Work Relocation

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Pahreyia
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Work Relocation

Post by Pahreyia »

So I got word today that my company is planning on moving from City of Industry to Irvine sometime around June. Currently, the office is about 25 miles away from my house, and I have a 35-45 minute commute each day. I only really get into traffic on one specific interchange on the freeway, and my exit is about a half mile past the worst of it. This new location will be closer to 55 or 60 miles away each way. I can expect to have a 60 to 90 minute commute on a good day.

So the question is: for a company that pays me well, provides full paid medical/dental/vision, full time employment in the IT industry, bonuses, company trips/parties, monthly catered lunches, free trips to disneyland, etc... Is it worth making double the commute distance?

The house that I live in is more than adequate for me, the rent is cheap (total rent+utilities are about 1/4 of my monthly salary). If I were to relocate to Orange County, I could reasonably expect to be paying twice as much for rent and utilities on an apartment or shared living space. Plus I will be ~50 miles from all of my friends. But, I will be a lot closer to the beaches...

Halp!
Sylvos
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sylvos »

move
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

2-3 hours travelling a day is a lot of life wasted.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Ask your company for relocation fees...and move halfway there. Keeps you close to your friends, and your commute bearable.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Move someplace REALLY close to work. 2 minute commute > ALL
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

Depends if the money spent on gas + time spent on commute is worth the money saved by staying where you are and staying close to your friends.

Dunno, tough call there - I love living near my work and hate driving. But if you don't mind driving, it might not be too bad. Maybe work can adjust your hours so that you aren't having to come in and leave at the peak of rush hour traffic.
Pahreyia
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pahreyia »

I work from 6am to 3pm daily. I'll be in traffic no matter what if I commute.
Sylvos
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sylvos »

that's what you get for living in California
sucker!
Pahreyia
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pahreyia »

Soon as I have the cash and the ability to transfer, Seattle here I come.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

vn_Tanc wrote:2-3 hours travelling a day is a lot of life wasted.
That's how I look at it. I used to live in Maryland. I got laid off and about the only jobs I could find were down in the Bethesda/DC area. From where I was that was at least a 90 minute trip through traffic everyday (one way). I said heck with that and took a job out of state and relocated. So now I walk to work in about 10 minutes. And fill my gas tank every 4 months.

I'll never commute over 30 minutes if I can help it. Life is too valuable to waste three hours a day in your car. Not to mention the stress (and risk) from all the idiot drivers on the road.

(And yes, I could have relocated within Maryland. But the DC area is expensive. It's cheaper a county or three away but then you're in your car 3 hours a day. It's a no win situation!)
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

I'd hit them up for relocation assistance and try to find a place closer to the office. That commute would suck every day, I used to do it! (Cept in Dallas, not in Cali)
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
xZiBiT
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by xZiBiT »

Commuting is the suck IMHO.

When I worked at Ford, I got transferred from Romeo to Livonia which is abiout 60miles difference in commute. I lived in Port Huron and commuted to Livonia (110 miles one way). The drive was a nightmare and took about 2.5 hours to get to work after waking up at 4am to beat traffic and the ride home was 3.5 hours+. I did that everyday for over a year and it drained me and strained all my personal relationships.

10 hours working + 6+ hours driving = no life

I didn't flat out quit but I explored other employment possibilities and when a good one opened up. I took it. My commute now in total is about 50 mins. I have too much free time now.
Planetside
poppa - Terran VV Markov
poppa - N00b Conglomerate Emerald
xzibit - NC Markov
xzibit - VS Emerald
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

a lot of companies arent paying relocation assistance in the current job market. so i'm not sure you'll have much luck there.

also this company is probably going to draw a line in the sand and not give it to anybody (except the VP of benefits probably :p). because that opens the floodgates.

try the commute, and if it sucks dick, put your house on the market i guess.

we bought a house earlier this year, and proximity to work was a huge part of our decision making. our traffic isn't as bad as LA's, but it is bad.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Voronwë wrote:a lot of companies arent paying relocation assistance in the current job market. so i'm not sure you'll have much luck there
Yeah, I paid for the relocation myself. Was roughly $2500 counting temporary housing. But that was out of state though. Should be able to do it fairly inexpensively if it's a short move and you don't mind doing it yourself.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

City of Industry to Irvine..... yeah, that drive fucking sucks at any hour or any day. Although the housing costs in the Irvine/Newport area are very very high, try Costa Mesa around the 17th street area. Housing is much more affordable and it is still a nice area. You can commute to work via the 55 or by using back streets. Also check Huntington Beach. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Pahreyia
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pahreyia »

Well, I live in Rancho Cucamonga Specifically Canno.. which makes it worse... 57/60 interchange, to the 57/5 and then 5/55.. You're dead in the water that route, the alternate being the 91. <shudder>

Thanks for the recommendation of the Costa Mesa area. I remember some friends living there when I was going to UCI and it wasn't half bad. The main issue right now is that I'm paying peanuts to live with a friend, and no matter what I do, I'll be paying out the ears for anything in that area. :x
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Pahreyia,

I did the Cincinnati to Dayton commute, 53.6 miles from driveway to parking lot one way for a year. At first it was no biggie, then I managed to keep sane by making cd compilations, then I car pooled for a bit, then I etc

In the end, the commute is not worth it, these are hours of your life your throw away for nothing except cost to you in car repair and maintenance.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

I don't know where you live now, Pah but you're right - most likely than not, you'll be spending more money on rent/mortgage here in OC. I just moved from Lake Elsinore where we owned a 3 bedroom house with a huge yard to a 2 bedroom townhouse in Huntington Beach with no yard and we're spending over $300 more monthly. Also, depending on where in Irvine it's gonna be, you might still be looking at a fairly long commute were you to move to HB. I just went to an interview there (Irvine) earlier this week and it took me a good 40 minutes to get there.

I say your best bet is to try to find something comparable to what you're making now that's a little closer to home in the meanwhile. If you don't, then start weighing all of your other options. 2+ hours a day is way too many to spend driving when you could be using them to relax or hang out with your friends.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Oh duh, I knew that. Dang, that is a hell of a drive from that area regardless. If you plan on eventually moving to the Seattle area, save yourself the nightmare commute and at least move to Huntington or Costa Mesa for the time being. You may also want to check out Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo or the El Toro area. I am not sure on prices there, and they may be more than than HM/CM, but they are easy commutes to the Irvine business district....

Stay away from Santa Ana. :D
en kærlighed småkager
Pahreyia
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pahreyia »

Ewww... Santa Ana :-& I wanted to avoid going anywhere near Santa Ana, Anaheim, Garden Grove, Tustin, Stanton and Yorba Linda.

Mission Viejo's a good recommendation however.. I'm going to take a serious look at that area, thanks. Luckily I have ~6 months to figure something out. It's just going to burn the bank having to pay so much more for a place to live :?
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Move, plain and simple. The way the IT market is atm with all the ovreseas outsourcing that occurs, I would not want to lose the nice work situation you have if I were in your shoes. Your company probably knows this which is why they can probably do this move without paying any relocation. Unless you have some high demand niche skill in IT, its probably best to move near your new location and just drive to visit friends on offdays.

I live in Lake Forrest now, and its actually pretty descent. I can't really gage the cost of living, having moved from Wisconsin to here, but no amount of money is worth navigating the 5 during prime rush hour. There are plenty of things to do in Orange and your pretty well only an hour away from many key places. The only bad part about Orange is the town seems to go to sleep at 8pm; you cant even order a fucking pizza here after 9pm. I think if you are renting where you are now, you won't mind Orange County at all.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

I did a 75 minute commute once (one way) for about 6 months and it sucks ass after a while. The major reason I took my current job was because I could walk to work and there is no traffic. I had to give up $20k to do so though. It was definitely worth it though.

My advice would be to try negotiating. I am not sure what your exact job is but maybe they will let you telecommute a couple days a week. This would make that drive a hell of a lot bearable. If the company is total ass though and trying to forcepeople out then this is a good way of doing it. If you quit then I don't think you are eligible for unemployment, regardless for the reasons.

If the company won't budge then I would start looking for another job. Maybe in 6 months you can find something else. I have found that when things looked bleak, I was usually able to find something even better than what I had.
Deward
Venti
Gets Around
Gets Around

Every morning...

Post by Venti »

I and 7 million of my closest friends all try to occupy the same space on the 91 freeway. = (

I commute from the Temecula Valley to Santa Ana or Mission viejo alternately during the week and it's generally near 2 hours to get in, and 90 minutes to get home.

It's probably safe to say that you will be going to work more than you will be driving to see your friends, so moving sounds like the thing for you.

If you decide to commute, get books on tape or lots of music. Because your shift starts at 6, you will miss the majority of the problems on the 91 and 55. Since you're going to Irvine though, you can consider using the 241 which cuts off the 91 just west of Green River and drops you right into Irvine. The traffic in your way really heats up at 6, so you'd be ahead of most of the trouble.

Edit: Avoiding the 57 entirely would be a good plan.
~Venti
Pahreyia
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pahreyia »

I used to live off of University and Culver (?) in Irvine a few years ago. I used to have to drive home to get food/cash while I was in college and had a s/o in Santa Ana. I've lived and cursed on those freeways before. I do not look forward to attempting that again with a much longer drive. I'm thinking that moving may be the best option for me at this point... So I'll probably be heading down to that area in the next few days to just check it out.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I commute 30 minutes each way to work and hate it. My previous job was located right across the street from my home. I could drive and get there in 5 minutes or walk in about 8 minutes. I drove : )

Commuting sucks no matter what but anything over 15 minutes one way has extra suckage added with a sprinkling of shitty to top it off.

It sounds like you have a low cost of living place you're happy with. Perhaps try out the commute for awhile and if you hate it enough to move, then find a place closer.
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

GTFO of Rancho, and bolt to the OC! It will be more expensive, and furhter away from friends....but how much time do you spend after work hanging with friends?
Pahreyia
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pahreyia »

I live with my friends. Hence the problem. :-x

The few friends that I don't live with, live within 2 miles of my house.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Pahreyia wrote:I live with my friends. Hence the problem. :-x

The few friends that I don't live with, live within 2 miles of my house.
Which friend is holding that cat? If your friends are going to be scaring your cat then maybe you should get some new friends!
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

While a 32 mile commute in Arkansas shouldn't be anything with our population my 30 min. trip had grown to usually 90 min each way. At the time I really didn't think about it... I though hell people all over America do this, why should it bother me. I really didn't get to see my wife much except the weekends but I didn't think it was that bad...

About 3.5 years ago I took a job closer to home (at the time 10 min, and since moving a few months ago it's only 3 min). I really can't put into words how great it is to not have that drive everyday. My stress level has gone down to almost zero, I work as many and sometimes more hours than I use to but it just dosen't bother me... most likely because I'm not dealing with all those stupid people for 2-3 hours a day.

Since my son was born about 14 months ago I just can't imagine driving that much anymore, I would miss too much of his life AND I realize how much of mine I was missing.

You might ask them if you can work from home 2 or 3 days a week. If so that could make a big difference. Especially if you were able to do it on Monday and Fridays.

GL!
Marb