Quest 3 VR Headset

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Quest 3 VR Headset

Post by Winnow »

I pre-ordered the Quest 3. It should be here day of release Oct 3rd.

I've hated Facebook for as long as I can remember.

I've mellowed a little on Mark Zuckerberg and Meta for a few reasons.

Zuck has been dedicated to VR for a long time now and no one else/company has stepped up to the plate. He also doesn't seem to take himself as seriously these days and laughs at the memes etc.

The above interview is really worth watching but if dont want to watch the whole thing, at least watch first 3-5 minutes to see how realistic the avatars are and facial expressions are. The rest of the interview is very interesting regarding the future of VR and AI.

Quest 3 will be my Oculus DK2, HTV Vive, Oculus, Oculus Go, Oculus Quest, Quest 2...7th VR headset! : )

It's the first one I can truly recommend to common folk. I still use my Quest 2 every night which will be replaced by the Quest 3.

The pancake lenses are a big deal. The previous lens solutions created god rays, etc.

Mixed reality is a big deal. The simple example of hanging digital pictures on your actual walls so you see them anytime you have the headset is on is a good one. Also placing things in your room such as game achievement awards etc is a cool thing. The possibilities for mix reality are vast in gaming and work/media. I watch videos on a monster screen in my Quest 2 at night but having that screen there while also seeing the outside world (clear enough to read test on your phone) is awesome. A lazy example would be getting up to get a drink from the fridge, you can keep watching your monster screen while also seeing the real world so you can walk to your fridge, grab a drink then go sit back down without needing to pause.

The key thing about Mixed Reality is it's optional. Basically just tapping the side of the headset toggles mixed/full VR so if you want to watch that video while sitting on the beach you can but tap the headset to open up your real room to get that drink etc.

The Quest 3 is a solid piece of tech. Lots of nice improvements over the Quest 2 in power, ergonomics etc.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Quest 3 VR Headset

Post by Winnow »

After a couple days of use, I can confirm, Mixed Reality is pretty bad ass.

Swapping out Quest 2 for 3 was very easy. Similar to Apple/Android app stores, you can easily re-install apps/games on new device.

I can't see shit up close anymore (old age)...but, because VR always has your eyes focus at infinity and I have 20/20 vision, I could read my phone text messages using the cameras built into the Quest 3 without having to remove it.

Quest 3 solved the last remaining ease of use obstacles. Instead of drawing your play boundaries, you just look around your room and the Quest 3 scans it for you. I did walk around my entire room, behind things etc because it scans front and back of things. So when the aliens started popping out of the ceiling, walls etc, they hid behind items in my room and I could walk around my entire room, not just a square space, to shoot them.

I use VR to watch videos, youtube, movies etc a lot and the clarity is finally to a point where it's just as good as your TV but any size you want, on monster screen etc. text is very sharp now, you can actually work inside VR using VR Desktop, Immersion and other Apps that allow you to access your PC and create multiple virtual monitors placing them anywhere you want and can do that in mixed reality or VR.

New pancake lenses are way better with no more god rays.