What do you think about the world?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Liberals, Atheists Smarter?

Post by Sylvus »

A new study suggests that:
The Study's Abstract wrote:The origin of values and preferences is an unresolved theoretical question in behavioral and social sciences. The Savanna-IQ Interaction Hypothesis, derived from the Savanna Principle and a theory of the evolution of general intelligence, suggests that more intelligent individuals may be more likely to acquire and espouse evolutionarily novel values and preferences (such as liberalism and atheism and, for men, sexual exclusivity) than less intelligent individuals, but that general intelligence may have no effect on the acquisition and espousal of evolutionarily familiar values (for children, marriage, family, and friends). The analyses of the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Study 1) and the General Social Surveys (Study 2) show that adolescent and adult intelligence significantly increases adult liberalism, atheism, and men’s (but not women’s) value on sexual exclusivity.
Glad we can finally put that one to rest. ;)

More of the study can be found (for free) here.
More intelligent people are statistically significantly more likely to exhibit social values and religious and political preferences that are novel to the human species in evolutionary history. Specifically, liberalism and atheism, and for men (but not women), preference for sexual exclusivity correlate with higher intelligence, a new study finds.
The study, published in the March 2010 issue of the peer-reviewed scientific journal Social Psychology Quarterly, advances a new theory to explain why people form particular preferences and values. The theory suggests that more intelligent people are more likely than less intelligent people to adopt evolutionarily novel preferences and values, but intelligence does not correlate with preferences and values that are old enough to have been shaped by evolution over millions of years."
"Evolutionarily novel" preferences and values are those that humans are not biologically designed to have and our ancestors probably did not possess. In contrast, those that our ancestors had for millions of years are "evolutionarily familiar."
"General intelligence, the ability to think and reason, endowed our ancestors with advantages in solving evolutionarily novel problems for which they did not have innate solutions," says Satoshi Kanazawa, an evolutionary psychologist at the London School of Economics and Political Science. "As a result, more intelligent people are more likely to recognize and understand such novel entities and situations than less intelligent people, and some of these entities and situations are preferences, values, and lifestyles."
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Liberals, Atheists Smarter?

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Duh!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Correction: Independents/Atheists smarter
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

You're confusing the direction of the causation arrow. Smarter => Liberal does NOT mean Liberal => Smarter

That said, if you're smart and rich and also quite the self-centred asshole, then you gravitate to the GOP because they are in the business of ensuring the rich get richer.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Winnow wrote:Correction: Independents/Atheists smarter
I didn't know there was a checkbox marked "Liberal" on the voter registration form. Interesting.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's abbreviated "Libs" with a sandal as the icon.

Obama voter for sure.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Sylvus wrote:The analyses of the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Study 1) and the General Social Surveys (Study 2) show that adolescent and adult intelligence significantly increases adult liberalism, atheism, and men’s (but not women’s) value on sexual exclusivity.
So now it's scientifically proven: all women ARE whores.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

masteen wrote:
Sylvus wrote:The analyses of the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Study 1) and the General Social Surveys (Study 2) show that adolescent and adult intelligence significantly increases adult liberalism, atheism, and men’s (but not women’s) value on sexual exclusivity.

:lol: :lol:
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

masteen wrote:

That would point to smart women being whores....and the rest are giving it away for free.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If Kilmoll wears sandals like the ones pictured above, I'll never mention or associate them with liberal pussies again.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I would not wear those sandals if Monica Belluci was begging for my cock from across 1 half mile of broken glass and I was on the other side with nothing but those horrific socks and sandals.

Let me also question this "study" and ask if this was done on a purely IQ standpoint or if it was research showing the education of the individuals. Most of the true liberals I have known are quite educated with books and fancy themselves intellectually superior, even though they are damn near the most incompetent fucking buffoons this planet has seen. Generally, as one outgrows the college years and learns about the real world, they forget that idealistic bullshit that liberal policies embrace and they turn to the dark side where we will rule the universe together!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Dude, you have like 4 pairs of Birkenstocks, WITH HEMP SOCKS!

Catch you at the Prius races! ;)
en kærlighed småkager
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Considering that I'm a liberal and I'm the smartest person on this board, I have to agree with that study. :vv_la:
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Dude, you are not even close to what I would call a liberal. Everything you have posted has come across as a moderate with liberal leanings. No one of real intelligence would ever truly be on the far left or right of the political spectrum.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Dude, you are not even close to what I would call a liberal. Everything you have posted has come across as a moderate with liberal leanings. No one of real intelligence would ever truly be on the far left or right of the political spectrum.
What's interesting is that the political spectrum is so different in the US compared to many other places. What's "far left" to you is left-leaning moderate to most scandinavians. That's all the thought I have energy for, back to hangoverbed.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

It's hard to wrap my head around left and right, considering most peoples' beliefs and their justifications are far more complicated than what a two-dimensional, left to right visualization could possibly realize.

Some of my views would be considered far right, others far left. Some of my opinions have absolutely no footing in liberalism or conservatism.

It's offensive that the existing political parties don't acknowledge a human's capacity to think in detail by evolving such old definitions. It sucks that you have to be rich to do anything meaningful. They're trying to kill intelligence and they're winning with ease.

On topic: liberalism is simply closer to what smart people identify with, though still far from good enough. As for religion........... ugh.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:
Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Dude, you are not even close to what I would call a liberal. Everything you have posted has come across as a moderate with liberal leanings. No one of real intelligence would ever truly be on the far left or right of the political spectrum.
What's interesting is that the political spectrum is so different in the US compared to many other places. What's "far left" to you is left-leaning moderate to most scandinavians. That's all the thought I have energy for, back to hangoverbed.
Here is the kicker.....it does not matter what their views are. This is a different country. I am not saying that to be a dick...but people came here to get away from the views and control of those in your neck of the woods.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:
Here is the kicker.....it does not matter what their views are. This is a different country. I am not saying that to be a dick...but people came here to get away from the views and control of those in your neck of the woods.
So are you saying that gross aberration from the middle of the political spectrum in your country is a sign of stupidity, or that 3/4 of scandinavians are dumb? ;)
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I like how people come here to "escape" the oppressive control of those pesky, pinko, freedoms-hating Scandinavian countries in spite of the fact that Sweden, Norway, and Denmark (and Finland and Iceland, too) are all ranked significantly higher than the good ol' USA on The Economist's Democracy Index, a measure of civil liberties, political representation and participation and other key factors in a free society. Our liberty has more in common with Ukraine, Bulgaria and Romania than it does any of Scandinavia. Also, freedom of the press in the United States lags far behind all of Scandinavia according to the Press Freedom Index. Oh, and don't let me forget that the USA trails Norway, Iceland, Sweden and Finland, but leads Denmark (by .001), on the Human Development Index, a measure of quality of life factoring income, education, health and other factors. But don't stop believing we're the best at everything! USA! USA! USA!!!!

Generally, people coming to this country aren't flooding in from Scandinavia or other highly developed countries; they're coming from countries that lag behind us developmentally, democratically and philosophically. While there are a trickle of immigrants from developed countries, they're not exactly beating down our door to get here. The numbers of immigrants from Scandinavia taking a step backwards to the USA, or most of western Europe (making a lateral move) can generally be measured in the hundreds, while those coming here to seek better opportunities can be measured in the tens and hundreds of thousands. Of course, the red-blooded, border-protecting "patriots" don't want those brown folks so much.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Well then it should be natural for those liberally wonderful humans such as yourself to migrate on over to the Scandinavian countries in a natural evolution of intelligence? My offer to pay for your one way ticket to leave still stands.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

I would have thought agnoticism would be more an intelligence indicator higher than outright atheism: how can it be a sign of intelligence to make a firm conclusion based on a lack of evidence one way or another?
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Because scientific method requires conclusive proof of something's existance to be accepted as fact. Lack of proof of non-existance is not a viable scientific argument.

And, of course, Agnostics are just pussies who can't make up their minds. It has nothing to do with intelligence, only with conviction.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Well then it should be natural for those liberally wonderful humans such as yourself to migrate on over to the Scandinavian countries in a natural evolution of intelligence? My offer to pay for your one way ticket to leave still stands.
Unless your country is objectively perfect, criticising it is the patriotic thing to do. No need to be so defensive.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

fladerehore!
en kærlighed småkager
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Canelek wrote:fladerehore!
That will get you nowhere.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Oh, I had a translation issue. Smigerhore, I believe, is the correct one.

Anyway, yeah, most folks on either far-reaching "end" are røvhatte.. Best best for decent "intelligent" discourse is generally closer to the middle, for all parties.
en kærlighed småkager
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Well then it should be natural for those liberally wonderful humans such as yourself to migrate on over to the Scandinavian countries in a natural evolution of intelligence? My offer to pay for your one way ticket to leave still stands.
Hey Xyun, if you pick up the return fare yourself, you can crash at my place. We can spend a weekend getting drunk and laughing at people. It'd still be a one way ticket - well, two one way tickets, I guess.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Hey Xyun, if you pick up the return fare yourself, you can crash at my place. We can spend a weekend getting drunk and laughing at people. It'd still be a one way ticket - well, two one way tickets, I guess.
Xyun, being born in Iran, might want to be wary of purchasing one-way tickets from Europe to the United States. :o
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xyun's harmless. He looks like Andre Agassi (the bald version Agassi!)
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

"Xatrei" must translate from English to Swedish as "Xyun".

Anyway, everyone knows that Iran is the same as Al Queda so that makes Xyun a terrorist. My offer still stands (for Xatrei at least) to pay for him to move permanently out of the US.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Danish.

I'm not interested in leaving, I'm interested in fixing my country (not that I really think it's possible, but what the heck). I lived in Europe (Germany) while in the military and briefly after I was out, and I loved it over there. My family is here, though, and as I get older (or more accurately, as my parents get older), the proximity of my family is of greater and greater importance to me. If I had no ties to this place, I probably would gtfo, though.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

The offer stands for Xxxxx!
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Let's just call it even and have someone pay for my vacation to Scotland.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If I became disenchanted with the United States, there would be no hesitation at all. I'd go straight to Canada and gut fish with kyoukan. To be different, I'd live more than 100 miles away from the U.S. border.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

My biggest travel plans are for Lake Tahoe in June, but I aspire to get free travel to VIKINGLANDTM

Hoorj!
en kærlighed småkager
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

I actually have a lot of family in Europe and primarily in Sweden as a result of my family's exodus from Iran. One of my uncles from Sweden brought his family to Disney World for two weeks over Xmas and they came to Tampa as well and stayed for a week. My uncle is pretty well off from what I could tell by the way he was spending money. They literally bought so much shit that they had to buy 4 extra suitcases and we had to rent a minivan to get everything and everyone to the airport on their way home. My uncle said that the dollar had gone down so much since the last time that he was here that his Swedish money was worth over 50% more than the previous time. He compared it to Americans going shopping in Mexico, which is somewhat embarrassing. In any event, if when I finally make it over to Europe, I have plenty of places to stay. I'm definitely visiting Amsterdam and am always up for a beer.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.