Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Crawfish Etouffee'

Post by Arborealus »

Crawfish Etouffee'

Ingredients:

5 pounds crawfish tails, peeled and deveined with the fat
(if they are precooked reduce cooking time just warm them through)
2 bunches of scallions (green onions) chopped
1 large white onion chopped
1/4 chopped bell pepper (red and yellow make it prettier)
2 ribs celery chopped
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 stick sweet butter (butter that's unsalted)
12 oz Fish Stock (Chicken substitutes nicely)
2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with equal amounts of water

Instructions

Ok...This one's much quicker I promise...

So...Put the olive oil and butter in your brand new huge frying pan...And put it over high heat...Sautee' the veggies until the onions clarify...Add the crawfish and fat (the fat is the yellowish stuff crawfish come packed in when frozen)...If there was no fat the add enough tomato paste to give it a yellowish-orange color...Not enough to give it a tomato flavor... If the crawfish were precooked then warm them for a minute or two...If they were fresh cook them until just opaque...Over cooked seafood is rubbery and nasty...

Add the stock, let it warm through and then thicken using the cornstarch...The sauce should just coat a spoon...The whole process should take about ten minutes, so have everything ready before you start...

Serve as an entree' over rice...This also makes a fine topping for baked catfish...
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

This is Sylvos' favorite food in all the world. Unfortuantely, in Oregon, crawfish tails aren't easy to come by and have to be shipped in and pre-ordered. So as of yet, I've refrained from trying to make it.

Anyone ever order crawfish online? I haven't checked with my local grocer's seafood department if it is something they are willing and able to special order or not.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Crawfish tails freeze fine and are pretty widely available. I think you'd be fine ordering them online let me know if you need a source...Fresh are better but I use frozen out of season...:)

If you're in Aus, Yabbies will do if you can get 'em...

Shrimp Etouffee' is also very nice though it tastes quite different...
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Sirensa wrote:This is Sylvos' favorite food in all the world.
That's funny, it's damn close to Sylvus' favorite food in all the world as well.

I'll probably try making this sometime, it sounds pretty easy.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Arborealus wrote:Shrimp Etouffee' is also very nice though it tastes quite different...
If you get can green shrimp (bay shrimp), it tastes a lot more like it would if made with crawfish. I don't know if you can get them other than fresh though, they're very fatty and have a definite greenish color to them.

I've bought them all along the gulf coast, I'm sure someone ships them.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Sirensa wrote:This is Sylvos' favorite food in all the world. Unfortuantely, in Oregon, crawfish tails aren't easy to come by and have to be shipped in and pre-ordered. So as of yet, I've refrained from trying to make it.

Anyone ever order crawfish online? I haven't checked with my local grocer's seafood department if it is something they are willing and able to special order or not.
I will betcha any reputable fish market can order them for you, I can get them here in cali and when I was up in seattle, just talk to your fishmonger at a good store. You'd be amazed what these guys will do if someone wants the stuff, I get 10# of fresh chicken bones every week for stocks for nothin, the butchers are just happy to see someone using it. A little trick if you like making stocks, make it, reduce it by like 75% then freeze it in ice cube trays and put in plastic bags in the freezer, use a cube and a few oz water any time you need real stock.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

When we had a crawfish boil here in Cali - We just ordered from Ralphs, took them like 3 or 4 days, but we got them in live. Wasn't terribly expensive.
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Tyarra
No Stars!

Crawfish

Post by Tyarra »

Actually, ordering them from Ralphs was easy.

Since I ordered on Wednesday, but didn't need them until Saturday, it took that long, but I could have ordered them on Thursday or early on Friday, and they would have had them in. Oh yes ... they were live.

And while they were probably on par with shrimp costs, they were way more expensive than if they'd been bought in Mississippi the same weekend. :) I paid about $7/lb for them -- the SO's old man told him that they were selling for $.99/lb at Kroger that same weekend. :)
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Crawfish Etouffee'

Post by Canelek »

I had wonderful mudbug etouffee last weekend at Jake's (old, awesome restaurant downtown).

It was super-dark, so I figured they started with a dark roux?
en kærlighed småkager