Initial Planetside questions

All discussion moved to Video Game General Discussion
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Initial Planetside questions

Post by Ransure »

Ok, so got the game, last night I got my first 5 kills and got killed about 15 times.... WOW, I like the way death was implemented.... Im pretty sure out of my 170ish days in EQ 100 were spent loading at my bind point..

So, first off, questions on Certs and Implants... Ive cert'd in infiltration, gotten the suit, gotten the AMP... run into battle, and gotten my ass dropped so fast I thought I blinked... Am I just not fast enough in a infil suit to dodge bullets? or do I have to turn the thing on? Also, with my wraith I dont know if Im in camo mode or am I automatically camo'd?

Planes/Trains/Automobiles.... After flying for the first time in the VR... I was pretty addicted, but is it really worth it? is there a need for good pilots out there? Or are people in planes a dime a dozen? I kinda like the support roll it would offer me, but what else do I need to know about going in that direction? I dont really like any of the cars... so I dont think im gonna be a tanker or drive a car unless there is something Im missing in those certs.

Battle, I think I might be getting the hang of the zerglike melee that is either capturing or defending a base... but are there any tips or tricks to really getting good at this? everytime I try to get into a big fight, I seem to turn a corner strafing and have a MAX drop me quick.

Any and all advice appreciated...
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

in the infil suit, did you use 'K' to activate it? When enabled, when moving around you are also seen as a faint sillouhette - using shift to walk lessens the visibility more, but you are not completely hidden unless still.

As far as your role, go with what you like first - as you gain levels your options open up, and you can still do those things that you liked first off, while getting time to supplement or completely change your loadouts there after.

As far as skill goes, the current setup does support the mindless horde mentality, but skill can definately turn the tide in the tiny vs. medium zerg battles. You will always be more effective playing in a way that lets you communicate and coordinate with other people - i.e. regular squads/outfit.
Last edited by pyrella on June 6, 2003, 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

Press K to cloak

Crouch

Walk slowly crouching, I snuck right past 3 people in a CC and rehacked a terminal without them even knowing I was there, this was before everyone had darklight though.

Also wait for enemies to exit/enter areas and use the open door to your advantage. Its always less conspicuous (sp) when you get into a room right after an enemy runs in or out, versus hacking the door then sneaking in.... if someone was inside they would be alerted by the door opening and no one using it.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Try crouching with me in a CC. I dare you.

Basically infiltrator suits are great as long as you're not moving. Never give an enemy a reason to believe there's an infiltrator in the area, and you will do very well. As soon as they even have the inkling there might be an infil, they'll turn on darklight, and smoke your ass. As such, don't attack enemies in groups, wait until you've got someone alone, and take them out. Once they're dead and you haven't been discovered, reload your amp, and loot their backpack to take any ammo you're missing. I agree with what Xan said about doors. If you open a door, be sure that there's noone around before going through it. When I see a door open and there's no one there, I turn on darklight. To be an effective infiltrator, you must be patient.

There is always a need for good reaver and mosquito pilots. A good reaver pilot can turn the tide of a battle by providing close air support.

As an infil, MAXes should be avoided at all costs. It's very simply, not your job to kill a MAX. The tides of a battle for a base ebb and flow. After a few weeks, you'll get used to the chaos, and perhaps even enjoy/excel in it.

PS. Xan please post your charname and server so I know who to kill.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Rivera Bladestrike »

Air support is always needed, if your fighting a battle as strickly ground forces (as of now, the skyguard will change this hopefully), against a force that has both ground and air support, they'll destroy you. Air support destroys your most powerful opponents, your tanks and MAXs are easy prey for a good reaver pilot. If your good enough, you can take out several of both per death. While, without that air support, each of those tanks and MAXs would take many of your friendly infantry, possibly breaking through your lines and changing the tides of battle. If you like to pilot the reaver (definately worth it if you like flying, far more powerful than the mosquito due to the missles which total slow moving people.
My name is (removed to protect dolphinlovers)

Rivera / Shiezer - EQ (Retired)

What I Am Listening To
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I play an infiltrator full time, so I can attest to the patience thing. The key is crouch. It gets past spitfires, most snipers, and basically anything that doesn't use DL. With opening doors, I open them by standing next to them and creep in or use 't' to check as well. If anyone sees you, it's basically over unless they suck ass. I've killed people face to face with JH's and Chainguns (stolen of course) and also have been killed by suppressors. If your looking for a player to turn the tide of a war, an infil does as good of a job as anything else. As for sneaking in a CC yeah, I've done it a thousand times, and 8/10 of the times someone will have DL and a gun pointed right at you. Of the 2/10, 8/10 of those people will see you while hacking and promptly kill you.
Visual Echo
No Stars!

Surge!

Post by Visual Echo »

At level 6, you get an implant. Consider Surge, it allows you to run FAST. Infil with surge can often run so fast, if you're close enough, the enemy won't track your progress. Of course this won't work at a distance, but that distance is a lot shorter. With full stamina, a surge run can last a minute or so and goes as fast as a MAX on auto-run. Yesterday I surged into a CC and killed the VS standing on it before he saw me. Usually they'll get a shot or two off, but if it isn't a jackhammer, then you pick up their med-kits and heal yourself with them.