Post by Arborealus »

Red Beans and Rice

Ingredients:

8 pounds, small red beans
1/4 cup of oil
1cup red wine
1 bunch of scallions (or green onions) chopped
2 large white onions chopped
1 stalk of celery chopped (not just 1 rib)
3 large bell peppers chopped
2 pounds lean, smoked, pork (Tasso)
5 pounds mixed smoked pork sausage
(I like the hot stuff, and some Andouille if you can get it where you live...)
5 bay leaves
Ground Cayenne Pepper
Tabasco Sauce
Worchestershire Sauce
Salt
Rice
1 six pack of your favorite beer
A whole lot of hungry people!

Instructions:

Ok, get you a huge pot...lol...mine is about 20 quarts...you'll also need a large frying pan, and another smaller pot...Ok got it all...now...first you put 7 pounds of the red beans in the big pot...the other 1 pound put in the smaller pot...Now...following the instructions on the bag...soak the beans over night...Sweet dreams...

Good morning sunshine...Ready to start again?...Ok...well...got that beer handy?...Good...Open one and take a good long pull...The beer doesn't go in the recipe...It's for the cook...This is gonna be a long hot process...Oh, if you want to you can add it to the pot...You'll see...Anything can go in the pot...

Now...Pour all that nasty looking water off of the beans...Throw it out...Set the pots with the beans aside for now...Get out that big skillet...Got a helper?...If so...Set them to cutting up the sausage and tasso....All the tasso and 3 pounds of the sausage should be cut into bite or 2 bite sized pieces...I like pieces about 2-3 inches long...Set all this aside for later...The remaining 2 pounds of sausage should be cut into pieces about 1/2 inch thick slices...About 1 and 1/2 pounds of the thinly sliced sausage goes into the big pot right on top of the beans...1/4 fourth pound goes into the small pot with beans...the other 1/4 pound well...set it over there, for now...Ok, I hope you aren't still holding the skillet...

Now to the stove...Put the oil in the skillet...And put it on a medium high flame...When the oil gets hot...This would be before the smoke and flames start...grab the sausage you set over there...And toss it in the skillet...Add some Worchestershire sauce and some tabasco...how much?...You're thinking way too hard...drink a bit more beer...Now...That should start smelling pretty good...Add all the chopped veggies...Its about at this time you figure out you need a much bigger skillet...Ok...Now, move it all around a bit while drinking some more beer...You don't want to clarify the onions just sweat all the veggies a bit...Maybe ten minutes...Now remove the pan from the heat...Put most of this mixture on top of the Big pot of beans...Put the rest on the small pot...Put the skillet back on high heat and deglase the pan with the red wine...This just means pour the red wine in the pan and scrape all the junk that has stuck to it off...When you can't feel any more chunks of stuff on the bottom...Pour the liquid into the Big bean pot...Ok...now drink some more beer...Damn, aren't you glad I was thinking about you when I typed this recipe...?

Ok...Now add water to both pots of beans until all ingredients are just covered...I know the sausage floats...just cover the rest of the stuff...Add the bay leaves and a little salt to the big pot of beans...Put both pot of beans on the stove on low flame...And stir them every now and then...Now, the beans in the small pot will be cooked first...Here's the trick...When the small pot of beans is soft...Drain the liquid off of the small pot and put the balance of the contents into a blender or food processor...Process this into a paste... Put this paste into the big pot to thicken the mixture...Cute trick eh?...The texture should be like a very thick soup...

About 45 minutes before you are ready to eat...Like you haven't been munching on this stuff all day long...Add the remaining sausage, the tasso, and season to taste with Cayenne Pepper, Salt, Tabasco and and Worchestershire...It shouldn't be firey hot on the first taste...But develop a good slow burn on the tongue...

Serve over a hot bowl of rice, with cornbread on the side...And tell your friends to go get some more beer...Good enough?...enjoy...
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Red Beans and Rice

Post by Canelek »

Bump, since we are on the subject of rice and beans.
en kærlighed småkager
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Oh my god, that sounds really good too. Thanks Can.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I was inspired to dig through the years.

The cool thing about these types of dishes is that you can do them in so many different ways and almost always have a tasty result.
en kærlighed småkager
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I just want to add that cooking under Arb is fun!
(he also makes wicked good food)
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Hush and keep whisking the roux!
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

I'm still waiting for my seconds of some motherfucking etouffee and cheese biscuits.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

They're in the Kitchen damnit...get 'em yourself :P
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »