Guitar help for son's gift

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Guitar help for son's gift

Post by Tyek »

Ok,

I played a lot of sports, so not great with instruments, even though I once managed a band. We bought my son a beginners guitar set a couple years ago. He was 11 and had started and stopped lots of things, like karate. He loved the guitar and with no lessons has turned into a great little player. He is taking guitar in High school and the teacher moved him to advanced even though he had only been self taught.

We recently bought him an acoustic/electric "V" shaped guitar for his class, but he wants an upgrade on his electric one. We figure it is time to move up, but still not ready to drop thousands on it.

Been looking into things. He has been saving his money to buy a new one. I know he want a Floyd Rose bridge at some point, but I also saw this one and figured if we buy this one he can add a floyd rose bridge to it.

He is all about the "V" and more metal looking guitars and I was wondering if this one was ok. Most reviewers say it is a great mid level guitar. Was curious what some of the players on here thought.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Razorb ... 1328231.gc

Designed by the late, great Dimebag.
The Razorback DB electric guitar features a killer, jagged design with a sweet gloss finish. The mahogany neck has a rosewood fretboard with a pearl razor inlay at the twelfth fret that evokes Dime's famous necklace. A DiMarzio rhythm pickup and Dimebucker treble pickup unleash vicious tone that's sure to put a smile on any metalhead's face. The Razorback DB guitar is finished off with black hardware, Grover tuners, Tune-o-matic-style bridge, string-thru V-shaped tailpiece, and Dimebag traction knobs.

With our Guaranteed Lowest Price, you can be assured of complete satisfaction and the lowest available price, or your money back!
Dean Razorback DB Electric Guitar Features:
Dimebag designed
Mahogany body
Mahogany neck
Rosewood fretboard with Pearl razor inlay
Dean-designed humbuckers
Tune-o-matic-style bridge
V-shaped string-thru tailpiece
Dimebag traction knobs
Grover tuners
Black hardware

We were also looking at this one...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-MH- ... 1438689.gc

An MH model with top-of-the-line features throughout.
The ESP LTD MH-401 Electric Guitar features a gorgeous carved quilted maple top on a mahogany body. The classic MH body style gives you comfortable access to the entire 24-fret fingerboard, and the thin neck profile lets you rip through your toughest licks with the speed and control you need. The MH-40 guitar has EMG-81/85 active humbucker pickups to give you the sustain and focused tone required for modern rock music. The Special Floyd Rose tremolo with locking nut lets you dive-bomb to your heart's content without going out of tune. Controls include a master volume, tone, and a 3-way toggle. Black nickel hardware adds the final touch of coolness to this beauty.

With our Guaranteed Lowest Price, you can be assured of complete satisfaction and the lowest available price, or your money back!
ESP LTD MH-401 FLOYD ROSE ELECTRIC GUITAR Features:
Set-neck
25-1/2" scale
Mahogany body
Carved quilted flame maple top
Maple neck
Rosewood fingerboard
Locking nut
Thin U-neck contour
42mm neck width
24 XJ frets
Black nickel hardware
Grover tuners
Floyd Rose Special double-locking bridge
EMG 81 (Bridge) /85 (Neck) active pickups
Master Volume/Master Tone
3-way Toggle Switch
Case not included

Thanks for your help.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Re: Guitar help for son's gift

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

I play gibsons for electric's and fender's for my bass.

Here is a good deal and its a classic, great review's and you cant beat the quality for this price Imo.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri ... ndard.aspx

Now, the classic look of the 'plain' maple top is available to go with the classic Les Paul Sound. This understated look is preferred by many Les Paul fanatics. It still has everything you need in a Les Paul: the Solid Mahogany body, Maple top, Alnico V Humbucker pickups and the Tune-o-matic bridge/Stopbar tailpiece combo for monstrous sustain.
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Don't get a Floyd Rose-style system unless you get a really good (and expensive) one. If you buy a downmarket one, you'll lose ten times as many strings, you'll go out of tune every twenty minutes and generally be fucking annoyed. The FR-licensed system on my old JPN Fender pissed me off to no end.

As far as the two guitars you linked... the DB one, I'd make sure to sit with it for a good long while. It looks like maybe the balance is iffy.

I'd take a look at http://www.rondomusic.net, they've got some good instruments at some great prices.

http://www.rondomusic.com/hornetpro6wh.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000unionjack.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/st1000whiteduncanstk.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/septor627proebblack.html
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Is there any real reason beyond the guitar's strings for the shape besides traditional looks? Why not go for something radically different?

http://strangepictures.net/wp-content/u ... guitar.jpg

http://static.zoovy.com/img/andreasinc/ ... lrpl_1.jpg

http://www.uberreview.com/wp-content/up ... guitar.jpg
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Winnow wrote:Is there any real reason beyond the guitar's strings for the shape besides traditional looks? Why not go for something radically different?
Plenty of reasons. The way the wood is shaped, the way the neck is connected to the body, any hollows etc, all influence tone and sustain. It's not just the different pickups that make a Telecaster sound different from a Strat.

edit: that plexiglass one is going to have fuck all sustain, I imagine.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

i'll back up Drolgin's vouch on Rondo. He recommended them to me years ago and I got a Les Paul knockoff- its a great quality guitar and I'd buy from them again

I'll also back him up on the floyd rose comment - If you get a shitty FR your strings will end up going out of tune constantly and tuning them back up can take forever because tension on one string will affect the others much more than normal. I also had a problem where it was ultra-sensitive to pressure.. even just trying to palm mute would engage the FR and alter the tone unintentionally. However, the FR on my stratocaster doesn't have any of those problems.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Just want to post that Drolgin and Cad are 100% right about the FR thing. I popped soooo fucking many strings on my first cheap-ass knock off guitar that I couldn't believe how long my high E string lasted on my first quality axe, despite the abuse I was putting it through.

Also, that dimebag guitar looks like it's long on style, but I'm not sold on the quality of it's guts nor on the playability.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Appreciate all the input.

We are trying to work both the looks and sound on this. We bought him a guitar and it looks pretty cool and sounded great. He has until January 31st to decide if he likes it so we can wait until Christmas to give it to him.

He is very musically inclined. He plays trumpet and guitar and his school had a Jazz band. He went to try out with his guitar, but they only wanted bass, so he borrowed one, played a few minutes, figured it out and won the spot. He is also the first freshman to be 1st trumpet in years at his school. /proud dad off.

This guitar should suit him for a while until he is ready for the next level. Once again thanks to all.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I just got back into playing after a 17 year hiatus. I had a nice 80's made in the usa metal looken guitar back then...I loved that thing, had great action, and was smooth as a button, with an awesome metallic sound to it for some 80's hair band rock outs.

This time around, being a smidge older, i bought myself a 70's made in japan les paul knock off. You really can't go wrong with the older les paul knock offs, or the Rondo ones for new. I would stay away from Epiphone ones...the cheap ones do not play/sound well...and the expensive ones, while good guitars, are not worth the money, imo. But I'm a cheap old man now...hence the 30 year old guitar purchase. Nothing sounds like a true old guitar that was kept in good condition over the years.

You said he wants something metal looking...which surely isn't a les paul...well, the flying V's from the 80's are pretty solid guitars, assuming you get either a MIJ ripoff, or a made in USA original. The well made guitars are like fine wine...they sound better with age. Do some research online, and you will find the better made in japan companies from that era.

Hit up craigslist...you'll find something. This is of course assuming he doesn't like the one you bought him already. And if its got to be new...I echo the Rondo statements. Great product for the money.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This looks like a good add on gift:

http://www.rlslog.net/it-might-get-loud ... 4-amiable/
Rarely can a film penetrate the glamorous surface of rock legends. It Might Get Loud tells the personal stories, in their own words, of three generations of electric guitar virtuosos The Edge (U2), Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin), and Jack White (The White Stripes). It reveals how each developed his unique sound and style of playing favorite instruments, guitars both found and invented. Concentrating on the artists musical rebellion, traveling with him to influential locations, provoking rare discussion as to how and why he writes and plays, this film lets you witness intimate moments and hear new music from each artist. The movie revolves around a day when Jimmy Page, Jack White, and The Edge first met and sat down together to share their stories, teach and play.