What is your Opinion...

What do you think about the world?
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

What is your Opinion...

Post by Bubba Grizz »

on the coverage so far. I have been hearing and seeing things that just baffle me as to how the military can let them say what they do. I was watching the news where they were talking to an embedded reporter. The newscaster was asking questions like, "What direction are you going? How fast are you moving"? and the reporter was giving him that information. Personally I think that is too much info to be asking.

Granted that they prolly didn't suffer because of that but who is to say? "We are traveling north from (insert city name) at about 20mph". This information could cause major problems. I am more and more shocked at the information that is going out to the public. :shock:
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

They wouldnt be giving the information if they military had a problem with it. The journalists arent going to do anything that gives the enemy any sort of secret info, because the journalist's life hangs in the balance as well.

Infantry division movements are not something that happen in secret. The Iraqis know that the 3rd infantry is 50 miles outside of baghdad without hearing about it on Western broadcasts.

Bombing raids are different, which they don't report till the bombs have dropped.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Let me put it this way.. the coverage and what is being said are way different in Norwegian media than in American, even though the journalists are at the same place.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I'm sticking to the newspapers.
I tried listening to a live feed or CNN and theres just too much speculation as to what is going on.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

CNN.. Is 24 hours a day coverage really necessary? They're such dramamongers it bugs the shit out of me. I can see why people are staging protests at their offices. If I lived nearby I'd probably throw an egg at them!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

They're such dramamongers it bugs the shit out of me
I don't think that's a word but I totally agree with you.
They sensationalize everything.

If I lived nearby I'd probably throw an egg at them!
They'd probably post an opinion of an alleged expert that the aformentioned egg may have been laced with anthrax or something.

"We have reason to believe that the projectile launched towards the CNN offices may have delivered a small yield chemical warhead. Civilians on the scene reported a noxious odour eminating from the impact area"
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

The imbedded reporter thing was a horrible idea to start with. Actually on Canadian news one of the anchors on talk show just came out and called them "in bed reporters" because that is basically what they are.

From a propaganda point of view it is a fantastic idea. These reporters live and sleep with the troops, so obviously they are in a position where they can never report anything bad that happens, and the CO's can keep an eye on them and away from anything they don't want to see. The public is basically getting direct military controlled journalism like Stars and Stripes military publication that fed propaganda to the troops in Korea and VietNam.
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

kyoukan type-R wrote:The imbedded reporter thing was a horrible idea to start with. Actually on Canadian news one of the anchors on talk show just came out and called them "in bed reporters" because that is basically what they are.

From a propaganda point of view it is a fantastic idea. These reporters live and sleep with the troops, so obviously they are in a position where they can never report anything bad that happens, and the CO's can keep an eye on them and away from anything they don't want to see. The public is basically getting direct military controlled journalism like Stars and Stripes military publication that fed propaganda to the troops in Korea and VietNam.

Oh god I cant believe you posted that :o
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Aslanna wrote:CNN.. Is 24 hours a day coverage really necessary? They're such dramamongers it bugs the shit out of me. I can see why people are staging protests at their offices. If I lived nearby I'd probably throw an egg at them!
make it 2 eggs, and scrambled with cheese. I'll take a side of bacon, white toast, and a sweet ice tea! :p

the protesters must have tried to take public transportation here, because they never made it to the offices.

unless a couple bums taking a "bath" in the lobby bathroom sink counts as protest. It made me rethink coming into work, that is for sure.

Any network, be it CNN, MSNBC, or Fox would be beyond stupid to not go 24/7 with this coverage. There are hundreds of channels to watch, if you don't want to watch war coverage. I am happy i haven't heard about Robert Blake in over a week i will say that. That is what CNN, MSNBC, BBC World, and Fox News are: 24 hour news channels, and that is what they do:

If the type of 'dramamongering' you are referring to is the interviewing of wounded/captured/injured soldiers' families, I agree with you that i think it is both unneccessary and offers little substance. I tend to turn the channel when those are on.

This however is not a new trend in American television, nor something native to CNN. I think you will find that the news magazines on the major networks are the ones who created this monster, which for good or for bad does attract viewership. I too think it is not something i have any interest in watching.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

How many times do they get to lie to you and retract it a day later before you realize they lie.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Vor is a bit biased I think!

Whatever. I have a remote control. I live in a country where I have the freedom to turn the channel!

For now, anyway.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

It's a lose/lose situation. The news networks pretty much have to focus on the war, because, well, it's a war for christ's sake. But filling up that much time is a pretty tough task, so they're going to be doing a lot of speaking out their asses, dramatizing, and generally being annoying. Like Aaron Brown (I think that's his name... I try and block him out of my memory). I seriously can't take watching this guy. He asks the stupid questions, multiple times, in a "lets dumb it down for the common folks" tone of voice. I actually liked his coverage during 9/11, but I think it's worn thin by now and I just have trouble watching him.