Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Deadwood

Post by Sylvus »

Anyone catch the opener on HBO? If not, it's a new Western drama series set in the 1870s mining camp/town of Deadwood, which was founded on land that belonged to the Native Americans and is not subject to the laws of the United States.

The premise had really gotten my attention, and I think the show really delivered. It's been a while since there has been a good Western series on TV, I think HBO might have just raised the bar again. One thing that I don't know for certain, when reading the digital cable information about the show it said that it was just a 12 episode thing, so I don't know if there will be multiple seasons or what.

Anyway, check it out if you missed it. I think they are doing encore presentations at 9 or 10pm on mondays. It airs right after the Sopranos.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

I'll try and catch it tonight.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Hamlas3r
PSN ID: Hamlaser

Post by Trias »

i just picked up the season one boxed set and have watched the first three eps...holy crap this show is so good
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Trias wrote:i just picked up the season one boxed set and have watched the first three eps...holy crap this show is so good
This can't be the most active Deadwood thread!

First time watching it or just enjoying it again? I didn't miss season three's premiere did I?
Taison Earbiter
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Taison Earbiter »

Season 3 starts in June.
"The secret of being boring is to say everything."
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Yeah, season 3 was pushed back to June. and Season 2's DVD release was pushed back to just before that.

HBO just started re-airing Season 2 in order starting saturday (3 days ago).
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

im pretty pissed off about them pushing back season 2.
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Hamlas3r
PSN ID: Hamlaser

Post by Trias »

Winnow wrote:
Trias wrote:i just picked up the season one boxed set and have watched the first three eps...holy crap this show is so good
This can't be the most active Deadwood thread!

First time watching it or just enjoying it again? I didn't miss season three's premiere did I?
this is my first time seeing it...i have just one episode left to watch now...and from reading this thread i am totally bummed that season 2 isn't out on dvd yet and that i missed the reshowing of the first episode of season 2 just last saturday gah.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Trias wrote: i am totally bummed that season 2 isn't out on dvd yet and that i missed the reshowing of the first episode of season 2 just last saturday gah.
Yeah, the first episode of season 2 sets up a lot of the story. Check HBO's listings. They replay their series several times throughout the week so you can probably still catch it before this weekend.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I am so looking forward to Season 3!!! I thought S2 was on DVD already...weird.

also, I hope that Rome has a second season...not as good as Sopranos or Deadwood--but damn fine stuff, regardless.
en kærlighed småkager
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Season 2 is also floating around torrent sites at the moment. I just finished downloading it earlier today.

(Is that really illegal, since I have HBO and pay for it? Just curious.)
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Xouqoa wrote:(Is that really illegal, since I have HBO and pay for it? Just curious.)
I would guess that it is, since you still have to pay if you want the DVDs of it. Seems like a similar situation to me.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

but you're allowed to record a program from a station that you pay for, as long as it's for your own entertainment and not for profit or rebroadcast...so how would this be any different?

Regardless, I'll be picking up season2 when it finally releases.

We watched the first episode of season 2 yesterday. STARTS OFF WITH A BANG :D
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

welcome to fucking deadwood.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Haven't seen this.

Isn't Deadwood the mining town Wild Bill Hickok went to when he was washed up and near blind. Then he got shot in while playing poker (had a pair of Aces and a pair of Eights, later known as the "Dead Man's Hand").

Is he a character in it? Is it fictional, historical or historical fiction?
- Ash
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

To sum up almost all of those questions.....yup.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

he is a character in season one, but they off him pretty early into it, due to most people thinking the show would be about him. a lot of the characters in this are real historical figures and of course a lot of characters too. this show tries to stay as close to history as possible, and does a fairly good job of it imo.

maybe a slight spoiler for season 3(this info is from before season 2) but wyatt earp goes to deadwood where after a few months (years?) bullock kicks him out of town. that is historically true, but whether or not its in the new season is all speculation.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I was nosing around on IMDB and saw that Wyatt Earp will appear in episode 3.8 and 3.9. Interestingly, the guy playing Earp is Gale Harold who played one of the lead roles in Showtime's QAF.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348914/episodes#season-3
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Tuberok
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Tuberok »

San Francisco cocksucker
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

new commercials popping up for deadwood. less than 2 months to wait!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Calamity Jane: Maybe I will have a fuckin' drink, for sociability's sake and 'cause I'm a fuckin' drunk.

Joanie Stubbs: What's your preference?

Calamity Jane: That it ain't been previously swallowed.
Tuberok
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Tuberok »

Ouch! I burnt my fucking snatch!
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

"You suck cock by choice."

One of the best lines ever!
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Moonwynd wrote:"You suck cock by choice."

One of the best lines ever!
I would have to agree with you!

This is my favorite show, by a long reach.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Winnow wrote:Calamity Jane: Maybe I will have a fuckin' drink, for sociability's sake and 'cause I'm a fuckin' drunk.

Joanie Stubbs: What's your preference?

Calamity Jane: That it ain't been previously swallowed.
YES!

I can't wait for S3!!!

Side note: What is the story with Rome Season 2? It gonna happen?
en kærlighed småkager
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

rome is early next year as ive heard.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Them little teaser trailers before Sopranos are pretty fucking cool. June 11th, eh?
en kærlighed småkager
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

yes along with new entourage and dane cooks tourgasm as well as one more i think. this summer will have a kickass block of television on sundays.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zamtuk wrote:yes along with new entourage and dane cooks tourgasm as well as one more i think. this summer will have a kickass block of television on sundays.
Hell yes.

Deadwood
Sopranos
Rome
Entourage

Four kick ass series from HBO. What a beautiful thing. I wish Rome was airing sooner but it will be worth the wait.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Oh noes. My faith in HBO has been greatly shaken :(
"Deadwood," RIP?
Friday May 12 7:21 PM ET

By Gina Serpe

Al Swearengen may be riding off into the effin' sunset a little sooner than expected.

HBO has confirmed that it will not pick up the contract options for Deadwood cast members, indicating that the upcoming third season of the cuss-happy western may be its last.

According to Variety, the ensemble's contracts will expire on June 11, the date of the third-season premiere, and while technically this makes any cancellation news premature, the chances of the show being resuscitated at this point are unlikely.

The decision to allow the contracts lapse means that the show's two leads, Ian McShane and Timothy Olyphant, as well as the stable of supporting players, have no further obligation to the critically adored show and are free to pursue other acting gigs.

The news comes just three weeks after series creator and executive producer David Milch spoke to the Boston Globe and offered a decidedly different take on the fate of the show, which is set in the outlaw mining camp of Deadwood in the late 1870s.

"There's a time when creative and commercial intentions coincide," Milch told the newspaper. "Then they diverge. If a series is successful, the commercial interest is in keeping it on, even after the creative interest is in ending it.

"With Deadwood, my intention is to end at the end of the fourth season. I can't speak for anyone else, but that's where I'm getting off the bus."

While Variety suggests that HBO may reverse itself and pick up Deadwood for one more season, Milch is already working with the cable network on a new project, John from Cincinnati. Barring any last-minute negotiation hitches, work is expected to begin soon on a pilot episode to the show, which is described as a "surf noir."

Still Deadwood's apparent demise is a bit puzzling. Yes, the second-season premiere drew 2.8 million viewers--3 million fewer than the series premiere--but it still ranked as one of HBO's better performers last year.

The show has proved a critical favorite, as well. At last September's Emmy Awards, the show racked up five trophies out of 11 nominations; McShane took home the 2005 Golden Globe as Best Actor in a Drama Series; the American Film Institute named the show one of the Top 10 TV programs of 2005; and the series took home a Peabody Award for excellence in media and television.

In any event, the third and likely final 12-episode season kicks off June 11.
All I can say is, buh?!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

As much as I like Deadwood, I think three seasons may be just about right for the series. If I dont' detect a drop off in quality at the end of season three and there are cliffhangers, I'll be pissed though.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

according to dan dority (the bartender at the gem) hbo lost their ass on hbo series. rome took over 100 million to make and wasnt that popular, carnivale was mostly a bust unless you were one of the ten people that watched it. and according to him one of the executives fucked up the overseas deal on deadwood to the extent that they saw no return on the investment. so basically they only made money off of the us on deadwood, being the main reason they had to pull the plug.

after talking to david milch, they said they would give him a 2-3 hour season finale to finish everything up. he said no deal, it wouldnt be fair to the writers or the viewers. so its pretty much a mystery to everyone how this season will end.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

it was pretty obvious from all the behind the scenes/making of rome that was shown on history channel that production must have cost a fucking fortune. It's a shame that they've fuckered this up to such a great extent.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I give HBO huge props for making these quality series in the first place. We should count ourselves lucky that we get at least one more season of Deadwood and Rome.

Entourage is probably done after this season as well.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

nah, i think entourage will go on. its cheap to make (most locations let them shoot for free for the publicity) and its only 30 minutes.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

As an aside, my S1 set just arrived and I re-watched the first 4 episodes...such a fucking addicting show.... S2 will be otw vary soon. :) Will be nice and primed for the June S3 release......bout fackin time.
en kærlighed småkager
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

season 2 is on hbo on demand if, like me, you cant wait.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zamtuk wrote:season 2 is on hbo on demand if, like me, you cant wait.
I decided to pick up an HD-DVR from Cox Cable to give it a try a few days ago as my DirecTivo HD crashed and DTV is in the middle of coming out with new mpeg4 hardware which isn't ready yet.

So far, I'm happy with the features of the HD-DVR for Cox. It includes On Demand although I haven't tried it yet. It seems too good to be true though that you can access all the HBO series and Movies whenever you want for free (if you subcribe to HBO). I'll play around with it tonight.

So far, the benefits of Cox Cable over DirecTV are the true 1080i HDTV 1920X1200 (instead of HD-Lite that DirecTV offers) and this On Demand stuff. Most importantly, it hasn't screwed up my 9mbps download stream at all. Another benefit is no service contract and zero charge for the HD-DVR (15/month lease) so I can dump it anytime. I was also impressed that it was only a ten minute call to Cox to add digital cable and a no hassle trip to a Cox payment center to pick up the HD-DVR. It looks like Cable has come a long way since I dumped them back in the early 90's for DirecTV.

I've missed all the Sopranos this season since episode two, so am looking forward to using the free HBO On Demand to watch the recent episodes.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

There's apparently still hope that Deadwood will continue, but I don't know how legit the source is.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060605a.php
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

this sucks. on the sidebar of that story was this article

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060605l.php

they will wrap up deadwood with a pair of 2 hour episodes
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Deadwood

Post by Fairweather Pure »

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/071002e.php

HBO is not going to do the Deadwood wrap ups.
Those hoping HBO would commit to their promise of at least one "Deadwood" TV movie to wrap up events in the series, well the bad news is it ain't going to happen.

Out doing promotions for "The Seeker", actor Ian McShane told Cinematical that "I just got a call on Friday from ... a dear friend of mine, who told me that they're packing up the ranch. They're dismantling the ranch and taking the stuff out. That ship is gonna sail. Bonsoir, Deadwood."

With the strike and his current schedule anyhow, McShane admits that late next year would be the earliest he could commit to any such project. He's also not happy - "You feel cheated? Imagine how I feel!. We all do. We all do... But everything has to come to an end, babe."
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

MOTHERFUCKER! Up until now I was having a fucking great week. This is some fucking sad, sad news. FUCK!

edit: fuck :doubt:
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

You mean "COCKSUCKER!"

I fucking hate HBO right now.

I'm going to try to console myself with some canned peaches....
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Don't forget the cinnamon!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Dude, now I'm totally craving canned peaches.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Dregor Thule wrote:Dude, now I'm totally craving canned peaches.

Same idea, but I am thinking pears.
en kærlighed småkager
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Fucking cunts
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

We are finally getting the wrap up... Even if it is 12+ years overdue. May 31st... Can't wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0WrXmhvXTA
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--