Quorn Gruyere Chik'n Cutlet

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Quorn Gruyere Chik'n Cutlet

Post by Lalanae »

This isn't a recipe, but I just bought a box of these and they are EXCELLENT. 260 calories per cutlet which makes it great for anyone watching their calories. Would taste great with a simple salad. Anyway just a recommendation. I got mine at Kroger next to the Amy's products.

http://www.quorn.us//cmpage.aspx?pageid ... ductid=144
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Quorn Gruyere Chik'n Cutlet

Post by Arborealus »

I like to do a cordon bleu with gruyere and ultra thin sliced ham...

Actually I usually do it with a crust of processed Chex Party Mix or Pistachio...damn that sounds good right now...
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Quorn Gruyere Chik'n Cutlet: 260 calories, 15 grams of fat, 11 grams of protein.
5 ounce chicken breast: 231 calories, 5 grams of fat, 43 grams of protein.

Unless you're a vegetarian, or you really really like fake meat, or you have some serious cholesterol issues, I don't get it.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Add a slice of Gruyere cheese and "fried" breading to that calorie count and you'll see why I like it.
Lalanae
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

You can flavor up a piece of chicken without adding much fat/calories at all. Admittedly, you can't smother it with cheese and fry it without adding a good deal of fat and calories.

If you added a slice of cheese and some breading and then baked the thing instead of frying it, you would be adding about 120 calories and 9 grams of fat (plus a good bit of protein). So you'd end up with slightly more calories, slightly less fat (although really about the same amount) and vastly more protein.

You could also just throw on some marinade and bake the chicken, which adds very little beyond a few calories.

Obviously, if you don't care about protein and you're really concerned with limiting your calories, the cutlet is better than the chicken + cheese + breadcrumbs. My point is just that the nutritional difference is pretty minor, and, depending on your diet goals, the real chicken may in fact be healthier (it certainly fits my diet better).
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Admittedly, you can't smother it with cheese and fry it without adding a good deal of fat and calories.
That was my point. This tastes like fried chicken with cheese & is under 300 calories which is quite amazing. The nutritional difference between this and fried chicken with cheese IS substantial. That's the whole point. If I want cheesy fried chicken, I can have it and not worry about it being 500 calories.

I don't know why this has to be an argument. I was just posting a favorite product.
Lalanae
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Lalanae wrote:I don't know why this has to be an argument. I was just posting a favorite product.
I kind of thought that generally, when you post an opinion on a public message board, others are welcome to, you know, provide their opinions as well. My opinion is that I'd rather eat a meal which is made of fresh raw ingredients than a frozen piece of fake chicken made of 20+ half-recognizable ingredients, especially when the nutritional makeup of the real chicken is more beneficial for me than the frozen fake alternative.

I'm glad you like it. I'm glad that its nutritional makeup suits your nutritional needs. I'm glad it fulfills your cravings for cheesy fried chicken. I'm glad you posted this thread so others who have similar nutritional needs and desires for cheesy fried chicken can know about it.

I figured, given the fact that you claimed that a piece of fake chicken was great for people 'counting their calories,' the fact that real chicken is actually LOWER in calories was a potentially useful piece of information to add to the thread. Plus, you know, you posted a thread about a subject. I had thoughts about that subject. So I posted them. Again, isn't this how message boards work?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I've been hooked on chicken breasts lately, but I don't think I have wanted a cheesy fried chicken breast in over five years. Even then, it was the Chuck's Cheesy Fried Chicken at the 290 cafe. It even came with bacon on top. I felt my heart waging war on me for that one.

I was looking at this product's website, and could not find the serving/content size. How does it actually compare to the chicken breast reference? I am guessing that it might be visible on the picture of the product package, but the resolution is such crap here that I can't see it :P

As for the "argument," I don't think sueven was arguing at all. He just asked why you would be going this route instead of eating a real chicken!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

(1) It's made from mycoprotein which is derived from fungi. It's 100% natural

(2) Pull your lacey panties out of your ass. You compared this to plain chicken SAYING "I don't get it" SO I pointed out that your caloric comparison is completely apples-to-oranges. You came back with a big long defensive post about how I can flavor up plain chicken blah blah blah.

No one is forcing you to like my suggestion much less buy and ingest it, but for pete's sake if you are going to say it's not a nutritionally viable ALTERNATIVE use SIMILAR comparisons.
Lalanae
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Boogahz wrote: He just asked why you would be going this route instead of eating a real chicken!
I clearly stated why after his first post. Calories. You can't compare caloric values of plain chicken to a dish that has cheese and breading.
Lalanae
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

:roll:
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Boogahz wrote::roll:
I saw your post before you edited. Please point out what EXACTLY I said that was so insulting to his question "I don't get it."
Lalanae
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Sueven wrote:
Lalanae wrote:I don't know why this has to be an argument. I was just posting a favorite product.
I kind of thought that generally, when you post an opinion on a public message board, others are welcome to, you know, provide their opinions as well. My opinion is that I'd rather eat a meal which is made of fresh raw ingredients than a frozen piece of fake chicken made of 20+ half-recognizable ingredients, especially when the nutritional makeup of the real chicken is more beneficial for me than the frozen fake alternative.

I'm glad you like it. I'm glad that its nutritional makeup suits your nutritional needs. I'm glad it fulfills your cravings for cheesy fried chicken. I'm glad you posted this thread so others who have similar nutritional needs and desires for cheesy fried chicken can know about it.

I figured, given the fact that you claimed that a piece of fake chicken was great for people 'counting their calories,' the fact that real chicken is actually LOWER in calories was a potentially useful piece of information to add to the thread. Plus, you know, you posted a thread about a subject. I had thoughts about that subject. So I posted them. Again, isn't this how message boards work?
Lalanae wrote:(1) It's made from mycoprotein which is derived from fungi. It's 100% natural

(2) Pull your lacey panties out of your ass. You compared this to plain chicken SAYING "I don't get it" SO I pointed out that your caloric comparison is completely apples-to-oranges. You came back with a big long defensive post about how I can flavor up plain chicken blah blah blah.

No one is forcing you to like my suggestion much less buy and ingest it, but for pete's sake if you are going to say it's not a nutritionally viable ALTERNATIVE use SIMILAR comparisons.

maybe it is YOU that needs to pull the panties out of your ass. He even stated that it was his opinion. He never said you had to change yours. Do you deny the rest of my unedited post?
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

If the item of comparison is: Chicken dredged in breading, deep-fried, and served with cheese,

And the options are:

1. An 'all-natural product' made of 'fungi-derived mycoprotein' which includes cheese and breading and may or may not be fried
2. Chicken with cheese and breading which is not fried

Well, I think we've got an apples to oranges to bananas comparison, if anything.

I also didn't say it wasn't a nutritionally viable alternative. I said that "the nutritional difference is pretty minor" and "depending on your diet goals, the real chicken may in fact be healthier." I also said "I'm glad that it's nutritional makeup suits your nutritional needs." Please stop lying.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

HOW is saying "I don't know why this has to be an argument. I was just posting a favorite product." being pissy?

He started with defensive routine even before that.

So again I ask, what did I say that was so defensive what I said "Add a slice of Gruyere cheese and "fried" breading to that calorie count and you'll see why I like it."?

NOTHING in my posts was defensive or pissy until the last one and that was nothing compared to his bullshit (and now yours).
Lalanae
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Stop taking everything as if it is a personal attack. That would help.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Sueven wrote:If the item of comparison is: Chicken dredged in breading, deep-fried, and served with cheese,

And the options are:

1. An 'all-natural product' made of 'fungi-derived mycoprotein' which includes cheese and breading and may or may not be fried
2. Chicken with cheese and breading which is not fried

Well, I think we've got an apples to oranges to bananas comparison, if anything.

I also didn't say it wasn't a nutritionally viable alternative. I said that "the nutritional difference is pretty minor" and "depending on your diet goals, the real chicken may in fact be healthier." I also said "I'm glad that it's nutritional makeup suits your nutritional needs." Please stop lying.
Lying about what? Your first post compared the product to plain chicken. It's all here in black & white. When I refer to you comparing apples & oranges, that's what I refer to, also your suggestions about other things you can do to chicken which don't really apply.
Lalanae
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Boogahz wrote:Stop taking everything as if it is a personal attack. That would help.
What did I take as a personal attack?

You're making shit up now
Lalanae
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Lalanae wrote:
Boogahz wrote:Stop taking everything as if it is a personal attack. That would help.

I can understand that it might not be easy for you to see it yourself. Maybe looking through your own posts for the last week or so would help you to see the pattern which has developed recently. :)
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I bet it doesn't smell very good right now.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Fash wrote:I bet it doesn't smell very good right now.
so immature!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Boogahz wrote:
Lalanae wrote:

I can understand that it might not be easy for you to see it yourself. Maybe looking through your own posts for the last week or so would help you to see the pattern which has developed recently. :)
Just because I had a disagreement with in in the last thread, all of a sudden I have "developed" a "pattern." Get over yourself. Why don't YOU take a look at my posts? I think it's more notable that you come to this thread to get into it with me again than anything.
Lalanae
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

No, I actually wondered about the product. That is also why I was asking about the serving size (which you ignored). I also (in my edited post which you saw) indicated that not knowing about it being derived from fungi "could" cause an allergy issue. I don't want to get burnt out on chicken breasts, so I have been looking for some substitutes or other ways to make it for some variety. Jumping into "your argument" was a late edit as I made my first post in the thread.

Your disagreement with me in the other thread was just you not actually reading what I typed as we were both saying the same thing. I also know that I have cycles I go through as well. That is why I included the :) at the end of that post.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Lala wrote:Lying about what?
This.
Lala wrote:if you are going to say it's not a nutritionally viable ALTERNATIVE use SIMILAR comparisons.
I quite explicitly stated that it was a nutritionally viable alternative. To verify this, you could read my posts. Or you could read only my previous post where I collected the quotes in which I make clear that it is a nutritionally verifiable alternative. Your call.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

People! Calm down! It's the Culinary forum for pete's sake.

Here's what I see as the intended point of this thread. Lalanae came here to share a personal tip about a more healthy alternative to what is normally an unhealthy meal. Not "This is the healthiest thing you can eat that has chicken in it!". It should have had responses like "Thanks, I'll try that!", or "Not really my cup of tea, but to each their own", or even questions like Boog's about portion sizes and such. Instead the judgment hammer was brought down and it's devolved into personal attacks. In the CULINARY forum. I know everywhere is fair game, but what the hell? I understand that some people just MUST attack another person, I myself feel the need a lot of the time, but I can also see where I've put my foot in my mouth and started a fight on a false assumption.
Stop taking everything as if it is a personal attack. That would help.
Responding to a combative comment doesn't mean someones taking it personally. And don't try and claim that Sueven wasn't being combative, his comments were laced with passive aggressiveness and judgmental tones.
I quite explicitly stated that it was a nutritionally viable alternative. To verify this, you could read my posts. Or you could read only my previous post where I collected the quotes in which I make clear that it is a nutritionally verifiable alternative. Your call.
Yes, you did. After mocking the very notion of it even being a useful piece of information and insinuating that someone would be a moron for eating it, and therefore starting this entire crapfest. But you're right, you amended your condescending comment with a new condescending comment, so kudos.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Can someone post a good popcorn recipe to go along with this drama?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Gonna go ahead and agree with Dregor here.

As for the cutlet....well, cheese and chicken do not mix in my little world. May as well mix fish and cheese (blech!). I am wierd like that...
en kærlighed småkager
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Canelek wrote:Gonna go ahead and agree with Dregor here.

As for the cutlet....well, cheese and chicken do not mix in my little world. May as well mix fish and cheese (blech!). I am wierd like that...
Some nice cordon bleu or chicken parmesan can be nice on occasion, but not something I'd have on a regular basis. And actually I had a salmon dish once that had some shredded cheese (not sure what kind) on top and melted that was pretty damned tasty.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

It's a food hangup. Chicken parm is ok. Just the idea of a big slab o cheese on certain foods makes my cringe. Keep in mind I am not a cheese lover. My idea of fine cheese is mozzerella. :D
en kærlighed småkager
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Well, if you don't like cheese then nothing that can be done!
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

This thread has gotten supremely stupid, so I'll post a quick defense of myself and abandon the subject.

I thought I had navigated to VeeshanVault, but apparently I got redirected to PussyVault. Maybe it's an April Fools thing. Dregor is sitting here dictating what an appropriate response to a thread like this one is, and apparently that's limited to supportive comments and, at the outer limits, requests for clarification (portion sizes). Interesting to know that we're required to be so deferential and polite when Lalanae posts, given that nobody seems to be at all concerned with whether responses in a thread are in line with the "intentions" of the thread when the initial poster is a less popular member of the community.
Dregor wrote:Yes, you did. After mocking the very notion of it even being a useful piece of information and insinuating that someone would be a moron for eating it, and therefore starting this entire crapfest.
Man, that's a hell of a reading of a post. I'll be happy to admit that I wasn't particularly impressed by the product and my tone was somewhat critical, but I certainly didn't throw out any personal insults or say that someone would be a moron for eating it-- in fact, I've repeatedly, from my first post in this thread on, pointed out a variety of perfectly legit reasons why someone would like it. If you're too much of a thin-skinned weakling to handle heavily qualified criticism without personal attacks or insults, then perhaps VV's not the place for you. Perhaps the internet isn't the place for you. Hell, perhaps the planet fucking earth isn't the place for you. Especially if the "criticism" isn't even directed at you, but at a friend of yours.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

I know everywhere is fair game, but what the hell?
I straight up said that yes, I know this is VV and everywhere is fair game. There's levels of pathetic tho, and starting scraps in Culinary Delights ranks pretty high in terms of pathetic. Will I throw my opinion behind a friend? Hell yes, as long as I agree. Maybe the notion of someone defending you is a foreign one, I don't know. And as for my hell of a reading of a post, that's your opinion. What I saw was a know-it-all trying to show how smart and health conscious he was by talking down to someone and missing the entire point of the post. Of course you're probably not going to see a condescending tone in your own words if it just comes naturally, and so like so many things on VV, and the internet, and the planet fucking earth, it's pointless to argue about it.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

For what it's worth, I think both sides of this argument are being overly sensitive. I agree with Dregor's interpretation of Lalanae's original post in that she wasn't saying "look at this chicken alternative" so much as "look at this healthier alternative to chicken cordon bleu." She didn't say that explicitly, but I thought the implication was pretty clear. While Sueven's response may have missed the point, I don't think he was being overly harsh or dismissive. In his own words, he didn't get it.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

I'm going to terminate this discussion by pointing out that someone (Canelek) has said that he doesn't like cheese.

KILL THE COMMIE!

(only a li'l d4runk)

Unless you're arguing about whether or not to put chervil in sauce bearnaise, stfu. Life's too short for arguments about food - just cook it, eat it, and civilly discuss how much bacon to add.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:I'm going to terminate this discussion by pointing out that someone (Canelek) has said that he doesn't like cheese.

KILL THE COMMIE!

(only a li'l d4runk)

Unless you're arguing about whether or not to put chervil in sauce bearnaise, stfu. Life's too short for arguments about food - just cook it, eat it, and civilly discuss how much bacon to add.
Have my babies?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

No need to be crass, my Viking friend! :D I do make a mean manicotti! ;) I just don't like CRAZY CHEESE!

Hvordan går det?
en kærlighed småkager
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Lala, I will buy and consume these tasty cheesy chicken cutlets if I can find them. They look yummy.

Until my house and wife's health get in order, as they're both a disaster right now, It's pretty FFY for food and I'm often on my own (or just me and my daughter to fix food for).
- Ash
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

This is VV. Everything has to be an argument.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Aslanna wrote:
This is VV. Everything has to be an argument.
NO IT DOES NOT!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote: just cook it, eat it, and civilly discuss how much bacon to add.
Let's start with A LOT and take it from there. Anything in the world can be made better by throwing some bacon, cheese, cream and/or butter at it. I'm going to make a mixture out of it, put it in a syringe and cure all the uncurable diseases of the world with my MAGICMOJOMIX - but not before I patent it. Fuckers.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: concreteeye

Post by Arundel Pajo »

I approve of Quorn™.
Hawking - 80 Necromancer, AOC Mannannan server, TELoE
Also currently enjoying Left 4 Dead on XBL. :)
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Where the fuck you been at, Arundel? :P
en kærlighed småkager
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Canelek wrote:Where the fuck you been at, Arundel? :P
According to his profile: Denton, TX.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Well yeah, if you have ever been on Ventrilo with Arundel, it is rather obvious he is a Texan. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

Wow... drama in the food forum.

Looks tasty to me. And really, isn't that the point?

P.S. - I love cheese.