what would you do?

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

If one of your parents was cheating on the other...

Poll ended at June 18, 2003, 5:33 am

I would tell the other
66%
I would not tell the other
34%

Total votes: 38

zagal
No Stars!

what would you do?

Post by zagal »

After reading a different poll on this site on somewhat of the same topic, it got me thinking.
Sparty
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sparty »

If one of your parents was cheating on the other...
I would tell the other
I would not tell the other

First, I wouldn't tell the other that the other was cheating on the other, but I would tell the other that I wouldnt tell the other that the other was cheating. That would just be stupid. I would however tell the other about the other knowing that the other was cheating on the other.

My name is other
Lor
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lor »

:microwave: <--- this is what my head felt like after reading Sparty's post......
Topper
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Topper »

i dont know how any child could let one parent be unfaithful to the other, and keep that a secret.

Unless they hate their parents.

And sparty .. :vv_eyes:
Ennia
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ennia »

heh it supposedly happened to my folks
and I was the last one in the family to know
wtf :(
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I'd certainly talk to the cheater about their behavior before mentioning it to the other person.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Etasi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Etasi »

Topper wrote:i dont know how any child could let one parent be unfaithful to the other, and keep that a secret.

Unless they hate their parents.
The assumption there is that not knowing you're being cheated on is worse than knowing, and I don't think that's always the case. Nor do I think (most) children are in a position to decide for their parents what is right for their relationship. It's one thing to tell someone that you're not going to actively lie for them, but it's quite another to decide that you know what's right for them.

Obviously it depends very much on the situation. In general, though, I disagree with the sentiment that children can "let" their parents do anything, one way or the other. If you truly love someone, you won't try and make their decisions for them, you'll just try and support them as best you can in the decisions they do make.

Of course, I've never been in this situation so maybe I'd feel differently if I had less distance from it.
Etasi Answer - Cestus Dei
Cut the kids in half
Topper
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Topper »

i wasnt trying so much as to say the child 'lets' the parent do anything.

"Nor do I think (most) children are in a position to decide for their parents what is right for their relationship"

The only decisions to be made by a child, if they find out that the parent is cheating on the other are - tell or not tell. But, seeing as i have never had to face that, im not quite sure if i would be so willing to tell. I think i would though.

Also, since when is cheating on a spouse the right thing to do?

Topper
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

You dont have to tell on them, I would think the old "If you don't tell them I will" would work. Let them face it.
That hopefully leaves you out of the nasty bit.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

I wouldn't tell. I would ask the parent to not do it again or else I will tell. I like my parents the way they are and wouldn't want that ruined over an indescretion. If it was a habitual / long term thing and they were no longer in love with the other, then I would encourage the parent to tell on their own and begin the seperation process.
Etasi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Etasi »

Topper wrote:Also, since when is cheating on a spouse the right thing to do?
I never said it was the right thing to do, far from it. It is simply my belief that there are very few absolute right and wrong answers as far as what will make two people happy.

Sometimes people just don't want to know, maybe because they wouldn't want to leave the relationship either way, and would not like the added pressure/emotional stress that came from knowing.

As I said, the answer depends very much on the specific situation and how well you truly know your parents and their relationship. But since this poll requires a general statement, then in general I don't think most people know their parents and their parents' relationship well enough to decide what is right for them and what will make them happiest. I don't think that there are many people in anyone's life that know them well enough to make their decisions for them.
Etasi Answer - Cestus Dei
Cut the kids in half
Acies
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Acies »

One way or another the other party would find out.
I agree with rhyae, better if you are not involved, but if you have too...

Frankly, not telling... no, there is no excuse for that type of betrayal. The other parent would know, one way or another.
Bujinkan is teh win!