has multiple reviews each day, news articles and a 5 minute daily news video. Worth it (or free hacked!) for the .99 or 1.99 it costs.

----

BTW, I freaking love my iPad. (and iPhone 4 too when I'm out and about)

Ease of use/Hassle Free, Absolute crapload of apps including the top notch Apps that Android has so far to go before catching up, Amazing battery life, excellent cpu/power, bright, beautiful display, brilliant touch UI, the built in speaker is excellent for the size of the device.

iPad gets used every night primarly for News (RSS and Video (Newsy is a cool free news video app)), Reading (eBooks and Comics), streaming videos (both off my server and via netflix) as well as other uses not as common.

I wake up to the iPad, launch my stock trading app and check the pre market action. I use one of the iPad/iPhone ambient sound apps when I take a nap, read a book/comic/watch a video/browse until I fall asleep in bed. Unlike laptops, netbooks and PCs, the iPad props up right against a pillow for best viewing no matter how you're laying and the screen locks so you can turn it sideways so you can watch a movie without having to crank your head sideways if lying down (same with reading comics of books)

Love it, love it, love it. I've got so much...so many different things, at my fingertips and it "just works". So hassle free, which I've come to appreciate as I get older (and lazier). This thing rocks out of the box and is ungodly if you take the time to play around and gather up apps that appeal to your preferences.

I was there too once too thinking what you're thinking now...I thought, hmmm it's a big iTouch...will be cool for reading comics and maybe I'll find some other uses for it. Now it's indispensable.
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Ordered a 32gb refurb two days ago as an xmas present to me. Cant wait... I already have a nook for books, so will be used for some comics (been a while since I was reading them) internet with my new Overdrive 4g hotspot (4g is lighting fast around my place), and sales presentations (business writeoff). Im sure I can find an app to handle some powerpoint slides and do some photos. Also hoping the aerial image software we use for work will be usable from an Ipad.
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Which programs do you guys use for reading comics on the iPad? And I'm talking scanned comics, not from Marvels website :)