Gaining weight?

Forum for kung fu, and grappling, and dolphins, and street fights, and body building, and.....

Moderator: The Kwon

MooZilla
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Gaining weight?

Post by MooZilla »

Similar to Asheran's situation here. I'm 5'11" weighing 120 pounds. Yeah i know, ouch. My body fat is at 3%, so the small amount of meat on my bones is mostly muscle. I really really need to gain weight. There aren't any gyms close by and my mom isn't willing to drive me 30 minutes to pick me up again in another hour or two.

I'm just starting to eat lots of protein high foods (as well as protein bars) For my workouts, 3x a week, i usually do 5 sets of 15 pushups with my feet on a chair, 4 sets of 30 situps, and 4 sets of 7-10 pull ups. Is the high protein diet the way to go for me?
i am a liberal.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Gaining weight?

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

MooZilla wrote:Similar to Asheran's situation here. I'm 5'11" weighing 120 pounds. Yeah i know, ouch. My body fat is at 3%, so the small amount of meat on my bones is mostly muscle. I really really need to gain weight. There aren't any gyms close by and my mom isn't willing to drive me 30 minutes to pick me up again in another hour or two.

I'm just starting to eat lots of protein high foods (as well as protein bars) For my workouts, 3x a week, i usually do 5 sets of 15 pushups with my feet on a chair, 4 sets of 30 situps, and 4 sets of 7-10 pull ups. Is the high protein diet the way to go for me?
Not really sure how to help you on the weight issue, as I am having the same problem (but hopefully Kwons advice will help me), but I'm sure you could use things around the house to work out with. Do curls with cans of vegetables because even if they arent heavy, do a shitload of those and your arm will be ready to fall off. You could also get your girlfriend to sit on your shoulders while you do pushups, lol. Though, not sure if you could do any at all that way.
MooZilla
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by MooZilla »

I've tried it. Collapsed after 5. Then we couldnt wait any longer, and got wild. THAT was a workout. :D

I have two 16 pound weights that i use for curls.
i am a liberal.
Menelaos
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Menelaos »

Eat a lot of egg whites and chicken breasts and fish, combined with lots of rice. Keep doing your cardio or you will get too much fat buildup with that kind of overload of protein and carbs. Pump iron...You need to do more weight with less reps if you really want to build them muscles up. Higher reps and less weight builds tone, not mass, in general. More weight, less reps. Enough weight to do just barely be able to do 8 to 10 reps, 4 times (sets), is generally the consensus method of building mass.

Just remember, more reps with light weight = tone (striations and cut). Less reps with higher weight = mass and strength.
MooZilla
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by MooZilla »

Yeah i've been using lighter weights, like i said. And my muscle tone is pretty good.
i am a liberal.
Alfan
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Alfan »

If you want to gain weight you can't do any sort of extensive cardio. It just doesn't work. What bodybuilders do (and you shouldn't) is get really large in the off-season and then drop a ton of weight in a 12 week pre-season regiment.

I cant see how this is healthy so don't even consider it =P. But if you want to gain weight lift free weights four times a week and eat LOTS of protein. Mix it up though. Soy protein, whey protein, and then lots of chicken. And if you're not opposed to it you can try creatine or NO2 as well. Both work very well but you have to make sure to cycle it or you wont get results (also, some people dont like taking supplements for whatever reason).

It sounds like you need to mix up your lifting routine. You need to add some mass building max out excercises or you'll just continue to tone what you have. With no gym its going to be a lot harder :/ But if you do enough pushup variations (wide, diamond, normal) and continue with pullups, dips, and other stuff that doesnt require a gym you might be able to do it!
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

MooZilla wrote:Similar to Asheran's situation here. I'm 5'11" weighing 120 pounds. Yeah i know, ouch. My body fat is at 3%, so the small amount of meat on my bones is mostly muscle. I really really need to gain weight. There aren't any gyms close by and my mom isn't willing to drive me 30 minutes to pick me up again in another hour or two.

Before you work out, being 5'11 120 pounds...you need to tone down on cardi excersize and eat a lot of carbs/fats/sugar and gain some weight in fat, being that that fat can turn into muscle a lot easyer...if your having trouble, get a 12 pack of doughnuts. Im not the biggest expert on weight gaining, but it seems that its a lot healthier to build muscle after you get some fat on you.
-xzionis human mage on mannoroth
-zeltharath tauren shaman on wildhammer
Alfan
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Alfan »

Yea, Xzion, you're right. It's impossible to gain any considerable mass while exercising like a fool. All the body builders get really fat in the off season, like Big Ron Coleman.

-Alfan

http://www.bigroncoleman.com

. . . unreal
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Alfan wrote:Yea, Xzion, you're right. It's impossible to gain any considerable mass while exercising like a fool. All the body builders get really fat in the off season, like Big Ron Coleman.

-Alfan

http://www.bigroncoleman.com

. . . unreal
Yahyah, when the fuck you gettin back on the game shorty?
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
MooZilla
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by MooZilla »

Xzion wrote:

Before you work out, being 5'11 120 pounds...you need to tone down on cardi excersize and eat a lot of carbs/fats/sugar and gain some weight in fat, being that that fat can turn into muscle a lot easyer...if your having trouble, get a 12 pack of doughnuts. Im not the biggest expert on weight gaining, but it seems that its a lot healthier to build muscle after you get some fat on you.
All I really do is play basketball about 4 days a week for an hour...Along with my 2 hours of tennis every sat. Thats hardly anything.
i am a liberal.
Abelard
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Abelard »

start taking whey protein shakes..i take three a day and i've gained 15 pounds this year.

make sure you work out though or you'll get fatty
MooZilla
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by MooZilla »

The high protein/high carb diet seems to be working out really well. I've gained 8 pounds over the past 2 weeks. :D
i am a liberal.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Me too, but im not trying to. Chips and salsa are just too good.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

MooZilla wrote:The high protein/high carb diet seems to be working out really well. I've gained 8 pounds over the past 2 weeks. :D
Bah, screw you, I hurt my arm like 2 or 3 weeks ago and have lost like 5 or 6 lbs while I couldnt work out.
MooZilla
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by MooZilla »

Hehehe :D
i am a liberal.