d) no opinion / balanced

10- Best heavy tank
a) TR (Prowler)
b) NC (Vanguard)
c) VS (Magrider)
d) no opinion / balanced
Here are my thoughts:

1 - Best knife
d) No opinion balanced - The knives all do identical damage (I've tested them on friends), but I like the look of the VS knife the best.

2 - Best handgun
a) TR (Repeater) - This gun is the most accurate of the three at range. For playing an infiltrator I prefer the AMP. The beamer's refire rate is far too slow, and there's no way I'd use a pistol that required me to carry two different types of ammo and ALSO had a poor refire rate (NC Shotty pistol).

3 - Best medium assault
a) TR (Cycler) - I like the cycler best. Contrary to popular belief, the cone of fire does not stay as tight as Jennifer Garner's ass. ;) The gauss is an excellent gun as well, and if I had to, I'd use it np. If it weren't for the energy ammo requirement, I'd probably pick up a few pulsar's to test extensively, but as things are I can only say that being on the business end of the pulsar sucks! :P

4 - Best heavy assault
b) NC (Jackhammer) - The jackhammer is absolutely the most devastating CQB weapon in the game. Just ask Kidriot. :P Being Terran, I've tested the Chaingun a bit, but I never liked the CoF expansion and I've never certed in it.

5 - Best anti-vehicle
d) no opinion / balanced - I don't really have an opinion here. I know the Striker is good because I've seen it in action. I know the Lancer is good, since my outfitmates who are certed in AV always ask me to save them. I'm fairly certain the phoenix is the most annoying, but most overrated of the three.

6 - Best AI MAX
d) no opinion / balanced - I don't play MAX suits so I really have no opinion other than to say I fear all enemy MAXes equally. I think the jumpjets on the VS maxes are an incredibly powerful tactical tool.

7 - Best AV MAX
d) no opinion / balanced - See above.

8 - Best AA MAX
d) no opinion / balanced - See above with the addendum that I think the TR AA MAX sucks.

9 - Best heavy buggy
d) no opinion / balanced

10- Best heavy tank
b) NC (Vanguard) - The NC Vanguard is by far the best Tank in the game. The Magrider is not too far behind. I like the prowler a lot, and it kind of bothers me that the only time I see them is sitting in a yard after the TR have already hacked a base. I don't really think it matches up well against the other empire's tanks, and the rate of fire on the main gun has been significantly reduced since beta.

Edit: Lancer != Lasher
Last edited by noel on May 26, 2003, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

In regards to the Heavy Tanks and rarely seeing Prowlers...I know that in Beta I would be all over the place around a base looking for people to run ove...erm, kill. There would be prowlers out there too...we would usually pull back to the base to help defend/repair once in a while which may be why you only saw them in the end.

Dunno about now though.
Salis
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Salis »

1 - Best knife

b) NC (Mag-Cutter)

Least obvious of the 3!

2 - Best handgun

b) NC (Mag-Scatter)

Pretty close to AMP, and i think personal preference of the infil counts but I like scatter OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS.

3 - Best medium assault

a) TR (Cycler)

Again pretty close to gauss but I think the bigger clip is an advantage.

4 - Best heavy assault

b) NC (Jackhammer)

Absolutely no question. Was running 8-1 average with it on NC before final. Due for nerfing I'd say...

5 - Best anti-vehicle

a) TR (Striker)

Phoenix is great for long range engagements, you can stand-off and kill OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of shit, but it's too slow firing for close work. Lancer is good vs. infantry :p

6 - Best AI MAX

a) TR (Pounder)

Total slaughter machine if you can handle the grief, nothing really comes close vs. infantry.

7 - Best AV MAX

a) TR (Dual Cycler)

Pretty crappy against vehicles but it's still awesome for MAX and infantry.

8 - Best AA MAX

b) NC (Sparrow)

Basically the saviour of NC in the air, a really good MAX against all those reavers but pretty underused (as with all AA).

9 - Best heavy buggy

b) NC (Enforcer)

From what I've heard the rocket system is really effective.

10- Best heavy tank

b) NC (Vanguard)

Close tie with magrider, mag can fire a gun with only a driver, so it gets single man whored OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS more! Vanguard gun is devastating for any target, it tears other vehicles apart.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

1. TR/NC Knives - They are all balanced, but the VS is visable when you are an infiltrator.

2. NC Scatter Pistol - Once again as an infil, I usually get my kills by sneaking up on someone and shooting. This just gets it done much faster than anything else, including the AMP.

3. TR Cycler - Bigger clip, better accuracy, and a little less recoil.

4. NC Jackhammer - If you need an explanation, play something else.

5. VS Lasher - The splash effect is a nice touch, and it also plays double for killing infantry.

6. VS Quasar - The Pounder gets too much grief for my liking and can not leave the ground. The Quasar is fast firing, high damage, and the fucker can fly.

7. TR Dual Cycler - Whoever thought of this is just plain sick.

8. NC Sparrow - It's nasty, and it can kill off infantry just as easy as an aircraft.

9. TR Marauder - More weapons than any other one, and can back up as an artillery.

10. VS Magrider - It brings an unfair advantage by being able to travel on water. Weapons on all are equally versatile, but none can swim except VS.
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Rivera Bladestrike »

Salis wrote:- Best AI MAX

a) TR (Pounder)

Total slaughter machine if you can handle the grief, nothing really comes close vs. infantry.
I love the AI Max for TR, it simply owns, not only can it literally tear through infantry, but just about 80% of the time, I take down a max head on regardless of what type. Its not uncommon to take one of these through 6 infantry and one max before eating it....
My name is (removed to protect dolphinlovers)

Rivera / Shiezer - EQ (Retired)

What I Am Listening To
Tyrone
No Stars!

Re: Cool Poll

Post by Tyrone »

1 - Best knife
b) NC (Mag-Cutter)
Least distinctive sound when turned on, i guess..other than that i dunno

2 - Best handgun
a) TR (Repeater)
By far best overall! however NC scatter is powerful, however anything that would be using that is toast if its that close.

3 - Best medium assault
a) TR (Cycler)
VV spec was totally right about this one, best bread and butter weapon

4 - Best heavy assault
b) NC (Jackhammer)
Over 1118 kills with this thing, need i say more? ( http://myplanetside.station.sony.com/ch ... worldId=12 )

5 - Best anti-vehicle
c) VS (Lancer)
Most damage per clip, good against soft and hard targets alike.

6 - Best AI MAX
a) TR (Pounder)
Tough one, but the more (zerglerific) a battle gets..the more kill spam these things do.

7 - Best AV MAX
d) no opinion / balanced
All good, so dunno

8 - Best AA MAX
b) NC (Sparrow)
It shoots dumbfire more accurately than the (NC)falcon, decent on the ground, the end all for Air.

9 - Best heavy buggy
a) TR (Marauder)
3 people transport, at high rate of speed has more armor than the other 2 as well. Enforcer is close tho, but anyone with an enforcer needs to buy a fucking vanguard.

10- Best heavy tank

b) NC (Vanguard)
No doubt about it, it does what a tank is there to do...make OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of trouble
Erolz NTurnet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Erolz NTurnet »

*post deleted by Moderator*
Deets
No Stars!

heh

Post by Deets »

1 - Best knife
b) NC (Mag-Cutter)
Quietest from what I can tell. VS knife is ultra cool, but glows and gives you away.

2 - Best handgun
d) no opinion

3 - Best medium assault
a) TR (Cycler)
from experience, it is not as close as some would think. gauss can hurt you for sure, but I've played med assualt a lot for all factions and most kills by far with cycler. Lot of room for skill here, and I think that many arguments stem from the fact you have a relative noob playing against someone more experienced. If you can't crouch, circle strafe and burst, you will lose against suppressors. The fact that TR has the WORST personnel of all the factions, I mean these guys are fucking retards, and people still complain about the cycler and loot them... should say something. Pulsar, even after the boost, is a joke. Again, though, skill of user more important than the weapon.

4 - Best heavy assault
b) NC (Jackhammer)
pffft

5 - Best anti-vehicle
c) VS (Lancer)
fastest kills, fastest shots, fastest reloads. aiming is a trick, but you can be devastating. also best ammo capacity. good vanu with lancer is force to be reckoned with. also great anti-sniper weapon. 3 shots to kill infantry, tight cof at range when crouched. you can't hit moving targets well, but sniper dies before he sees you if he doesn't move.

6 - Best AI MAX
a) TR (Pounder)

7 - Best AV MAX
a) TR (Dual Cycler)

No contest. I like maxes, I play all factions. I would have made an argument for the Quasar before the 2 nerfs in beta regarding accuracy and jump jet duration/recharge. I could kill many maxes early in beta with quasar and that made it even with the pounder in my book: versatility equalled raw killing power. Now it is not close. I challenge anyone to play other factions maxes and honestly say it is a fair competition. I feel guilty playing with TR maxes.

8 - Best AA MAX
d) no opinion
Haven't played them much, I will give the TR max cert a try as gravy at somepoint, but with vanu, infantry with lancer was FAR more effective than the starfire. Imagine it is the same with TR striker vs max. Sure, the max might kill faster, but it is a big target. Infantry can hit from cover and concentrate fire. Rather have 4 infantry with versatility of AA and AV weapon combination than 4 AA maxes that are worthless against everything else.

9 - Best heavy buggy
d) balanced
Thresher is amazing at running people over. Mini magrider, and its fast and more maneuverable. Gun sucks. TR buggy is nice against infantry, but really the chain gun isn't really that useful. The grenade is like having a pounder that can run 80kph. The NC buggy, now that is a trick. Tank killer in the right hands.

10- Best heavy tank
c) VS (Magrider)
Was the vanguard till splash damage for the mag. Trust me, a skilled mag crew with voice communication will own a battlefield. I haven't seen the terror of such a crew yet, but I know in beta, there was no vanguard or prowler that could match two guys in my outfit. I got ok at gunning, but couldn't resist the temptation of running people over, never became a master of the mag.

Neat poll, good to read others thoughts.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

I got my MAX Pounder on Friday night, got to 550 Grief by Saturday lunchtime and traded it back for a Striker til my grief settles down a bit. If only I could stop running ppl over in my Prowler. . .

I've only really played TR so far so I'll just give you my 2p: Striker is pure own - I racked up 40 MAX and 20 vehicle kills yesterday alone. Hvy Assault Chaingun is pretty poor and not worth the points IMO. Its very poor beyond medium range, not much better than a Cycler up close and you'll have problems carrying enough ammo in anything other than Reinforced armer.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

the best knife is the mag cutter. it's not as loud and doesn't glow.

the repeater wins best handgun for the specials but the AMP beats them all. I carry both but I have the repeater loaded with AP ammo to clear mines.

I personally feel that all 3 medium weapons are pretty balanced. The pulsar is not that great at range but being able to switch to AP instantly is fucking great and I actually got the kill on two maxes tonight with a stolen pulsar. It also has the longest burst before the COF expands. If it was equal at range as the cycler and gauss it would be really overpowered.

The Jackhammer is the best heavy weapon by just an overwhelming margin that it insults everyone's intelligence to even ask.

I like the striker the best for AV but I don't use AV much at all.

The best AI MAX is the Quasar. The pounder kills infantry faster but it also kills your teammates just as fast and you can die to your own rounds if a smart person runs right up to you when you're fighting and makes you eat your own splash damage. The scattercannon is just as good as the Quasar damage wise but I think the Vanu one wins for having a better special ability (jump jets over force field).

The best AV max is the Falcon for sure.

The best AA MAX is the Sparrow. Both the NC and VS AA MAX lock on but they work differently. The Vanu MAX locks on instantly and loses its lock the instant you take your crosshairs off it. The NC MAX takes about 2 seconds to lock on and the lock stays for about 3 seconds after you take the crosshairs away so even if the Reaver goes around a corner or behind a tree the Sparrow's missiles keep tracking it long enough to hit. To use an example, I have never once been shot down by a Vanu AA MAX but once an NC gets a lock on me I don't think I've ever survived. The TR AA MAX is a broken piece of utter fucking shit.

The best buggy is the enforcer.

The best tank is the Magrider by a huge margin, then the vanguard, then the Prowler WAY WAY behind.
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

vn_Tanc wrote:I got my MAX Pounder on Friday night, got to 550 Grief by Saturday lunchtime and traded it back for a Striker til my grief settles down a bit. If only I could stop running ppl over in my Prowler. . .
hehe I got up to 500 grief last night. But that was after a two-day constant play killing spree. Trick is, not to have retards on your side, usually i don't rack up that much grief, but over time and retards running down into my kill pit (lock down on a stairwell in a tower during a tower battle and just fire down as they walk in), you'd think that if you see a pounder firing rapidly into a certain area that has several enemies, that some idiot wearing agile on your side would stay away. But no, on more occassions than I can count, have these idiots ran down there and died near instantly.

What I Am Listening To
Ebumar
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ebumar »

Heh, like that time in beta where I racked up 912 greif in one single assault? Yeah, I killed around 70 - 80 VS, but I also killed damn near that on TR. Hey yeah, lets run infront of a pounder that is rooted shooting down a stairwell trying to route everyone out. Yes, retards, there is more than one way into a base.
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

My latest Pounder Pit racked me up 28 kills, (being squadless at the time, I got something around 3500xp), but got 300+ grief hehe, all in about 1 minute's time.

What I Am Listening To
Laliana
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Laliana »

Erolz NTurnet wrote:*post deleted by Moderator*
I missed drama? WTF! :cry:
Warlock of Ixtlan ~ Whisperwind
Wino
No Stars!

Post by Wino »

WTF stop telling people about NC AA MAX.

SHUT THE HELL UP.

- Reaver pilot
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

The NC has the strongest of everything. Jackhammer, scatter pistol, Vanguard, AA MAX, Phoenix, Guass are all the best of class.

The TR has the 2nd best medium assault (Cycler) and the best AI MAX (dual cycler...don't care what they label it). Our tank sucks, our AV rockets suck, our AA MAX is by far the weakest.

Vanu has the Lancer. That is all they need as it kills everything with impunity. It outranges the sniper rifle and saps health with no regard to armor. If a Vanu does not have a Lancer, he is either a MAX or driving the Magrider.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I would have to say I like the Cycler better. After using them both extensively last night, the 20 extra bullets per clip is a real advantage over the gauss.