Pete Sampras

What do you think about the sports world?
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Pete Sampras

Post by Kelshara »

Well one of the greatest champions of all time have retired. Yeah I know, tennis isn't THAT popular here (and hell I am not that huge of a fan), but it can't be denied that he is definitely among the best champions ever. Dominating for a decade, winning what.. 14 titles? And all the time displaying nothing but class act behavior.

Tennis lost an icon, it's really a shame. Should be more champs like him.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Agassi > Sampras

that is all.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Shanter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Shanter »

All the times Agassi played Sampras, Sampras beat him 20 times, compared to 14 times that Agassi beat him.

Sampras > Agassi
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

Sampras who? As in who cares, tennis is more boring to watch than golf. I like playing it though.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I watch the majors...and with that said, Wimbledon is by far my favorite. I will desperately miss Agassi/Sampras matches on grass courts :(
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

If we are to equate being the best with number of titles won, then there can be no question - Pete Sampras is head and shoulders above the rest of his generation. However, if our concept of 'best' includes ability to perform on every surface, moments of sublime skill, connection between player and crowd, then Andre Agassi can lay claim to being the number one. Sampras has power, speed and a wonderful range of shots. But he has never had the almost supra-human aura that marks certain individuals out. Agassi has it in abundance.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Talking about "aura" and such is fine, but you still have to consider facts when making a comparison, and the facts are these:

By any objective indicator, Pete Sampras is a better player than Andre Agassi. This isn't like comparing Babe Ruth to Barry Bonds, the two players are contemporaries. They played each other. Sampras won.

Moments of sublime brilliance? How about 6 straight years at number one? That's a career of sublime brilliance.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

What??? Skirt-ball!!??!! :P
en kærlighed småkager