Thief 3 Deadly Shadows

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Thief 3 Deadly Shadows

Post by noel »

Did anyone pick this up? I'm debating checking it out purely from a nostalgia standpoint... Is it horribly bad, or is it decently playable?

Thanks.
Last edited by noel on May 27, 2004, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Kguku
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kguku »

I heard that the XBox version of it is 3rd person view only - but from what I've been reading so far about the PC version is that it seems about on par to the old thief games in respects to graphic levels not being up to snuff with current games. The levels are small but still good, some people groan about the open city mode. If I hear anything more from people I'll let you know.
"When you dance with the devil, the devil don't change, the devil changes you."
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

It was alledgedly originally third person only, but it's my understanding that that has changed. For certain on the PC you can go first person. The people at Penny-arcade.com are raving about the game, going so far as to say they even like the third person mode.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

From what I understand it's 3rd person except under certain circumstances, such as when lock picking.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

My understanding (i've only read about the pc version) was that the view was a toggle, and you could play the entire game in 1st person if you chose...I also read several great reviews, and I most definately plan on picking it up monday or tuesday.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I got it last night. So far I like it, but I'm not yet ready to recommend it. Need to play it a bit more to get more of a feel for it.
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cotto »

Been an avid thief fan for a long time, definately buying it when it comes out in the U.K (yay us, another months wait!). How does the A.I pan out from what you've played. I heard talk of some telepathic guys who gang up on you.
It could be that the only purpose for your every existence, is to serve as a warning to others.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I played through the first mission last night and this morning. I have to say that other than a few minor complaints, I like it a lot. The graphics, though not perfection are a nice evolution in this particular series. They fit well with the history of Thief.

My main complaints are that mouse movement seems a bit weird at times when aiming the bow, movement in general feels a bit odd, and arrows no longer require you to elevate the bow to compensate for gravity over distance. Other than that, so far I like the story, like the game, and had fun playing it.
Kguku
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kguku »

Ok I found out that on the Xbox version you just use the black button to toggle in to first person mode (defaults in 3rd). Maybe I'll rent it this weekend for the Xbox if it's in to try it out.
"When you dance with the devil, the devil don't change, the devil changes you."
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

arrows no longer require you to elevate the bow to compensate for gravity over distance
But that was sweet!!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Keverian FireCry wrote:
arrows no longer require you to elevate the bow to compensate for gravity over distance
But that was sweet!!
That's why I'm complaining it's no longer there, sir! :P
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Has anyone been able to play this from the XBOX hdd? Just curious as it locks on me when Loading..
Fistinyereyes
No Stars!

Post by Fistinyereyes »

Been playing the Xbox version... it's the first console game since Metal Arms that I've truely liked playing.

~Fisty
Karae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Karae »

noel wrote:arrows no longer require you to elevate the bow to compensate for gravity over distance.
You do, but I'd say gravity only has maybe 20% the effect on arrows it had in Thief: The Dark Project and Thief: The Metal Age, so you only need to compensate at much greater distances. I just chalked it up to Garrett finally getting a decent bow, personally.
War pickles men in a brine of disgust and dread.