What do you think about the world?
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Guns guns guns

Post by Chidoro »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6551094/

:lol:

I love reading shit like this. Always brightens up a Monday morning.
Hoarmurath
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Hoarmurath »

An idiot goes whacko and kills 5 people, and this brightens your day?

EDIT: My mean statement was removed because it was, well, mean...and I'm not really a mean person at heart. Sorry.
Last edited by Hoarmurath on November 22, 2004, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

:shock:
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Clearly it was the gun's fault. That makes the death of 5 people, all of whom were only responding to radio calls for help, hi-fucking-larious.

Sick asshole.
Last edited by Xatrei on November 22, 2004, 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

The man was out of bullets and was arrested, Zeigle said.

:shock:
[65 Storm Warden] Archeiron Leafstalker (Wood Elf) <Sovereign>RETIRED
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

a SKS 7.62 caliber semiautomatic, a common hunting weapon.
Not anyplace I've ever been...

Cars containing drunk drivers leap out and kill hundreds a year.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Hehe Chidero, just on a side note, check your Magelo flags, just looked at your profile, and you got Earth/Water/Air access without having all the previous flags :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

SKS is a great rifle to shoot things dead with
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

*sigh*

Should they set some minimum level of education or mandatory mental health check before issuing a hunting license or in the background check before selling a gun?

Fucking psycho needs to be hung from the stand he was fighting over and his body left to the crows and wild animals to feast on.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Animalor wrote:Should they set some minimum level of education or mandatory mental health check before issuing a hunting license or in the background check before selling a gun?
Most states do both already with varying effectiveness.
Animalor wrote:Fucking psycho needs to be hung from the stand he was fighting over and his body left to the crows and wild animals to feast on.
I agree. On the other hand, ff you put a permanent structure up on public land, it's essentially public property. Not saying this loon was in the right in any fashion, but arguing with someone carrying a gun is pretty stupid as well. Whether you've got one yourself or not is irrelevant.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Since when is a SKS a common hunting rifle? Deer! Get it!!! BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM!!

Get it?

No

Reload

Nothing funny about people getting shot though. :( I hope the castrate and burn that fuck alive.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Thank goodness they were all carrying guns to protect themselves with, or someone might have gotten hurt.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Seebs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Seebs »

that will teach those guys for rehearsnig their Rudolph skit in the woods.
Seeber
looking for a WOW server
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

I have a pre-ban SKS (well, now there is no ban). Mine is/was a standard Russian model with the wooden stock, 10 round clip, and bayonet. I put a composite folding stock, flash suppressor, barrel attached bi-pod, and I have two 30 round clips. These guns, whether stock or modified, are NOT hunting rifles. I spent most of my life in the mountains of the northeast. I have never seen anyone using an SKS or AK-47 to hunt game. This guy was just whacko...and I feel for the families of the people that were killed. It's too bad this guy didn't do a Full Metal Jacket on the treestand and blow his own head off before he decided to hunt people.... :evil:
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

For short range woods hunting it's not a bad gun really, pretty much equal to a 30/30 in power and accuracy. Assuming you aren't using military ammo anyway.

I've just never seen many people using military type autoloaders as hunting rifles.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

I love reading shit like this. Always brightens up a Monday morning.
That makes the death of 5 people, all of whom were only responding to radio calls for help, hi-fucking-larious.
that will teach those guys for rehearsnig their Rudolph skit in the woods.

How...in any way...is this a laughing matter? :?
Forthe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Brutus709

Post by Forthe »

Niffoni wrote:Thank goodness they were all carrying guns to protect themselves with, or someone might have gotten hurt.
Not a funny subject but this made me laugh.
All posts are personal opinion.
My opinion may == || != my guild's.
"All spelling mistakes were not on purpose as I dont know shit ." - Torrkir
Seebs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Seebs »

Because of the Ridiculousness of it, even the irony.

You weren't hugged much were you? If we ever meet prepare for a loving hug .. maybe a noogie.
Seeber
looking for a WOW server
Aaeamdar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Aaeamdar »

Unless I misread when I skimmed the article, 1 hunter (who will now be in jail for life) killed 5 other hunters and wounded 2 additional hunters. By my count, that's 6 - 8 fewer hunters in the world. Not much, but its a good start.

Edit - yup got it right. I liked this quote the best - “When you’re hunting you don’t expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you."

No, that's a priviledge reserved for the dear. I don't know if CHidaro is getting a good chuckle out of this for the same reasons I am, but I know I always laugh a little when hunters are killed in "accidents" or other "hunting related" deaths. They are barbarians and getting what they deserve.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Aaeamdar

Knew the location before I looked, are you a vegan? If you aren't you're a hypocrite.

It's ironic that people get worked up enough over $40 worth of lumber leaning on a tree in the woods to kill each other over. I'd like to see how many of themwere sober when this happened.

There's no such thing as an accident.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Ever eat meat? I guess that means you are an accomplice since you pay for meat. Would it be fair for some hunter to break into your home and shoot you and your family because you are getting what you deserve?
Atokal
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Atokal »

Aaeamdar wrote:Unless I misread when I skimmed the article, 1 hunter (who will now be in jail for life) killed 5 other hunters and wounded 2 additional hunters. By my count, that's 6 - 8 fewer hunters in the world. Not much, but its a good start.

Edit - yup got it right. I liked this quote the best - “When you’re hunting you don’t expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you."

No, that's a priviledge reserved for the dear. I don't know if CHidaro is getting a good chuckle out of this for the same reasons I am, but I know I always laugh a little when hunters are killed in "accidents" or other "hunting related" deaths. They are barbarians and getting what they deserve.
Once again we part ways on common sense. How is it a good thing. The deaths of fathers, sons, husbands vs bambi give me a fucking break.
Atokal
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.
Niccolo Machiavelli
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

I retract my previous statement. I admittidly did not read the whole article before posting, because the jokes got my attention first. I didn't realize they don't even know who shot first...We don't know if the asian guy was a psycho or if he was defending himself. We can make assumptions, but the report isn't even out yet.

It is indeed poetic justice, however I don't think they DESERVED getting murdered, and the woman and child sure as fuck shouldn't be a laughing matter.
You weren't hugged much were you?
Actually it's the opposite, but leading to the same extreme. I had a very loving family and am overly senstive about things like this, however I had thought it was a psycho who just opened up fire...Who knows, the hunters could have been the aggresors in the situation and the woman and child got in the line of fire. Cannot rule out that the suspect could have been defending himself. They don't even know which bullets came from which guns yet.
Last edited by Keverian FireCry on November 22, 2004, 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sylvos
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sylvos »

Aaeamdar wrote:Unless I misread when I skimmed the article, 1 hunter (who will now be in jail for life) killed 5 other hunters and wounded 2 additional hunters. By my count, that's 6 - 8 fewer hunters in the world. Not much, but its a good start.

You are a fucking moronic faggot, note the use of two explitives and another adjective to describe you. Murder victims are never "Good to see". You sick pathetic fuck. Also, how the fuck you think man survived. Hunting, that's right. How you think mankind managed to live for the last 15,000 years you ignorant punk. Mankind is a Hunter, we walk upright. We have opposable thumbs to manipulate objects like guns. Hunting is not something that is barbaric, no more than your mom going to the grocery store and grabbing a few chicken breasts and pork ribs that were raised and slaughtered in a slaughter house. I would laugh a little you got killed by a cock rupturing your already distended anus and you managed to bleed to death anally. I know i'd chuckle a little to myself. You truely are a waste of fucking matter.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

That is by far the most retarded thing I have ever read from you. Perhaps you should just join PETA or ELF and get it all out in the open. :roll:
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Maybe he thinks man survived by sucking cock?
Arsecn
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Arsecn »

Dar is a meat eater, not a vegan. He also can't spell 'deer' correctly... cmon Noel, you're slipping.
~ 70 Troll Scourge Knight ~

"You're talking a whole lotta Jibba-Jabba."
Seebs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Seebs »

Kilmoll .. you made me spew pepsi out my nose.
Seeber
looking for a WOW server
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

That makes the death of 5 people, all of whom were only responding to radio calls for help, hi-fucking-larious.
How...in any way...is this a laughing matter? :?
It's not, and, in my case at least, it was a purely sarcastic response to Chidoro's original post. Note that I went on to call him a sick asshole. To rejoice at hunters (including a father and son pair) getting killed or to call it poetic justice just makes you, and anyone else that believes these people got what they deserved, a fucking asshole.

I don't hunt (or fish, for that matter), own a gun, and I don't really care to. I see nothing wrong with those that do hunt, though. I have friends and acquaintences that hunt, and happily take the tasty wild game that they provide whenever I have the opportunity to do so. Hunting or fishing for one's meat strikes me as a much more humane way to put meat on the table than, say, buying factory raised beef, pork and poultry where the animals spend their entire brief existances in the least humane of conditions.
Last edited by Xatrei on November 22, 2004, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

While I think Dar's view is a bit extreme, I don't think there's any good justification for hunting anymore. We DID survive off it, because we had no other choice. Now we have MORE than enough meat for anyone's needs. We slaughter too many creatures every year on farms, we don't need to go out and kill wild animals too. Hunting used to be justified, but isn't anymore, because it is not for survival, it is for some sick and twisted idea of bonding with nature. "That's the most beautiful buck I've ever seen...wish I had my gun". <<<<THAT is fucking sick and twisted.

And don't fucking argue that we need hunting to survive when many hunters only do it for SPORT. Sport hunting is incredibly barbaric and should not be legal. If you are killing animals for the sole sake of having their head on your wall, you are a fucking murderer. Simple as that.
Aaeamdar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Aaeamdar »

Yes, I am a vegetarian. I am not a vegan, because I do eat dairy (milk, eggs) from "organic" sources.

Your comments about hunting are moronic. You are acting like I am passing judgment on pre-modern man. That's stupid. The people hunting today are not doing so because they need to, they are doing it because they enjoy killing. Sorry if I can't work up any sympathy for people who enoy killing so much being killed themselves by one of their own. We are well beyond the point where we need to kill and tourture animals for food. But in the case of hunting, its not even about food any more, its about killing for fun.
Rekaar.
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Rekaar. »

So rather than hunt wildlife - as is the natural order of things - and kill them for food after they've had a free life you prefer raising them from birth in cages for eventual slaughter? It's really about you having no firm grasp of reality. You're a picture perfect city boy.
Time makes more converts than reason. - Thomas Paine
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

So rather than hunt wildlife - as is the natural order of things - and kill them for food after they've had a free life you prefer raising them from birth in cages for eventual slaughter? It's really about you having no firm grasp of reality. You're a picture perfect city boy.

No you fucking moron. The farm industry isn't gonna fucking stop or even slow down from people hunting instead of buying beef. All you are doing by hunting is adding to the death count. That is the reality that you ignore. What about sport hunting? You didn't adress that at all. You think that's ok?
Last edited by Keverian FireCry on November 22, 2004, 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: concreteeye

Post by Arundel Pajo »

Re: hunting...

If people eat what they kill, and don't waste it....and as long as wildlife populations are closely monitored and not over-hunted, then I have no real problem with hunting.

I do have issues with people who hunt purely for trophies. You gonna eat that javalina? How about that bobcat?

If it's to put seasonal wild game on the table, then I agree with the sentiment expressed above - it's actually far more humane than factory farms.

My girlfriend is fairly anti-hunting across the board, but then she's also a vegetarian, so her stance on hunting is valid in my eyes.

If somebody is going to be so virulently anti-hunting, even for food, then they'd sure as hell better be vegetarian. The hypocracy in standing against hunting yet scarfing down a factory raised quarter pounder is staggering to say the least.

You have to ask youself if such is the case...are you against hunting because you love the animals, or because you hate them rednecks?
Hawking - 80 Necromancer, AOC Mannannan server, TELoE
Also currently enjoying Left 4 Dead on XBL. :)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

This is not a funny at all and I'm ashamed of those of you that have chosen to make fun of this situation.

Now, if they had been stuffed and mounted in a vicious attack pose, THAT would be fucking hilarious.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Hunting won't put a dent in the commercial meat factories any more than "alternative" farming (free range, organic, pastured, artisinal, heirloom breeds, etc.) will. It's just a little naive to say that hunting an animal that has lived its entire life freely is somehow more barbaric than slaughtering an animal that existed in the same confined space while being pumped full of steroids, antibiotics and who knows what other crap until it's time to meet the pneumatic hammer. The end result is the same: meat on the table, although a legitimate argument can be made that the wild game is "better" in any number of ways.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Meat is expensive, venison, elk, caribou, etc are both delicious and healthier meat than cow and game animal harvests are required to keep the populations manageable. Hey, sounds good to me!

But seriously, to read an article about a family being murdered by some wacko and then go on and say you are happy that these people are dead is pretty fucking pathetic.
en kærlighed småkager
Dexail
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Dexail »

I hit a deer the other night going home. Jumped out to see if I could find it, but it was too dark. So she probably hobbled into the woods after the initial adrenaline rush and is either crippled or dead. Shame too, she would have tasted delicious.

By the way, hunting and animal population is closely monitored by wildlife officials. No hunters = overpopulation of wildlife. Then they either starve or there are a lot more running around to get hit by cars. Maybe we should outlaw motor vehicles.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Just a couple points, I don't think I'm going to change anyone's mind:

Considering the deaths are essentially the same whether via massive shock from an air driven hammer of massive shock from a high velocity bullet, where would you rather spend your 12-24 months of life. A factory farm or in the woods?

Given that we've destroyed all the predators, and aren't likely to re-introduce them how would you rather see an animal die? Hit by a car, starvation, disease or shot? None are pleasant, the last I'd think is the least objectionable. They can't all live, that's not realistic. Neither is relocating them, it's been tried more than once with terrible results.

The "incidental kill" from maintaining a vegetarian diet can greatly exceed what would have been killed "on purpose" to supply people maintaining an omnivorous diet. The numbers of birds and other small animals killed to grow a field of grain or vegetables is astounding. A totally carnivorous diet would likely be the route of least harm.

Nearly the sole reason wildlife numbers are where they are today is directly due to taxes levied againsts hunters and fishermen. Self serving? Quite likely, but no one else would have paid for it 50 years ago, or will pay for it now.

And no, I don't hunt.
Aaeamdar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Aaeamdar »

So rather than hunt wildlife - as is the natural order of things - and kill them for food after they've had a free life you prefer raising them from birth in cages for eventual slaughter?
Umm, no. What part of "I am a vegetarian" did you miss? Frankly, the farm/hunting trade-off is difficult. If I could eleminate one, and only one, I'd eliminate farming on utilitarian princiapls. Farming is by far the most cruel and destructive to animals practice we commit. It is, however, motivated by profit. Hunting is motivated by the enoyment of killing.

So I hold more contempt for the hunter than I do the farmer (who really is no worse than, say a drug dealer - he is a person willing to engage in certain activities because their is a market for it) or the meat eater (who really is eating meat out of habit for the most part - though I am sure there are some who are eating it specifically because they enjoy the cruelty it represents). Farming, however, is a bigger problem. I choose to fight farming by not contributing to industry (by not buying meat and meat products) and supporting the strengthening of anti-cruelty laws.

Hunters are another matter. They are killers who kill because they enjoy killing. I certainly would support any legislation that would make hunting illegal but additionally, unlike the farmers, I do derive some satisfation from reading news reports of their untimely demise at the hands of their own sick pleasures. For what its worth, I'd fully support a hunting range with hunters as the only targets. Voluntarily of course. Sort of a paintball, but with real guns. Then those "sportsman" could involve themselve in a real challenge with their guns.
Arsecn
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Arsecn »

I don't hunt (or fish, for that matter), own a gun, and I don't really care to.
You work in a library or are you in prison?
~ 70 Troll Scourge Knight ~

"You're talking a whole lotta Jibba-Jabba."
Dexail
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Dexail »

Aaeamdar wrote:
I do derive some satisfation from reading news reports of their untimely demise at the hands of their own sick pleasures.
And if someone had said they derive some satisfaction from reading news reports of a homosexual getting AIDS because of his sexual preference, you would fly off the fucking handle.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

By the way, hunting and animal population is closely monitored by wildlife officials. No hunters = overpopulation of wildlife. Then they either starve or there are a lot more running around to get hit by cars. Maybe we should outlaw motor vehicles.
Exactly. In some areas there is an overpopulation of animals and they extend hunting season. Or allow you to kill more than usual. To say all sport hunting should be done away with is a very uneducated opinion.

And I say that as someone who doesn't eat meat. Other than fish but come on... Sushi is tasty.
Nearly the sole reason wildlife numbers are where they are today is directly due to taxes levied againsts hunters and fishermen. Self serving? Quite likely, but no one else would have paid for it 50 years ago, or will pay for it now.
This is also a good point. My dad hunts/fishes and when I was there last he showed me what it costs to get a license for various outdoor activities. It's not exactly cheap.
Last edited by Aslanna on November 22, 2004, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aaeamdar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Aaeamdar »

No hunters = overpopulation of wildlife.
A myth hunters groups want you to believe. In fact, however, birth control (as humerous as that may sound) is actually more effective at population control in areas where man has killed the natural preditors.
Acies
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Acies »

This isn't funny. I do not like personally going out into the woods with the intent of killing an animal, but I do not begrudge those that do. It is part of human nature, hell, even nature. This makes me worried about the state of humanity. Still Dar, though I agree that it is not a nessecityto hunt, those hunters were victims in a crime. It was not a "I am going to kill you for food" or "Kill you to keep from being food" situation. As human beings, we have the ability to reason. This guy ignored our laws and reasoning and murdered 5 people.

What would have made this funny is if a deer killed 5 hunters and wounded 3 more.

**Edited for additional content**
Last edited by Acies on November 22, 2004, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bujinkan is teh win!
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

It isn't more barbaric, it's equally barbaric. This thread happenes to be about hunting though, which is why I'm focusing on that. Farm slaughter is another problem and a much much bigger and more complicated problem, however I wouldn't be bitching about either if I weren't a vegetarian. I am against both.

There is as little reason to be a meat eater these days as there is to be a hunter. It's just not necessary. You can get everything your body needs from plants. Protein, fats, vitamins, carbs, etc. can all be obtained from different fruits, berries, roots, vegetables, nuts, fungi!, and grains and are ALL more healthy for you than meats.

A popular myth is that meat is the best way to get protein, when in fact it's less effecient than getting proteins from plant sources. There, you now have no reason to eat meat besides liking how it tastes. If slaughtering animals is justified by your taste buds attraction to meat(foods can be as addictive as drugs, btw), then that's your decision, but there's plenty of reasons for people to be upset with that. I used to justify it myself, but once you learn about the alternatives and accept them, it's hard to go back to meat.
Last edited by Keverian FireCry on November 22, 2004, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaeamdar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Aaeamdar »

Dexail,
Do you really need your poor analogy explained to you? If so, let me know and I'll be happy to baby step it for you.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Arsecn wrote:
I don't hunt (or fish, for that matter), own a gun, and I don't really care to.
You work in a library or are you in prison?
I don't follow this at all. I don't hunt. I don't fish. I don't own a gun. I don't care to do any of those things, but I don't see anything wrong with any of them. What does that have to do with your response?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

It is exactly this type of "I am a vegetarian, therefore you all are wrong" attitude that caused me to flee places like Los Angeles. Hey man, you can have your latte enima and eat all the bean curd you want.... I think I will stick with hunting and fishing.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Aaeamdar wrote:...birth control is actually more effective at population control in areas where man has killed the natural preditors.
That's almost correct, but impractical in some cases and too expensive in nearly every other.

It's not done widely for very good reasons, especially where you'd think it would be easiest such as in metropolitan areas. It's not a solution except in the very short term, then more animals move in and you're back where you started.