Shock and Awe underway

What do you think about the world?
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Shock and Awe underway

Post by Vetiria »

Watching Fox news and they're panning across Baghdad without nightvision lense, and the city looks like one big fireworks display.
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

CBS is sayign this is a "scaled back" version of what was planned.
Shit.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Random MSNBC correspondent:

Well the building we were looking at a minute ago... is now gone.

I'd just like to say... holy shit.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

YEEEHHHAAAAAA!!1!!1!!!1!! Kickin the tirrs and litin the firrs, we're KILLIN US SOME SAND POEPLE!!!!!!1!

Now Kyoukan does not have to post, thank me at kyoukanfan@hotmail.com
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I still keep hearing that song "Bombs over Baghdad" in the back of my head.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

If you were watching this, you wouldn't be joking about it. We are kicking ass, but there's nothing pretty about it.
Jugata
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Jugata »

Actually there is. I am totally against this war but the precision and care that the US is taking is at least admirable.
Maddux
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Maddux »

I payed 16.95 so I could veiw all the March madness Tourney games at my comp at work.

Im finding myself not caring about hoops, but rather watching streaming video from ABC.
Bards Really do have more fun...
Gurugurumaki
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Gurugurumaki »

Maddux wrote:I payed 16.95 so I could veiw all the March madness Tourney games at my comp at work.

Im finding myself not caring about hoops, but rather watching streaming video from ABC.
Tourney games are relatively unimportant at this time.
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

Neither is this war....I mean honestly, can I affect it in any way? Is there any threat of us losing?

I mean shit, we kicked thier ass easily to begin with the first time, then we take most of thier weapons away and they keep a small amount for themselves, sure they have some of the more conventional weapons....but honestly, if they couldn't win before, they won't win this time for sure.

I don't know what the fuck those iraqian mother fuckers were thinking by hiding weapons. It was suicide. We had a large number of people over here that were just waiting for an excuse to kill some middle eastern ass after 9/11....why would you taunt us? YOU HAD NO CHANCE OF WINNING, not even 0.00001% chance.

Stupid...plain and simple stupid. Fucking idiots. They deserve to die for being so retarded. Allow people to surrender sure, but kill the rest.
-retired-
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Maddux touched on something very important.

Certainly collateral damage/civilian casualties are unavailable, but the amount of effort put into avoiding them is staggering. The target, time on target, weapon selection, direction of delivery, are all taken into account when we drop a bomb.

While this certainly does not make up for or excuse the deaths of civilians, it is at least the most noble way to fight modern combat I can think of.

Edit: Edited because I think it's rude to spell someone's name wrong.
Last edited by noel on March 21, 2003, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

We told them to get the fuck out of dodge. If they stayed around, especially after Thursday night, I can't say I feel too sorry for them. I feel bad for the Iraqi people in general, but I, much like anyone else would be running like hell to get out of there.
Adelrune Argenti
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Adelrune Argenti »

You know if we believed the Iraqi authorities we have probably never killed a military person in all the attacks. All we seem to attack are schools, hospitals, baby milk factories (dont get me started on this one. That just brings up a really strange picture), and other civilian targets.
Adelrune Argenti
Gurugurumaki
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Gurugurumaki »

Adelrune Argenti wrote:You know if we believed the Iraqi authorities we have probably never killed a military person in all the attacks. All we seem to attack are schools, hospitals, baby milk factories (dont get me started on this one. That just brings up a really strange picture), and other civilian targets.
Don't forget places of worship!!
Mak
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mak »

Zamtuk wrote:We told them to get the fuck out of dodge. If they stayed around, especially after Thursday night, I can't say I feel too sorry for them. I feel bad for the Iraqi people in general, but I, much like anyone else would be running like hell to get out of there.
And go where? I can't imagine there's much opportunity to travel right now.

On the other topic, it's amazing to me to see bombs drop on targets, and buildings right next door don't even lose power.
Makora

Too often it seems it is the peaceful and innocent who are slaughtered. In this a lesson may be found that it may not be prudential to be either too peaceful or too innocent. One does not survive with wolves by becoming a sheep.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

I heard a Fox corespondent on the radio yesterday say he had talked to Iraqi civilians and they said would sit on the rooftop watching because they saw from the first war how accurate the US was.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Mak wrote:And go where? I can't imagine there's much opportunity to travel right now.
Perhaps you missed the story on the news where over half the city evacuated into the mountains.
Gurugurumaki
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Gurugurumaki »

Sabek wrote:I heard a Fox corespondent on the radio yesterday say he had talked to Iraqi civilians and they said would sit on the rooftop watching because they saw from the first war how accurate the US was.
Obvious propaganda, all Iraqi's hate us...right?
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

The loss of life is staggering, there is little that is amusing, the fires are out of control, there is nothing pretty about this. There will be plenty to rebuild
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Gurugurumaki
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Gurugurumaki »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:The loss of life is staggering, there is little that is amusing, the fires are out of control, there is nothing pretty about this. There will be plenty to rebuild
Im sure the US and allies will have no problem in helping to rebuild the cities, as long as Saddam and his gov't are Muhatma~Loss of civilian life is important to us all, its a given.
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:The loss of life is staggering, there is little that is amusing, the fires are out of control, there is nothing pretty about this. There will be plenty to rebuild
The loss of military life? That's the goal of a war. If you are talking about the loss of civilian life being "staggering" where did you read this?
Gurugurumaki
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Gurugurumaki »

Krimson Klaw wrote:
The loss of military life? That's the goal of a war. If you are talking about the loss of civilian life being "staggering" where did you read this?
Either Iraqi television or just felt it added more to his speal~
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

There are 5 million people living in Baghdad alone, of course there will be civilian casualties (there have already been several). Where would they go? How would they go there? They are poor, surrounding countries have blocked their borders and they are surrounded by hostile forces.
Gurugurumaki
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Gurugurumaki »

Kelshara wrote:There are 5 million people living in Baghdad alone, of course there will be civilian casualties (there have already been several). Where would they go? How would they go there? They are poor, surrounding countries have blocked their borders and they are surrounded by hostile forces.
I wouldnt say hostile forces, unless you are referring to the Iraqi army.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Bets on how soon Kelshara will be arrested for an illegal war protest?
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Wasn't aware that posting my opinion here was illegal, Aranuil :)
Gurugurumaki
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Gurugurumaki »

Kelshara wrote:Wasn't aware that posting my opinion here was illegal, Aranuil :)
Xou has reported you to the proper authorities~
Adelrune Argenti
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Adelrune Argenti »

Iraqis confirm 14 injured and four killed during U.S. missile raids in Baghdad.
Pulled off of Airsecurity.com

Yeah 4 people is a massive loss of life.
Adelrune Argenti
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Kelshara wrote:Wasn't aware that posting my opinion here was illegal, Aranuil :)
I was making a joke that you would also be protesting the war and be arrested.

I seriously, seriously think certain people need to realize that the military effort =! to the political effort. We are attacking military targets. Certainly there will be unfortunate loss of life, and no one is discounting that. The fact remains, every precaution is being taken to avoid that.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

The 4 killed and 14 wounded was after the initial strike on the "leadership target of oppurtunity" strike. I would not believe any counts for civilian casualties that are reported from either side at this current time.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Gurugurumaki wrote:
Krimson Klaw wrote:
Either Iraqi television or just felt it added more to his speal~
If you watched it you would see what I meant. Yes I am talking civilians, Yes half the city left leaving 2.5 million people in the city, and yes... we blew the LIVING FUCK out of that city today. They did not lie when they said the scope of the bombings would be incredible. Yes it is a part of war, but it is also fucking ugly.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Gurugurumaki
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Gurugurumaki »

I still yet to see loss of life is staggering, but thxinfo~
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

hopefully they will nail at least 3k of the towlies to pay back for 911!
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

THAT'S WHAT WE'S A HOPE'N, YEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW!!1!!1!111
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

kyoukan type-R wrote:hopefully they will nail at least 3k of the towlies to pay back for 911!
Now your getting with the program Kyoukan Welcome aboard J/K
Fallanthas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fallanthas »

Yes, obviously the purpose of the current millitary campaign is to level the city and kill everyone in it.

Fucking idiots.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

kyoukan type-R wrote:hopefully they will nail at least 3k of the towlies to pay back for 911!
I really hope you don't think we all think that way. If you think this action is payback, vengeance, I think that's extremely sad.

If our only goal was headcount, there are far more efficient ways of accomplishing that.

Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

I really hope you don't think we all think that way. If you think this action is payback, vengeance, I think that's extremely sad.
Not all, but definitely some do. Even I, as a Norwegian who is hardly a threat to anything, have felt some of the anti-foreigner crap personally. Yes it is a vocal minority, but even those hurt.
Ninan
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Ninan »

Aranuil I too was watching this take place and I have to tell you it sent chills up and down my spine. The accuracy of the strikes are almost unbelievable. The targets are getting pounded and we aren't missing and hitting civilian non targets.

The amount of firepower is down right scary. The Iraqi General in the southern part of Iraq has already surrendered as of this post. I am of the belief that Suddam was killed in the initial attack on the high ranking official bunker. If not dead seriously wounded. I am betting the intelligence we got was right on the money. Many key outposts and cities are under our control and the tank divisions of the third army are within 100 miles of Bagdad.

I for one agree with Bush and his actions, basically saying a big screw you to the UN and the rest of the world. His actions will deter terrorist in the future knowing any attacks against the US will basically sign their death order and the death order of all their regimes causing terrorists to rethink about attacking us in the future.

Let terrorist get away with actions like 9-11 will only invite more disasters in the future. Bush has balls, I like it.
Ninan Nivasse

<a target="new" href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.h ... ">Ninan</a>
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

for one agree with Bush and his actions, basically saying a big screw you to the UN and the rest of the world. His actions will deter terrorist in the future knowing any attacks against the US will basically sign their death order and the death order of all their regimes causing terrorists to rethink about attacking us in the future.
Except you forget that the terrorists are not affraid of dying, they believe they become martyrs and go to their version of heaven then.

And Bush might have balls.. too bad he doesn't have a brain to go along with them.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I have no problems whatsoever with assisting terrorists in making it to their vision of heaven. I think there are reasonable reasons for us to be in Iraq, but I think they have far less to do with terrorism than has been played out. When they state they are preventing the possibility of future terrorism that is reasonable in my opinion.
Ajran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Ajran »

Kelshara wrote:Except you forget that the terrorists are not affraid of dying, they believe they become martyrs and go to their version of heaven then.
Then we are doing them a favor.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Kelshara wrote:There are 5 million people living in Baghdad alone, of course there will be civilian casualties (there have already been several). Where would they go? How would they go there? They are poor, surrounding countries have blocked their borders and they are surrounded by hostile forces.
It was also announced that the surrounding countries were asked to leave their borders OPEN to the escaping population.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Hasn't happened. Turkey is ready to move forces into Northern Iraq to create a larger buffer against the flood of refugees they expect. Jordan has shut down their border. Iran? Heh right.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Kelshara wrote:Hasn't happened. Turkey is ready to move forces into Northern Iraq to create a larger buffer against the flood of refugees they expect. Jordan has shut down their border. Iran? Heh right.
Turkey and Iran have had talks about the "Kurdish Issue" already.

The Turkish forces moving into Iraq could be a bad omen. But it may be something that we can take care of diplomatically.

All in all the war has gone well for the US obviously. Hussein seems to be alive, but i think he and his army have been sent a message loud and clear. I think they have also been given a rather lenient amount of time to capitulate, all things considered.

Mostly of course, because it is in our interests if they do. We shall see.
I hope to catch Ted Koppel tonight. I think he is embedded with the 3rd Infantry. I assume they will feature him in Nightline at 11 Eastern tonight on ABC.
Sheryl
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sheryl »

Bush's approval rate has shot up to 67%. CNN of course compared it to Bush's daddy-o who was at an 80% approval rate in the first week of Desert Storm, but still, that's a 10 point jump from last week. Not bad.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Ajran wrote:
Kelshara wrote:Except you forget that the terrorists are not affraid of dying, they believe they become martyrs and go to their version of heaven then.

I need to ask, why the fuck are they hiding, why not come out and say here we are! I think they are very afraid, otherwise we would know who everyone of em are.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

heh use your brain. They are on a mission from god they believe. Their mission is to take as many people with them as they can when they die. They are not affraid of dying, they just want to bring you with them.