Lets talk Xbox

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Lets talk Xbox

Post by Fash »

It's time to fess up. Does anyone else feel like me that there will be a ton of 360s on ebay soon as people figure out that they are an impulse buy but worthess for the most part for longevity?

How's that Viva Pinata treating you? Playing all of those great first person shooters a lot?

I hear next to zero about the 360 except for first time buyers on the first week.

Gimmick with hot graphics! 20 minutes and done?
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Akanae
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Re: Lets talk Xbox

Post by Akanae »

:lol:
WOW - Eewy priest of Cenarius
EQ- Akanae Tendo officer of OTB ~retired~
COH - Akanae Empathy Defender on Pinnacle ~retired~
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I play 360 games for 20 minuteslonger than PS3 or Wii games!

Avoiding large family get togethers > Wii Sports

I won't debate game titles for the three consoles. It can't be any more obvious which one has the best current selection and most new (good) titles coming out the rest of this year. Sit and rot for another 8 months and then start to see games trickle in for the other two consoles, with crappy online.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

ROFL! This is flamebait if I ever saw it.

The 360 doesn't need this 10-year nonsense that Sony is heralding. MS needs 4 more solid years to bring it to 6 like any normal console lifespan, overlap 360 support over it's next offering for a year or two after the next MS console comes out to placate the late buyers and the people looking for the 199$ deal and they'll be golden.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Animalor wrote:ROFL! This is flamebait if I ever saw it.

The 360 doesn't need this 10-year nonsense that Sony is heralding. MS needs 4 more solid years to bring it to 6 like any normal console lifespan, overlap 360 support over it's next offering for a year or two after the next MS console comes out to placate the late buyers and the people looking for the 199$ deal and they'll be golden.
psst. you are the one that was "baited"

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... 47&t=20982
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Yeah.. Read this thread before reading the other one... Comedy is so much better when the context is known.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

I will take this bait though.....since the 360 is the first console that has had me actively playing it and drawing me to it since the Atari 2600. The games for it are just ridiculous and I find myself actually looking forward to at least 4-5 games that are due out. Assassin's Creed, Halo 3, Fallout 3, and Fable 2 to be sure.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Well I walked into Best Buy to pick up a new mouse to go with the daskeyboard I ordered....

I walked out with 1 item... a 360 elite.

i've got it hooked up to my 24" lcd and speakers, it's nice being able to switch back and forth on the monitor. got some game downloads queued up.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I almost picked one up myself on the weekend.
Lots of games coming out on the 360 that interest me.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

My demo experiences:

The BioShock demo is absolutely top notch incredible zomg. I'm not going to run out and buy it just yet, though.. Regardless of how cool it is, I still don't think I'd play enough to be worth it.

the BIGS is fun as hell... I don't care much for baseball, but I like this game a lot... great graphics and gameplay.

Test Drive Unlimited is the first game I'm going to buy. I love it.

Dirt has a really awesome menu system and is fun...

The graphics in Ace Combat are incredible... haven't gotten into the gameplay yet though.

Project Gotham 3 meh, Ridge Racer double meh, Blue Dragon triple dog dare meh.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Fenna
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fenna »

The 360 is the first gaming experience my wife has consistently enjoyed, and I'm speaking specifically of X-Box Live Arcade. She plays "Zuma" so much that I don't get much time to play my games. We're both into earning gamer points and achievements, so luckily I can play my Games for Windows games to do that while she's on our 360.

I'm extremely happy with our investment in the Elite. And so far I haven't heard of any red ring of death instances on an Elite, either.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Microsoft makes buying a 360 well worth your investment in demos alone. Unlike the PS3, the Xbox Live experience is fantastic. You can enjoy your 360 for quite a long time just playing demos. The initial experience with the 360 is such a pleasant experience compared to the PS3 from what's already on the HD (there's zero on the PS3's HD, no intro video, nada), to the ease of initial setup and wealth of Xbox Live demos, etc to play with right from the start.

As an aside, compare Bioshock's meaty demo to the PS3's Heavenly Sword 30 second demo. I like that the 360 demos give enough game play to make a decision. You may gain or lose some (Fash may have bought Blue Dragon if there wasn't a demo to try) but it's great for the consumer.

I'm gearing up to stop mentioning how shitty the PS3 is compared to the 360 but I thought it worth mentioning as Live/Demos play an important part in the overall enjoyment of a system. (besides there being a ton more quality games out for the 360)

My main remaining issue with the 360 are the hella loud fans. I was able to tune them out and enjoy the ambiance of Bioshock so I guess anything's possible.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Yes I'm very pleased that I was able to buy a single box, set it up, and spend like 10 hours actually playing with it.

I set up the Zune software and can use the 360 for music and movies and My friends and I watched a DVD on it last night after taking turns with the demos.

The dashboard is phenomenal... intuitive and fast. five stars for xbox 360 !!1
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Fash - You don't need the Zune software to get sharing. Windows Media Player 11 will do it just fine. You just need to change a setting.

From xbox.com:
In Windows Media Player, click Library, Media Sharing.
Select Share my media, OK. Windows Media Player will search for devices on your network.
Click your console, then click Allow. If you want to apply more options, click Settings. When done, click OK.
On your Xbox 360 console, in the Media area of the Xbox Dashboard, select Music, Pictures, or Video, then select Computer.
Select Yes, continue, then select your PC.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I just wish that video playback worked for all video files from the 360.
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

Get orb and you can stream most any media from a pc through a 360. It encodes on the fly so startup is a bit slow while it buffers up, but once it starts there isn't any problem. You can use orb with a Wii or a 360, and I would assume even a PS3 if it has a browser. Oh, and its free:

http://www.orb.com
Somali
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Somali »

That's pretty kickass. Thanks Neost.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Neost wrote:
Get orb and you can stream most any media from a pc through a 360. It encodes on the fly so startup is a bit slow while it buffers up, but once it starts there isn't any problem. You can use orb with a Wii or a 360, and I would assume even a PS3 if it has a browser. Oh, and its free:

TVersity works very well as well.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Since I use the Media Center Extender mostly when watching videos and such. I use Transcode 360 to do on the fly encoding. It's pretty flawless in windows XP MCE 2005 however there was some pains to get it up and running in Vista, mostly due to the new security.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Neost wrote:

I couldn't figure out how to get Orb to work w/ my 360 a few months ago when I had it.. Being as it's web based and there isn't a browser on the 360.
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

It doesn't require a browser on the console.

I tried tversity and had trouble getting it to work but IIRC this was just prior to a vista/360 "patch" for tversity. It may work fine now. I didn't try transcode 360, don't remember why.

I've had one or two issues with orb taking a long time to load/connect but once it's running on my vista box i can go to video->computer on the 360 and stream whatever I have on my vista box. It does take about 10-15 seconds to start displaying due to its on the fly encoding.